Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 7, 2014 9:22 PM

Jan 2008
So is this the cute girls doing cute things anime of this season or am I missing a show?
Jul 7, 2014 9:36 PM

Apr 2008
The backgrounds are pretty but the character designs are fairly unappealing. Hana is irritating and I feel like we can do without Yaya being aorund.

Not sure if I want not actually cute girls doing cute things.
Jul 7, 2014 10:04 PM

Jun 2013
Bishoujos, Moe, soft yet vibrant color palette, dancing, slice of life...

Between Akame ga Kill, Tokyo Ghoul, Zankyou no Terror, Argevollen, Aldnoah.Zero, and SAO II, this will serve as a nice interlude between all the chaos. I'm not counting on Glasslip to stay lighthearted either. However, this might get emotional too, if this episode was any indication. At least it's a break from the explosions and death, lol.
-Trippwire-Jul 7, 2014 10:18 PM
Jul 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
the whole joining-the-club thing was dragged out too long. but it still might turn out to be a nice series, the visuals look great at least!
Jul 7, 2014 11:21 PM

Jun 2013
I really liked the opening song, and the environment of the anime, super pretty.

Hana really looks and sounds like a character that Touyama Nao would voice lol if that makes sense

I look forward to more, this looks like a promising fun series
Jul 7, 2014 11:28 PM

Apr 2012
Great insert song. The animation/ lighting is pleasing to the eyes. On the fence on this one. Just looks like cute girls doing cute things show >_>.

Jul 8, 2014 3:10 AM

Mar 2012
Wow this one was a quick let down.

I was expecting some sort of magical girl anime, I got cute 14 years old chicks doing cute things with heavy yuri subtexts may I add. Def not what I'm here for.

The art is mediocre IMO, what's with these weird eyelids ? Is it supposed to be make-up or si the chara designer just helpless ?

Its sole saving grace is the OST, really, not enough to deter me from dropping it though.

So, so disappointed. 2/5

Jul 8, 2014 3:12 AM

May 2014
Criska said:
... what's with these weird eyelids ? Is it supposed to be make-up or si the chara designer just helpless ?
Madhouse can't do moe, I don't know why they did this.
Jul 8, 2014 3:18 AM

Aug 2013
Main girl doesn't realize she's already cute, hmm.
And I actually thought Hana was some sort of a supernatural being for being able to do those jumps.

Cute stuff, will continue watching.
Jul 8, 2014 3:35 AM

May 2013
Picked up.

Madhouse at its finest. The animation is gorgeous, especially the Sakura trees. Liking Hana so far.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 8, 2014 4:20 AM

May 2013
I was very entertained when I saw them dance in the OP.
Hana left a good impression. I like how she's energetic and stays faithful to what she loves - yosakoi.
Jul 8, 2014 4:42 AM

Sep 2007
This is gonna be long and I apologize in advance.

-

I was really looking forward to this series as I danced yosakoi myself for a year, but to me this was a real let-down. There's two kinds of yosakoi: power and elegance. My team is the power-type which is intense and full of shouting and Hanayamata is without a doubt the elegance type which is lovely and often feminine so it's only natural I'm not familiar with this style, yet there are some basics every yosakoi dance style follows and from what I've seen in Hanayamata until now it didn't even follow those basics.

The animation itself is fairly well done. Some questionmarks at the character design and the ridiculous amount of sakura petals but overall it's good. There's been worse. The music isn't half bad either. Nothing very memorable but nice enough to listen to. And still I'm dropping this right now. I know the discussion boards are generally for people who want to agree on loving a series, however people who don't like it should be able to vent their frustrations as well and I've seen some disagree on Hanayamata already so please bear with me.

Naruko is a very contradicting girl. She starts out as indeed a normal 14 year old girl who's kinda cute (her hair style is adorable) and who really wants to account to something in life, she wants to have a passion or be inspiring to people, even dazzling. That's why she adores fairytales, because they're full of characters she wants to be like. However when she got a chance at trying something new, something she found to be very pretty and inspiring, she literally dropped the girl that tried to pull her into that new world. I mean I get why Naru would be nervous but if you randomly stop dancing and your partner falls to the ground they would be hurt. Well, Hana seemed to survived jumping from a freaking cliff and that's anime for you but still.

