Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 8, 2015 2:47 PM

May 2010
Overall pretty good series, sad that it will remain unfinished (anime-wise). I will definitely not forget this series as it's one of the most graphic that I've seen lol.
Nov 22, 2015 3:38 AM

Jan 2012
Don't feel sorry for the master ,time to read manga i guess .

Dec 27, 2015 11:21 AM

Jul 2015
Nice show, but looks like Madhouse will add it to their scrap heap of single season shwos as expected.

I read the first few chapters of the manga, and the art was surprisingly passable, so I guess it was very very successful at being an ad too
Jan 11, 2016 5:08 PM
Oct 2011
This is the same disappointment I felt when I finished watching Berserk.
Apr 2, 2016 10:05 PM

Feb 2016
I find it ironic that Irako's certain victory stance (sword flicks up in great speed upwards) is more representative of the Nagareboshi (shooting star) and superior to Kogan's original slingshot move..
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 24, 2016 5:07 PM

Aug 2013
Well that was anticlimactic lol
Jan 10, 2017 10:04 PM

Dec 2015
Nooo it can't end like this!! I want more!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 17, 2017 3:54 AM

Jan 2010
Wow, this was awesome series. Great art, awesome atmosphere. Story was told in an awesome way. Shame that it did'nt get 2nd season, looks like I will have to read the manga
Mar 5, 2017 11:45 PM
Jan 2017
Does this last episode wrap up the story and give this anime a definitive conclusion ? Anyone ?
Mar 11, 2017 12:49 AM

Mar 2012
Akira_Veidt said:
Does this last episode wrap up the story and give this anime a definitive conclusion ? Anyone ?

Not really, its more of a, go read the manga to finish the story, type deal, although I heard from a friend the manga is also somewhat ambiguous in it's ending.

Any who, it wasn't necessary for this anime to show the first episode with the way it ended, although this was an awesome as hell watch. 8/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 11, 2017 4:01 AM
Jan 2017
I see. I was gonna watch it no matter what but, it helps to know these kinda things beforehand. Thanks.
Mar 16, 2017 7:05 AM

May 2016
I didn't expect Irako to have a very different singing voice. I shivered when he almost jumped on that blade. Iku's version of a bad end surprised me for a second since I thought that actually happened then remembered that Irako shiuldn't die there. The Kogan Tiger design was very remarkable, I must say.

Kogan might've survived if he didn't slice down his bodyguards but they wanted to killsteal so I guess they had it coming. Despite being a fucking bitch throughout the series, I felt bad for Kogan when he started to appreciate his daughter as his daughter a tad too late... I kinda chuckled when Mie fainted tho.

Fujiki's so desperate that he's giving mouth ta mouth resuscitation to a half-faced corpse of a mad man. Gonzaemon's grieving death wails were a little hard ta take in. It ended too early since Fujiki didn't get his arm cut off kek.

This series captured the freaky kill or be killed world of Feudal Japan quite well in a disturbing way. It could've been a few episodes longer to explain what happened in the first episode though.

May 11, 2017 10:09 AM

May 2016
darklord213 said:
Hey can you guys please explain why is irako so powerful that he killed the master

My memory was a bit fuzzy but after takin' a look at the final fight scene, I think I have an idea.

Despite Irako being blinded, he was already used to that disability and incorporated it into his sword style, proof of which he has managed to kill most of the Iwamoto dojo elders. He was already a gifted swordsman before he arrived at the Dragon's dojo and he even managed to train under it for a few years. The reason why Kogan lost was maybe that Irako realized that he uses the same freaking move to end every serious battle he's in and read his movements (Irako even managed to pull off what Kogan when he sliced that rice grain on that lady's nipple). He dodged Kogan's Nagareboshi and held his sword in a similar fashion that Fujiki does by holding the very tip of the hilt. It had better reach and it slashed the Dragon first, chopping half his head off in the process.

