Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
DO NOT ASK WHEN SUBS/RAWS WILL BE RELEASED, OR WHERE TO DOWNLOAD/WATCH THE EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, so now there's mech action. I'm not too used to their designs yet but I kinda like the purple mech.

I find Inaho interesting to watch in this series. He is quite indifferent to almost everything so far. I kinda feel sorry for Inaho's friend there though. The ED song was alright but I thought the OST was awesome as usual.
julyanJul 12, 2014 8:37 AM
Jul 12, 2014 9:01 AM
Jul 2014
cool op,nice OST,interesting episode and battle scene was ok
I hope this anime will be better
Jul 12, 2014 10:29 AM

Jun 2013
Still loving that soundtrack, the mecha that Trillram was using was awesome. Inaho friend at the end there died which was a bit sad, I would of thought Inaho would have shown a bit more emotion when that happened.
Douglas24Jul 12, 2014 10:32 AM
Jul 12, 2014 10:31 AM

Mar 2014
I like the amount of action so far, the animation is nice, the mecha movements get a little funny a couple of times but I like their design-
(which i don't say often about mechas)
death scenes are good
music is good
so far..... so good, looking forwards to next ep.

BTW: Inaho seems like he's gonna be a boss and Marito's fight was awesome.
zunderdog24Jul 12, 2014 10:37 AM
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Jul 12, 2014 10:32 AM

Aug 2013
Awesome OST so far.
My Candies:
Jul 12, 2014 10:34 AM

May 2013
I didn't really like the OP song which is weird because Yuki Kajura is love. Didn't really feel anything when Inaho's friend died. So, the princess isn't really dead, was that girl Inaho found the princess in disguise? The little girl that was with her was always with the princess. I may be missing something. I don't really like Mecha action so this episode was meh for me. Basically the martians roflstomping the earthlings.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 12, 2014 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
The soundtrack just amplifies the epic scale of this anime. Loving both OP and ED as well.

Looks like it's going to mostly be full of action than dialogue considering it's only a 1-cour. It will be exciting, but at the same time I can see this anime getting a lot of hate for only being "action-packed."

Slightly groaned at the whole "I guess I toyed with them too long..." Of course I knew they wouldn't get rid of important characters but they at least made one sacrifice (Nao's friend). Really looking forward to how the main character fights in the next episode.

Overall, though, great episode. Really emphasized the helplessness humans must feel against Vers men.
Jul 12, 2014 10:41 AM

May 2013
Aww man poor guy. I guess it's up to the kids to fight against that martian robot.
Jul 12, 2014 10:43 AM

Oct 2012
I think that girl who had Inaho pinned to the floor is the princess, because in the ending it showed her as a reflection, so I guess she did survive, looking forward to seeing how Inaho's battle goes.
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 12, 2014 10:44 AM

Aug 2010
Another amazing ep :D

Inaho is just friggin chill to an abnormal degree O_O XD His friend just went flying and his expression didn't even change. He's quite a BA though. I feel like I'm gonna like him and he'll probably be an awesome pilot.

Animation and OST were both awesome as usual! And loving the mecha designs. The Martian's are Owning bad!!

And as expected the princess didn't die. And the reason was that she got sick from the gravity. I wonder if the Martian's know about this fact or not? I think Slaine knows at least.

So those guys that "Killed" the princess last ep were just some kind of cult? And they got mercilessly crushed like insects XD I wonder what role the girl with them will play in this?
Jul 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Aug 2008
FRIEND A! :(

I'm still not really used to Inaho's attitude, I don't even know why I'm anticipating his reactions when I understood last episode he doesn't act like the usual main character.

I like the OP sequence and the ED song and drawings.
Jul 12, 2014 10:52 AM
Mar 2012
They've done a really good job setting up the conflict in the first two episodes. Question is where do they go from there? There's no easy way out. Finding a super prototype alien mech in their school basement is definitely not what I want to see.

pakoko said:
Looks like it's going to mostly be full of action than dialogue considering it's only a 1-cour. It will be exciting, but at the same time I can see this anime getting a lot of hate for only being "action-packed."