Then when Hana sees her the next day in class Naru immediately regrets even meeting her because now she's the center of attention and it doesn't stop at just that one time. Yes, that would be nerve-wrecking and yes if you're shy and not sure of yourself someone rudely interupting your school life and publicly harassing you (continually bothering someone is harassing) that should be enough to decide you don't want anything to do with that person. Even though blaming Hana for being passionate about her passion is kind of eh. So why did Naru go up that rooftop anyway? To return the Naruko (that's what the red clap-thingy is called) yes, but the second Hana this time politely asks Naru if she might be interesting in joining her all 14 year old timid Japanese school girl angst breaks loose. No! She can't be like Hana and do something like dancing! It's not possible for her to do anything with her life because she is empty! She doesn't have the courage, she isn't like those characters in her books! She can't be inspiring or do anything inspiring with her life!

And you know that really bothered me. Self-esteem or no self-esteem there's a limit to how contradicting you can be until you're just plain annoying. I mean Naru looked up to her friend Yaya who's amazing at everything her whole life and wished she could be a bit like her but when someone offers to do something amazing she rudely (yes rudely) refused because how could she possibly do anything with her life. I think that's actually just the writer making sure Naru holds up to the Japanese standard for girls, believing every girl should be timid, cute, shy and most of all feminine in all her actions, yet it still doesn't excuse being THAT unsure of yourself. No-one thinks like that unless they're very emotionally unstable and to me Naru didn't come across like that. Not that there's anything wrong with being a little unstable, I mean we're all a little unstable in the end, but this was over the top. That's like Kurosaki Ichigo wanting to protect people and when Rukia offered him her power saying ''Nah, I can't do shit anyway why bother''. See? I realize they're very different characters but the concept is the same, and that concept is crap imo.

So very long story short, Naruko is very poorly written and that's why I won't watch Hanayamata.
Jul 8, 2014 5:24 AM

Jan 2008
Naru is the type of person/character I can't stand. Almost every scene with her left me rolling my eyes and throwing my hands up. Girl, loosen up or somethin', you're so annoying and you are the main character, do I get to deal with your "problems" every episode? Naru PLZ

I'm in the Weird Eyes Gosh Team, those... rectangulars look very eh.

"Petite form, fair hair, is that what they call a fairy?"
Nope, Naru, that's what they call a loli.

I'm wary of Hanayamata for now, because it lacks a certain charm to it and has some annoying or just makes me indifferent about it. But I'm looking forward to dancing and other characters. And maybe Naru will loosen up, gosh, how I hope it's the case.
Jul 8, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
A new yuri to look forward to. I like girl bands so that count too.
Jul 8, 2014 6:39 AM

Nov 2012
Although I usually hate these overly bright graphics with blinding colors, they actually looked alright here. The OST looks beautiful, the anime also portrays a beautiful part of Japanese culture, this anime has everything to be a success for me.

My only problem was... why America of all places?
Jul 8, 2014 6:39 AM

Nov 2009
I actually like Naru character. She's the type of character I want to cheer for. I can understand why some people will find her annoying but Naru needs some time to develop her character and I think that's one goal of this show.

Like Hana said, she's still has a lot of space to fill in something. She may be unlikeable for now but it doesn't mean she has to stay that way forever.
Marina2Jul 8, 2014 6:47 AM
Jul 8, 2014 6:40 AM

Feb 2014
So cute girls doing cute things with some yuri. Okay, I'm in. Madhouse at its finest.
Jul 8, 2014 7:04 AM

Mar 2008
I know I'm just enjoying this because madhouses animation is AMAZING.
Jul 8, 2014 7:05 AM

May 2010
This anime is beautiful! The OP is great, I love how it begins and esp. the music around dance part, I love how the girls dance there. I guess, I will be listening and watching the OP multiple times every week, it is awesome. I like the character designs as well, very original.

That insert song was 'wow' quality. Dem colors, such beauty! This gives me Kiniro Mosaic feels, except with a dancing plot. Lol what kind of Surname Fountainstand is? haha

"Zooglu"

Lovable ED!

And summer season keeps ruining my life, another great anime. What can I say? 9/10. I think it is gonna be like Non Non Biyori, start slow then grow into something unforgettable.
TragicRomanceJul 8, 2014 7:52 AM
Jul 8, 2014 7:20 AM

Jun 2014
The eye shape.. and the exaggerated double eyelid make the eyes look a bit strange but not bad. Cute episode.

Yuka Ootsubo doing a mature character voice!?

