Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 11, 2014 7:00 PM
Apr 2010
There's something about Sora I cant stand. I want to say its his cockiness but I usually enjoy watching confident protagonists do their thing. Maybe its his smug ass face who reminds me of a friend I dont like, or maybe its his voice actor.

What I know for sure is the dumb rationale behind everything doesnt help. He pretty much won all of his games due to chance. Pure chance, despite what he said about no such thing as luck. For example,

Right before they were about to lose, enemy chess pieces exploded. But somehow it was "keikaku doori"

Aight, Jibril might say Empty Headed Academic so lemme prepare for that one. I don't think she'll say ANYTHING ELSE. Nah, she'll say that for sure. And it's not like she can write anything with her magic finger after my ultimate coulomb force or anything.

And for the love of god, that win against izuna was pushing it. Fck that coin toss too.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 2014 7:06 PM

Jan 2013
discussion
ranting
cannot compute
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 11, 2014 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
harrysoung said:
He pretty much won all of his games due to chance.

Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

The talent of "blank" is not to know how things are going to turn out, but to adapt faster than their proponents. Kurumi says the chess players have will, Sora turns it into a morale battle.

Jibiriru thinks she is all powerful, Sora releases the ultimate physical force on her tail, literally.

The warbeasts think they can program a game to their advantage, Shiro out thinks their program.

Jibiriru, being the dumbest of their opponents was the one that went, from start to finish according to plan (why do I call Jibiriru the "dumbest", because she never thought about her opponent and instead played a perfectly predictable game), but the other ones were not outside the realm of adaptation.

Don't feel so bad that you don't get what the games were about, not everyone is capable of doing that.....
Jul 11, 2014 7:08 PM
Jun 2014
another rant thread coolio. He must of messed with your cheerios or something.
Jul 11, 2014 7:10 PM
Aug 2011
Finally somebody around these parts who sees the light.
Jul 11, 2014 7:11 PM
Oct 2012
parfaited said:
Finally somebody around these parts who sees the light.

Light, darkness, is the same to some eyes.....
Jul 11, 2014 7:22 PM
Apr 2010
Takuan_Soho said:

The talent of "blank" is not to know how things are going to turn out, but to adapt faster than their proponents. Kurumi says the chess players have will, Sora turns it into a morale battle.

Jibiriru thinks she is all powerful, Sora releases the ultimate physical force on her tail, literally.

The warbeasts think they can program a game to their advantage, Shiro out thinks their program.

Jibiriru, being the dumbest of their opponents was the one that went, from start to finish according to plan (why do I call Jibiriru the "dumbest", because she never thought about her opponent and instead played a perfectly predictable game), but the other ones were not outside the realm of adaptation.

Yes, and what happened after he turned it into a moral battle? Clammy gave aoe buffs, and guess what Sora/Shiro did? Nothing. Because theres really nothing you can do after kaboom.

They never explained how they knew they were being monitored via heart rate. Im guessing they took a wild ass guess and acted on it

Jibril is hot and has big tits. So does Steph.
harrysoungJul 11, 2014 7:26 PM
Jul 11, 2014 8:12 PM
Oct 2012
harrysoung said:
Yes, and what happened after he turned it into a moral battle?

Not moral, but morale. Kurami used force to move the pieces, Sora used reasons (promise young men (i.e. foot soldiers, i.e. pawns, sex and security and you will be amazed at what they will do) , thus Sora won. Speaking as a chess piece, which would you rather fight for?

harrysoung said:
Jibril is hot and has big tits. So does Steph.

Good to see the little head is working, if not the greater head. Yes, both are hot, your point being?
Jul 11, 2014 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
harrysoung said:
Maybe its his smug ass face who reminds me of a friend I dont like, or maybe its his voice actor.
That's the thing I really hate about him as well, it's like he does that to rub it in the viewer's face that he is a Gary Stu.
Jul 11, 2014 9:13 PM
Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
harrysoung said:
Maybe its his smug ass face who reminds me of a friend I dont like, or maybe its his voice actor.
That's the thing I really hate about him as well, it's like he does that to rub it in the viewer's face that he is a Gary Stu.
I liked his face though...
Jul 11, 2014 9:41 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
DrGeroCreation said:
^ +1

