Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 10, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
Last half of the episode was very strong. That is also one hell of an ED is I must say so myself.
Jul 10, 2014 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
UnbornMVs said:
The whole first episode was basically a reminder to how awesome and epic Sebastian is.

The more Sebastian, the better
Jul 10, 2014 3:45 PM

Mar 2014
The ending was totally amazing. The mansion looks a lot more beautiful and it feels like Sebastian grew twice as hot (or maybe I feel that way because I haven't seen him in awhile). I loved the emphasis on the preparations, especially the food. Sebastian's fighting skills are as epic, smooth, and formal as ever.
Jul 10, 2014 4:15 PM

Dec 2013
orchidork said:
that was great. this episode was reminiscent of the 1st season's 1st episode. i guess they're treating it like the 2nd season never happened. i'm excited to get the circus arc started

From what I've gathered this picks up right after the Curry Arc of S1, everything after that is treated as if it didn't happen.

So glad to see this back the way it's meant to be seen, like the first half of S1. Much better than the garbage S2!
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jul 10, 2014 4:43 PM

Apr 2013
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS BACK!

Jul 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Jul 2010
Great to see the serie again, I hate season 2 with a passion so I'm really relieved they picked up the manga material for this. Pretty slow but enjoyable first episode, makes me wonder what happened with that guy though? He just... wasn't there anymore?... :)

I haven't read the manga but the preview for the next episode seems really cool, I love the whole circus theme and I'm hopding for -finally- a bit of background story on Ciel and how/why he summoned Sebastian in the first place.
Jul 10, 2014 5:11 PM
Jul 2010
Animefanx3 said:

I haven't read the manga but the preview for the next episode seems really cool, I love the whole circus theme and I'm hopding for -finally- a bit of background story on Ciel and how/why he summoned Sebastian in the first place.

The circus arc is one of the best, if not the best. The first season of anime doesn't even compare to how awesome it is.

I didn't like the first episode a lot, I found it slow but it's still a good introduction for someone who never watched the series. I think the interesting events will begin next week. The animation is better and Sebastian's eyes look better :3
Jul 10, 2014 5:13 PM
Nov 2011
I loved this first epi! I was pumped the entire episode! It had the same setting as epi 1 from season 1 but its better! Cant wait to see the circus cast!! I really love them!! >w<
And Ciel' visual is cool too, his hair is more gray and less blue and his eyes are beautiful =D I also loved the OP/ED(I really want to know wich one it is XD)

RedReaper said:

I squealed when I saw the OP, because Knoxie and Grell were in it!!!!!!!!!!!! They weren't in the circus arc of the manga, so I didn't get overly hopeful. But I'm pretty sure that the studio HAD to add Grell in because he's the best anime character of all time and is the total fan favourite.

Are you sure? I think I remenber Knox appearing at the end of the arc taking the souls of "you know who"(spoiler for the non-manga readers) and complaining about it. And maybe Grell might make a cameo with him or be mentioned as a flashback? I jumped when the pop up in the OP/ED *w*
Jul 10, 2014 5:26 PM

Feb 2014
Every couple of years they should just pick a different arc from the manga and make a show out of it.
Sebby-Chaaaaan!
flowerheaddressJul 10, 2014 5:48 PM
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Jul 10, 2014 5:26 PM

Jan 2014
I thought it was an amazing start. I love the circus theme that is arriving. I thought the clothes were pretty cool too. Great OP as well!
Jul 10, 2014 6:19 PM
Oct 2009
AMorgan said:
UnbornMVs said:
The whole first episode was basically a reminder to how awesome and epic Sebastian is.

Exactly, which means it was exactly the same as the first season's first episodes. It was a pretty boring start. But it seems like it will have a good development.