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jul 8, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2008
Criska said:

I was expecting some sort of magical girl anime, I got cute 14 years old chicks doing cute things with heavy yuri subtexts may I add. Def not what I'm here for.

Kinda your fault for not reading the description or looking at the picture...
Jul 8, 2014 7:49 AM

Mar 2012
Plate said:
Criska said:

Kinda your fault for not reading the description or looking at the picture...

I actually skimmed through a summary and picked up on "magical fairy", the thing is, the "fairy" was that one blonde girl. Kinda easy to be misled here.

Jul 8, 2014 8:03 AM

Nov 2010
Marina2 said:
I actually like Naru character. She's the type of character I want to cheer for. I can understand why some people will find her annoying but Naru needs some time to develop her character and I think that's one goal of this show.

This. Plus I can kinda relate to having doubts about myself and what I want to be doing in life.

Cute and cheery with some heartwarming vibes here and there. Music was great, too. Will definitely be keeping up with this.

PS Hana reminds me of Karen from Kiniro Mosaic for a lot of different reasons, haha.
Jul 8, 2014 8:24 AM

Oct 2012
Cute girls doing cute things... except the fact that they ain't really that cute, gonna try 2-3 more eps i guess
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2014 9:36 AM

Sep 2013
Wow this was way much better than i have expected, Beautiful animation, layouts, really great looking!!! and great characters!

Jul 8, 2014 10:57 AM

Mar 2014
Absolutely lovely show however when I saw Hana was able to jump around I thought this has something to do with supernatural stuff because "NO HUMAN CAN ACTUALLY DO THAT !!"
Jul 8, 2014 11:06 AM

Dec 2013
Read the first four chapters of this manga.... aaaaand that was the entire episode 1. :P

Hana should be some sort of Kitsune incarnate with the way that she defies the laws of physics. How the hell did she climb up to that fourth floor window from the frickin OUTSIDE anyway?!?!

That said I like the theme that this show brings about, the unwillingness to venture outside the status quo and to stay within one's safety bubble at all times, yet wishing for some sort of magical push to take one out on the adventure of change. I'm pretty sure that most people can relate. To add the theme of the Yasakoi was excellent. I actually went and Googled that stuff up after reading the manga. I can't wait to see them actually dance it!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 8, 2014 11:45 AM

Nov 2007
Animation was amazing... not so sure I can stand such high pitched voices from everyone for long though. I can't stand the voices....
Jul 8, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
Whoa.. unexpectedly good!!

This anime is so.. mellow and relaxing. The art is just beautiful! Those sakura petals, the fireworks, the background art.. all of them are gorgeous (the fireworks is even better than the one in Glasslip).

The characters actually behaved like normal girls, no forced moe, no forced jokes.. everything so natural (other than Hana jumping from gate to gate lol) and the rare occasion of comedy was well-placed too. This has the potential to be my 2nd favorite after Barakamon now. Maybe I just like these type of shows.

PS: Amazingly "moe" is the last thing that came to my mind when I watched this.
MoeGodJul 8, 2014 11:54 AM
Jul 8, 2014 1:21 PM

Jan 2008
About the yuri thing...It's a Manga Time Kirara work. There won't be romance aside from subtext, but probably there won't be hetero romance or talk about hetero romance either. So it's yuri if you want.

And well, the author did something for Yuri Hime one time, so...

What I don't undestand is why people are saying that Naru is poorly written. She's actually a pretty realistic character, and I can see that better than I should.

It's about wanting to change, wanting something to happen, but not having courage to pursue it. And even if you start something, the more you think about that, or the more it gets close to you, more fear you have from it. It's about having fear of ansiety. And when you think about you doing that one thing that can change you, you're thinking that you're being ridiculous. Like everyone is looking at you and thinking: "Stop that. That's not for you. You're making a fool from yourself."

Yeah, it can be annoying. But it's realistic enough.

Hana is the idealistic one. There isn't people like her in the world, that can do everything without nothing stoping her. If there is someone like it, it's pretty rare. She's not a bad character because of that though, and the contrast between her and Naru is pretty interesting.

I think some people are too used with characters being idealistic, like most of them are in anime. And I don't see a problem in that....but saying that Naru is poorly written or unrealistic doesn't make sense.
Jul 8, 2014 1:21 PM

May 2014
Hiina said:
To return the Naruko (that's what the red clap-thingy is called) yes, but the second Hana this time politely asks Naru if she might be interesting in joining her all 14 year old timid Japanese school girl angst breaks loose.
English please, I want to understand what you meant, mostly the "angst breaks loose".