Split 2-cours as far as I know.
Jul 12, 2014 10:52 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Damn. Those Martian technologies are vastly superior to the Earthlings'.

I had a feeling Princess Asseylum is safe, but didn't expect her not to take part in the parade at all. Bad luck for the double though.

That vicious bastard, took out his own people mercilessly. -.-

Loved Inaho's nonchalant demeanor and how calm he was even after their unit was being chased by a killing machine.
Poor Okujo.. What a terrible fate he met..

Good seeing Marito is alive. He was awesome to even attempt attacking a seemingly invincible mecha!

Awesome episode with great OSTs and amazing animations.
I feel bad for Slaine though.. I wonder how he joined the Mars' side as an Earthling.
Inaho's resolve is strong. Looking forward to how he'll counter the Martian Kataphrakt.

Jul 12, 2014 10:53 AM

May 2012
03:04 smart Martians

06:28 Kurisu!

08:09 see, she's still alive

14:41 umu!!

15:08 expected

17:14 owned

8/10 for this ep.
Sawano Hiroyuki + Kajiura Yuki + Kalafina = 10/10
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 12, 2014 10:53 AM

Jun 2013
Barion-Zara said:

So those guys that "Killed" the princess last ep were just some kind of cult? And they got mercilessly crushed like insects XD I wonder what role the girl with them will play in this?

Well, rather than a cult, they were hired by Trillram to carry out the plan to "kill" the princess. But we're still not sure if the princess purposefully faked her death to fool Trillram, or the princess worked with Trillram to fake her death (in which Trillram would know she's alive). Most likely the former. I'm sure the princess had some kind of plan from the start so she didn't get in the car (otherwise her servant would have died as well).

Lol nothing about the girl yet. Seemed pretty calm about her dad dying, though. More like too shocked to even speak.
Jul 12, 2014 10:55 AM

Apr 2014
That CG used on the mechs is painful to watch.
Jul 12, 2014 10:55 AM

Jun 2013
DeviFreakMint said:

Split 2-cours as far as I know.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I can rest easily knowing there's more to come :)
Jul 12, 2014 10:57 AM
May 2014
pakoko said:
Barion-Zara said:

Well, rather than a cult, they were hired by Trillram to carry out the plan to "kill" the princess. But we're still not sure if the princess purposefully faked her death to fool Trillram, or the princess worked with Trillram to fake her death (in which Trillram would know she's alive). Most likely the former. I'm sure the princess had some kind of plan from the start so she didn't get in the car (otherwise her servant would have died as well).

Lol nothing about the girl yet. Seemed pretty calm about her dad dying, though. More like too shocked to even speak.

The princess got some sort of gravity sickness and a double was there instead.

Dec 2010
From the two main male protagonists I don't really like Inaho very much. Too stoic for my tastes.
Slaine on the other hand is really likeable. Sadly it seems like he'll be less important than Inaho...

That "Light of Aldnoah" is really OP. Disintegrating everything in it's path. Though I can already see some weaknesses. After all, if the whole mecha were to be coated in it, it would go straight down to the core of the planet ^^
Well, let's see how those filthy Terran will deal with it.

+ the music in this series is one of the best, if not the best, of this season
DarkDooM2Jul 12, 2014 11:01 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I am glad that Asseylum survived and she doesn't seems to be the typical damsel in distress princess. Since that person who was killed was a decoy indeed, I wonder how herself and her servant ended up there.

I don't like Inaho so far. Surely he is not the whiny or some annoying idealistic protagonist but he is soulless pretty much. In the previous episode he was all calm when the missile was approaching, like it was nothing important. And in this episode one of his friends died in front of him and he wasn't that much of affected, unlike the other person in the group. I expected more of a shock.

