Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jul 6, 2014 12:46 PM
Jul 2009
I dislike a lot of things about it. The idea of using CG in opening and transformation scene. The bland feeling in comparision to the previous adaptation. The Mitsuishi Kono simply doesn't fitting anymore, with all the respects towards her. And the soundtrack, again - compared to the original series it's just a luckluster. The expectations were high for this anime, especially with the time they were given, and I can't hide the fact that I'm dissapointed so far.
Jul 6, 2014 12:50 PM
Aug 2011
Skrzydlaty said:
I dislike a lot of things about it. The idea of using CG in opening and transformation scene. The bland feeling in comparision to the previous adaptation. The Mitsuishi Kono simply doesn't fitting anymore, with all the respects towards her. And the soundtrack, again - compared to the original series it's just a luckluster. The expectations were high for this anime, especially with the time they were given, and I can't hide the fact that I'm dissapointed so far.
They oficially started to work on it last year during summer. In summer 2013 when it was supposed to be released,they started audition fot chara designs. I am pretty sure they haven't used this two years at all...
Jul 6, 2014 1:16 PM

Nov 2011
I've read multiple comments about how it's so much more like the manga now, but I'm trying to figure out how this ep was so much different from the first ep of the original anime. Are we only talking about the art style, Usagi's elegance and the dreams? Because it's otherwise exactly the same.
Jul 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Jul 2007
Squallina said:
I've read multiple comments about how it's so much more like the manga now, but I'm trying to figure out how this ep was so much different from the first ep of the original anime. Are we only talking about the art style, Usagi's elegance and the dreams? Because it's otherwise exactly the same.

Mamoru is literally a different character here. THe whole split-personality bullshit is not present. No rose throwing or saving either.
The antics are way less exaggerated. The tone is different.
As shown by the end of episode, it won't take ~10+ eps to introduce other senshi.
Jul 6, 2014 1:43 PM
Aug 2011
Squallina said:
Well, the fiirst episode of the old series is quite faithful to the manga. Then they have like 7 filler episodes until the introduction of Ami. Now it is going to be in the second episode. And after the introduction of Rei ( most likely in the third episode) things will be obviously quite different. Like a completely different story, with some common plot points. :)
sailorvJul 6, 2014 1:53 PM
Jul 6, 2014 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
Thanks, fai and sailorv. I wasn't aware of the differences between Mamoru and the following eps. I guess it's the small things like this that are tipping off the manga fans and making them excited. But these small things are going to become more obvious as the series progresses so I guess this is something to look forward to, especially if you're a fan of the manga.
Jul 6, 2014 6:24 PM

Oct 2013
It looks interesting. I'm definitely not used to this much change just yet, but hopefully the CGI will make up for itself... and it's only 26 episodes versus the original 46 (?) so the pace is definitely quicker.
Jul 6, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2012
Never seen Sailor Moon, so I didn't have really any expectations coming into this.
Aside from the questionable usage of CGI and the strange (at times) art, I have to admit I am intrigued. It's quite good and I definitely will continue watching.
Jul 6, 2014 8:29 PM

Jan 2013
Haven't seen Sailor Moon, but this anime felt like it was from the early 90's. Other than the unnecessary CG.
It was alright
Jul 6, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2013
RediceRyan said:
Haven't seen Sailor Moon, but this anime felt like it was from the early 90's. Other than the unnecessary CG.
It was alright

feeling and looking like it is old as fuck is not a good thing.

Anime from the 90s wasnt good because it was ugly.
Jul 6, 2014 8:35 PM

Dec 2013
plotwise it didn't do to bad. sticks to the original manga. kinda hard to displease the fans that way. i loved the voice acting. but holy shit was the art production on this is bad. everyone looks and moves so lifelessly, and that anatomy/character designs, ughhh... that transformation scene was probably the worst one i have seen.

considering how many times this was delayed and that its on a biweekly schedule i can't even believe it looks this bad. probably the worst looking high profile anime in a very long time. the original had so much character in the animation and this is just absolutely devoid of any at all.
Jul 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Dec 2008
Not bad. Not the biggest fan of the extremely pastel manga style art, but I could come around.

Saw the original series back in the day, so everything that happened in the episode was really familiar with very few surprises or changes.