Orrrr Irako's just that OP lolz

Sep 4, 2017 5:32 PM
May 2012
a backstab -.-
will read the manga someday.
Sep 21, 2017 4:53 PM

Oct 2015
This wonderful series left me hanging and asking myself lots of questions like how did Fujiki lost his arm and how did Irako became such a demented man. The duel never continued, what the hell was that oh man this was a great series to watch and hoped to see more. I am glad Irako killed that bastard Kogan he got what he deserved ( the writer wanted us to feel sorry for him in the end), I hope Fujiki dies when it continues somewhere in the future.
lihle808Sep 21, 2017 4:57 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 5, 2017 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
"An eye for an eye. I'll show you even greater hell than the one you gave me."

That's how I sense Irako Seigen burning feelings of revenge throughout the entire process of murdering Kogan Style people. More or less, they deserved what they got. I'm so glad they all f'''ing dead, especially that old rotten piranha, Kogan. *spits* Piece of shit was pissing me off the most.
Feb 16, 2018 8:15 PM

Nov 2014
That was simultaneously revolting and outstanding. Definitely an experience I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Episode: 5/5
Overall: 8/10
Apr 13, 2018 9:09 PM
Jun 2013
well for a dude who got half his face cut off he was handling it well. So I guess we arent going back to the fight. At least the biggest asshole of all the assholes finally died. This show was meh. It had some nice violence and some nice visuals but nothing else. Everyone was ether crazy or just awful people so there was no reason to care about what was going on. This in the end was a tough sit through and thank god it was only 12 episodes.
Apr 23, 2018 5:52 PM
Dec 2014
This show proves that there is more to anime than kyoani and cringy LN adaptations, if you want.
Apr 25, 2018 11:15 PM
Feb 2018
Overall this series for me, was okay.

It annoyed me that the pacing was so slow and that episode 1 you don't get a resolution. It would have been better if it wasn't shown if the show was never going to fully build up on it. The whole series felt like a waste of time due to this fact. I understand that it's due to not being finished in the manga.

Aside from that the animation was top notch (expected from Madhouse) and the setting was great.

Exposition the anime gets 6/10 out of me. Just for the polish and the story falls flat for me due to false promise of a build up. (Hoping for season 2)
Aug 8, 2018 3:41 AM

Nov 2016
I'm so glad that I stumbled over this show. It's definitely something that stands out in terms of atmosphere, really enjoyed the calm sensation it emitted and the goosebumps on top.

Even tho the story wasn't the factor which captivated me it was still good enough to keep me interested in the events.

8/10 from me

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 30, 2018 12:42 PM

Mar 2018
Too bad they never made a second season of this amazing show.
Jan 6, 2019 12:10 PM

Jan 2014
this show was quite mad and warped, still enjoyed it a lot - strong 8/10
it's true that I wanted to see continuation of the whole thing with the Lord and their fight that began the series, maybe they had second season planned but it never actually happened?
well too bad, wouldn't mind another rough ride
Zapraszam POLSKOJĘZYCZNYCH - www.payhip.com/KacperAlgierskiTalesPL
K A T - Legenda Zza Światów - wstęp:
W dawnych czasach, które już niemal całkowicie przeminęły, magia i posługujące się nią istoty,
a także zaklęte stwory i złowrogie, nieokiełznane bestie
zamieszkiwały Zza Światy, pomiędzy którymi można było odbywać podróże.
Wiedza na ten temat była jednak przekazywana wyłącznie nielicznym wybrańcom.
Wielcy bohaterzy musieli stawać do walki ze złem, w obronie dobra,
by przezwyciężyć zagrażające równowadze mroczne widmo ciemności i chaosu
i zaprowadzić niezbędny wszem wobec praworządny ład i porządek.
Oto legenda jednego z nich…
Apr 9, 2019 4:34 PM

Apr 2009
We need more shows like these nowadays.