Hiina said:
No! She can't be like Hana and do something like dancing! It's not possible for her to do anything with her life because she is empty! She doesn't have the courage, she isn't like those characters in her books! She can't be inspiring or do anything inspiring with her life!
This is where I believe you're wrong, she doesn't have to be like Hana, she'll mimic her at the start, sure, but once the basics are set she'll diverge and have a natural development, effort can also make someone beautiful in many ways. Being empty, like it is mentioned is that you can absorb, store a lot of things, both good and bad. I do consider myself "empty" in a way, but when an actual person comes and I find them inspiring, I'm more motivated to do what I can and should, it fulfills a certain need of satisfaction through effort. Naru is in a way the same, so I found her relatable.

Hiina said:
And you know that really bothered me. Self-esteem or no self-esteem there's a limit to how contradicting you can be until you're just plain annoying.
Naru is an archetype that is made for introvert watchers to attach easily to her, since her outlooks can be quite relatable to people who often reminisce about their life and the world. Hence why she was so normal. She clicked with me as well.

Hiina said:
I mean Naru looked up to her friend Yaya who's amazing at everything her whole life and wished she could be a bit like her but when someone offers to do something amazing she rudely (yes rudely) refused because how could she possibly do anything with her life. I think that's actually just the writer making sure Naru holds up to the Japanese standard for girls, believing every girl should be timid, cute, shy and most of all feminine in all her actions, yet it still doesn't excuse being THAT unsure of yourself.
Legitimate criticism, she doesn't feel as human, just homes in the extreme end of the stereotype.

Hiina said:
No-one thinks like that unless they're very emotionally unstable and to me Naru didn't come across like that. Not that there's anything wrong with being a little unstable, I mean we're all a little unstable in the end, but this was over the top.
Damn, this is an obvious opportunity to make a true coming of age story, overcoming your emotional angst and insecurity, but that was just solved so we can get to the cute dancing. And yes we can all be unstable, otherwise we wouldn't be flawed beings.
Jul 8, 2014 3:02 PM

Mar 2012
OMG those twin fangs!!!

yosakoi sounds boring though
Jul 8, 2014 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
First episode was pretty entertaining. I quite like the mix of fairy tale with slice of life, it tends to work well.

Naru is a sympathetic character, and I relate to her indecision and lack of direction. I still have indecision and lack of direction and I'm nearing old age!

Some don't like the eyes but I find them unique and think they're fine.
Jul 8, 2014 7:42 PM

Feb 2013
Cute.

Why do I get the feeling there will only be one or two dances the whole season?...
Jul 8, 2014 9:09 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Thread Cleaned
Do keep in mind that saying very little doesn't contribute to any discussion.

HELLS YEAH
AN ANIME FOCUSED ON DANCINGGG
CUTE GIRLS
TRADITIONAL JAPANESE CLOTHING

#dreamanime

This is so cute! Love the OP, the chorus reminds me of an old chinese song but I can't think of the name.
The characters all look interesting, wondeirng if Miss Perfect will leave her band to join the dance team though.

Animation was great, loved the colors used, the eye lid thing took a bit of getting used to, but it is a really great start!

BurntJelly said:
Cute.

Why do I get the feeling there will only be one or two dances the whole season?...

I am scared of such few performances... pls be a lot
Jul 8, 2014 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Im very interested to see where this goes, Looking forward to the yosakoi dance.
Jul 8, 2014 11:32 PM

Dec 2010
Well that was a pretty typical first episode for a series like this, but I still really liked it! The music is beautiful, the dancing is gorgeous, and the characters are cute. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here, but I'm definitely up for more!
Jul 8, 2014 11:32 PM

Oct 2012
Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi Yosakoi
xD

This is so cute xD
And the ost... Suprsingly good enough for me

Next ep, I smell some Yuri xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 9, 2014 4:35 AM

May 2009
Hmm I might actually give this anime a try. The things I didn't like were the yuri-like references.. I don't háte yuri, it's just that I don't like watching it. The second thing is the high-pitched voice. I really don't like characters with high-pitched voices, but I guess that can't be helped.