Overall, another good episode but I don't like much of the mecha action it has.
Jul 12, 2014 10:59 AM

Jun 2013
Only two episodes in and the urobutching is already well underway. RIP school friend, we hardly even knew ya :(

I knew the princess was alive, it was pretty obvious.
Jul 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2013
The blonde guy dies next. Called it. Anyways, good episode, interesting action, although a bit slow. I kind of hate how arrogant the martians are and that the queen acts as if tho all`s well and she only needs to speak to her people. I think I`ll hate her...xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2014 11:01 AM
Dec 2013
How is earth going to stand literally any chance at all? The only possible chance I see at the earthlings getting a fighting chance is if the kids manage to pull a gundamjack on the Aldnoah that's chasing them.
Jul 12, 2014 11:02 AM
Nov 2013
GODAMITTT!!! Love how the story is developing and I hope that Inaho will be a major badass. Looking forward to next week
Jul 12, 2014 11:02 AM

Aug 2009
Loving this show. The mecha CGi isn't bad either, it's actually surprisingly good. Can't wait for episode 3.
Jul 12, 2014 11:03 AM
Aug 2008
This is the best anime for this season for me :)

love to see how the human struggle rather properly and how the technology works also rather good.

- When satelite and cross-continent cable is down, they change communication to laser and radio (i suspect for long ange comm they use SW radio).

- when fighter jet attacking, they shoot the missile from far away.

- the military did not simply become useless (looking at you Tokyo ESP!)

Btw, looking at how the enemy mech just make things "Disappear" when touching their body, but everything is fine under mech's feet. I suspect their big mech can be damaged by putting LAND MINES.

and after their "main ship" destroyed the cities near them (this episode showed some ship did just that), the Government will be have easy hand to launch NUCLEAR attack to their ships :)

even if the nuke did not damage the mech, the nuclear radiation itself will limit this martian invasion.

EDIT:
i just saw the scenes again, OMG. The martian mother ship that flying is bloody big
Jul 12, 2014 11:04 AM

Oct 2007
The music in this show is wretchedly bad as I sadly expected from Post Unicorn Sawano. Sorry do not go for the angsty bleepy bloopy vocal singing tracks in my mecha anime combat. What the fuck happened to Sawano man? He was so good with Unicorn but has just been absolutely awful lately and none of his soundtracks seem to fit anything he works on. Terrible shame.

Anyway it's funny cause before the season started I would have figured that this show would be the more real robot one and Argevollen would be the kind of super show, but it's actually the other way around as the Earthlings in bizarrely confident fashion tackle their conquering Martian overlords with what are basically little tiny pea shooters. I guess they're going for the image of "despair" and just being no match for the Martian with their death rays and death drill drop castles, but it's a little overblown. And then you have to have the characters basically saying as much with their "like unto an insect" dialogue after getting curb stomped by their emotionless martian conquerors and their superiority. Like it's okay Gen, we get it, we just saw what happened lol. Just really ham-fisted but kind of expectedly so.

There's also lots of expository dialogue again like in the first episode and just something that feels unnaturely wooden about it all....everything really, but then when I look at who the head writer is I guess it's not terribly surprising. The combat sequences aren't particularly exciting either really. It's like the show is basically trying to be all like, "Look everyone see! There's a war going on people are dying and it's bad and Earth is getting it's ass kicked" and I'm like I can see that, how about having somebody show some emotion and build the show on that level as well instead of just having everyone comment on what I'm seeing without any real analysis like a poorly written sports manga.

And seriously what the fuck is up with the main character? He doesn't evacuate with everyone else and is so non-chalant when talking to his sister like "Oh yeah I suppose I could have done that" when she's clearly worried about him. She's like one of the few characters in this episode that seems to show any sort of emotion and direct concern over what is happening so she'll probably die since Gen Urobuchi hates non-robotic and nihilistic characters. MC-kun probably won't ever care the way the dialogue is written and ADR direction is handled and probably just be all like "Oh I suppose nee-san died......" and just walk off to continue his daily routine.

The scene with him and the Princess in disguise (surprise....she's alive and it was a double) is really weird too. Again both are just so detached and oddly emotionless and this happens when she CQC's him for some reason which of course he doesn't even seem to react too.

