Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2014 11:24 PM

Nov 2007
Kaji Yuki almost nailed it! I think those who were skeptical about him doing the role are okay with it after seeing this episode!

Cannot wait to see Murao and her fabulous moment with

And for the record, let's not call him Tanaka anymore. It makes me confused. Let's just call him Kou or Mabuchi from now on 'kay minna? ^_^

Damn it! Just 12 episodes won't even do this one a justice. There are so many things to happen to one of the best shoujo manga I have read! :/

Stop complaining ore~ just be happy that we get to see an animated version; Not to mention AkaYona on its way to be animated as well. Now if only anyone did something for my Shiharu. Well now I am being too greedy, ain't I?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 7, 2014 11:39 PM

May 2012
It was pretty nice, I guess. The background looks beautiful, and I'm liking that ending song. The only complaint I have is Futaba's voice. When she speaks loudly, her voice sounds a bit unpleasant to me. Too high-pitched it became annoying. No problem with Kou's voice. He sounds great.
Jul 7, 2014 11:58 PM
Apr 2014
Yeah Futaba sounds really pitchy when she speaks really loudly and exclaims...
and Kaji Yuki is the seiyuu for so many people lolol as Kou he sounds pretty emotionless so far but we'll see how it goes...
Jul 8, 2014 12:15 AM

Jul 2012
I don't get why they can't follow the manga's pacing. I didn't find their relationship that developed in the manga, but now it just looks like cliche shoujo bullshit. According to the anime, she only liked him because he looked like a girl.

Just bring in Kominato and Murao already.
Jul 8, 2014 12:24 AM

Aug 2013
The manga gives me so many feels. seeing it all beautifully animated almost made me cry Dx there's really not much i'd change about the manga so i hope the anime doesn't change much, either. anyway, i loved the first episode and can't wait for more <3
Jul 8, 2014 12:54 AM
Mar 2014
I love it! I think it's pretty good, better than what I imagined. I hope they wont skip the game they played as kids, the police game or something. I love that scene
Jul 8, 2014 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
This was surprisingly quite good.
I look forward to next episode.
Also,the animation is nice as well.
Jul 8, 2014 1:30 AM

Mar 2013
I didn't read manga but I loved first episode. The art and OST were great.
Jul 8, 2014 1:32 AM

Jan 2011
Looks like this will have some feels over the course of the season--good first episode.

"Even now, Tanaka-kun has a place in the corner of my heart." That sums up lost loves and missed opportunities pretty well.
rodacJul 8, 2014 1:38 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 8, 2014 1:34 AM
Mar 2010
wzrd said:
I don't get why they can't follow the manga's pacing. I didn't find their relationship that developed in the manga, but now it just looks like cliche shoujo bullshit. According to the anime, she only liked him because he looked like a girl.

Me too. I guess I'm in the minority but considering this is Production I.G and considering the staff, I expected it to be better.

Its been a while since I read the manga...

And back then when I did read the manga that was when I'd swallow ANYTHING that was shoujo. I just re-read the first chapter. Now I know why I didn't like the anime. They crammed two big chapters in one episode. A lot of dialogue was left out. Especially on Futaba's part. They completely cut out the Cops and Robbers scene. Basically, they combined chapter 0 and chapter 1. To an anime only viewer it may seem fine, but to a manga reader like me, it doesn't seem that way. Then again, I should be grateful that it was made into an anime in the first place. But now I'm scared. Are the rest of the episodes going to be rushed as well, skipping on content?
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 8, 2014 1:37 AM

Jun 2013
I FINALLY GET TO SEE IT AS AN ANIME I'M SO SO HAPPY
Jul 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Jun 2013
phoenixalia said:
wzrd said:

Me too. I guess I'm in the minority but considering this is Production I.G and considering the staff, I expected it to be better.

And back then when I did read the manga that was when I'd swallow ANYTHING that was shoujo. I just re-read the first chapter. Now I know why I didn't like the anime. They crammed two big chapters in one episode. A lot of dialogue was left out. Especially on Futaba's part. They completely cut out the Cops and Robbers scene. Basically, they combined chapter 0 and chapter 1. To an anime only viewer it may seem fine, but to a manga reader like me, it doesn't seem that way. Then again, I should be grateful that it was made into an anime in the first place. But now I'm scared. Are the rest of the episodes going to be rushed as well, skipping on content?
That thought scares me as well, but all I'm thinking right now is that it's finally an anime and I know that I should be very happy.

