Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2014 3:35 PM

Feb 2012
ex_necross said:
The biggest fuck up this anime could possibly do is have a happy ending.

Or later on trying to justify the MCs actions with some corruption in the government or some forced bullshit moral lesson.

Things are looking great so far, but this type of show has a big chance of fucking up royally.

We are following antagonists, and it better stay that way.

agreed, humanize them, but no free passes. Consequence for every action, good or bad.
Jul 10, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2014
skudoops said:
MajorZero said:
Ok, I'm in minority here, but I think that it was pretty generic and overall uninspired episode. Like watching stupid procedural show with anime cliches here and there.

Galimx is that you?? O.O

Considering Galimx praised it earlier I doubt he would have another account and criticize one episode.
Jul 10, 2014 3:37 PM

Dec 2012
I was not expecting the first episode to be anything like this from how I first read the synopsis. Decent first episode. The Yoko Kanno along with the usual top-notch Aimer ending is great. I am excited for what this series has planned for everyone.
Jul 10, 2014 3:40 PM
Apr 2013
Sapewloth said:
hopscotchskies said:

Peco and Smile.

Spring?

Woops, I was thinking year. Most enjoyable duo of the season isn't exactly a competition right now.
Jul 10, 2014 3:41 PM

Nov 2009
jimjameswhatever said:
I can see where you get that impression: it's got the serious megane guy, the polar opposite genki guy, the helpless girl, human experimentation, bullying (which is more of a Japanese stereotype rather than an amine cliche), etc.

But the story doesn't rely too heavily on these cliche's, at least so far. I don't think the show is going for too much here, it's very short after all, they can only cover a few themes. I don't object to simplicity nor redundancy. We all know ideas get recycled purposely or inadvertently, it's how you execute it. I disagree on your sentiment that it's generic though. The vibe of the show has been done, definitely, but not to the point of it being generic.

The main problem I have right now with this episode (only episode, because series itself can be improved later) is the fact that with few changes I can easily imagine it to be part of anything from Tom Clancy's book to episode of 24. You're absolutely correct, everything depends on execution, it just happened that I didn't like how this episode was handled by Watanabe and his team of writers. Nothing against animation, it was good for the most part, I didn't like the music though (cues from this episode were a bit simplistic for my taste and I haven't had a chance to listen full OST yet).

Jul 10, 2014 3:56 PM
Oct 2010
pLaguE_ said:
skudoops said:

Galimx is that you?? O.O

Considering Galimx praised it earlier I doubt he would have another account and criticize one episode.

Word for word that is something he'd definitely say lmao.
Jul 10, 2014 3:56 PM

Feb 2012
MajorZero said:
jimjameswhatever said:
I can see where you get that impression: it's got the serious megane guy, the polar opposite genki guy, the helpless girl, human experimentation, bullying (which is more of a Japanese stereotype rather than an amine cliche), etc.

But the story doesn't rely too heavily on these cliche's, at least so far. I don't think the show is going for too much here, it's very short after all, they can only cover a few themes. I don't object to simplicity nor redundancy. We all know ideas get recycled purposely or inadvertently, it's how you execute it. I disagree on your sentiment that it's generic though. The vibe of the show has been done, definitely, but not to the point of it being generic.

The main problem I have right now with this episode (only episode, because series itself can be improved later) is the fact that with few changes I can easily imagine it to be part of anything from Tom Clancy's book to episode of 24. You're absolutely correct, everything depends on execution, it just happened that I didn't like how this episode was handled by Watanabe and his team of writers. Nothing against animation, it was good for the most part, I didn't like the music though (cues from this episode were a bit simplistic for my taste and I haven't had a chance to listen full OST yet).

I'm listening to the OST now. It's mostly eerie and empty feeling tracks, which is thematically fitting, in my opinion.

I never read a tom clancy book or watched 24, but I can imagine what they're like. So are you saying that the cliche aspects of the show are the action bits? Because I think the show is, at least I'm hoping it will be, focusing on the psyche of the characters rather than the specifics of the terrorist actions. magane guy's recurring dream was only a hint at what their inner troubles may be, but I'm pretty sure it's main theme of the story.
Jul 10, 2014 4:00 PM

Mar 2014
skudoops said:
pLaguE_ said:

Word for word that is something he'd definitely say lmao.

