Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2014 12:25 AM

Oct 2012
Ok so this topic may or may not be useless. I always wanted to ask lots of questions about show I've been watching or manga I've been reading to more "experienced" viewers here. I'm from a province with only bad taste - and that's speaking lightly and this club seems to be the only one where I can talk about my tastes without being judged for my good or bad taste.

*insert pre-teen emo speech here*

However, I never found what seemed to be an appropriate place to talk about it. So I thought about making this thread - give me the death sentence or whatever if I'm wrong, so I thought about making this thread. If anyone is watching something and just want to drop an opinion without writing a specific review, do it here. If someone wants to talk about something that is bad or great without having to be in relations or enlightement, do it here.

So here are my questions I've been burning to ask to anyone here:

1- What are you thought about Sailor Moon Crystal?
2- Are there any anime in my list that I should read the manga/play the Visual Novel instead of watching the anime?
3- If you don't like an anime, do you personally finish it or just stop it?
4- Do you agree with me when I say that SAO's popularity is more based on "put MMORPG on an average fantasy world to be popular"?
5- Do you enjoy watching anime alone or in group (IRL or through the Livestream)?
6- Since I'm not really a forum-discussion person, I was wondering if any of you would add me on skype to talk about yeah anime, manga, shows... mostly about stating opinions and having real discussions more than chitchatting.
7- Can you enjoy something considered "bad" just because it entertains you?
8- Can you consider that something illogical, that isn't a piece of art in visuals, music and storytelling, very good just because it's point is entertaining and that it does it well?
9- I know that shows such as Bleach and Naruto are not liked here - but what are your thoughts about such shows with younger audience such as 10 years old or whatever, does in those terms, your opinion changes?
10- Do you think bad ending have a bigger impact than a good ending? Why? (And I mean not a "Friendship is Magic" good ending but a WELL-WRITTEN good ending)
11- Can you understand a character that does X stuff but you would never do that in its place? Or does it just irritates you?
12- Are you more of a spectator or someone who puts yourself in the universes you watch/read?

And that's about it... But I probably forgot a lot '_'

Edited by Nidhoeggr because he just can't stand people using the s for the plural of anime and manga :P
NidhoeggrJul 11, 2014 9:10 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 11, 2014 3:17 AM

Oct 2012
1. I didn't watch it. Does this disqualify me from answer the other quetions?
2.Oh no. I don't play VNs. Those are two useless answers now. I'm probably totes disqualified.
3.There are times when I just stop, and other times continue. Most of the time, I continue. It's the only way to properly form an opinion on something.
4. SAO is popular because of it's gamer-wish fulfillment premise. It's a wet dream for the new era of shut in gamers.
5. If it sucks, I love watching it with friends. If it's good, I need to be alone to properly analyze it.
6. Sure, albeit, I'll bug you to read Homestuck every now and then. You brought it up once, so there's no way I'm letting go.
7. I guess. If it entertains me because of how bad it is. Otherwise, no.
8. No. But this is mainly because I'm in a writing course and it stings me whever I see inane works triumphing over art. It's a bitter sentiment. Rarely is art given is due reward.
9. Let the rascals watch it. Just as long as they don't sway the industry's decision making. But wait, they do. Idk. I'm not about to smack a kid for liking what s/he likes, but I'm not too enthusiastic about how much clout they have. Also, if they grow up and still promote it, then the war is on.
10. In a sense. I don't think a good ending can always save a train wreck, but a bad ending will sink a good show. It's not fair, but it's how I see it. A great show with a great ending is beyond memorable though.
11. I can as long as it's well established and organic to the character's personality. I don't empathize or agree, but if it makes sense for the character to do X action, then it's okay in my books.
12. Definitely more of a spectator. Rarely am I still absorbed by the mediums of art I intake. 4 years of criticism classes has robbed me of that pleasure. But I don't mind. I can still enjoy works as long as they're well written and engaging.

