Forum Settings
Forums
Jul 14, 2014 9:51 AM
I haven't watched this film for years, but I remember appreciating it as a film, but finding it mostly distressing due to my feeling sorry for the main character, and weird due to the differences between my own culture (British) compared to the Japanese culture portrayed. Possibly the weirdest thing I remember from this film, which was the reason for it not receiving an English dub, as far as I'm aware, is the discussion of periods. From what I remember, the boys even try to look up the girl's skirts to -... OMG.... See if they have periods? WHAT? Sick? Or what? So is/was there some kind of perverted attitude to periods in Japan, or is a strange aspect of the film, showing how... Erm... Immature little kids can be?

After watching much more anime since this, I'm still slightly freaked out by the amount of times anime characters look up girl's skirts, even by other girls, but that's not quite the same thing as in this film. If you are Japanese/know a little bit more about Japanese culture than I do, can you please explain the behaviour in this film?

Dec 20, 2016 9:59 AM

i don't know much about Japanese culture but i think this is sort of universal where children are simply curious. they don't have the full knowledge of periods yet and for them it's something mysterious. so mischievous children + curiosity = formula for..that.

Dec 20, 2016 10:11 AM
Hmmm, that's a good point. Children can come across as a bit rude while they're just simply being curious.

Aug 31, 2017 12:15 PM

Mightyzebra said:
From what I remember, the boys even try to look up the girl's skirts to -... OMG.... See if they have periods? WHAT? Sick? Or what? So is/was there some kind of perverted attitude to periods in Japan, or is a strange aspect of the film, showing how... Erm... Immature little kids can be?

The boys behaviour is only realistic. It's about ridiculing girls. This behaviour is common around the world and often defended with "boys will be boys"-talk.

Studio Ghibli were audacious to include the subject of menstruation. This is clearly a feminist film and for that it was not distributed in the west.

The Walt Disney Company acquired the US distribution rights from Studio Ghibli-Tokuma as part of a more comprehensive rights agreement. Disney decided it would not release Only Yesterday in the US due to references to menstruation in the film. A clause in Studio Ghibli's distribution contract prohibited Disney from altering the scene to remove the references.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102587/trivia

Aug 31, 2017 12:23 PM

zodd0 said:
Mightyzebra said:
From what I remember, the boys even try to look up the girl's skirts to -... OMG.... See if they have periods? WHAT? Sick? Or what? So is/was there some kind of perverted attitude to periods in Japan, or is a strange aspect of the film, showing how... Erm... Immature little kids can be?

The boys behaviour is only realistic. It's about ridiculing girls. This behaviour is common around the world and often defended with "boys will be boys"-talk.

Studio Ghibli were audacious to include the subject of menstruation. This is clearly a feminist film and for that it was not distributed in the west.

The Walt Disney Company acquired the US distribution rights from Studio Ghibli-Tokuma as part of a more comprehensive rights agreement. Disney decided it would not release Only Yesterday in the US due to references to menstruation in the film. A clause in Studio Ghibli's distribution contract prohibited Disney from altering the scene to remove the references.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102587/trivia

I've always thought that was bizarre, considering they let the Canadian cartoon Braceface run on the Disney Channel at the same time in which the main character gets her period.

Perhaps they also thought the film would be too slow for younger audiences/wouldn't fit with the rest of the Ghibli catalog they had released.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"