Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 1:28 PM
Dec 2012
Did not expect a single thing this anime just through out at me...what the...
Jul 5, 2014 1:29 PM
Jun 2014
LTRoosta said:
I'm really excited for this it seems interesting . I just hope this doesn't get rushed out.
Overall: 4/5 for this episode.

can't see it being rushed since it will have 24 episodes and is original anime and not an adaption.
Jul 5, 2014 1:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I actually enjoyed this first episode quite a bit. Definitely a Gundam clone, down to the space royalty and dropping of large planetary scale objects on unsupecting cities, but with pretty decent production values. I don't rate Urobuchi as much as other people here, but I reckon he can make a pretty good story out of this. I hope that what seems to be the young MC doesn't end up being some all knowing OP characters.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 5, 2014 1:32 PM

Nov 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Hoppy said:

Speaking of sales, besides BDs, how are they going to ensure that this anime is successful, being a mecha anime this should had model kits or figures in the works by now at the very least, granted I seen nothing from Sidonia or Captain Earth yet so maybe that type of merchandising strategy is an outdated concept and reliance on BDs almost exclusively if not exclusively is the standard for late night mecha as well.

If they want model kits they'll probably have to go through their direct competitor Bandai which would be kind of ironic since they basically started the promotion of this series by saying they wanted it to compete with Gundam. I don't think there's going to be though, maybe we'll get some figurines, but this show doesn't exactly seem aimed at the model kit building crowd with it's CGI designs at least initially. This seems more aimed at the Attack on Titan big epic visuals and blaring soundtrack HYPE HYPE crowd and the thing is while Gundam could have the big bombastic scenes that keep people at the edge of their seats just fine it could also have scenes like this. I'm wondering if the people behind this show have the ability or even the desire and time to fit in any sort of scenes like that one in what is probably going to be a mad rush to maintain maximum levels of hype at all times.

It doesn't seem like something that can pull in the premium merchandise but other mecha such as Rinne no Lagrange got figures of each of Vox units and the characters, so the chance is there albeit a much lower chance. I also highly doubt that Aldnoah.Zero will have many meaningful encounter or love scenes, and since this is a Urobuchi series, I might as well have some doubt on many crowning moments of heartwarmth either. The series just seems designed more for fans want as much action out of this every episode or almost every episode as possible.

Jul 5, 2014 1:34 PM

Jun 2013
damn
i expect that princess will die someday
but not in eps 1 though..

what the....
i wonder what kind of plot twist in the next eps
Jul 5, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2014
New Orleans got rekt, fast.
Those OSTs though.

Really good animation.
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Jul 5, 2014 1:36 PM

Dec 2010
Best start this season yet.
The story definitely got huge potential. Though using children as protagonists wasn't the best choice for this kinda story, as long as they can execute the story well I'll gladly overlook it.

Also, since we didn't get to see the princess' face when the attack happened it was most certainly a double.
In the first place, the "terrorists" were probably Martians (or however they are called in this story), so as to finally start war up again.

Edit: And the soundtrack is epic
DarkDooM2Jul 5, 2014 1:39 PM
Jul 5, 2014 1:36 PM

Sep 2013
Fairly predictable but godly in execution so far. Amazing OST, clean and colorful visuals and an interesting world.

My favorite this season so far.
Jul 5, 2014 1:45 PM

Mar 2013
Was a decent first episode doesn't seem to be following the typical modern day mecha tropes of a random high school kid suddenly becoming a skilled mech pilot, hell correct me if im wrong but I don't think I have seen any sort of overpowered mech for the mc in any of the promotional stuff so I wonder how they will combat this coming threat.
Jul 5, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
Very very predictable. But considering Urobutcher gen , this might go down to as anime of the season.
Jul 5, 2014 1:51 PM

Apr 2012
Very interesting anime. Good studio and good stuff can make something unusual. In this episode soundtrack was really amazing!

I can't wait for next episode!