Sorry if I have a couple typos. I'm using my phone to type this all.
Jul 11, 2014 5:40 AM

Sep 2012
1. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm gonna watch it.
2. I haven't played any VNs. I played some of Persona 4 and I was told you should play that instead of watching the show, though. I also played a little of Chaos;Head and was told you should never, ever watch the anime. If you ask me, don't play the VN either, just give the whole thing a pass.
3. I drop a show when what I don't like about it becomes clear early on and the only way it could be fixed would be by some outlandish development that I don't expect to happen. Usually I don't watch an anime I think I won't like, and if I do it's usually for some reason that requires me to.
4. Because of how egregious the content of SAO is, I feel the reason for SAO's popularity is probably something much more deeply disturbing than that.
5. I prefer to watch in a group. In particular I like to show my favorite series to people. I like to watch bad shows with friends if they're funny, although watching something that's just offensive or downright boring goes down easier watching it in a group.
6. Sure, if you like.
7. Yes, but I can't think of an example. Although I feel I can only half-justify my fervent, undying adoration for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
8. I'm not sure what you mean by "illogical," since there are illogical things that I do think make for great art, like Tarkovsky's The Mirror, although I guess that has a sort of underlying dream-logic. I guess maybe I could consider something "very good" if it was entertaining and didn't fail to make its point, but I'm not sure how something would become so entertaining if at least one of its components wasn't of high quality. I don't think the form of something and the amount of entertainment it provides are that divorced from each other. Whether or not we like something isn't completely arbitrary.
9. I don't believe you should show kids poorly constructed entertainment media. I don't think it's gonna hurt them or anything, but they deserve your best effort. And there are kids' anime I think are very good, like Dennou Coil, certain seasons of Digimon, or the movies of Studio Ghibli. It doesn't make my opinion any more lenient to know something is for children because I know for a fact that children's entertainment doesn't have to be bad.
10. Yes. I don't think Soul Eater is a bad show, but I'll never watch it again because the ending was awful (and no, I'm not complaining about the fact that it diverged from the manga). A show spends however many episodes constructing an argument, if it contradicts that argument or introduces some random disparate element at the end then it doesn't work, which is what happened to Soul Eater. That's also why a good ending can't save a bad show even though a bad ending can harm a good show - either way it's doing something completely different from what the rest of the series was doing.
11. Of course. Breaking Bad, anyone?
12. That's pretty much makes the difference between what I consider my favorites and shows I just really like or respect. If it captures enough things from real human experience, just little things I mean, does it in a way that actually feels real, and they don't feel out of place, I can get sucked in. This might be harder than it sounds, because a lot of these things are things that go unnoticed in real life because they're taken for granted, and because of that it's hard to figure out exactly what you're trying to capture, and even then you have to make sure the presentation isn't obvious. But sometimes it works, and then it's amazing.
Jul 11, 2014 6:20 AM

Mar 2012
To be honest you should've asked someone to make this thread, because most of the discussion is in the comments section anyway (general anime/manga discussion w/ other things), but whatever. Also always remember to listen to the dog:

Anyway,

1. It was okay, very underwhelming. The main problems are the lack of expressions Usagi has and the tone of the show. Also CGi transformation scene is a turn off (because it looks mediocre when this stock is usually the only good animated part of the series).

2. >reading visual novels

3. Some anime are easy to tell if they're shit right from the get go. But I only continue the shit if it has an outstanding or lively reputation within the community, or if it's so-bad-it's-good. Stuff like Mahouka and NGNL for example I continued to see what's the fuss about and for research. OR I'm just a completist at heart.

4. It is certainly true that SAO is popular due to its MMO concept, but moreso because it panders and targets the lowest of the otaku with its waifus, self-insert protagonist and so on.

5. Simul-watching and livestreams are super fun. I also used to voice call with others to watch anime. It depends on the anime though; some serious ones are best watched alone for me than with others.

