Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Satisfaction and Expectation Ranking for Summer and Autumn Anime

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Oct 8, 2009 2:44 AM

Dengeki.com released the results of the anime fans' votes on the best anime aired this summer and the most expected anime to be aired this autumn. The vote was held from September 10th - 30th.

"Satisfaction" Ranking for Summer Titles in 2009 (expectation ranks are in parentheses)
*1, (*4) Bakemonogatari
*2, (*5) Saki
*3, (*1) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
*4, (*5) CANAAN
*5, (*2) Umineko no Naku Koro ni
*6, (*3) Valkyria Chronicles
*7, (*7) GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
*8, (*4) Dragon Ball Kai
*9, (*9) Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
10, (12) Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya New Animation was excluded from the entries. The expectation ranks for Saki, FMA2 etc. are the ones for Spring titles.

ref. "Expectation" Ranking for Summer Titles in 2009

"Expectation" Ranking for Autumn Titles in 2009
*1, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
*2, Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini
*3, InuYasha: Kanketsu-hen
*4, Fairy Tail
*5, Seitokai no Ichizon
*6, Tegamibachi
*7, 11eyes
*8, Nyan Koi!
*9, Seiken no Blacksmith
10, Kobato.

Source: Dengeki
Japan's Satisfaction and Expectation Ranking for Spring and Summer Anime
Modified by dtshyk, Oct 8, 2009 2:58 AM

Oct 8, 2009 2:51 AM

Yay for bakemonogatari being first ^^
saki second, i didnt expect it to be that good.
for the autum one, mmm kobato 10th, thought it would be a bit better than that

Oct 8, 2009 2:59 AM

FMA Brotherhood actually surpassed my expectations, haha, but it seems not everyone shares that opinion.

I can understand DBK's score now, they promised us something different then this cut up shit, haven't seen anything in that top 10 besides those two, (well, 3 eps of Saki, but.. yeah..).

Now I can put myself more in the expactations of this autumn's series etc, and I must say, the only series that deserves it point is probably Fairy Tail.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun might turn out really great, just like the other To Aru anime, but number one? I think that spot is more reserved for Tegami Bachi if you ask me, truly a magnificent manga, and the anime's probably just going to be as great. I'm not sure about Inuyasha and Darker than Black, since I haven't seen their prequels yet.

But after episode 1 of Seitokai no Ichizon I almost dropped the series (it was saved because I don't drop series, haha), the only way this show's going to survive is if their going to keep the shitload of reference's through the show, because that was almost the only thing that was good in the first episode.

I expected Nyan Koi! and Kobato a bit higher too, but maybe that's just my preference. Sad to see some (probably) good shows that aren't in this top 10, but then again, manga adaptions are more favorable then original anime's.

I'm quite curious how this is going to change in the satisfaction chart.

wooooottt...

yay for bakemonogatari! XD

and yeah,, kobato will definitely get a higher rank.. i hope miracle train too.. lol.

Oct 8, 2009 4:19 AM

i get the feeling dtb 2 will end up #1 even if it sucks

Oct 8, 2009 4:42 AM
Strange thing is that Kimi ni Todoke is not ranked. It was, and still is, my #1 expectation for this season, and I'm pretty certain it will end up in the top 5 of the satisfaction ranking in the end. For the rest, it's pretty normal despite Kobato. being a bit low and Toaru 2 being vastly overestimated.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Oct 8, 2009 4:48 AM

FUCKING BOOBS YEA!

Kai made the list.

Oct 8, 2009 4:59 AM

How come only one of the series I plan on watching is even on this list o___o
I'd like to see who they poll lol.

Oct 8, 2009 5:08 AM

Kimi ni Todoke not even on the list? and what about Winter Sonata. Fuck

Oct 8, 2009 5:21 AM

Jacut said:
Strange thing is that Kimi ni Todoke is not ranked.

Why should it be? It has a very limited target audience, and most shows on the list are fanboy-baits.
dPsychc said:
and what about Winter Sonata. Fuck

Well, obviously japanese otakus hate everything korean after the Hetalia incident. :D

Oct 8, 2009 5:43 AM

A bit surprised S&W wasn't in the top ten, but maybe expectations were too high.

Oct 8, 2009 5:48 AM

Yey, Saki being the second <3 And I was worried that people didn't like it ! :O

And whut, Kimi ni Todoke is not on the list ? And Kobato is on 10th place ... that list gotta be wrong.

Oct 8, 2009 5:49 AM
co_flame said:
A bit surprised S&W wasn't in the top ten, but maybe expectations were too high.

Same here.

BTW personnally it was my favorite show of this summer :)

Oct 8, 2009 6:19 AM

Did anyone not notice the fact that Spice and Wolf II was a #1 expectation, but is not even in the top 10 for satisfaction? Interesting.