My biggest complaint is that I'm not really sure this show needed to be remade. Except for the different animation style, the first episode of the original series and the first episode of this series are practically identical. Feels a lot like Toei Animation is going to a lot of effort to elaborately reinvent the wheel purely as a cash grab.
Jul 6, 2014 8:47 PM

Feb 2013
Really not my type of anime. Just watched the first one out of curiosity but wasn't it exactly the same thing as the original story?
Jul 6, 2014 9:37 PM

Jan 2011
did not watch the original, feels like a silly show but it is fine as that is expected

the real problem for me is their voices, especially Usagi's one...
Jul 7, 2014 1:29 AM

Nov 2012
Its really weird how as a kid I loved Sailor Moon so much and was such a huge fan that i got the series and movies on VHS and DVD and watched them over and over again, but now I cant remember really a single thing about what its about.

As I watched this episode I didn't really get a nostalgic or familiar feel or remember any of this stuff happening. I guess I was really young I dont know. I kind of want to put the original Sailor Moon series on my completed list, but I cant remember any of it so I dont know if that counts.

I wonder if I am going to feel interested in the story as the person I am now, but I feel that I will have to watch it anyways because it is a classic and because I feel the need to honor a series I enjoyed so much as my younger self.
Slaine did nothing wrong.
Jul 7, 2014 3:15 AM

May 2014
Overall, I quite like it.
But they definitely screwed up the transformation scene! It would have been better without the CGI effects, and Usagi's arms look kind of weird in it too.

Jul 7, 2014 3:27 AM
Aug 2008
At first, I thought they looked ages 15-25.

Jul 7, 2014 5:10 AM

Mar 2009
Don't blame the potential of Sailor Moon, blame on the shitty director and new producers !!
If only Kunihiko Ikuhara was still on board .. I remember when I saw him and asked him if he would work on that new one .. his smile spoke for him :(
Jul 7, 2014 6:00 AM

May 2009
amazing!!! so worth the wait
Jul 7, 2014 6:42 AM

Oct 2012
I thought it was overall very good! It is very close to the manga, though not exact as Sailor Moon starts of with the similar glasses to what Sailor V wears in the manga..not a big deal but I was really looking forward to seeing her wear them as I like the design xD
The music was pretty good, would've preferred if they remixed old tracks but it still works fine.
Only things I didn't like were the lack of facial expressions and I'm iffy on the transformation..
Overall, I liked it and I want more!..plus I wanna see Sailor Venus :3
~nya
Jul 7, 2014 6:51 AM

Jan 2011
RadiShineAmigo said:
I thought it was overall very good! It is very close to the manga, though not exact as Sailor Moon starts of with the similar glasses to what Sailor V wears in the manga..not a big deal but I was really looking forward to seeing her wear them as I like the design xD
The music was pretty good, would've preferred if they remixed old tracks but it still works fine.
Only things I didn't like were the lack of facial expressions and I'm iffy on the transformation..
Overall, I liked it and I want more!..plus I wanna see Sailor Venus :3

Yeah I missed the Glasses too, but it's not a big deal anyway if Usagi would stop wearing them after the next transformations. About the expressions, some scene could have bit more of it true, like hitting the main door with Sailor V Kick. I think this aspect will be much better in the next episodes. Check the preview for episode 2 if you haven't seen it :D

Jul 7, 2014 7:07 AM

Oct 2012
Raff said:
Yeah I missed the Glasses too, but it's not a big deal anyway if Usagi would stop wearing them after the next transformations. About the expressions, some scene could have bit more of it true, like hitting the main door with Sailor V Kick. I think this aspect will be much better in the next episodes. Check the preview for episode 2 if you haven't seen it :D

I just checked it now and I can see a few more of those good old expressions :D
Hopefully they develop more throughout and make them funnier as the anime goes on as that was one of my favourite parts of the original anime :3
~nya
Jul 7, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2007
RadiShineAmigo said:
Raff said:

I just checked it now and I can see a few more of those good old expressions :D
Hopefully they develop more throughout and make them funnier as the anime goes on as that was one of my favourite parts of the original anime :3

Don't expect too much of "funny" from this. It will be way darker than the previous one.
Jul 7, 2014 9:59 AM
Dec 2009
I didn't have any complaints about the art style, I really like the handdrawn-looking backgrounds, but when I saw the transformation scene, I just wanted the whole thing to be a videogame... If ANYTHING looks like that, with full-on special effects, I want to be able to explode things with it at the push of a button.

Otherwise, the atmosphere is nice and the humor feels subtle, even when it gets fisted into my face.
Jul 7, 2014 10:34 AM

May 2009
I was honestly wishing there would have been a continueing series after the final one you know go further into the story actually see usagi get married. Having a remake of the original series seriously not needed.
Jul 7, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2009
konatafangrl said:
I was honestly wishing there would have been a continueing series after the final one you know go further into the story actually see usagi get married. Having a remake of the original series seriously not needed.