I honestly found myself getting kind of bored oddly enough by the halfway point just with every characters interaction being cold emotionless expository dialogue and can't really say I felt much when MC-Kun's friend died either nor the scene where the super evil Martian pilot offed his own men from the terrorist group because.......????? Too show how diabolically evil he was, because the sneering grin and utter delight in just stomping all over the "Earthling Scum" didn't illustrate that enough. He also for whatever reason leaves the one girl alive (cause she's cute I guess) and then decides he has to torment and chase her a bit too FURTHER drive him his super villainy. Cool stuff Gen. There's a really Saturday Morning Cartoon villain quality to the Martian pilots at this point that is pretty unwelcome in a show that claims to be aiming for gritty realism and the Gundam standard of depiction of war and conflict in sci-fi anime There's also just something off about this show...it's like it wants to prove to everyone so badly that it's a sci-fi mecha war anime and just how gritty it is and how much suffering and despair is going on so it makes everything kind of lifeless and matter of fact and has characters constantly telling us how fucked everyone on Earth is. The second half was kind of a rehash of the rather dull first half too with more of the Martians just saying how much they hate the Earthling scum and curb stomping them and the Earthlings marveling at how fucked they are.

It was actually pretty dull as a second episode followup to what was a pretty decent premiere and I can only hope the dialogue and eventfulness of the show gets better once Gen Urobuchi is done writing the scripts cause if this is what we're going to get out of him it's not going to be a very interesting watch. A conflict isn't interesting if it's just constant depictions of the antagonists being assholes in their OP mech so you can hate them more easily with the protagonists getting curb stomped and the main character not even caring about anything so you can't be concerned at their plight. I mean in terms of portrayal, minus the emotionless part this is the sort of thing that ran it's course back in the 70's with shows like Voltes V.

Like I don't know show, try being more like Gundam since that's what it seems you are going for and instead of just over killing it to drive the narrative of "war is bad" home and making every Earth character a complete stereotype maybe take a page from some of it's better subtleties and human drama. Like I know Urobuchi loves to work by writing characters as concepts rather than people, but if this keeps up what they are going for is not going to work I am afraid to say because it just lacks any emotional weight or resonance and feels cold and artificial. It's a 2.5/5 for me. Next time with more feeling please and less trying to appeal to despair junkies and people that just want to see chaos and conflict without any apparent sense of purpose.
PeacingOutJul 12, 2014 11:16 AM
Jul 12, 2014 11:08 AM
Jun 2013
http://myanimelist.net/character/103697/Asseylum_Vers_Allusia
http://myanimelist.net/character/109321/Rayregalia_Vers_Rayvers
so that hime change name? lol
yea that girl with eddelrittuo is HIME, she sound also same.
Jul 12, 2014 11:09 AM
Aug 2008
@Kaioshin_Sama
it seems the film deliberately tell that the MC is broken. Deiberately show the contrast between him and the other characters. Maybe he is a psycopath, a trauma, or a half-breed with Mars (the film showed that the majority of martian are psychopath)

because when you see the other characters, they have emotion properly.
Jul 12, 2014 11:12 AM

Dec 2010
I knew Asselyum survived, they couldn't kill off such an important character this early on, not even in a Urobuchi show!

Anyway, I liked this episode, even if it was just to show the Martians killing everyone, they did it in a nice way. Plus, the way the Kataphrakts work once they use Aldnoah is pretty awesome. Just run into stuff and everything dies.

Figures that the MC would lose a friend, he didn't really matter that much anyway. The animation looks awesome, and the OST is great. So I'm definitely enjoying this show!
Jul 12, 2014 11:17 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
The moment when Okisuke's hand was slipping out of Inaho's grip...that was terribly sad, and I didn't even know this guy since it's only been two episodes. I think it was sad mainly because even though Inaho is the stoic type of character, you could still tell that he definitely felt something seeing his friend die. The Terran's are trying their best, but their technology is obviously nowhere as good as the Martian's. An action-packed episode, though I can't say the 3DCG looks that nice...at least they tried to blend it in, it didn't look too terrible when the mechs weren't moving. Anyways, looks like Inaho is finally doing something related to what's happening at hand, and proposing that they use themselves as decoys to get to the school and then fight.