Oct 8, 2009 6:23 AM
seishi-sama said:
Jacut said:

Why should it be? It has a very limited target audience, and most shows on the list are fanboy-baits.

I don't really agree with you. The manga was quite famous in Japan (and abroad for that matter, since it's one of the most sold shojo mangas in Europe), and has a pretty decent fanbase already. If you add to that Production IG, Kimi ni Todoke seems like a top 6 show of this season in terms of popularity expectations with Fairy Tale (Shonen Magazine's arguably most popular new shonen), Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (sequel to a famous shonen/harem anime), Darker than BLACK 2 (sequel to a very famous BONES anime), Kobato. (CLAMP), Inuyasha Kanketsu-Hen (Rumiko Takahashi) and Letter Bee (one of Shueisha's Jump Square most known shonens). All the other shows of the top 10 are pretty much unknown.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Oct 8, 2009 6:54 AM

Jacut said:
seishi-sama said:
Jacut said:

I don't really agree with you. The manga was quite famous in Japan (and abroad for that matter, since it's one of the most sold shojo mangas in Europe), and has a pretty decent fanbase already. If you add to that Production IG, Kimi ni Todoke seems like a top 6 show of this season in terms of popularity expectations with Fairy Tale (Shonen Magazine's arguably most popular new shonen), Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (sequel to a famous shonen/harem anime), Darker than BLACK 2 (sequel to a very famous BONES anime), Kobato. (CLAMP), Inuyasha Kanketsu-Hen (Rumiko Takahashi) and Letter Bee (one of Shueisha's Jump Square most known shonens). All the other shows of the top 10 are pretty much unknown.

Famous it may be, but famous and popular are quite different things. And it's shoujo...and shoujo was never mainstream and probably will never be. Basically, if you compare a "popular" shounen manga with a "popular" shoujo manga, the shounen will have about 10 times more fans than the shoujo. Especially when it's shoujo romance, not shoujo comedy, supernatural mystery or whatever else.
Production I.G. remark is quite funny, tbh, cause most of their shows in the recent years failed in terms of sales (Real Drive, Ghost Hound, World Destruction, Sisters of Wellber, Seirei no Moribito to name a few), so they were probably the worst-selling anime company in 2006-2008. They got back on the track this year with Higashi no Eden and Basara though, but who knows...

Oct 8, 2009 7:22 AM

Winter Sonata not on list, I think they'll be in for a surprise.
remember the making video of Winter Sonata selling over 5000 copies in the first week, uh yeah.

Oct 8, 2009 7:30 AM

vindemon64 said:
Did anyone not notice the fact that Spice and Wolf II was a #1 expectation, but is not even in the top 10 for satisfaction? Interesting.
Considering it sucked compared to the first season, I don't find it surprising at all.

Oct 8, 2009 7:31 AM

Why did everyone turn on Spice and Wolf 2, I thought it was great, about as good as the first season, and Tokyo Magnitude number 9, did they watch the whole show?

As for this season, Railgun does seem to be the standout, but I can't shake a feeling Book of Bantorra maybe the one we talk about in a few years.
My anime list

Oct 8, 2009 8:30 AM

I knew it

phantom is so underrated ;_; congratz to bake though

as for the expectations

I would've thought that DtB would be first lol

Oct 8, 2009 8:36 AM
So much opinions around here.

Mine: really, Japan? CANAAN? Umineko?

Oct 8, 2009 8:48 AM

Bluesnow said:
How come only one of the series I plan on watching is even on this list o___o
I'd like to see who they poll lol.

Same here, and the 2nd what i plan to watch isn't even on list :D
20px!!!!

Oct 8, 2009 9:02 AM

biribiri ftw

mitamaking said:
Why did everyone turn on Spice and Wolf 2, I thought it was great, about as good as the first season, and Tokyo Magnitude number 9, did they watch the whole show?

Yeah I'm kind of surprised at the huge shift, too... though I can't really say it was as great as the first season. Maybe if there had been more transformation... the last arc especially felt pretty boring to me. Also, S&W is mainly targeted to young male viewers, yet there is actually very little fanservice... maybe they don't like being teased anymore.

qwerty_ said:

Beatrice will kill you in your sleep.

I am a banana.

Oct 8, 2009 10:23 AM

qwerty_ said:
So much opinions around here.

same here, somepeople have no taste, At least Umineko is so bad I can laugh at it though
that reminds me, I need to resubmit my recommendation for those 2 now that I edited it.

Oct 8, 2009 11:06 AM

Wow, I wasn't expecting Railgun to be #1 in the expectations. Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. We'll see.

Oct 8, 2009 11:13 AM

Fuck yeah Saki!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Oct 8, 2009 12:36 PM

I definitly agree with top 5 (results). I thought Phantom would've ended ranked higher than 10 although it still went up 2 spots.