It is if the manga is as different from the first anime as a lot of people have said.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 7, 2014 11:13 AM

Jul 2007
konatafangrl said:

Its not remake of original series. Its re-adaptation of the manga. It has nothing to do with previous series.
Jul 7, 2014 1:03 PM

Mar 2013
I never watched the original in Japanese but gotta say Usagi's voice is annoying as fuck.
Jul 7, 2014 3:09 PM
Mar 2013
TRI_Mike said:
I never watched the original in Japanese but gotta say Usagi's voice is annoying as fuck.
Her voice sounds quite different from the original japanese version but it's been twenty years so it's not unexpected.

While I prefer her younger voice I don't necessarily hate this one. Maybe the voice was changed on purpose so that Usagi would more accurately reflect the manga.
Jul 7, 2014 3:26 PM

Sep 2009
WHY THEY HAVE LIPSTICK????????????????

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Jul 7, 2014 5:01 PM

Jun 2013
This was not as terrible as I was expecting it to be since my expectations were very low but...it was actually enjoyable save for her voice (Usagi's that is) and I have some mixed feelings with the CGI transformation sequence but aside form that, it was a nice episode...I was pleasantly surprised.

Nostalgia overdrive.
Jul 7, 2014 7:32 PM
Nov 2008
Alright, finally gotten my thoughts together for this.

This first episode delivered exactly what I expected, which is mostly a good thing. I can understand a measured response to this at first, it admittedly does follow the standard "first episode" cliches with your introductions and your setup and all that, and it's not too far off from the first episode of the classic anime when all's said and done.

As a general matter, the presentation satisfies me as here again expectations were met. I wasn't looking for the next Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, I knew about what to expect from Toei and I'd venture to say it's one of their better looking works overall. It's true character movement isn't particularly fluid and they take advantage of some static face shots where they can (welcome to anime, I say), but on the other hand this is early days and not very much happens in this first adventure. As the story expands and things escalate, who knows what we'll see? We've barely sampled stock footage so far. Meanwhile Takeuchi's designs are stylized and adapted for the screen well, the backgrounds and scenery are much more appealing than is the norm in their other productions, and overall I would say it comes off as getting more love than One Piece as it is now and certainly so compared to the recently completed Saint Seiya Omega, which by and large is unfortunately the epitome of a production done on the cheap.

It's kind of striking how completely they embrace this as a shoujo comic brought to life. There are flower frames from Utena and Tuxedo Mask got himself sparkly snapshots!

Getting back to the meat of the new adaptation, the important thing here is that its similarity to the start of the old anime is deceiving. Both series start out drawing on the first chapter of Takeuchi's manga but with a few exceptions like Usagi's beautifully realized dreams / visions, this episode is a thoroughly faithful recreation of the original comic. As if to emphasize the point, the episode title is the same as the title of chapter 1. This is perhaps most obvious with what's going on with Mamoru / Tuxedo Mask, whose portrayal fits his manga treatment while there is no rose throwing to be found. If they stick with doing a mostly strict adaptation this will hold few surprises for lovers of the manga, but whether they are indeed doing that or something a bit less faithful seems clear that they are embracing a portrayal of Takeuchi's characters the way she wrote them.

I'm very curious just how far they're going to go with the adaptation. If they were to actually continue adapting the manga at this approximate one-chapter-per-episode pace, Crystal's first run would end right at the conclusion of the second big arc of the 1990s anime (i.e. the end of Sailor Moon R). I'm unsure if that's the plan but that'd be a satisfying and palatable place to pause or stop, though I would of course prefer a complete adaptation. Of course, the first arc has a perfectly good ending also.
Jul 7, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
First episode!! I loved it!

Things I didn't care for:
1. Usagi's rubbery legs and arms during the transformation sequence. It's like she didn't have bones.
2. Their eyes! They are so huge and look so odd on their petite faces. On Luna, it's almost ridiculous. I don't think they look anything like the eyes in the manga.
3. They are also ridiculously thin. Thinner than in the manga.

Things I loved:
1. The way it follows the manga to a T. I was following along with the manga.
2. Ami looks like she'll be showing up next episode which means, no filler episodes! :D
3. It's actually back!

Even with the things I don't care for, I'm still so happy it's back. I guess I'm so use to the art of the old anime. I'll get use to this new art.