9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2019 2:35 PM
Apr 2016
I didn´t like this at all, the art was great but everything else not so much, the pacing is way toooo slooow to the point i found very tedious to watch this anime, it would be better if this was a 90 minutes movie instead of a 12 episodes series but with faster pacing instead, the animation is good when there is some of it but most of the time it looks like a slideshow, i also think they overdid that grain filter and those cicadas sounds. There is almost no character development and i didn´t like any of the characters, no one was likeable and i found the story to be your standard revenge story presented in a needlessly confusing way with all those time skips, and the ending does not resolve the cliffhanger presented in the first episode

I know that the anime is like 1/3 of the manga and the unanswered questions are solved in the manga but they could have tried at least to wrap up the fight presented in the first episode and explain how Furiki lost his arm as well. I rate it 5/10, mostly because of how slow it was and the ending wich left a lot of things unresolved.
charlieman999Jul 27, 2019 2:41 PM
Mar 14, 2020 4:37 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Some ok episode and some great, overall 7/10 I like the mature and gore aspect but it was a bit too slow
Aug 18, 2020 2:06 PM

Aug 2012
Loved the atmosphere and pace of the series (expect the part of it not being finished of course), it reminded me of some classic Samurai cinema.

The gore was abit too graphic for my taste and some actions by characters, specifically eating a womans nipple was just overly grotesque in my opinion and seemed over the top for that character to even do something like that.

It is a shame we never got more of this. If only because despite being a Japanese art form it is somewhat bizarre how Samurai focused Anime are such a rarity. Oh well.

While I would have liked to have seen this story completed I'm not overly upset about not having to stomach more of the gore this series would have presumably continued to 'offer'.

Still the series had great artstyle, brilliant ost and the story up to this point was gripping. 8/10
Oct 9, 2020 5:30 PM

Apr 2009
the manga is finished, if you want to know how it plays out. gore stays about the same @BlaizeV
Nov 1, 2020 8:44 AM

Oct 2020
Shigurui anime and it's superior manga are highly underrated.

I finished the manga a couple of years ago and it's definitely worth reading, one of the best Samurai stories ever, the ending was shocking, underwhelming, tragic and the best possible conclusion.
Mar 15, 2021 9:08 PM

Jul 2013
AHH I really wanted to see a continuation of the first episode, Irako vs. Fujika. And to see how he lost his arm/got a limp. I didn't expect the season to end like this welp.

Anyway, 8/10 for me. The OST was excellent, so while maybe I'll read the manga one day, IDK if the manga can be as epic as a season 2.
Mar 18, 2021 9:12 PM

Jun 2020
FUJIKI! NO DON'T DO THAT TO SENSEI!
This was some top quality gore right there. 10/10
Jun 14, 2021 9:31 PM

Sep 2016
Golly bro so we gotta read the manga huh Madhouse lemme get that S2!!
Facta Non Verba
Jun 21, 2022 5:36 PM

Feb 2020
pretty underwhelming ending...at least kogan got what he deserved

it's been implied since episode 1 that irako kills fujiki in their duel, but we at least deserve to know how fujiki lost his arm. apparently the anime ended before the manga did, which I assume is why it ended like this...guess I'll read it if I can find it online.

all in all, it felt very promising, but ultimately lackluster. I still feel like I know absolutely nothing about the guy who's supposed to be the main character. perhaps because of how it was adapted? phenomenal atmosphere but gonna have to go with 5/10
Aug 27, 2022 7:08 PM
Oct 2017
I just wonder why on Earth did Mie show up dressed in a wedding gown? What was she thinking? That her father was STILL going to wed her with Irako when he came back like that?
Sep 9, 2022 12:24 PM

Feb 2015
What the heck is this ending? Great, now I have to read the manga to find out more cause chances of a season 2 happening is nearly impossible.
Aug 5, 2023 7:53 AM
May 2017
There decision to show us the climax but not animated everything in between was horrendous. Also, in the novel the duel shown in the first episode Fujiki win's it but in the Anime we get a vision of Irako cutting him open. I don't get the decision made during production.

Anyway, it was a great final battle between Kogan and Irako.
Nov 8, 2023 3:56 AM
Aug 2022
Mind-fack for the sake of mind-fack is not cool but overall unusual and very good story and ost.
Jan 11, 6:38 PM
Jul 2021
The last episode might be the most artistic yet.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Dec 3, 2007

53 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 3 Discussion

zq - Sep 4, 2007

49 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 28, 2007

36 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:27 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 7 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

34 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:08 PM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

_edge_ - Oct 25, 2007

58 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 7, 2023 3:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.