Really liking the ED, didn't realize that Sawano was also composing it :)
Jul 12, 2014 11:19 AM
Oct 2010
What I liked -

The martian invasion plan, the use of tactics like cutting off communications, establishing beach heads, securing landing zones etc. That was nice to see for once.

Kalafina too gud

What I didn't like -

As a polar opposite to actually using tactics, the enemy leaders mecha are absurdly powerful, this wasn't an army vs army fight, it was 2vthousands i.e the enemy castle and leader mecha vs whatever army is in the area. That was disappointing to see as I really detest one sided battles. Not to mention the aldnoah powerup that lets them disintegrate anything they touch is beyond ridiculous. And the enemy mecha that chased them looked like the kshatriya which is eh.

I also didn't like the obvious plot hole i.e you are telling me that the princess had no way of communicating with the martian fleet to say she's alive at least? I mean the princess of the empire for crying out loud. Also you are also telling me that no one else knew that she was sick other than her aide? That makes no sense to me at all.
Also why did his friend go outside? That scene felt so forced to me. Not to mention that truck going from 0-120 in 3 seconds and that's ignoring the gigantic steps the enemy mecha is taking among other things. Not to mention she had gravity sickness? What in the world are their ships using then, if not at least, artificial gravity? She could have easily said she caught a cold easily because she isn't accustom to earth or something but chose the most ridiculous choice.

I don't like this, and I feel like they are wasting a really good thing here. Hopefully the change in writer will shake it up.. hopefully.
GD1551Jul 12, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 12, 2014 11:22 AM

Jul 2013
so the martians were the ones who attacked the "princess's" guard vehicles to put the fighting into action. specifically, trillram was the person to instigate the whole thing. if he thinks that the princess was killed and the martian army find out what his plans were, he's gonna get it since he basically killed the "princess".

also, now the mystery of what happened to asseylum has been solved. it was a simple reason and not as diabolical as i thought it was going to be. however, it does make me question if asseylum knew what trillram had planned.

i see rayet tattling in the future too. if she does i wonder how that will affect things.

the martian military and the light of aldnoah seem OP. i wonder how the terrans are going to win against them since they hardly have a chance. it's not combat but slaughter and could even turn out to be genocide on the martians' part.

rip okisuke. i'm really liking inko too. these kids are smart. it also seems that slaine considers himself to be more of a terran than a martian.

i'm not fond of the cgi mechs but i'll get used to them.

the action is brilliant and so is the ost. i think if the show keeps it up like this, it'll be as exciting as attack on titan imo
orchidorkJul 12, 2014 11:27 AM
Jul 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Apr 2014
"Earth's Troop/Military" was been greatly overwhelmed by the "Martian Kataphrakts"
Poor Human Army they were just like insects being killed easily. And poor Slaine,he cannot protect and thus he can only watch his kind being slaughtered/killed in front of him.

So Princess of VERS Asseylum was actually alive then the one who died is a double/decoy and she was now disguising as one of the civilians.
And as I expected, those who attacked the Princess's convoy was actually a Martian too... But after their time to be taken back home,they a mercilessly killed by their superior... Anyway they are just rats that needs to die... But that girl was been chased and to be killed too? What hell is that? That guy was really insane!... Good thing the girl as been saved by Yuki... Yuki was badly injured...I wish she would be fine

Inaho was really a high intellect man,he can think so quickly for a plan... Poor Okisuke,he just died just like an smoke that vanishes away... And now Inaho will pilot the mech? I can't wait to see how he gonna do it!
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 12, 2014 11:24 AM
Dec 2013
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
RIP school friend #1...