My thoughts exactly. We've seen the exact same thing at the start of season1. To think I thought they'd follow the manga for once....
Jul 10, 2014 6:45 PM
Dec 2013
I loved the first episode. It reminded me of the first episode of season one. Watching this just makes you love Sebastian more then you ever knew you could. He is so amazing it is hard to describe. I have to say the only thing I don't like is having to wait till next week for a new episode. It can be hard waiting that long. I can do it but that does not mean I like to. Anyways it was an amazing episode and I can't wait till they introduce Snake. He is one of my favorite characters from the manga. This looks to be so good. I can't wait to see more.
Jul 10, 2014 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
oh how ive missed this series~ its so great to have it back~
Sebastian amazing as always~
i cant wait for the next episode xD
i love the begining animation for the opening song
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 10, 2014 7:06 PM

Jun 2013
It was okay i guess, basically the exact same thing as episode 1 of season 1, The Circus arc is my favorite arc and because this season is only 10 episodes long i was hoping theyd jump right into it, but nope; for episode 1 we get pointless filler , i still have faith that this could but i am concerned they're gonna screw this up like they screwed up the first two seasons.
Jul 10, 2014 7:34 PM

Sep 2013
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG! I'm seriously so happy I dont even care if this episode was so similar to ep 1 season1. Def like the slight changes in ciel and sebastian's character design. And that one scene where sebastian catches all the champagne glasses was awesome! Really excited to watch this arc, I can't to see william get more screen time.
Jul 10, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2007
Loved the episode. animation is awsome i must say.

Sebastian's true form appearing is never too much. *.*

so only 10 episodes... it probably means this will be the only arc adapted.

I wanted to see the murder and zombie arcs so much. =(
Jul 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
They are actually making a long OVA for the murder arc :)
Jul 10, 2014 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
It's finally back! Lovely episode! Ciel! <3

Jul 10, 2014 8:03 PM

Sep 2013
Season 2 was almost 4 years ago :O so they wanted to smooth into this season :)

A flamethrower? really? XD
Lau and Ran Mau <3

Took me while to get used to Sebastian's voice since I watched the dub (yes, the dub is in the 1% of good dubs :D)
Jul 10, 2014 8:10 PM
Apr 2014
This episode is like a replay of the very first episode of the first season.. Love the familiar feeling in it. I missed Mei rin, Finny, Bald and Tanaka san so much and of course Ciel and Sebastian. One hell of a butler is in action again! The design in this season seems to have been improving so much. The layout of the mansion, the dining hall are all amazing. Ciel's clothes too. And omg the animation of the ED.
Jul 10, 2014 8:25 PM
Aug 2011
I know we hear OnoD all the time but it took me until now to realize that I actually missed him as Sebastian.
Jul 10, 2014 8:26 PM
Apr 2014
The episode had a slow start, but I loved it. It's a reminder of how awesome Sebastian is and how loveable the servants are.

I'm so fucking excited for the animation. Sneak peek of the new characters at the end, I can't wait until they're in full motion. :D

But, is it just me or are there some character differences? For example:

- Ciel's hair is lighter, and his eyes are more of a teal than a deep blue
- Sebastian's face is stouter, he's more built, and his eyes are bigger
- The characters' speech is a bit slower?

I just finished re-watching the 1st season of Black Butler today, so I can't tell if I'm looking at the animation too closely or if there really are any animation differences.
Jul 10, 2014 8:33 PM
Aug 2011
Yes I noticed the differences too and this is coming from someone who watched the first season about three years ago.

Some of the things I noticed right away were that Sebastian's face used to be a tad slimmer/sharper and Ciel's eyes look really bright.

I don't know about the speech being slower but this series has a different director so that might be it.
Jul 10, 2014 8:40 PM
Sep 2013
Yay! I've been waiting for this part to get animated! I love the scene where Sebastian was catching all those glass, it looked really epic. I also love the opening :D
Jul 10, 2014 8:43 PM

Jun 2014
It was so great to see the old gang all together again!

I love Sebastian and he definitely is one HELL of a butler! Ciel looked older to me, but maybe its just because I haven't seen him in forever.