Well, Takuan_Soho already proved that most of the games more-or-less made sense but I still cannot overlook the part where they're basically omniscient: either they learned how to do something a bajillion years ago or they can figure it out on the spot. Doesn't exactly make the games that exciting, for me at least
To me it's like the guy is a mind reader. I really don't understand how he could of known
Jul 11, 2014 9:46 PM

May 2009
Why are watching it if you can't stand it? WHY? To make another ranting thread on MAL?
Jul 11, 2014 9:51 PM

Mar 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Forgetfulness said:
^ +1

Well, Takuan_Soho already proved that most of the games more-or-less made sense but I still cannot overlook the part where they're basically omniscient: either they learned how to do something a bajillion years ago or they can figure it out on the spot. Doesn't exactly make the games that exciting, for me at least
To me it's like the guy is a mind reader. I really don't understand how he could of known
What do you mean?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 11, 2014 9:52 PM

Aug 2013
NeoAnkara said:
DrGeroCreation said:
What do you mean?
The face off in the last episode after the
Jul 11, 2014 9:54 PM

Mar 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
NeoAnkara said:
What do you mean?
I know that but what do you mean about attack? There are no such action being made.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 11, 2014 9:56 PM

Aug 2013
NeoAnkara said:
DrGeroCreation said:
I know that but what do you mean about attack? There are no such action being made.
IIRC she transformed like Izuna and was going to attack him.
Jul 11, 2014 10:00 PM

Mar 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
NeoAnkara said:
That's not attack she just use it to make her sense sharper so to be able to calculate how the coin will land properly.
Jul 11, 2014 10:01 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Are you talking about when Miko activates Blood Destruction in order to heighten her senses? Because that was to allow her to correctly predict the coin, not to attack anyone
Oh my bad, that makes it even worst that he could predict the outcome better than her.
Jul 11, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Oh my bad, that makes it even worst that he could predict the outcome better than her.
Well, that much is true at least

inb4 "there's a way to perfectly toss a coin so that you can control the landing"
Or Sora is just a master at probability.

My bad, Forgetfullness cleared it up for me already.

DrGeroCreationJul 12, 2014 1:14 AM
Jul 12, 2014 7:07 AM

Nov 2012
DawnJ said:
discussion
ranting
cannot compute

I applaud your great efforts to create discussion buddy!

Though seriously, I don't see what's wrong with someone ranting in a discussion forum. Rants can create easy discussion, all you need to do is argue against the points he makes.

I guess I agree with most of the rant, but I'd rather not waste more time talking about such a bad show anyway.
Jul 12, 2014 3:50 PM
Oct 2012
DrGeroCreation said:

Couple of things,

I really have to ask the question, what do you do when you watch a show?
Jul 12, 2014 3:58 PM

May 2014
Im pretty sure all the logic is explained.

I'm just wondering how two couch potatoes like the protagonists have such genius level intellect even if they read alot of ebooks.
I've been here way too long...
Jul 12, 2014 4:12 PM
Oct 2012
TheConquerer said:
I'm just wondering how two couch potatoes like the protagonists have such genius level intellect even if they read alot of ebooks.

Geniuses are born that way. There have been untold number of geniuses who came from uneducated families, who never went to school, but ended up teaching themselves physics or writing on a scale far beyond even well educated people.
Jul 13, 2014 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
People love shitty animes nowadays. Say SAO and this. 8.83 .... no way....
Jul 13, 2014 2:09 AM

Jan 2013
Miraclezify said:
DawnJ said:
discussion
ranting
cannot compute

I applaud your great efforts to create discussion buddy!

Though seriously, I don't see what's wrong with someone ranting in a discussion forum. Rants can create easy discussion, all you need to do is argue against the points he makes.

I guess I agree with most of the rant, but I'd rather not waste more time talking about such a bad show anyway.