7. Yeah. You can enjoy bad things 'because' they're either bad or fun. But deep down they'd still be bad.

8. I am very confused by this question. Isn't this just question 7 but worded more weirdly?

9. No. An anime is an anime and kids shows are no different. You can make a brilliant kids show by doing two things: 1. Age limits that are suitable and targetted to those kids; 2. Make a good show. Look at Precure. Absolutely love it even though it's aimed for little girls. But I don't treat it differently compared to the rest of my shows, but rather what it achieves and strives for when aiming to be both entertaining and suitable.

Also, the way you used the term 'younger auidence' is vague when you mentioned Bleach and Naruto.

10. You mean story-wise and not quality, right? Depends on writing. You can have a really bittersweet, happy or sad ending, just the way you handle it is important.

11. Well yeah, of course you can. Everyone is different. If the characters' actions are justifable within their development and character then there's no reason it should seem understanding. It depends on the writing, essentially.

12. Yes, a spectator. Putting yourself in would be self-inserting or just... I dunno, pretending to be part of the story in your imagination. Or something. It seems silly.

But in conclusion, we talk about animes and mangas in the comments section, so I don't think there's no need for this thread to be perfectly honest.
tommy73Jul 11, 2014 6:30 AM
Jul 11, 2014 8:09 AM

Apr 2009
No "naku koro ni" series and fate, no need to read VN
Zetsubou sensei for the ending (manga)

as for the inherently bad show, everyone have their guilty pleasure of watching those i guess
Jul 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Apr 2009
I just had to edit your post to correct the plural of anime and manga. Please, do not torture the plural so much ;_;

In any case, i will answer later to your questions.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 11, 2014 10:13 AM

Aug 2010
Watup, im only gonna answer some of these. mainly cuz im lazy XD

1- ive not watched new sailor moon, prob wont either. Just not my thing.
3- I used to just finish it. Now im way more likely to just drop it.
4- im not sure why sao blew up like it did. Its not like it was a completely unique idea, I guess people just liked its execution.
5- I probably prefer alone, because I get to rewind scenes as I please.
6- i think my Skype name is cliff_t. Im more into action based anime.
7- of course.
8- If its goal is to entertain, then sure why not.
9- you gotta watch those kind of shows while understanding their target demographic. Don't take em to seriously, and just be entertained.
10- No, bad endings are probably more popular then good endings. So when a good ending comes along, its way more impactful.
12- spectator probably
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 11, 2014 10:53 AM

Sep 2012
1. None.
2. Rurouni Kenshin.
3. That depends a lot. If it's unintetionally hilarious, I usually continue it. If it's plain boring, I'll continue it only if I want to tell people afterwards why the show sucks, otherwise I drop it.
4. That's only the tip of the iceberg. There's so much pandering shit shoved into that garbage that it's hard to pinpoint them all.
5. Had fun once watching a stream of an unintetional comedy show, but if it's a good one, I'd rather be concentrated on it alone.
6. I dunno, you didn't even leave your Skype anyways.
7. Maybe, but I can't remember of such a case.
8. Yes, just like Hellsing Ultimate, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Redline. Those are called mindless fun.
9. My opinion remains the same.
10. I'm not sure if by good and bad you meant happy and sad or poorly-written and well-written. You did use the "well-written" term, but it was ambiguous if it meant a happy and well-written ending or just a well-written ending regardless of anything else.
Anyways, poorly-written endings always get on my nerves. Dei ex machinas and plotlines left hanging can ruin everything.
As for happy or sad, that depends on the kind of story. I wouldn't want a happy ending for Texhnolyze, but neither a sad ending for Aria.
11. Yes, as long as the character makes sense. If they randomly do something retarded without any reasoning, backdrop or at least an acknowledgement of having done wrong, then it does make me angry.
12. Spectator.
Jul 11, 2014 11:33 AM