Also, if each episode is an act of the manga, it would bring us to the middle of the 8th book. That's not bad at all.
Jul 7, 2014 8:20 PM

May 2012
I haven't watched Sailor Moon since I was kid, which is basically forever ago. Having seen this masterpiece of a first episode, I must say, this show is unique in it's own right.

11/10 Anime of the Season material right here folks. Awesome show with awesomely crafted non-superficial characters and really bad ass villains, deep and engaging plot not meant for 8 year olds, best romantic build up I've ever seen, and really nice and not low budget art/animation. All this matched with A+ voice acting, especially with Usagi's character, which comes off extremely polished, well done, and not piercingly high pitched and annoying in the least bit.

In all seriousness, I'm not even sure why I'm watching this.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 7, 2014 8:43 PM

Dec 2012
The nostalgia was great on this one. I didn't like the transformation animation though.
Jul 7, 2014 9:01 PM

Aug 2009
TRI_Mike said:

She sounds really whiny. I don't remember her being that way. Overall I truly enjoyed this episode. Nostalgia at it's finest I swear!

Jul 8, 2014 1:03 AM

Aug 2007
I checked it out to see if it was going to be something special due to the significance of the original series. It left me underwhelmed. I'm ok with the character designs but the animation looks sloppy and I don't care for the cheap 3d crap
Jul 8, 2014 5:35 AM
Sep 2009
No superdeform, no fun.
Jul 8, 2014 11:35 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
konatafangrl said:

There is no need for a sequel since there is nothing else left. If the creator wanted to show a married Usagi, she could have done a oneshot.
Jul 8, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2009
I was absolutely excited to watch it! As most, I didn't like the transformation scene.

can not wait for the next episode. c:

Jul 8, 2014 3:03 PM

Feb 2011
Actually this was good, I can say even pretty good. Feeling such nostalgia is awesome. But the style of animation... similar and differ at the same time. Transformation is not as cool as it was in original series, but whatever... Just to have one more opportunity to refeel this everything is worth this transformation ^_^

And waiting for the next episode and Ami's appearance ^_^
Jul 8, 2014 4:07 PM
Aug 2012
haven't decided if I'm annoyed by Usagi's voice or if I love it. I bet it'll be the latter later. Anyway, was suuuuper pumped for this, and I was not displeased!
Jul 8, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 2007
...Is this really 26 episodes? I assume it won't include the outher senshi. No point in watching then.
Jul 8, 2014 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
What, Pluto's not an Outer? ;) Crystal maybe confirmed for both Dark Kingdom & Black Moon arcs due to the Japanese Bluray goodies: http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25205
Jul 8, 2014 11:34 PM

Jul 2007
Earwen said:
...Is this really 26 episodes? I assume it won't include the outher senshi. No point in watching then.

Since it covers first two story arcs, 13 episode each, both dealing with Crystal and
Jul 9, 2014 11:59 AM

Apr 2013
I remember, when I was young my sister would always watch Sailor Moon and I hated it. And now I'm sitting here, waiting a long time for this remake^^ I don't remember much of the old show, so I really can't compare it or anything. But god, it feels pretty nostalgic/old school^^ which is good? ...I guess?

But I always wondered, she looks exactly the same transformed as in usual clothes, but nobody recognizes her? She got a pretty distinctive look too with her twin tails! I know, I know, that's an anime/every sort of movie or series on TV thing^^
Jul 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
1cebear said:

But I always wondered, she looks exactly the same transformed as in usual clothes, but nobody recognizes her? She got a pretty distinctive look too with her twin tails! I know, I know, that's an anime/every sort of movie or series on TV thing^^

So far no one really got to SEE her, except for Mamoru/Tuxedo and
Jul 9, 2014 12:15 PM

Mar 2009
I AM SO AGAINST THOSE TWO ARCS IN ON SERIE OF 26 EPS !!

There's no room for the black moon clan in Sailor Moon Crystal, 26 eps is nice to rearrange the season classic of original Sailor Moon but including the Romance season in Crystal would let a funky aftertaste in my mouth !! seriously !!
Jul 9, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2007
13 chapters = Dark Kingdom
1 Chapters per Episode.
13 Episodes.
13-14 chapters Black Moon
1 chapters per episode
13 episodes
26 episodes.

Deal with it.gif
Jul 9, 2014 12:29 PM

Apr 2008
It was an alright episode. Felt a little more rushed than the original. The animation is going to take a bit to get used to but I feel like the transformation was done very poorly. It reminded me of the old CGI used for the Warp and Ultimate digivolutions from Digimon.
MischiefMaverickJul 9, 2014 12:38 PM

Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.