I forgot decency doesn't exist on the internet, my bad.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 13, 2014 7:32 AM

Nov 2013
dragonshade said:
People love shitty animes nowadays. Say SAO and this. 8.83 .... no way....
Except they are not shitty.
Jul 13, 2014 7:53 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know how to counteract this rant because thats what this is. Sure almost all the games and even the logic in this series cannot be replicated in real life (the thing most would have known) but the show succeeded in one thing which is making sure watchers enjoyed it. For me, I don't need a series to be 100% logical in order to like it, if it clicks with me then thats enough :)

The fact is that if you can't stand a show to a point of flipping out then just stop watching it and move on to another show.
ShanaFlameJul 13, 2014 8:02 AM
Jul 13, 2014 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
You are not allowed to bash NGNL, it is the gospel here on MAL.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jul 13, 2014 11:52 AM

Aug 2011
The main reason I dropped this show is because of Sora. That flawless intellect of his removed any form of tension, and that super smug attitude combined with Matsuoka's nasally voice proved to be more than I could handle.
Jul 13, 2014 3:27 PM

Apr 2011
I thought everyone watches this for the bewbs , the games are just extra.
Jul 13, 2014 4:00 PM

Jul 2013
Sv3rr3 said:
The main reason I dropped this show is because of Sora. That flawless intellect of his removed any form of tension, and that super smug attitude combined with Matsuoka's nasally voice proved to be more than I could handle.

You know, I spent like half the show wondering why Sora's voice pissed me off so much, so I looked up what else Matsuoka did, and when I found out he's also voiced Kirito, it all made sense to me.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 13, 2014 6:57 PM

Apr 2010
Some people just can't accept that NGNL is the greatest show they'll ever see in their lives.
Jul 13, 2014 7:05 PM
Oct 2012
Forgetfulness said:
It is implied that Shiro and Sora do not have the physical capabilities to do the coin game. Miko had to activate Blood Destruction in order to even predict how the coin would land, which is far beyond humanity's physical capabilities. Yet somehow Sora is able to toss a coin perfectly so that it will reach vertical when it hits the ground.
I find it hard to believe that anybody could actually do that

But that is the difference, Miko wanted to know whether it would be heads or tails, but Blank just wanted to trap the coin so it wouldn't be heads or tail. Doing the latter is so, so much easier than doing the former.
Jul 13, 2014 7:09 PM
Oct 2012
LemanRuss said:
You are not allowed to bash NGNL, it is the gospel here on MAL.

No, you can bash all you want, just don't sound like a friggen moron when doing it.

Which, to be fair, you sort of, kind of, do sound like.

There has been several people who had reasonable complaints (and when I say reasonable I only mean that the question they posed could be answered), but every one of those complaints could be answered from the information provided by the show.

If you have a specific complaint bring it on, I can either show that the show itself addressed it (and so far I am batting 100%), or I will concede you are a genius.

On this, I am betting on the former, not the latter.
Jul 13, 2014 7:11 PM
Oct 2012
antonn said:
Some people just can't accept that NGNL is the greatest show they'll ever see in their lives.

Not the greatest. but I have been amused at how crappy those who disagree have argued their case.

For what it is worth I would rate this show a 8.5, but those who want to rank it lower have so far been remarkably ignorant.
Jul 13, 2014 7:28 PM

Mar 2013
Sv3rr3 said:

Nobody's watching it for the tension.
Jul 14, 2014 4:00 AM
Jun 2013
Yeah, this is really bs. I hate how he acts as if everything was certain, but it's all really just pure chance.

All the battles in the anime are pretty much:
"How could you win that?"
"Calculated, bro"
"But isn't that just pure chance?"
"I calculated it all"

Let's recap:
1. Rock - Paper - Scissor: pure chance.
2. Chess game: dumb logic. No, there is not even a slight bit of logic.
3. Libril's game: again, pure chance.
4. Card game: pure chance.
5. Final game: dumb logic. How the hell could they figure out the AI of the game that they never knew beforehand? How could they apply a spell that make the fanservice-device-useless girl follow the formulas written on the ground without even knowing what kind of game they're going to play?
Jul 14, 2014 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
XerxesWrath said:
Yeah, this is really bs. I hate how he acts as if everything was certain, but it's all really just pure chance.

"Calculated, bro"
"I calculated it all"

Let's recap:
5. Final game: dumb logic. How the hell could they figure out the AI of the game that they never knew beforehand? How could they apply a spell that make the fanservice-device-useless girl follow the formulas written on the ground without even knowing what kind of game they're going to play?