I'm not arguing but he did praise it earlier xD
Jul 10, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
I enjoyed this episode very much. A little confusing at first but it made sense for me at the end. I also enjoyed the animation and the music.
Jul 10, 2014 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
Last spring i had Ping Pong as my AOTS, and now it looks like Zankyou no Terror will be the next.
Jul 10, 2014 4:15 PM

Dec 2013
Awesome.
Jul 10, 2014 4:17 PM
Nov 2013
That was fucking epic! This was by far the best first episode of the summer season. The music was excellent (that's Yokko Kanno for you!) and the characters were interesting as well. I'm really looking forward to the next episode
Jul 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Nov 2013
The art and music are not to my taste at all, but the plot is okay. I'd like to see where it goes with the characters.
Jul 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
Again a fantastic Noitamina Anime show :D
Jul 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Jul 2011
The OST during the scene when they were escaping the girl really minds me of the bank robbery scene in The Dark Knight, very similar.
Jul 10, 2014 4:27 PM

Mar 2013
That was a great ep!!
I'm also liking the duo so far and interested in why they name each other - Nine and Twelve.
Expecting a lot from this! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
Jul 10, 2014 4:30 PM
Aug 2012
i think the numbers are from them being some sort of test subjects or prisoners the first mixed with the last more likely

prtty awesome so far i want to see how a show where the main characters do bad things tho i can forsee them having a grizly end jst to make the show not premote violeence etc etc yadahyadah
Jul 10, 2014 4:32 PM

Nov 2009
galimx said:
On the other hand, its hard to take a guy serious when he is talking about anime cliches and generic stuff, when he has clannad in his favourites (MajorZero), bot yeah. Whatever.

Said the guy with NGE in his favourites.

Jul 10, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2012
Ahhh that atmosphere, with 11 eps this is probably going to one intense ride week by week.
MajorZero said:

Says the guy with ef in his favorites(jk that makes you awesome actually)
AlexTheRiotJul 10, 2014 4:37 PM
Jul 10, 2014 4:36 PM

Mar 2014
Very strong first episode! Hopefully it keeps up the pace and is interesting.
Jul 10, 2014 4:36 PM
Apr 2013
xBroken said:
The OST during the scene when they were escaping the girl really minds me of the bank robbery scene in The Dark Knight, very similar.

Yeah I can definitely hear the Hans Zimmer influences in that bit.

Ugh, that scene still bothers me. There are like a million witnesses of him turning up on a bike to pick her up. I wonder if that'll become a problem for them later, or if the writers will just gloss over it.
Jul 10, 2014 4:38 PM

Nov 2012
either
A.both of them died in the end
B.there are some rvelations about the truth/season 2
or none of this
Jul 10, 2014 4:41 PM

May 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I wonder if Mr. Super Writer Gen Urobuchi is somewhere wishing he came up with our two MC's here. The nihilism levels are off the charts with these two as are the fujoshi baiting potential. Other than that I think the directing is the stand out of this episode. Very good use of cinematography and pacing. Will have to see where it goes as far as the writing and I'm still not sure about the MC's beyond the fact that they seem designed to drive fujoshi absolutely wild (maybe I'm just getting a little too cynical though) with their whole tall dark and handsome ice man meets effeminate dorky smiling man personalities and Lisa as the kind of self-insert character that just seems to get shit on by life, wants a way out and/or for her tormentors to suffer and who looks like she'll be used like a tool by these two.

Nihilism? Seriously? They purposely set a fire so civilians could evacuate before the explosion, and then saved a girl who was completely irrelevant to their objective. How the fuck is this supposed to be "Nihilism"? At best, this is moral relativism.

Using the flashback as a basis, it's quite evident they're doing this driven by some cheap sentiment(s), rather than it being an actual political/philosophical statement.

I'm also quit sure, we'll see a "super evil government" plot device introduced in the near future, thus FULLY "justifying" the protagonists' actions and giving them the moral high-ground. Fuck yeah, fuel that righteous indignation, the masses love that shit. Oh boy, I can already smell the cheese. I'd rather it wouldn't but, there are so many ways it can go wrong that it probably will fall under it's own weight.