Apr 2012
1- Pretty badly done. Usagi's voice is a pain to the ears...
2- Nothing too urgent, asides from Claymore perhaps.
3- Depends on the series and how entertaining it is, whether I'm suffering through it alone and so on and so forth. Case in point is Mahouka, because if it wasn't for Popka and Nid I wouldn't be watching it. It's nice to feel that I'm not the only person suffering through it.
4- SAO is just escapism. Most fans of the show I've spoken to agree with that, never met a radical fanboy who attacked me for not liking it.
5- Of course I do!
6- I already added you on skype. Still, for anyone who wants to add me on skype (though I'm not online at the moment because of the World Cup/Ramadan) my skype is suheil.yass
7- Of course I can. What do shows like Mirai Nikki exist for?
8- Yep. *fanboy rant on* Code Geass's plot has enough plot holes to fly a jumbo jet through, but since the entire point was Lelouch's character development as well as developing the main theme of the show (that lying to achieve a greater purpose is not an evil thing to do) while also blending in as many genres as it did, yet I adore the show for being just that and doing a fantastic job at it. Nobody truly understands Code Geass *fanboy rant over*
9- Whatever. Mainstream stuff will always exist. Besides, better a shonentard than a Twilight fan. Oh, and people always change with time.
10- Good/Bittersweet ending > Bad ending. But as long as the message is delivered properly, it can work out either way.
11- The whole point of fiction is to feel pity or see things that can or cannot happen in real life (depending on the person, of course). Understanding why someone would do something is different from actually doing something if you were in that person's place.
12- Mixture of both. Depends on the characters or story in question.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 11, 2014 12:05 PM

Jun 2010
1. The visuals changed, I think the current one rather go for versatility rather than the usual straightforward comical sided kind of style which I think one of the strong qualities of the former. Not sure for the new one though.
2. My younger brother who likes playing games told me that if its type-moon, rather play the game. That was his personal opinion. For manga, might vary if you feel that reading was better with your imagination rather than the animation then go with the narrative.
3. I mark it by checkpoints by the time I reach 30% I recall everything and ask myself if it’s worth it. Then proceed to 60% same thing to up 90%. Three strike rules in every check point, result is often maximum enjoyment or minimum weariness.
4. Yes and different countries have different game culture so the impact of popularity also differs. There are other countries that are rich in MMORPG and anime but didn’t have hype on SAO when it was released.
5. I’ll clone myself. Varies, some show are heavy on narratives and often subtle which I often watch alone. Though I often watch my brother or some of my friends who just pops-up, and yes its more enjoyable.
6. Lag, both sides.
7. If it’s an intentional satire yes, if no I’m going to have a hard time.
8. There are a lot of anime that uses absurdity and use it as a form of comic relief in its genre and have it in intention, I’ll measure the weight of creativity that was put in effort on to it, and usually I imagine it in a demotivational poster or a block diagram.
9. I have a friend who doesn't watch a lot of anime and his favorite is one is Bleach can’t really call him a plebe since he’s a CCNP and a Head Security and Assistant Manager on well-known Telecommunication Company and pretty busy on his career. Same thing with kids, they either watch cartoons or do their school assignment, it’s not like they will put all of their effort to think about shows whose only purpose is to unwind their gears.
10. Yes because a bad ending toughens people, ideal one is generic and predictable but if you ask me I’ll choose neither there are shows that usually put things in the borderline or does both.
11. Yes, but you have to consider the reasoning and factors on why did they did the X stuff. Sometimes it irritates me even if I understand them since they remind me of some people I know who happen to have the below-par or worst decision-making abilities when they are suffering from stress or some kind of illness.
12. Varies in the line of every individual’s interest, but for practical reasons; always consider if you would gain something before you engage, but since majority of things are scatological, pretty much most of the time you’ll just end up as a spectator.
"Deep."
Jul 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Jun 2013
1- Havn't watched any.
2- Havn't read any.
3- Stop it, unless i've heard it has a good ending.
4- Yes. That's probably the reason I enjoyed the first season when it was my 3rd anime watched.
5- Don't have anyone to watch with IRL. Only stuff i've watched is with this group and it was bloody hilarious.
6- Sure I guess.
7- Yes. Guilty Crown.
8- Sure, the whole reason i'm watching is to be entertained.
9- Naruto is #1 Anime
10- Yes, they're more memorable but very hard to get right. Sometimes I wish they would take the easy way out and doing a happy ever after ending.
11- IDK, most MC's are fking retarded and piss me off to no end.
12- That's hard. Depends on how enthralling the series is. I'd say more of a spectator except for most sports anime(S!)
Jul 11, 2014 12:32 PM