For this ep 5/5
Jul 5, 2014 1:55 PM

Jul 2014
NaughtyNoddy said:
Seeing all these people being dematerialized in the end was quite shocking. Gen's writing gave me a "Barefoot Gen" feeling.

CaptainKatsuura said:
As far as the princess is concerned:

I had the same thought. Maybe that charm Slaine gave her, protected her.

Although this is Urobutcher we're talking about so she might be... but she also might not be :-P
Jul 5, 2014 1:55 PM
Oct 2012
I heard this was made by the same guy that made Madoka so I'll be waiting for a plot twist.
Jul 5, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2010
The first half of the episode was really bad. It was poorly explained as to what was going on, and subsequently fairly difficult to follow. The second half of the episode was better, I think I'll wait for the next episode till I make my decision about continuing watching it. Though the second half did show immense potential, there's still a chance for it to fall flat on its face because the plot does seem rather thin.

Jul 5, 2014 1:57 PM

Aug 2007
That wasnt bad at all. Hopefully the Princess somehow survived all of that since it seems our MC is just too uninterested to fight those Knights.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 5, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2012
Good episode. Likely Princess is alive and is going to give Earth that ancient tech to fight with.
Jul 5, 2014 2:04 PM

Jul 2012
I predicted about 80% of this episode so far and the MC lol,an incoming missile and he looked so bored....
Still New Orleans destruction was the best scene...

I painted my teary face with a disguised smile[COLOR=#ff3333] and pretended it was a cry out of joy.[/COLOR]

Jul 5, 2014 2:08 PM

Jul 2010
Amazing first episode.Was ''a little bit'' generic, but i still loved it - amazing OST (sasuga SawaHiro) and animation + arstyle, interesting characters so far and great choice of seiyuus.Seems like it's going to be a great ride.
Jul 5, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2012
omgsh, loved it!

didn't had any expectation for this but it was awesome!

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jul 5, 2014 2:10 PM

Apr 2013
Those people burned to crisp due to the shockwave.... that was brutal... too brutal for my heart.

That's a promising start!
Jul 5, 2014 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Best 1st episode of this season so far.
I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. Soundtrack was nice and so was animation.
I was kind of surprised by how fast the pace was,but that might not be necessarily for worse.
Also,I get the feeling that the Princess was sacrificed to give a reason for attack,similiar to Sarajevo incident which resulted in start of the first world war.
removed-userJul 5, 2014 2:18 PM
Jul 5, 2014 2:15 PM

Jun 2012
The fact that the Princess's face wasn't shown at all from when the car appeared makes me think that it wasn't her. Maybe they had a decoy or something to see if there was any hostility or dangers present. Who knows.

Good first episode though. The soundtrack that kicked in towards the end was pretty epic too.
Jul 5, 2014 2:15 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow I liked it. I wasn't even expecting anything because I'm no mecha fan, and only wanted to watch this because of Sawano (I didn't even really care about the other big names, nor some of my favorite VAs). But what can I say, it was better than I expected. I like how we don't see any real mecha action in the first episode, which is quite refreshing from all the other ones I've seen with the MC being able to pilot a new mech skillfully (or not skillfully like Shirogane no Ishi lol). Even the opening scene was quite nice because it didn't rely on anything spectacular. I liked Hanae Natsuki's "my pace" type of character, or more like he seems pretty apathetic atm. He's just like, hey guys we should leave because there's a missile coming. There's also a lot of history and politics going on too already. Also liking Kalafina's song at the end. Let's see where this goes since it's only 12 episodes.
Jul 5, 2014 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
Second anime doing reference to my country. I don't remember the first one.
But this time Urobutcher went too far, he bombed my land. WTF
Jul 5, 2014 2:19 PM

Jan 2011
Stark700 said:
Amarrez said:
AMERICA GOT REKT AFTER INDEPENDENCE DAY

Lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. The firestorm scene or whatever it was looked like it from the movie too.