How can he be so freaking calm? I know Urobutcher knows he'd get called out on this if it turned out to be the case, but I can't help think that he's like Homura; the reason he's so damn good at strategizing and staying calm is because he's been through all of this before.
Jul 12, 2014 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
OP was pretty sweet,so is hand-drawn animation...as opposite to that CGI used on mechas. Princess survived,no big surprise.
I wonder how they plan on beating the Martian mecha...they either outsmart him,which is improbable,considering how overpowered he is or the MC will find even more overpowered mech....well,I hope it won't turn out to be bad.
And yes,as mentioned above,issue with overpowered Martian mechas...this is more of a slaughter than actual battle involving tactics.
Jul 12, 2014 11:26 AM

Dec 2012
That was a damn good episode! This series is looking great so far, easily one of the best this season. Only issue I have so far is with the main character, Inaho. I kind of like his blank attitude but then I don't, doesn't have much expression.

The OST is fantastic as well as the animation, they go along nicely with the story that we have so far.
Jul 12, 2014 11:26 AM

Nov 2007
At this pace I don't see Earth win this battle at all, it'd be unreasonable... but let's see where it'll go.
Jul 12, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
WhiteWing13 said:
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
RIP school friend #1...

How can he be so freaking calm? I know Urobutcher knows he'd get called out on this if it turned out to be the case, but I can't help think that he's like Homura; the reason he's so damn good at strategizing and staying calm is because he's been through all of this before.

I hope we won't get another endlessly repeating time loop.
But yeah,MC seemed too calm...but you could argue that it was from the shock.
Or he is just ultra -flegmatic.
Jul 12, 2014 11:28 AM

Aug 2007
Not a bad ep. Man really showcasing how fruitless this battle against them is. I wonder when the MC will find an overpowered mech and start making them look dumb. :P Other then that I hope with his friend death the MC is now going to be serious now. I can't get used to him at all.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 12, 2014 11:32 AM

Oct 2007
skudoops said:
What I liked -

The martian invasion plan, the use of tactics like cutting off communications, establishing beach heads, securing landing zones etc. That was nice to see for once.

The funny thing is by the looks of it they didn't even have to do those things at all. Their mecha are quite literally untouchable (maybe more of the shows desperate attempt to drive that part of the narrative home) since they phase through things and can cause block wide destruction with a single swipe. I don't even know why comically evil dude was even chasing that one APC down that was apparently just giving him the worst kind of trouble to catch but whatever, not a lot about this show makes much sense right now as it just seems to be going for the obvious stuff and rule of cool.

Kalafina too gud

What I didn't like -

As a polar opposite to actually using tactics, the enemy leaders mecha are absurdly powerful, this wasn't an army vs army fight, it was 2vthousands i.e the enemy castle and leader mecha vs whatever army is in the area. That was disappointing to see as I really detest one sided battles. Not to mention the aldnoah powerup that lets them disintegrate anything they touch is beyond ridiculous. And the enemy mecha that chased them looked like the kshatriya which is eh.

My main problem with this is again just how hard it seemed to be driving this point home. It's like the whole show so far has been curiously focused on beating the viewer over the head constantly with how great the power difference is. Some limited exposition of the origins of the conflict aside it feels like this is as far as the show has managed to get in 2 of 12 episodes development wise and I hope the trend doesn't continue. There's still plenty o time to flesh other aspects out more.

I also didn't like the obvious plot hole i.e you are telling me that the princess had no way of communicating with the martian fleet to say she's alive at least? I mean the princess of the empire for crying out loud. Also you are also telling me that no one else knew that she was sick other than her aide? That makes no sense to me at all.
Also why did his friend go outside? That scene felt so forced to me. Not to mention that truck going from 0-120 in 3 seconds and that's ignoring the gigantic steps the enemy mecha is taking among other things.

That one I'll give the show a pass on because realistically in her disguise and with the Martians in a Kill Em' All blood frenzy of evil and "Earthling Rat Scum" killing coupled with general communications systems being down in the area there's really not much point in her contacting them.

I don't like this, and I feel like they are wasting a really good thing here. Hopefully the change in writer will shake it up.. hopefully.