However the theme is really nice and this might be a good change of animes. I always watch romance-ish animes when it comes to Slice of Life.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 9, 2014 5:11 AM

Dec 2008
I thought it was a pretty good episode. I really like the main girl!
I cried twice during this episode (T_T)
Jul 9, 2014 6:02 AM

Apr 2011
This looks good. Gorgeous animations and that magical feel to it.

Naru is a timid, but cute girl. Her personality is slightly annoying. Is indecisive and weak-willed. Hoping she'll improve or she'll become the most annoying character in the series and ruin it.

Seeing this has a big budget showing a fluid dance in the op, hoping to see it in the girls' performance in future episodes. I'd love to see them dance in high quality animation. Been watching a lot of animes using 3d in their dances, and it would great to see dancing in pure awesome 2d.

I'm looking forward in the other girls joining in, Naru overcoming her inferiority, the girls' interaction, having fun, and of course the Yosakoi dance. Hoping this will be the anime that will make me enjoy, and smile.
MagitoJul 9, 2014 6:20 AM
Jul 9, 2014 6:19 AM

Aug 2010
This was an excellent first episode, though considering it's 2014 and it has yuri-subtext I'm sure Japan will f*ck it up soon anyway, so I'll just enjoy the present moment for a little bit more.

So far the cast is nice and likable, though Hana's voice is a little too much. The visuals were pretty and captivating. Definitely looking forward to more! 5/5.
Jul 9, 2014 7:24 AM

May 2012
I'm still not sure what yosakoi is, but wow, I'm really liking this show so far. I think I just found my favourite anime of the season.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Oct 2012
Hiina said:
I danced yosakoi myself for a year

lightXTC said:
I'm still not sure what yosakoi is

Khalan3 said:
yosakoi sounds boring though

To see some yosakoi dancing, search on YouTube for よさこい

Just cut and paste those four Japanese characters into the YouTube search box and
then search.

Besides that, you can search on Google Images for よさこい

It's pretty exciting to see, in fact. There is quite a wide variety of dances that they
call "yosakoi". You should watch at least a dozen YouTube videos before you can
get the general idea of what it is.

Also, here is an excellent Wikipedia article that explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosakoi
Jul 9, 2014 2:11 PM

Oct 2007
T3hSource said:
Criska said:
... what's with these weird eyelids ? Is it supposed to be make-up or si the chara designer just helpless ?
Madhouse can't do moe, I don't know why they did this.

It feels really try hard moe like a Kyoani series.
Jul 9, 2014 4:18 PM
Nov 2007
Hana N. Fountainstand

Naru Sekiya

Yaya Sasame

Machi Tokiwa

Tami Nishimikado

Hanayamata
Jul 9, 2014 8:20 PM

May 2013
-temaris- said:
And I actually thought Hana was some sort of a supernatural being for being able to do those jumps.

No doubt she is a yuri vampire, relentlessly pursuing her victims to convert them,once she selects her target there is no defense >_<
Jul 9, 2014 9:21 PM

Oct 2012
-temaris- said:
And I actually thought Hana was some sort of a supernatural being for
being able to do those jumps.

mangamuscle said:
No doubt she is a yuri vampire, relentlessly pursuing her victims to convert
them,once she selects her target there is no defense >_<

Well, according to the Japanese Wikipedia article . . .
Jul 10, 2014 2:30 AM

Jun 2014
really cute anime. about girlsd doing some dance called "yosakoi"

the scene when Naru and Hana met for the first time is really beautiful.
but i wonder who lit the fireworks? were festival was held there?

the transfer student from other country idea is kinda same like "Kiniro Mosaic" though
but Yosakoi dance thing made me interested in this anime, so i will continue this :)

Madhouse made this huh? no wonder the pink color and pink feeling(?) kinda looks like in No Game No Life

4/5
♪ Do re mi fa pupupu, waa~~ ♪
Jul 10, 2014 4:10 AM

Nov 2009
Criska said:

There is nothing wrong with the eyes design.

They are drawn in the different style from what we usually see. That's all. You just have to get used to it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something.....

Ghefira - Sep 5, 2023

0 by Ghefira »»
Sep 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

omega_d94 - Jul 21, 2014

84 by mazuchi »»
Jun 5, 2022 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2014

82 by Atavistic »»
Jan 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

155 by removed-user »»
Jan 21, 2022 5:26 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

76 by Gendolfas »»
Jan 21, 2022 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.