Wow, this wont be another Gargantia, all right. Pretty fast start. But me being careful now, went with just 7/10 and high hopes :D
Jul 5, 2014 2:20 PM
May 2014
That was a great episode! As expected the OST is great and always add more emotions into what's happening. 5/5. Sad to see how the little kids were wishing for peace all around the world when at that exact moment a whole city was being blown up with millions of people dying. :(
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 5, 2014 2:21 PM

Jan 2012
kinda generic.
Death of the princess...
saw that coming from the very first minute.
Character seem kinda generic as well but it is still early.

Awesome soundtrack though.
Yuki Kajiura all the way.

Even if this turns out to be shit i will atleast listen to it xD
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Jul 5, 2014 2:22 PM

Dec 2010
Uncanny said:
The first half of the episode was really bad. It was poorly explained as to what was going on, and subsequently fairly difficult to follow.

No. Just no.
It was very easy to follow.
Jul 5, 2014 2:23 PM
May 2014
It was pretty cool I suppose. Had a nice soundtrack. Pretty obvious that the Mars clan set the whole thing up just to take Earth. That's how I see it anyway.
Jul 5, 2014 2:24 PM
Oct 2010
Clockwork_Pinkie said:
It was pretty cool I suppose. Had a nice soundtrack. Pretty obvious that the Mars clan set the whole thing up just to take Earth. That's how I see it anyway.

Doesn't really make sense does it? What reason would they need to set this up?
Jul 5, 2014 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
DarkDooM2 said:
Uncanny said:
The first half of the episode was really bad. It was poorly explained as to what was going on, and subsequently fairly difficult to follow.

No. Just no.

Basic explanation of conflict was given pretty blatantly and most likely,gory details and different viewpoints of war will follow .
Jul 5, 2014 2:25 PM
Mar 2014
SolviteSekai said:
valvrave the liberator third season

Don't even say that...
Valvrave was bad(horrible even) it was the combination of twilight and highschool musical but Aldnoah was pretty good, it was the best first episode of the season so far and it was promising

Oct 2011
Well,as others have stated,this is an obvious Gundam copy so far.I just wonder what will feature(s) of the show will give it it's own identity.Valvrave had the space vampire & high school country gimmick.Will this have robot ghost pirates & a moe queen?

Jokes aside,it was a good start & I'm curious as to where this will go.Sure,I became interested in this solely because of the staff (let's face it,that's how it was with most people).I just hope it won't end up being crap,having an all star staff doesn't protect it from that possibility.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

Jan 2012
skudoops said:
Clockwork_Pinkie said:

To finally have a reason to start a war, maybe?
lol. The hinted pretty hard that the mars was just waiting for it.

I liked the execution of the assassination though.
Not just a sniper or a bomb but a well planned through plan.
Jul 5, 2014 2:26 PM

Nov 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
-snip-

That... was a really bitter read.

Decent opener, I agree that they really pulled the production values up a notch to wow the audience and get everyone strapped in. It's a 12 episode series so it's expected when you consider the apparent scale of the war, a major catalyst in the first episode was needed. Pretty sure most people were expecting it so they tried to outdo their expectations for the visuals and introduce everyone to the OST.

Not sure why you're complaining about hyping/advertising, seen as how you subject yourself to it. It's not forced upon you. As far as I'm concerned the hype for Aldnoah pales in comparison to the other season mammoths *looking at you SAO2/Akame ga Kill* Both of which barely even need to try hard to generate attention, they both have source materials with massive fanbases. Aldnoah doesn't. I'd like to think you can forgive Aldnoah for flaunting its staff names when you look at what they're competing with in the season.

E; One thing that irked me was Inaho's reactions, guess I'm just sick to death of stoic characters.
SadJul 5, 2014 2:30 PM
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 5, 2014 2:27 PM

Oct 2012
My favorite first episode so far this season, looking forward to much more
Jul 5, 2014 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
skudoops said:
Clockwork_Pinkie said:

They were secure just in case that they lost,I'd say,because they were not the agressors,at least,seemingly.
It is quite similiar to Sarajevo assassination,which I mentioned in post above,in which Franz Ferdinand was killed and that was official reason for starting war,even though entire Europe was pretty much poised to jump on each other's throat.