All in all this was a great episode. A lot of action on Sebastian's part and a story arc that I am excited to see!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jul 10, 2014 8:50 PM

Jun 2014
Ciel phantomhive is back!! And Sebastian of course. I liked Ciel's old hair color :( I'm so happy this came out, nice calm (sort of) first episode.
Jul 10, 2014 8:52 PM

Mar 2013
rawrlsy said:

Yes, they definitely changed. For anyone wondering, I believe it's because they are paying attention to the original manga character designs this time. This is how the manga author draws/colors them:
Jul 10, 2014 8:56 PM
Apr 2014
lament-flower said:
rawrlsy said:

Yes, they definitely changed. For anyone wondering, I believe it's because they are paying attention to the original manga character designs this time. This is how the manga author draws/colors them:

Aha, that'll explain it. I watched the anime before reading the manga, and I noticed differences between those two platforms. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm glad they decided to stick closer to the manga. :D
Jul 10, 2014 9:10 PM
Mar 2009
Nothing different that we have already seen at season one.
Good to see good characters like Mey-rin and Lau.
Good ending.
Jul 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Nov 2007
Is it back to very beginning of season 1? So the real Circus thing begins next ep.

LOVE the OP (ED in this ep.)
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 10, 2014 10:00 PM

Sep 2010
Yes. So much hype for this. I can't wait to see the rest, considering this was my favourite ark :-).

The beginning of the Ending Theme is also very very cool.. Loved how the animated the part showing all the circus characters.
Jul 10, 2014 10:43 PM

Apr 2007
aaahhhh the opening is awesome~~~ I'm glad they're back to adapting actual arcs from the manga. I remember this one being so good too (well, I enjoyed all except the murder case). Ciel's hair bothers me though. Color accuracy aside, I think it looks better a little darker or just with a little more color than grey. Something!

shinigami LOVE
Jul 10, 2014 11:06 PM

Apr 2010
I'm so happy that Kuroshitsuji is back ;__; I missed Ciel and Sebby so much! First ep looked great, hope it stays that way for the rest of the episodes.
Jul 10, 2014 11:09 PM

Nov 2012
So so good...
All of this is basically a walk down memory lane!
It was so fun watching all the characters again. The animation was really well-done, and Sebastian tho...
He was epic, like always!
❤ can't wait for the circus!!
Jul 10, 2014 11:18 PM

Oct 2013
seems like Karneval... didn't watch S1, but will go later, interesting ep1...SiD OP!!
Jul 10, 2014 11:58 PM

Sep 2013
ah my baby ciel phantomhive is back! He and his voice <3

And Sebby too <3
Jul 11, 2014 12:29 AM

Sep 2010
The Circus Arc has always been one of my favorites so I can't wait to see more! I love this shows atmosphere so much. The soundtrack and visuals are great as usual. I'm always happy to hear Daisuke Ono's voice as Sebastian, it's a treasure.

I could've sworn the scenes in the beginning with Mei-Rin, Finnian, and Bard were already animated but I guess my brain is confusing them with the manga.
Jul 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
I am so Excited-this is my favorite arc.
I LOVE the op. definitely nice looking, and its pretty original-i didn't see any of the main characters running in a field or lookin up to the sky or that nonsense.

They lightened up Ciels eyes... I sorta liked em darker, but i guess they're copying that beautiful watercolor esque picture of ciel with the flower hat during the college arc.
Jul 11, 2014 12:41 AM

Dec 2012
I watched the dub before too, without even trying the sub(because i likedthe dub), and i gotta say, the voices are fantastic. Ono does a great job as sebastian.

I love the soundtrack of all of the kuroshitsuji's. they fit the atmosphere so well.
Jul 11, 2014 1:04 AM
Apr 2014
Lyrisia said:
UnbornMVs said:

Haha totally!!

Anyway it was a nice ep just to get into again I guess xD
And Ciel's eyes color changed no? or is it just me? It was darker before...