As predictable and ham fisted a follow up to an otherwise solid first episode as this was I'm still willing to give it some time to flesh itself out and improve again, but right now the way it's playing the conflict off and just some of the silly ham-fisted things it's doing with it's characters and concept it's not looking good. This episode gave off some serious Guilty Crown vibes and maybe a little Code Geass as well, but without the gravitas the latter had in it's first couple of episodes. I really think it would help if the mecha action was more exciting to look at and the character dynamics were more interesting and frankly existed at all at this point beyond the obvious and conceptual level.
Jul 12, 2014 11:34 AM
Aug 2008
skudoops said:

I also didn't like the obvious plot hole i.e you are telling me that the princess had no way of communicating with the martian fleet to say she's alive at least? I mean the princess of the empire for crying out loud... /snip

for me, that scene feel deliberately "bad" because there is other story behind it. Just as you said, she is the PRINCESS.

for example, she deilberately faked her death and only a few people she personally trust know her plan. Although i still dont get why she did not have any comm device with her. it is weird.

heck, even the earthlings have cellphones.
Jul 12, 2014 11:35 AM
Feb 2009
welp I think it was too obvious the princess was alive all long and earth forces is just purely outmatched and outclass in every single way..
Jul 12, 2014 11:35 AM

May 2010
a shame this is a 1 cour show. very good episode.
Jul 12, 2014 11:37 AM

Aug 2011
Man, the OP animation sequence was subpar and the song isn't that great either - that's coming from the biggest Kalafina fan ever. That being said, at the end of the OP Asseylum shot a gun so that'll be something to look forward to if it happens.
Jul 2018
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Also why did his friend go outside? That scene felt so forced to me. Not to mention that truck going from 0-120 in 3 seconds and that's ignoring the gigantic steps the enemy mecha is taking among other things.

That one I'll give the show a pass on because realistically in her disguise and with the Martians in a Kill Em' All blood frenzy of evil and "Earthling Rat Scum" killing coupled with general communications systems being down in the area there's really not much point in her contacting them.

And even if she contacted them,they would most likely not acknowledged it,as keen as they were on invading Earth.

Apr 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
The music in this show is wretchedly bad as I sadly expected from Post Unicorn Sawano. .............................................

You should edit this and make it short... If it's long like this it should be posted on your blog not in forum.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 12, 2014 11:38 AM
Aug 2008
DejWoSWK said:

And even if she contacted them,they would most likely not acknowledged it,as keen as they were on invading Earth.

but she should have certified comm device that have secure comm-link. Even us earthlings have Sat-phones...

or she does have comm device but too afraid to make a call because she suspect everyone on mars military
Jul 12, 2014 11:39 AM
Dec 2013
orangpelupa said:
skudoops said:

I also didn't like the obvious plot hole i.e you are telling me that the princess had no way of communicating with the martian fleet to say she's alive at least? I mean the princess of the empire for crying out loud... /snip

for me, that scene feel deliberately "bad" because there is other story behind it. Just as you said, she is the PRINCESS.

for example, she deilberately faked her death and only a few people she personally trust know her plan. Although i still dont get why she did not have any comm device with her. it is weird.

heck, even the earthlings have cellphones.

I think it would acutlaly be a really good twist and something Urobutcher would be willing to do if it turned out she was letting the war happen for some greater purpose. Perhaps she thinks that she can unite mankind and the Vers against the martians who arranged her assassination, but to do that the war needs to rage on for a bit before she intervenes.
Jul 12, 2014 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
[spoiler]The music in this show is wretchedly bad as I sadly expected from Post Unicorn Sawano. Sorry do not go for the angsty bleepy bloopy vocal singing tracks in my mecha anime combat. What the fuck happened to Sawano man? He was so good with Unicorn but has just been absolutely awful lately and none of his soundtracks seem to fit anything he works on. Terrible shame.