I hope it gets a season 2 though, because I doubt that they could cram it all in 12 episodes.
Jul 8, 2014 1:57 AM

May 2013
Beautiful animation. Not that cliche. I have a high expectation for this one since I loved the manga.

Fangirling for Yuki Kaji. Ahaha.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 8, 2014 2:01 AM
Feb 2009
mayukachan said:
BGMaxie said:
Anyway it seems this is darker than your typical shoujo eh?

I dare you to read Mars. lol

For some reason, I feel like this is a rape manga.
Jul 8, 2014 2:09 AM

Mar 2012
Dang, for some reason, I wasn’t expecting the subs to come out so quickly, so I didn’t see bother to check until now.

It was a little disheartening to see them rush through the intro/back-story so quickly. I found the setup incredibly charming right off the bat in the manga, so it made me a little sad to see it glossed over. But I digress…

I think they handled Futaba’s helpless feelings of not being able to return to the past really well. And it’s just ridiculous how much I’m loving Yuki Kaji as Kou. Can’t say I feel the same way about the voice acting for Futaba, but oh well. The first episode was mostly fine, and my expectations for this series haven’t been killed yet, so I’m looking forward to see how they develop the characters and emotional themes as we progress further into the meat of the story.
nauticalblueJul 8, 2014 2:17 AM
Jul 8, 2014 2:12 AM

Apr 2009
Too bad they left out the best scene.
Jul 8, 2014 2:16 AM

May 2012
SO FUCKING CLICHE was my expression at start, good thing I watched it till the end its actually interesting..

Jul 8, 2014 2:36 AM

Sep 2008
When emotion has subsided now I can write about this episode...

I thought Prologue: Unwritten wil be showed in first episode... ;(
Eh... now people complain that anime skip some moments,
just because it wasn't showed in first episode,
doesn't mean this don't show up in next one, right?
Fans noticed that story isn't places like in manga.
Also looks like fans haven't see PV 3 xD

I love animation and colors!
Characters and colors are like in manga :)
This is to be expected from IG!

I really love Kaji-kun voice as Kou,
he already take my heart as Kou in drama cd,
but now with animation!
Great choice!
Now I can't imagine somebody else as Kou!
But I still it hard to me to like Futaba&Youichi's voices... -.-
But maybe I will get used to their voices.

Because of anime I noticed lot of things that I haven't noticed when I readed manga!
I don't know is because I know what will happen next,
or because some scenes in anime show more details than in manga :)
Episode was perfect!
I love it as much I love that chapter!

Really like how in Producer card(?) and ED theme use Sakisaka-san ornamentation's from manga :)

Really like ending theme song and animation!
OP song I already heard and I love it!
Can't wait to see animation for OP!
OST and inserted song are also nice~

I think that's all! xD
Can't wait to see next episode! :)
Jul 8, 2014 2:43 AM

Feb 2012
phoenixalia said:

They completely cut out the Cops and Robbers scene. Basically, they combined chapter 0 and chapter 1. To an anime only viewer it may seem fine, but to a manga reader like me, it doesn't seem that way. Then again, I should be grateful that it was made into an anime in the first place. But now I'm scared. Are the rest of the episodes going to be rushed as well, skipping on content?

They basically left out the best flash back scene, COPS & ROBBERS!! I was waiting for it, but nooooo!! I like the feel to the anime though. Sucks that it MIGHT be rushed, basing this on the first episode. UGH!

I like Kou but I'll be shipping for Touma. Kou's too emo for me.

I wonder how they'll end this since the manga is still ongoing.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 8, 2014 2:45 AM

Sep 2010
It's finally here! I loved everything from the beautiful watercolor scenes to the OST to the animation. I'm getting such a good Kimi ni Todoke vibe and that can only be a good thing. The scene where there wasn't any music playing was lovely and when the song kicked in, aw, I got a little teary eyed. Voice acting imo is great, Kaji Yuuki is an amazing Kou and Futaba's alright.