1. I guess u don't understand that knowledge and the rules before even starting a game has a meaning for the outcome as stated by Sora in episode 2, where he explains, why Steph didn't win the rock/paper/scissors.

2. It wasn't suppose to be normal chess and it made perfect sense. Morale battles, heard of it?

3. The knowledge of knowing ur opponent (Jibril) is also important to get the outcome of what u want.

4. I guess u mean the poker from episode 1? They didn't tell how Sora cheated. But the point of this was for the main characters to adapt themselves in this world with the 10 pledges (8. pledge is: Being caught during a game is grounds for an instant loss.

5. I guess u mean the AI of the NPCs? I think it was because Shiro and Sora noticed, that the NPC are following some kind of pattern. True it wasn't shown, what kind of spell they used on Steph. I'm not sure how i will answer for that.

Forgetfulness said:
Takuan_Soho said:

But that is the difference, Miko wanted to know whether it would be heads or tails, but Blank just wanted to trap the coin so it wouldn't be heads or tail. Doing the latter is so, so much easier than doing the former.
The fuck?
Do you know anybody that can flip a coin so that it perfectly hits vertical as it touches the ground on command? I'm almost certain that you do not

Neither has it been shown that Sora can do it. You can excuse the NPC algorithms and a ton of other shit as "foreshadowed" (even though it's not really) just because they are good at math, but this is something complete different that Sora was never shown to be able to do and should not be able to do

Check episode 12 again with the coin toss. Didn't you notice Sora did something during the toss?

Jul 14, 2014 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

There has been several people who had reasonable complaints (and when I say reasonable I only mean that the question they posed could be answered), but every one of those complaints could be answered from the information provided by the show.

True, i'm 100% sure that all the information is provided by the show to understand the show. In my opinion the anime is executed very well. Some people can't really comprehend all this.

Jul 14, 2014 9:00 AM
Jun 2013
David2skills said:
XerxesWrath said:

"Calculated, bro"
"I calculated it all"

Let's recap:

1. I guess u don't understand that knowledge and the rules before even starting a game has a meaning for the outcome as stated by Sora in episode 2, where he explains, why Steph didn't win the rock/paper/scissors.

2. It wasn't suppose to be normal chess and it made perfect sense. Morale battles, heard of it?

3. The knowledge of knowing ur opponent (Jibril) is also important to get the outcome of what u want.

4. I guess u mean the poker from episode 1? They didn't tell how Sora cheated. But the point of this was for the main characters to adapt themselves in this world with the 10 pledges (8. pledge is: Being caught during a game is grounds for an instant loss.

5. I guess u mean the AI of the NPCs? I think it was because Shiro and Sora noticed, that the NPC are following some kind of pattern. True it wasn't shown, what kind of spell they used on Steph. I'm not sure how i will answer for that.

1. Nope, it's pure chance. Playing it logically may increase your chance to win, but it does not mean victory is completely certain, and he acts as if it is.

2. Morale chess? Wtf is that? Chess pieces have emotions? LOL! Tell me where is the logic in turning your oponent's chess pieces into yours by some cheesy lines?

3. Nope. There is no guarantee she would use that word, if she happened to use another word instead, they would've lost.

4. I'm talking about the card game that if he lost he would become a decent human being. He won the game while doing nothing, and everything was just "calculated, bro"

5. Pattern? Ok, they may have a pattern, but what if they have irregularities in their pattern that only happen in certain circumstances? They didn't program the game, there is no certainty.
Jul 14, 2014 1:05 PM

Aug 2011
fst said:
Sv3rr3 said:

So I guess all that's left is blatant fan service and unfunny comedy. Why is this considered a masterpiece again?
Jul 14, 2014 1:39 PM

Jul 2013
Sv3rr3 said:
fst said:

So I guess all that's left is blatant fan service and unfunny comedy. Why is this considered a masterpiece again?

Cat girls.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 14, 2014 5:26 PM

Apr 2010
Sv3rr3 said:
fst said:

The art.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2014

294 by FarCritical »»
Apr 19, 11:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.