Oct 8, 2009 1:11 PM

The heck? When To Aru main version was aired, it got shitty ratings and now a spin-off got higher ones? That just showed any show with a Tsundere, petanko gal + another petanko, lesbo gal= WIN in Japan, no matter how bad the plot is <_<

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Oct 8, 2009 1:38 PM

dtshyk said:

*5, Seitokai no Ichizon

Just when I thought Japan had taste...

Oct 8, 2009 1:44 PM

Bakemonogatariiiii~

and yay FMA: Brotherhood.:)

Oct 8, 2009 1:51 PM
BitchMaster said:
The heck? When To Aru main version was aired, it got shitty ratings and now a spin-off got higher ones? That just showed any show with a Tsundere, petanko gal + another petanko, lesbo gal= WIN in Japan, no matter how bad the plot is <_<

You're making an incorrect assumption here. While opinions weren't positive across the board, Index did quite well with the Japanese audience (got fifth place, just behind Kannagi in Dengeki.com's Autumn 2008 satisfaction ranking), so it was ultimately a success.

Shitty ratings with non-Japanese are irrelevant since the novels would be considered shitty too. On the other hand, Japanese who like the novels (and it's a popular series) are probably okay with an anime adaptation that has the same problems.

Oct 8, 2009 3:05 PM

FALL expectation = KIMI NI TODOKE too :)

Oct 8, 2009 3:14 PM
saka said:
qwerty_ said:

Beatrice will kill you in your sleep.

Will, at least the ANIME is really disappoint. If your comment is serious [who knows?], of course.

Oct 8, 2009 3:15 PM

Hmm, that's pretty interesting.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.

Oct 8, 2009 5:12 PM

Tokyo Magnitude at 9th (with Saki, Valkyria Chronicles, GA, and Dragon Ball ahead of it...?) and Kimi ni Todoke's not even on the top ten for expectations? Disappointing

Oct 8, 2009 5:16 PM

[fanboy]What!? Kimi ni Todoke isn't in the expectations for top 10!?[/fanboy]

Oct 8, 2009 6:45 PM
Bakemonogatari? wow...serious... but this anime trully deserves the place.
Didn't watch Saki, so i can't really judge bout that. At least FMA is in the top three.

Surprisingly, CANAAN gives a tough competition as well.

The expectation list was way off, there's no way spice and wolf can win....glad that it was totally wrong.

For the autumn titles, to have railgun in the first place, that sounds awesome. But i rather have fairy tale. Anyway, anything can go wrong.

Eii, we might be having kimi ni todoke inside the list.

Oct 8, 2009 6:58 PM

Spice and Wolf failing to meet expectations kind of surprised me, even though I didn't like it. It just seemed like people here on MAL are still crazy about Spice and Wolf II.

As for people having high expectations for Seitokai no Ichizon... well, all I can say is I do too. What can I say? The first episode had me laughing the entire time.

FMA being on the top ten did not surprise me at all, even though I put the series on hold twice. Popular anime remains popular (but imo, first season >>>> second season of FMA)

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.

Oct 8, 2009 7:03 PM

guyklc said:
Spice and Wolf failing to meet expectations kind of surprised me, even though I didn't like it. It just seemed like people here on MAL are still crazy about Spice and Wolf II.
Well, regardless of expectations, it is a very popular series. Of course you are still going to see a lot of people who liked it.

Oct 8, 2009 7:25 PM

Spice and Wolf 2 skipped a novel and basically was jsut setting up for the interesting bits in teh novels... so meh

Oct 8, 2009 7:26 PM

yay i guess... darnit i didnt want bakemonogatari to be first..
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™

Oct 8, 2009 8:08 PM
This poll is a disgrace. Saki and Valkyria Chronicles are mediocre series at best and Pandora Hearts which is one of the best shows of the year is nowhere to be seen. And then people complain why there are so many shity shows out there. Well if crap like Saki and Valkyria are still gonna be popular, why improve. Really pathetic.

Oct 8, 2009 9:05 PM

I'm glad for Bakemonogatari being first.
And at least CANAAN and Umineko's in the top 5.
Totally didn't think DBK will be up there.

Railgun... It did start off well but I'll have to see later on.
Inuyasha... hmm...

Oct 8, 2009 9:33 PM

Neji said:
This poll is a disgrace. Saki and Valkyria Chronicles are mediocre series at best and Pandora Hearts which is one of the best shows of the year is nowhere to be seen. And then people complain why there are so many shity shows out there. Well if crap like Saki and Valkyria are still gonna be popular, why improve. Really pathetic.
I lol'd.

Oct 10, 2009 1:18 AM

why kobato in 10th ?

Oct 13, 2009 1:44 PM

Inuyasha for #1!!!!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.