Sad to see they cut some things out, like the Cops and Robber scene (but luckily we'll see that later) and Futaba's obsession over Kou's (Tanaka/Mabuchi) nape but so far it's going good. I'm upset over how it looks Futaba liked Kou only for his looks so they better explain that that isn't it fast.

I have a vague idea where they're going end this season considering the manga isn't finished yet but I'm just thinking ahead. 5/5

Ami-chwan said:
mayukachan said:

I dare you to read Mars. lol
For some reason, I feel like this is a rape manga.
Mars was an incredibly good manga, really.
Jul 8, 2014 2:46 AM

Dec 2011
The art is nice and it reminds of the old days.

Futaba's really cute :3

Awww, he changed schools T.T

Hey there Kou, long time no see after 3 years!

So he has a different family now huh.

See, see, see Kou? You different from the rest of the boy to Futaba!

Wow, he just told her that he loved her :O

What a sad thing to say Kou... but now you can start over and build a new relationship!

Lol... wtf... now even friends believed that she paid? Worthless friends are really worthless...

I really liked this first episode and can't wait to see how things develop.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 8, 2014 3:04 AM
Dec 2013
The First episode was very good. I thought I wouldn't love it as much I love the manga but It was very emotional.

I think they will show the cops and robbers scene in the next episode as a flash back.

SPOILER------
When Kou hugs Futaba when she cries and Futaba thinks of the nostalgic scent
manganimelover1Jul 8, 2014 3:09 AM
Jul 8, 2014 3:06 AM

Apr 2014
One of the best well-balanced shoujos I have ever watched. I sure will continue watching this.
Jul 8, 2014 3:09 AM
Feb 2009
was alright I guess
Jul 8, 2014 3:09 AM

Mar 2012
AFF... such a great anime and unfortunately is only going to have 12 episodes, what a waste. I waited for this story to be adapted for 1 year and finally they did it!
Jul 8, 2014 3:33 AM

Jan 2014
that's the only regrettable thing about them, they just can't go back from once they were before...that hit me hard...well at least maybe they can bring that back and start over again...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Jul 8, 2014 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
Uwaahh.. this is VERY shoujo. Like.. really, really shoujo.

I have only one question, when's the NTR coming?
Jul 8, 2014 4:21 AM

Apr 2014
I love this manga and I'm soooo happy to see it adapted! The first episode followed the manga so faithfully and I'm really really excited for the rest of the season. The art style was gorgeous, especially the first section with the watercolour look to it. The music was also gorgeous - I really can't wait for the rest of the characters to start being introduced too!

Shows a lot of promise, I hope the rest of the season is as good!
Jul 8, 2014 4:24 AM

Jun 2012
Best show this season.
Jul 8, 2014 4:35 AM

Feb 2010
even though im not a shojo fan i really really love this!
Jul 8, 2014 4:38 AM

Aug 2010
Feels feels feels.

For some people (like me) also somewhat relatable and that makes more feels.
I've had my eyes tearing up every now and then, wow.

Definitely going to watch more of this.
Jul 8, 2014 4:48 AM

Jul 2008
I didn't read manga, but first episode was nice and somehow really charming. Anyway, could anyone tell me the title of the song that played in the middle of the episode?
::..This is the way I am...::
Jul 8, 2014 4:53 AM

Apr 2014
Loved it! It was perfect, IMO. And I am in love with whoever is voicing Kou.
Jul 8, 2014 5:03 AM

Sep 2008
ShadowAngel323 said:
Anyway, could anyone tell me the title of the song that played in the middle of the episode?

"I will" by Chelsy
Jul 8, 2014 5:05 AM

May 2012
04:55 Naitoh's fault

07:12 buranddo nyuu Futaba tanjou de aru

10:50 his mom probably remarried

Bingo.

Nice ED.
7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 8, 2014 5:05 AM

Feb 2014
I guess it was alright and probably wil watch it, but I don't get guys who are saying that this is top notch animation just because they used watercolors for background. マジで??