Also, almost a week has passed since Aldnoah aired and you're still butthurt over Aniplex's marketing campaign? Is it too much to ask of you to judge the goddamn show on it's own merits, objectively, without some meaningless external sensationalistic bullshit influencing you?
Where nihilism is concerned, "Mr.Super Writer Gen Urubuchi"'s F/Z Kirei eats half-assed "nihilists" like these stereotypical fujoshibait bitches for breakfast.
OwaruSekaiJul 10, 2014 4:49 PM
Jul 10, 2014 4:45 PM

Mar 2014
MajorZero said:
galimx said:
On the other hand, its hard to take a guy serious when he is talking about anime cliches and generic stuff, when he has clannad in his favourites (MajorZero), bot yeah. Whatever.

Since we're talking about generic/cliches then you mentioning NGE is like the polar opposite. I'm sorry mate but you're digging yourself a large hole.
Jul 10, 2014 4:52 PM

Nov 2009
galimx said:
2bad that NGE invented those cliche tropes that you are talking about, haha. The influence and cultural level and legacy of it its just to high for you to comprehend. Maybe you should read something about it, before you spurt nonsense. And you certainly lack respect for the past.

Wow. So angry. Much butthurt.

Jul 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
MajorZero said:
galimx said:
2bad that NGE invented those cliche tropes that you are talking about, haha. The influence and cultural level and legacy of it its just to high for you to comprehend. Maybe you should read something about it, before you spurt nonsense. And you certainly lack respect for the past.

Wow. So angry. Much butthurt.

I love when people used terrible memes to show their passive aggressive anger towards a computer screen.
Get real.
Jul 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2011
This was a really good 1st epd. It almost feels like The Dark Knight thanks to the OST. Also OP and Ed are not my cup of tea.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Jul 10, 2014 4:58 PM

Sep 2007
ITT: My anime taste is better than yours. Get on my level, plebs.
Jul 10, 2014 5:03 PM

Oct 2011
galimx said:
MajorZero said:

Bob was the first guy who invented the concept of stealing. We shouldn't condemn him because he came up with a totally original concept!

Not agreeing with any of you two but there are times where being the originator of something isn't good.
Jul 10, 2014 5:03 PM
Jun 2012
galimx said:

>Hasn't watched Ideon
>Hasn't watched Zambot 3
>Hasn't watched Gundam

NGE fans live in a weird dimension when the only tropes that exist (and that NGE by default "subverted") are limited to a couple of years before it, and the shows that came decades before and did the same things it did for the Super Robot genre suddenly don't exist.

Keep it up, people.
Jul 10, 2014 5:06 PM
Oct 2010
That was amazing from the 1st to the last second! It lived up to my expectation and they were incredibly high so I couldn't be anything other than extremely satisfied. Both the OP and the ED are beautiful, I can't wait for the full versions.

Jul 10, 2014 5:08 PM

Jul 2012
Damn that was amazing, it was way better than I expected (and I expected it to be great to begin with). Definitely the best premier yet for the summer season, heck year.
Like the premise and the characters.
The visuals were downright astounding as was the OST and OP/ED.
Watanabe never disappoints.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Jul 10, 2014 5:08 PM

Oct 2012
wow the animations
this series has definitely caught my attention
cant wait to see more :D
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 10, 2014 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
interesting episode kind of gives me the Phantom: requiem for a phantom feel either join us or die O_O
pretty good
[/quote]
Jul 10, 2014 5:27 PM

Jan 2012
I predict this to be the best anime of the season.
Jul 10, 2014 5:31 PM

May 2013
Great episode. Definitely my favorite of all the first episodes this season.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 10, 2014 5:33 PM

Aug 2010
I'm really liking the overall mood and atmosphere of this show. The ost during the terrorist attack reminded me a bit of the ost from The Dark Knight.

This show has the potential to be the best of the season.
Jul 10, 2014 5:41 PM

Apr 2013
That was a very promising start. The episode was exciting and interesting, and I like the characters so far. The animation looks nice.
Also, that Yoko Kanno OST is amazing. The OP and ED are great too. This is definitely one of my favorite series from this season.
Jul 10, 2014 6:01 PM
Mar 2013
nice show.
Jul 10, 2014 6:07 PM
Dec 2012
Ah, the masters are back. Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno.
幾千光年の孤独
Jul 10, 2014 6:16 PM

Mar 2014
Actually thought his dream sequence was the ED and was like "wft, that was short".
Was happy when I found out that it was only half way through.