Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2009 9:23 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh God this episode was so hilarious I can't stop laughing.
A little bit too pervert though especially in the "You don't need any clothe" moment.
And she used her breasts to launch rocket, now I know where Queen's Blade found his inspiration D:
Jul 21, 2010 10:27 PM

May 2010
Lol, this is the same guy who directed Evangelion? He's gone from a depressed emo to a hyperactive pervert! Oh lord, this was hilarious, and let's admit it, any straight men in the audience had a shit eating grin on their face by the end :) How many fights do you see turned around with the line "My breasts are firmer than yours"?

On a related note, the animation style is very cute and retro. Too bad this is only going to be 3 episodes long :(
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 12, 2011 12:46 PM

Sep 2009
Only Gainax can make fanservice this entertaining.
Aug 16, 2011 2:53 PM

Apr 2011
Fuckin amazing ... awesome psychadelic artwork, tons and tons of nekkid Cutey fanservice (her nipples are even visible thru her spandex top in this one) and even some super moves against her opponent! I wholeheartedly approve :D The bondage scene was pretty extreme but deliciously hilarious, and I have a feeling that most of that last fight was strictly fap-bait for Cutey fanboys (and girls).

Cutey's my favorite 2D female of all time, and the scene where Gold Claw was surrounded by a harem of naked blonde Honeys ... *dies* And then she uses the power of her oppai to deflect head-on missiles. Damn, this version of Cutey Honey does make Queen's Blade look pretty tame ... pity there's only three episodes. I hope they at least bring it to a decent conclusion in that time.

I had to LOL at the tsundere cop bitch, and how effortlessly Cutey ditched her time and time again. Then at the end they're next door neighbors! Ah the irony :P Wonder if she'll be poking her meddlesome (but kawaii) little face in Honey's boso-er, business again.
Blind_GuardianAug 16, 2011 2:57 PM
Apr 19, 2013 8:28 PM

Jan 2013
PseudoJord said:
Only Gainax can make fanservice this entertaining.

This.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 21, 2014 6:25 PM
Sep 2013
This was AWESOME. Seriously this episode deserve a 10/10.

Not really a fan of fanservice but everything was damn perfect.

Loved those cute cops running around ahah.
Mar 11, 2014 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
Having watched the original series, I didnt see this coming.
The camera direction gave me a headache, and I didnt like the character design. At least the fights were fun to watch.
But this was Imaishi, lets see what Anno did in the third episode.
May 9, 2014 2:53 AM

Apr 2012
The Gainax touch works exceptionally well here.

This has definitely got Imaishi's fingerprint on it.
Apr 1, 2016 12:55 PM

Feb 2015
Beautiful... I should've watched this ALOT earlier. Reminds me of Kill la kill + panty and stocking.

Not sure if the original series is the same but if it is, i'll defo binge watch it.
Aug 26, 2016 11:14 PM

Apr 2013
I was actually pretty bored most of the time. Laughed once.
Jun 1, 2017 8:37 AM

Sep 2015
Good lord what did I just watch. Was honestly floored it was directed by Hideaki Anno and not Hiroyuki Imaishi. This felt like proto-Kill la Kill. Maybe just because aesthetically it was like a demented perverts take on the Sailor Moon/Utena look. There were a lot of things I liked and found funny in this episode. As always with super-ecchi Gainax plenty I found cringey/groan worthy. All in all thought it was a fun old school OVA episode. Definitely going to finish this one. Plus I have a total crush on Yui Horie. And she killed it in the lead role. Hope there's less perverse BDSMy bullshit in future installments. Not expecting much from the plot but that's ok.
Dec 3, 2017 12:55 PM

May 2012
Oh boy, Cutey Honey sure changed in all those years and having Gainax on board (with presumably the same team behind Panty And Stocking later) it sure shows. The hilarious, ecchi and very cartoonesk just makes it hilarious!