It was average at best if not below... Yet, series with outstanding animation or at least two times better than this are getting bashed in their respective threads... yeah I'm alluding to Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul...
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 8, 2014 5:14 AM
Jan 2012
After watching Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul I needed something to clean my mouth of all that edgy garbage. This might be some generic fun, or it could be something good, but for now its a good start.
Jul 8, 2014 5:15 AM

May 2013
Nice for the first episode. Great at explaining how they met and how they separated.
Kou acting cold and cruel made it even better for me. Futaba's character and personality is not at all unique. Although the animation was quite good. Matching the moments with specific sceneries.
This had a pretty good start.
Jul 8, 2014 5:22 AM

May 2010
I will say it again, this season is dream come true. Nearly every anime is awesome, same goes for Ao Haru Ride. It is as good as its manga. I love the animation, the atmosphere and where they are going with it.

Futaba's voice is great, suits her. I didn't expect Kaji to voice Kou so well.

I loved the insert song, it made the scene even more emotional than it already was. I felt the same thing all over again, Futaba really needs to change her friends. Mabuchi x Kou for the OTP. I am just waiting for our group to come together and for Futaba to ditch her old friends.

The ED is relaxing, I like it quite it a bit.

No complaints at all, let the feels ride begin!

9/10

TragicRomanceJul 8, 2014 5:34 AM
Jul 8, 2014 5:28 AM

Jun 2011
Loved it! Thought Futaba would be a bit more soft-spoken in her middle school days though. And I'm pretty sad about the game of cops and robbers being cut out. For me, it was one of the best moments. 4/5 for now.
Jul 8, 2014 5:37 AM

May 2010
MoeGod said:

Why people bring NTR in every romance anime which is a little deep? It sickens me. For NTR, two people have to be in relationship and a 3rd party has to steal one of them such that the other one can't do anything about it. Kou and Futaba aren't in any relationship as we have seen, hence no NTR.
Jul 8, 2014 5:43 AM

Jul 2013
EEE, I'm so excited! Such a beautiful first episode! It's my first time seeing one of my fave manga come to the screen, and it's following it so far!
TragicRomance said:
MoeGod said:

Why people bring NTR in every romance anime which is a little deep? It sickens me. For NTR, two people have to be in relationship and a 3rd party has to steal one of them such that the other one can't do anything about it. Kou and Futaba aren't in any relationship as we have seen, hence no NTR.

Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jul 8, 2014 5:45 AM

Aug 2013
phoenixalia said:
wzrd said:

the cops and robbers scene was something they should have put in the anime. it would have further helped viewers understand Futaba's attraction to Kou. But, as you said, to people who only watch anime, they probably won't care. For manga readers, i assume they would have read it before watching, so i'm guessing those are the only people who were slightly disappointed. the anime is surprisingly short, i thought it'd be double the episodes..
Jul 8, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2014
This will easily fill in the gap from last season's 'One Week Friends'. Great episode btw.
Jul 8, 2014 6:51 AM

Jul 2013
Yes! I finally watched it!

The animation is very beautiful and the colors are splendid Production I.G. did a very good art for emphasizing the feelings in the manga. I very good start even though they cut the cops and robbers scene but yet it's okay. I feel more feels by watching it animated even though its only episode 1. Kou and Futaba's voice are indeed appropriate. the ending song is great!. I look forward watching it every week. :)

"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Jul 8, 2014 6:55 AM

Dec 2013
Oh my God, this season will be a dream for the fangirls ~~
I've been following the manga for quite some time, and I was really looking forward for it to be animated ◕‿◕ It's a shame that it will only have 12 episodes though :p
#nanodayolo
Jul 8, 2014 7:01 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked the first episode. Wasn't too confident about the seiyuus, but both leads did a good job in my opinion. Looking forward to Shuuko's appereance (probably either 3rd or 4th episode)

I really hope they don't leave it at the point the manga is currently telling, though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2014 7:05 AM
Jan 2010
they didn't show the hide-and-seek flashbacks? :-(
edit: sorry, "cops and robbers"!
omaewaJul 8, 2014 7:08 AM
Jul 8, 2014 7:08 AM

May 2012
Meh. Boring

I only liked the part when he called that woman old hag !!
Jul 8, 2014 7:16 AM

Jun 2013
I fell in love the second I saw the character design and attractive animation. Also, the seiyuu fit each character which made it really easy to watch. I cannot wait for the next episode!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

176 by cooldogmom »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.