Forum Settings
Forums

Anime You Watched Before But Wouldn't Watch Now If You Hadn't Heard Of It And Vise Versa

New
Jul 13, 2014 10:57 AM
Oct 2013
It can be when you were younger or when you first got into anime. Sometimes our tastes and perspectives will change due to our aging or because we got into a wider variety of anime. This causes us to gravitate towards other types of anime and explore, leaving our old tastes behind or simply losing interest.

What If you had never seen the anime you watched when you were younger or when you first got into anime? And now that you're older or you have explored other anime, you get reintroduced that anime somehow. Would you still have an interest in it? Do you think it would captivate you like it did when you were younger or during your early anime days?

What anime? Why? Why not?

What about the reverse? What anime that you watch now would you not have watched in your early stages of anime?

For me. I'm an early 90's baby so I got introduced to anime through Toonami and Adult Swim. So lets say that I've never heard of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Detective Conan.

By now I've been exposed to many types of anime. I typically avoid the Shounen genre with a few rare exceptions. I doubt that I would ever have watched any of those.

Most likely if I had never grew up with those anime, I would have thought Pokemon was pointless, I wouldn't understand the popularity of Dragon Ball Z and I would think it's terrible. Fullmetal Alchemist, I would have avoided it just because it's a shounen (even though it's not heavy with shounen symptoms). That would be me missing a good anime. Inuyasha wouldn't even cross my mind. I would just see it as another generic love/fighting anime. Detective Conan I wouldn't have even clicked on.
blaboJul 13, 2014 10:02 PM
Jul 13, 2014 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
pokemon is a given
Jul 13, 2014 1:09 PM

Mar 2014
romagia said:
pokemon is the only exception

high fives

anyways, probably Kill la Kill. if i were to randomly come across this show, i probably wouldn't have picked them up just by seeing the picture/reading the synopsis.
Jul 13, 2014 1:28 PM
Jul 2014
Da Capo

It was probably one of my first harems. Seriously, I have no clue how I managed to watch four seasons of that crap. The current me wouldn't even make it past the synopsis.
Jul 13, 2014 1:31 PM

Apr 2013
Now and Then, Here and There.
Coppelion
Jul 13, 2014 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
Aku no Hana got some attention from its silly little rotoscoping gimmick at the beginning but its virtually forgotten now which I personally think speaks for its actual quality. I know it existed because I was watching anime in that season but if I weren't I wouldn't be surprised if I'd never heard of its existence.

This might sound strange coming from someone who gave the show an 8/10, but if I were to watch Attack on Titan before I got into anime I guarantee you I would not have gotten much further than episode one. People like to say that stuff like K-ON sets a bad example while grimdark shonenshit like Titan proves the misconceptions wrong but for me it was literally the exact opposite. I already know that shows like Titan exist and that's why I avoided anime. I did not know of the existence of anime that wasn't grimdark or kid's shit so finding out about the slice of life genre is what motivated me to get into anime.
Jul 13, 2014 6:06 PM

Jan 2014
2x2=Shinobuden
Jul 13, 2014 10:00 PM

Dec 2008
I got into during Toonami/Kids WB during the '90s, like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Cardcaptor Sakura. I think I might have a lot more difficulty enjoying them now. I would probably think Sailor Moon was boring because of the monster-of-the-day stuff that kept me watching as a kid because "OMG I might miss the plot!" Unfortunately, Cardcaptor Sakura might fall into the same situation because I'd be quickly judgmental and assume it falls into a boring, repetitive formula. And I'd probably skip Pokemon because I'm even finding the games difficult to enjoy these days. These days they're nostalgic favorites.

Honestly, there's probably a lot on my list I wouldn't have watched - especially the longer magical girl shows - unless a friend introduced me to it because I got into anime on my own just from watching a lot of TV. Sailor Moon lead me to discover more and more anime. Which is weird to think about since Sailor Moon was the start of my magical girl obsession that continues today.