Anyway it's funny cause before the season started I would have figured that this show would be the more real robot one and Argevollen would be the kind of super show, but it's actually the other way around as the Earthlings in bizarrely confident fashion tackle their conquering Martian overlords with what are basically little tiny pea shooters. I guess they're going for the image of "despair" and just being no match for the Martian with their death rays and death drill drop castles, but it's a little overblown. And then you have to have the characters basically saying as much with their "like unto an insect" dialogue after getting curb stomped by their emotionless martian conquerors and their superiority. Like it's okay Gen, we get it, we just saw what happened lol. Just really ham-fisted but kind of expectedly so.

There's also lots of expository dialogue again like in the first episode and just something that feels unnaturely wooden about it all....everything really, but then when I look at who the head writer is I guess it's not terribly surprising. The combat sequences aren't particularly exciting either really. It's like the show is basically trying to be all like, "Look everyone see! There's a war going on people are dying and it's bad and Earth is getting it's ass kicked" and I'm like I can see that, how about having somebody show some emotion and build the show on that level as well instead of just having everyone comment on what I'm seeing without any real analysis like a poorly written sports manga.

And seriously what the fuck is up with the main character? He doesn't evacuate with everyone else and is so non-chalant when talking to his sister like "Oh yeah I suppose I could have done that" when she's clearly worried about him. She's like one of the few characters in this episode that seems to show any sort of emotion and direct concern over what is happening so she'll probably die since Gen Urobuchi hates non-robotic and nihilistic characters. MC-kun probably won't ever care the way the dialogue is written and ADR direction is handled and probably just be all like "Oh I suppose nee-san died......" and just walk off to continue his daily routine.

The scene with him and the Princess in disguise (surprise....she's alive and it was a double) is really weird too. Again both are just so detached and oddly emotionless and this happens when she CQC's him for some reason which of course he doesn't even seem to react too.

I honestly found myself getting kind of bored oddly enough by the halfway point just with every characters interaction being cold emotionless expository dialogue and can't really say I felt much when MC-Kun's friend died either nor the scene where the super evil Martian pilot offed his own men from the terrorist group because.......????? Too show how diabolically evil he was, because the sneering grin and utter delight in just stomping all over the "Earthling Scum" didn't illustrate that enough. He also for whatever reason leaves the one girl alive (cause she's cute I guess) and then decides he has to torment and chase her a bit too FURTHER drive him his super villainy. Cool stuff Gen. There's a really Saturday Morning Cartoon villain quality to the Martian pilots at this point that is pretty unwelcome in a show that claims to be aiming for gritty realism and the Gundam standard of depiction of war and conflict in sci-fi anime There's also just something off about this show...it's like it wants to prove to everyone so badly that it's a sci-fi mecha war anime and just how gritty it is and how much suffering and despair is going on so it makes everything kind of lifeless and matter of fact and has characters constantly telling us how fucked everyone on Earth is. The second half was kind of a rehash of the rather dull first half too with more of the Martians just saying how much they hate the Earthling scum and curb stomping them and the Earthlings marveling at how fucked they are.

It was actually pretty dull as a second episode followup to what was a pretty decent premiere and I can only hope the dialogue and eventfulness of the show gets better once Gen Urobuchi is done writing the scripts cause if this is what we're going to get out of him it's not going to be a very interesting watch. A conflict isn't interesting if it's just constant depictions of the antagonists being assholes in their OP mech so you can hate them more easily with the protagonists getting curb stomped and the main character not even caring about anything so you can't be concerned at their plight. I mean in terms of portrayal, minus the emotionless part this is the sort of thing that ran it's course back in the 70's with shows like Voltes V.

Like I don't know show, try being more like Gundam since that's what it seems you are going for and instead of just over killing it to drive the narrative of "war is bad" home and making every Earth character a complete stereotype maybe take a page from some of it's better subtleties and human drama. Like I know Urobuchi loves to work by writing characters as concepts rather than people, but if this keeps up what they are going for is not going to work I am afraid to say because it just lacks any emotional weight or resonance and feels cold and artificial. It's a 2.5/5 for me. Next time with more feeling please and less trying to appeal to despair junkies and people that just want to see chaos and conflict without any apparent sense of purpose.
[/spoiler] Blah blah blah. Quit judging on two episodes, lol.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.