Apr 2012
1- Didnt like the original that much , and this one looks way worse.
2- No
3- I stop unless I already got really far. Problem is I have a pretty big tolerance so I end up torturing myself with anime hat can only please me half the time or less and torture me most of the other time. There is only few I completely dislike.
4- SAO is wishfulfillment. I speak from experience. But not just any plain wishfulfillment about a harem of sexy girl acting as your cocksleeve. There are already enough anime lie that out there. Its a Virtual Reality wishfullfillment anime, and it came out around the time I was heavily thinking about VR. And along comes an anime that not only has VR but implements it just the way I imagined it (full dive).So naturally I was hyped, but in the end I ended up with a bittersweet feeling. You kinda like how you feel after youve masturbated to some really nasty porn, youre pleased but at the same time disgusted by what you just indulged yourself into.
5- alone.
6- Maybe. Once I get to know you better that is.
7- Yes see aforementioned SAO. That said I cant enjoy it quite as much as if it wouldnt have any flaws.
8- No, entertaining doesnt mean its very good. It can be good but not very good or great.
9- I think its completely fine. Lets be honest aint no point in showing a 10 year old Texhnolyze. I think those shows manage to entertain those kids really well and lets be honest thats the point of any entertainment medium. Honestly we are rather cursed because we cant enjoy everything, were like picky eaters, sure we consider ourselves with a more refined taste and standards because of it, but the reality is we cant consume just anything and be happy which is rather impractical.
10- Yes but only because they are few.
11- No it just irritates me most of the time. Just because the show says he is stupid doesnt mean its less irritating when h does something stupid.
12- I have always been a spectator. I just cant immerse myself into anything else other then games. Sorry, the fact that its not me who is a control simply always reminds me that its not my story.
Jul 11, 2014 12:52 PM
Jul 2012
Here's my answers to your questions buddy. :)

1. I haven't really gotten into Sailor Moon that much as a kid and seeing the news that the show will remake I not going to watch that. Cool for the nostalgia fans who watches Sailor Moon, but not for me. And, I heard the art that people was saying some of the characters looked odd which I agreed with them.

2. Play Ps Vita's game of Dragonrana instead because that show is bad since it looks like the anime adaption doesn't bring a whole lot compared what the game makes it great than the tv show. Trust that to the fans who prefer the game than the anime adaption. I haven't played the game before but I hope I will play it one day.

3. If I don't like a anime show, I either try watching three episodes of it just to see if I will like it or I just plain out dropped it because the show fails for me to be entertained.

4. Ehh. Doesn't really matter to me that Sao's popular on MMO shows because I haven't really watched the show and I not prefer on watching it. Though, now I can say if the creators make another show based on the MMO genre, it will flop and make SAO the only show look good.

5. Alone when I find a show that can easily be found in streams and want to focus for the plot while being focused on what's happening. Livestream where I can't find a show to watch in streams or also I will be interested on watching something different depending on who picks a show/movie we will watch. Most likely I like to thanks for this club who streams some shows and movies that I will like either it ends up not liking the movie/show at the end sometimes. Without livestream for the elitist club, then this club will be a little boring.

6. No thanks on Skyping since I don't go there because every time I go there it's dead where I bump a chat group. But, you can comment me in my profile on stuff you want to know.

7. Depends on the scenes of the show makes me laugh even I consider the show so shitty that I want to put it to the trash list.(dropped)

8. I don't really get that question.

9. For younger people who wants to try out big 3 shows, they will definitely like on watching and reading the big 3 even all three all together. Though, if you think a younger person only likes one show for example "Bleach" and don't want to try other two shows because the episodes are too much, then let the person likes one and sticks with it forever without considering him to watch something different.