May 2013
skudoops said:
Clockwork_Pinkie said:

To have the moral high ground?

Jan 2011
DejWoSWK said:
DarkDooM2 said:

No. Just no.

Basic explanation of conflict was given pretty blatantly and most likely,gory details and different viewpoints of war will follow .

Well, I had to pause a lot to read the double lines in time, but had no problem understanding the background.
We have to start a poll about how many of the supports will last untill the end :D
Jul 5, 2014 2:32 PM

Jan 2012
I been waiting for this to come and I have to say, it did meet my expectations. It does come off as your regular mecha anime but I have a feeling there will be more to it seeing as Gen Urobuchi is involved with it.

But I have to say the part where they totally destroyed New Orleans had to be my favorite part of the whole episode, Especially because I live in New Orleans!
Jul 5, 2014 2:39 PM

Sep 2007
That fucking music. Kalafina, Yuki Kajiura, AND Hiroyuki Sawano!? Holy fucking shit. My god that was awesome.
WasabiJul 5, 2014 2:53 PM
Jul 5, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2013
pretty good first episode and a good setup for the rest of the series

HOWEVER i already see the series being rushed as hell. 12 episode does not seem enough
Jul 5, 2014 2:45 PM
Oct 2010
Aeonenleben said:
skudoops said:

I'm saying that there's no other power to challenge them, so why would they need to rely on an assassination attempt to start the war? They could just go ahead and do it without even batting an eye because who would they have to answer to?

DejWoSWK said:
skudoops said:

They were secure just in case that they lost,I'd say,because they were not the agressors,at least,seemingly.
It is quite similiar to Sarajevo assassination,which I mentioned in post above,in which Franz Ferdinand was killed and that was official reason for starting war,even though entire Europe was pretty much poised to jump on each other's throat.

Like I just mentioned, there is no third party in this war so there's no one to answer to. A flimsy excuse like "you were the aggressor" isn't really going to mean anything if they lost.
Jul 5, 2014 2:48 PM

Jan 2012
I'm saying that there's no other power to challenge them, so why would they need to rely on an assassination attempt to start the war? They could just go ahead and do it without even batting an eye because who would they have to answer to?

Well, maybe they need the favor of their citizens to start a war.
The princess would have been against it for sure and i guess they didn't want to start a protest movement on their homeplanet.
Jul 5, 2014 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
skudoops said:

Like I just mentioned, there is no third party in this war so there's no one to answer to. A flimsy excuse like "you were the aggressor" isn't really going to mean anything if they lost.

True enough,but if they lost,repercussions would likely be more less severe,than if they blatantly attacked first,because they could put part of the blame on the Earth inhabitants.

EDIT: Choice of words.
removed-userJul 5, 2014 2:51 PM
Jul 5, 2014 2:49 PM

Sep 2007
skudoops said:
Aeonenleben said:

DejWoSWK said:

It's to incite their own ranks into believing cooperation between Earth and Vers is completely out of the question. That the Terrans are nothing more than mindless beasts.
Jul 5, 2014 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
This was a freaking intense first episode, I'm looking forward to more of this!
Jul 5, 2014 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
It was a great start for the first episode.

The entire city got wiped out in the end...that was so shocked.
Jul 5, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2013
Promising start; very large and intriguing cast. Can't wait for next week! Also, dat music

Prediction: The princess lives!
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Jul 5, 2014 2:54 PM
Oct 2010
Wasabi said:

It's to incite their own ranks into believing cooperation between Earth and Vers is completely out of the question. That the Terrans are nothing more than mindless beasts.

That isn't very likely, they already believe that as evident by the behaviour of everyone but the princess.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

719 by Softhenic03 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2014

433 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

533 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

470 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 21, 12:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.