And thinking a step beyond: If I was suddenly introduced to anime now without any kind of experience with it before, I think a lot of stuff in my life would be different, but assuming that I would still like cartoons in general, I'd probably still find some anime on [adult swim] like Attack on Titan out of boredom and be totally mesmerized by it.
Jul 13, 2014 10:06 PM
Oct 2013
I just thought of this part and added it into the topic and the beginning post.

In no way, shape or form, would I have ever imagined that I would be watching the anime that I'm into now. What with me being into the popular anime from TV and all. I thought Dragon Ball Z was everything and anything else sucked in comparison.

Give it some time younger me. Give it some time.
Jul 13, 2014 11:12 PM

Sep 2009
romagia said:
pokemon is a given

Definitely this. When I watched anime in my childhood it was always series from 4Kids or other cheesy dubbing companies and they genuinely appealed to me at the time, but my tastes were still undeveloped and I hadn't been exposed to anything more meaningful or even engaging. Trying to keep up with Pokemon now (out of some sense of loyalty to one of the first shows I watched outside of actual cartoons like Blue's Clues, Zaboomafoo, and the like) has become more of a chore than anything else. I'll admit that there are times when I'm (re)watching series from my youth that I still find myself captivated by the story, action, or whatever else, but those moments are few and far in between. I can still appreciate the more childish series from when I started anime, but as my horizons expand, exposure to a far higher quality makes those simpler series far less appealing.

But I guess that applies to just about anything in life. Once you've experience quality, it's hard to go back.
Jul 13, 2014 11:18 PM

Aug 2010
Naruto and Love hina.

I cant believe i managed to watch these things. I guess i did not really know what anime was back then.

And i think my past me would never have watched anything with romance or slice of life in it, while currently its possibly my favorite 2 genres.
Jul 15, 2014 3:06 PM

May 2014
I wouldn't watch Ouran Highschool Host Club because I don't like gender bender
anime. But Ouran turned out to be really good.
"It's time for beatin' the homeless to the oldies!"

- Hajime Muroto.
Jul 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
Mirai Nikki, never heard about it until January 2013.
I stand with Freedom, no matter the cost, no matter the price.

Jul 15, 2014 3:43 PM

Apr 2013
Well of course there are the obvious ones like Pokemon and DBZ that I loved when I was younger that I would find awful now.

I have no idea what I found so appealing about shounen shows like Bleach either. By the time I finished watching Bleach I think I was just watching it because I wanted some form of closure and not because I was enjoying it at all. In fact I hate it and have no idea what I found enjoyable about it. I blame ignorance.

Shows I enjoy now that I would not have liked when I was younger are definitely a lot of the character driven/actionless shows like Nana, Monster, Spice and Wolf, ect. Which oddly enough are among my favorite now.

The older I get the more I enjoy character development, dialogue and depth over explosions and awkward teen romances.
Jul 15, 2014 3:48 PM

Jul 2012
Fushugi yuugi
Jul 15, 2014 3:53 PM

Feb 2010
Ichigo 100%, I watched it before I even knew what ecchi is just because someone recommended it to me back when i was completely new to the medium.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 16, 2014 7:35 PM

Jun 2010
The only way I found out about Baccano! was that I saw it in a funimation catalog. Thought it looked cool and so I watched it. Didn't hear any buzz or checked out any reviews
Jul 16, 2014 7:40 PM

Jul 2013
I had to reread the title a few times to actually understand it.
Jul 16, 2014 11:22 PM

Dec 2012
None. I didn't give up my old tastes I just added more to my list in addition to what was already on it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 17, 2014 3:01 AM

Jul 2014
defo dragonball

Jul 19, 2014 7:49 PM

Jun 2014
Ao no exorcit, I don't even know how I finished it, just pure nonsense
Jul 21, 2014 9:23 PM

Aug 2013
Highschool of the Dead.
After I finally broke out of only watching Naruto, DBZ, and Pokemon (still love all of them), I was told Highschool of the Dead was the best anime there is. Wish I wasn't that gullible

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 5 hours ago

22 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

17 by APolygons2 »»
14 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 29 minutes ago

1 by W3TFT »»
22 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 6 hours ago

10 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by FZREMAKE »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.