10. If a really great show has a good beginning through middle but has a bad ending, then I will still like the show depending if a show has some great episodes like in Soul Eater. Though if the show has twelve episodes or a show gets really good up until it has a bad ending of predictable like a good guy defeats the bad guy or something else like that, then the show will have an issue for me.

11. When I first watched Another back in 2012, that's when I told myself I would never do these stuff what the character is doing since either the character has a habit issue or I say it's fake. But, if any character has a terrible disorder and is doing something VERY stupid that will irritate me until I shake my head(looking at you NHK) then that will be very annoying where I don't want to watch that crap anymore. Now, if a character improves the problem they is facing and improves it by not doing other stupid stuff where he/she shouldn't be then I won't have a issue at all.

12. Spectator for me.
Jul 17, 2014 11:33 PM

Oct 2012
(Not going to quote every single post for... practical reasons)

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough for some questions, I have a hard time expressing myself specifically in english.
I'm not in the comments section because... it's the comment section. You can't put something and two days later look at it properly. I created this thread more for people who likes me, don't come here everyday and want to ask questions and such. But I'll try to look more into it : )
Thank you really everyone who replied - it was very interesting read your answers. I'll send my Skype via PM : )

Here now are my general answers to... everything.

1. I was a huge fan of Sailor Moon back when I was a little girl, so nostalgia stroke me (and my love for Magical Girls). Since I think that the first anime was pretty bad (I'm currently rewatching it for refreshing my memory since... I was like 7.) I have high hope for the 2014 remake to follow the manga's more mature storyline and issues.

2. I personally prefer to always look at the original before the anime - it's just a habit of mine with everything (reading the book before watching the movie you know...)

3. I'm always torn between the two so your thoughts about it really made me think : )

4. ... I'll be having nightmares. I remember when I was playing on an MMORPG and suddenly the guild's conversation was about SAO and how much the world was so horrible and they wanted to be stuck in a virtual world... I just can't personally understand that. (But that's my personality anyway)

5. Mostly agree with everyone with "Serious: Alone, Funny: Group"

6. Thanks for those who said yes, no problem for those who said no. Not like I'll kill anyone for not wanting a stranger in their contact list o_o

7. Ecchi that doesn't make me cringe, Yaoi and Yuri entertain me (such confession) so I wondered if it was OH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD BURN HER.

8. Yeah kinda looked like the 7th question, I don't know how to say it in another way.

9. Pretty helpful and interesting thoughts. General Audience shows are the one that interest me the most - I mostly talked about Bleach and Naruto since in North America channels, they are "adapted" and mostly known by kids. I already have a mental list of everything I want my kids to watch...

10. My first thought was that everyone was going to answer bad ending - I mostly wanted to hear a thorough explanation (since the one I heard weren't nearly satisfactory). Thanks again. As for me, I prefer good endings - ask me why and I'll say... just that I don't throw this explanation anywhere. (*mysterioooouuus*)

11/12. Depends on me. I like to immerse myself personally, I just love the feeling rich universes - same feeling I have when I read a good book.

So yeah, thanks again everyone who answered. I don't say it mildly when I say that it was very interesting :3
Jul 19, 2014 3:46 PM

Dec 2007
here it goes:

1 I don't remember too much about the original series but I'm rather curious for the hype. It is not yhe best thing ever but watching it in nico video with coments is amusing.

2 higurashi. It's just so diferent. It's hard to explain.
Umineko. There is not going to be a ending in anime so you need to read the novel to know how it finish. Start with episode 1 they skipped so many things you may get lost if you don't do so.

IN general I recomend reading the VN id you can there is a lot anime out there but no so much interesting translated Visual novels. VN takes more time while anime not so much. It's your decision.