I think so too haha - even the purple eye got darker
Jul 11, 2014 2:03 AM

Dec 2011
Like someone said this episode was a nice reminder on how badass Sebastian is.
Nice to see that useless trio of servants again, they always make me smile and Tanaka-san is baaaaaack!

The opening song by SID was great too.
Jul 11, 2014 2:07 AM

Apr 2009
flowerheaddress said:
Every couple of years they should just pick a different arc from the manga and make a show out of it.
Sebby-Chaaaaan!
^This.

I can't say that I can see this happening, but it is definitely something that I think could work well.
Jul 11, 2014 4:42 AM

May 2009
Wow I'm glad they stick to the manga, and good things is they ignored the whole 2nd season, hahahaha
Jul 11, 2014 5:55 AM

Mar 2014
Milenart said:

Are you sure? I think I remenber Knox appearing at the end of the arc taking the souls of "you know who"(spoiler for the non-manga readers) and complaining about it. And maybe Grell might make a cameo with him or be mentioned as a flashback? I jumped when the pop up in the OP/ED *w*

I think Knox may have appeared very briefly (though I can't remember for sure...), but for certain Grell didn't appear at all. And the dear OP guaranteed us some Grell so that's uplifting!
Jul 11, 2014 6:10 AM

Dec 2011
Ciel and Sebastian long time no see and welcome back! T.T

Tanaka-san has to act as per usual LOL XD.

Hahahaha, Mey-Rin transformed into a bubble monster.

It seems Sebastian is always coming to rescue his moronic staff XD.

Oooopsssieee, it looks like Mey-Rin tripped lol.

Ohooo, Sebastian, we can always count on you to save the day!

LOL, things are back to normal and he's freaked out XD.

Hehehe, his underlings were give a warm welcome the Phatomhive way it seems.

Ok, so that's where Sebastian got everything he needed from lol.

"Dead men tell no tales", very epic saying.

The circus is in town!

Can't wait to see how things progress in the next episodes!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 11, 2014 6:27 AM

Oct 2007
I'm so glad to see this anime back!! ^-^ Seby-chan is awesome as always!

That OP is really cool too! but then again; Kuroshitsuji always had great openings! X3
Jul 11, 2014 6:44 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm, mostly filler first episode but I guess it had to be done to reintroduce the characters. Reminded me of season one's first episode. Art style looks better and more faithful to the manga, which is good. OP was pretty nice as well.

I hope they'll follow the manga closely from now on and won't censor too much stuff later on (the bluray is rated R-17 iirc so I guess they won't censor). And if this gets good enough sales along with Book of Murder, I hope they'll make other manga arcs into anime as well. I really want the Campania arc animated!
TeyoJul 11, 2014 1:33 PM
Jul 11, 2014 8:30 AM

Oct 2009
Quite a boring first ep. It's so predictable, it's basically a rehash of the first few chaps of the manga. And are they gg to do this 'in the morning, afternoon, night and midnight' thing every ep? Cos if they do, it's gg to be really annoying.

But the appearance of the circus ppl makes me excited, since I've been waiting for them. Finally we get some REAL villains. And good thing they placed the OP near the end, cos if they did in the beginning, I would be hyped up for nothing. Eh...seems the Shinigami are not gonna appear much this arc, and I don't see Undertaker anywhere in the OP 0.o

Definitely a disappointing first ep, but I really believe things are gg to step up as of next ep onwards.
Jul 11, 2014 9:18 AM

Nov 2007
wow,i missed Kuroshitsuji so much!i was practically squealing the whole time,lmao...mature...
And i still need Sebastian in my life.
Jul 11, 2014 9:40 AM

Sep 2010
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I feel like I may like this anime much better than the first Kuroshitsuji series.
Great to see Sebastian again, I almost forgot how marvelous Daisuke Ono was in this role. Can't wait until we get to see more characters the next episode too.
And now I'm considering picking up the manga again, well well.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

146 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

97 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.