Really loved this first episode, and I'm looking forwards to see what's next.
Mar 17, 2018 9:39 PM

Apr 2014
SubscriberSun said:
Good lord what did I just watch. Was honestly floored it was directed by Hideaki Anno and not Hiroyuki Imaishi. This felt like proto-Kill la Kill. Maybe just because aesthetically it was like a demented perverts take on the Sailor Moon/Utena look. There were a lot of things I liked and found funny in this episode. As always with super-ecchi Gainax plenty I found cringey/groan worthy. All in all thought it was a fun old school OVA episode. Definitely going to finish this one. Plus I have a total crush on Yui Horie. And she killed it in the lead role. Hope there's less perverse BDSMy bullshit in future installments. Not expecting much from the plot but that's ok.
Lol I know I am super late but this was directed by Imaishi. Anno oversaw the project and did direct the third episode however this episode was all Imaishi Hiroyuki. Mal doesnt do credits justice.
Mar 31, 2018 3:10 PM

Nov 2016
This franchise definitely got better and better over the years. The Gainax over the top style is suiting this series extremely well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2015
The opening, the colours, the overall style and mix of violence and female body looks like a call back to both the manga and the first TV show. Nice recipe.
This OAV seemed to be a look-alike of the mecha-focused Abenobashi episode. Reading this thread, I understand why.

Oh, is this black villain a copy of the Baron Ashura?

5/5 Was the neon glows meeting scene a nod to Evangelion?

@FMmatron Indeed. And Anno helming the project could only help. If you like his take, you can get another version from him with the live-action movie he co-directed with the famous anime designer Araki Shingo (Cutie Honey, St Seiya, etc).

PS: Nagai's original manga was kind of daring and "funny" for its time. Most of this mangaka's titltes were better on paper than as family programs on TV. (just take a look at Harenchi Gakuen, manga VS drama)
Rei_IIIJan 2, 2019 8:21 AM
Oct 15, 2018 9:32 PM
Sep 2009
Great Gainax animation. Would have been nice if the live action AK48 was Cutie Honey. :D Each disguise would be a different idol!
Mar 17, 2019 1:32 PM

Sep 2013
Manu_ said:
Having watched the original series, I didnt see this coming.
The camera direction gave me a headache, and I didnt like the character design. At least the fights were fun to watch.
But this was Imaishi, lets see what Anno did in the third episode.

Glad someone else felt the same way I did. I loved the originals, but this just seemed like they phoned it in. Character designs were awful and the background were lazy. The whole thing was too frenetic to be watchable.

Kind of a letdown.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 23, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2019
Just watched the first 4 minutes before the OP. That was a good introduction that sets Re's tone very well. Love the unique art-style so much and the cop character looks a very interesting new addition.

Will edit another post after finishing the first OVA.

Edit: Just finished watching the first episode. Wow.. this is great!
The art-style is so, soo good, and it goes so well with Cutie Honey's story, Aki Natsuko is so badass in this version. She almost the limelight from Honey at times :$

Here are some gifs I took from scenes I really liked:

Stitch screenshots of Honey.

Did you guys know that Honey's VA in this is also Natsuko's VA in Cutie Honey Universe? I found that a really amusing fact while checking the VA's page.

RN-23May 23, 2019 6:42 PM
Sep 11, 2023 4:34 AM
Jul 2020
Speechless....so many feelings going thru the l'noggin after experiencing that insane 1st OVA and all I can surmise is ...that's how you improve upon a classic anime. As fan of the original series, I was surprised how quickly the show's quick wit and frenetic slapstick could win me over but damn did it gain a devoted disciple after that full course meal of hilarious ecchi action goodness. Truly my interest is peaked and I can only expect my libido pleasure to be matched only by my funny bone over the next two titalating installments.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re: Cutie Honey Episode 3 Discussion

shanejayell - Jun 3, 2009

24 by Hazosh »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:21 AM

» Has Anyone Seen The Movie?

Mizilla - Oct 2, 2010

2 by ChinskiaBajka »»
May 5, 2023 8:21 AM

Poll: » Re: Cutie Honey Episode 2 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Oct 10, 2009

12 by QueenNothing »»
Dec 25, 2022 9:21 AM

» It just bugs me....

PenDraco - Oct 16, 2011

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 23, 2019 2:40 PM

» Soo, did Funimation actually license this?

Devdan - Mar 8, 2010

1 by Keirik »»
Apr 3, 2010 5:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.