3 I drop it unless it good enough for trolling (SAO)

4 more about hyperpowered Jesus and the so edgy 4 you

5 Both options are interesting. Doing it in group is interesting for shows with references of topics you don't have much knowledge about.

6 If I'm lazy for forums I'm even more lazy for skype.

7 Yeah why not as long as I don't get bored it is ok. Anime is entertainment.

8 yeah mostly in comedy.

9 Yeah Digimon rules.

10 Yeah bad endings are a good endings are fine really good endings are so few that they are amazing.

11 Yes why no. I'm not the character nor I'm interested in that self insert thing.

12 Normaly a spectator but it depends of the ability of the creator with worldbuilding.
Feb 26, 2015 4:57 PM

Jun 2012
7- Can you enjoy something considered "bad" just because it entertains you?

This question in particular is something that I often feel I have to explain, because while I would say that my understanding of what makes a good anime is refined, my taste in anime isn't. I rate the anime I watch on MAL based off of my personal enjoyment. My only criteria for a 10 is that it either A. brings me to tears or B. remains on my mind for several days after. Often times, what I enjoy may not be good at all, and I'll be the first to admit that. Hell, I think I gave Metal Fight Beyblade: Zero G a 9 just because I like Beyblade and it got the 5 year old in me hyped. There was no character or plot development whatsoever in the entire series and had I been rating it objectively, I probably would have given it a 5. At the same time, I still love analyzing and discussing a good thought-provoking anime and at times will even take notes in order to understand something better. My tastes may vary to an extreme, but I don't let it affect my judgment.
So...to answer your question, I say yes.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Oct 18, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2013
I was thinking about how certain moments in anime can push my enjoyment over the edge. What might be a good or even a bad show might become great by one moment or heck, even one line that makes an impact. I'm thinking the catch from Eureka Seven. Ghostlightning wrote about how he felt about it. https://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/e726/ I don't really want to unpack it as its magical to me. I find myself going back and watching it from time to time. It showcases raw emotions and how characters are receptive to them even with chaos that's happening around. It's beautiful.

For a different show I didn't enjoy JoJo. I actually dropped it before picking it up again. It wasn't until the very end of the first arc where Jonathan did Sunlight Yellow Overdrive that I started to warm up to it. Once Joseph appeared I was sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aB-LZfxCZs

Then there's Guillotine Gorilla in Samurai Flamenco that marked the end of my enjoyment for it. I was curious and watched some episodes after but the damage was done.

Another moment that I'm thinking of, though in video games, is when Solid Snake is in the tunnel. Now, the game is pretty much a smorgasbord of memorable moments but this one takes the cake. The player shares the anguish with the character. It served to showcase our hero's will to keep on moving. Wonderful. The gameplay and one of the themes was combined in an amazing way. MGS has a lot of these moments. I'm thinking of the torture scenes in 1 and 2, the end of MGS3, and the horse in Peacewalker.

What are some moments that changed your opinion of a show for better or worse?
Nagisa33Oct 18, 2015 2:10 PM
Oct 18, 2015 7:09 PM

Feb 2014
Nagisa33 said:
For a different show I didn't enjoy JoJo. I actually dropped it before picking it up again. It wasn't until the very end of the first arc where Jonathan did Sunlight Yellow Overdrive that I started to warm up to it. Once Joseph appeared I was sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aB-LZfxCZs

I feel this. The Phantom Blood arc may establish things, but it's still a tad boring... in fact, the first time I read JJBA I almost dropped it. Glad I didn't, it's one of my favorite manga. DiNC anime when @ David Production

Nagisa33 said:
What are some moments that changed your opinion of a show for better or worse?

A fairly biased example, but way back I was hyped for Devil Survivor 2 the Animation (megaten ftw) and then it butchered characters significantly,

Another example would be Alien 9. I already thought it was boring, wanted to drop it, but then episode 4 happened. It was everything I expected from the OVA going in, and bumped my score up from a 3 to a 5/10. It's massively overrated still, honestly.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.