Forum Settings
Forums

Why are people afraid of posting their photos as profile pictures or avatars?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 7, 2009 12:28 PM

Jun 2008
<--...this IS a picture of me.

And also to keep the Internet from crashing. Bad enough I posted in the "SWYLL" thread.
Oct 7, 2009 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
I've posted quite a few pictures in the main thread for that. I like my current avatar more anyway; there's a picture of my in my profile anyway.
Oct 7, 2009 12:52 PM

Feb 2009
It`s not just MAL, I don`t use ME in personal details ANYwhere for good reason. There ARE assholes online.

Well I do you my real self on one sight, and that`s because it`s frequented by a totally different grade of audience.

When I`m only around to talk shop on a site like MAL, I`m not here to `meet`you personally. I`m happy with you all just being an odd name and an avatar image.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 7, 2009 12:57 PM

Oct 2008
Plate said:
Because they don't feel like seeing their face every time they post. I don't feel like seeing their face every time they post either.

Mine is my profile picture..xD So..ta-dah?
Oct 7, 2009 1:08 PM
Sep 2009
If you guys don't already know it's a VERY good idea to keep your internet life and social life separate. The less personal the better (I'm speaking from a crazy experience so believe me on this). It's one of the reasons why I have a new username. So while I am fairly handsome there's also not much reason for it.
Oct 7, 2009 1:41 PM

Sep 2009
I have no problem people knowing what I look like. My profile picture is me and I don't care if people think I'm ugly. It's mostly just because this is an anime site. I'd never use my picture as an avatar but I don't mind it for my profile in case people are curious or anything. Unless my face scares away new friends, then one of you should tell me so I can change it.
Oct 7, 2009 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
vytah said:
I'm not afraid, I'm just too lazy to find/shoot a good photo of myself.

Pretty much.
Oct 7, 2009 2:32 PM

Jul 2009
AlexisSolitaire said:
Once you post up your real pics, they could be used for other purposes by people with negative goals. Pictures these days can be edited and modified to look like something else to frame you etc, by using stuff like Gimp or Photoshop so who the hell in their right minds would post up their real pics (some do though).

Also, not everyone is confident of the way they look and some don't post real pix for privacy and cuz they wanna remain anon.

Oh, you mean like how I've jacked off to all my female friends through facebook pictures....yeh pretty much. Though if you have an anime profile pic you still might have people fap to it...jus sayin, this is MAL afterall (3-d = disgusting ^_^ )...

Gender Not specified

Might want to change that to female though...
NikoliOct 7, 2009 3:47 PM
Oct 7, 2009 3:44 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
I like my Over-G Achievement pic. But here i am:

Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Oct 7, 2009 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
tesiga2003 said:

There's a thread called Show us what you look like for posting pictures of yourself. Please go post there instead. This is a discussion about why people don't use pics of themselves, not for sharing pics of yourself.
Oct 7, 2009 3:53 PM

Oct 2009
i have had stalker problems in the past so no photos for me!
Oct 7, 2009 4:08 PM

Apr 2007
I'm somewhat concerned, should someone connect the dots on who I really am, that my professed fondness on MAL for shameless mahou shoujo would deleteriously affect my standing within the College of Cardinals and Roman Curia.
Oct 7, 2009 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
Iri said:
I'm somewhat concerned, should someone connect the dots on who I really am, that my professed fondness on MAL for shameless mahou shoujo would deleteriously affect my standing within the College of Cardinals and Roman Curia.

I wouldn't worry about it, but then again I don't get it either.
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Oct 7, 2009 5:01 PM

Jan 2009
Cuz everyone is ugly
Oct 7, 2009 5:15 PM

Apr 2009
im ugly but i still post photos
Oct 7, 2009 9:12 PM
Jan 2009
Asteriks said:
Cause they're ugly?
Cause they're shy?
Cause they're afraid someone will kill them if they're seen IRL?

I'd say it's because of first two options. [...]

+ You don't know what people do with these photos. You shouldn't post videos of yourself on the internet for the same reason, and don't make too many personal information public. You should always keep a good distance to all these social networks. Many forget that rule and keep wondering why no company wants to give them a job (they search for pictures, videos and other information of you on the internet) or why they become semi-famous (doing stupid stuff, filming yourself, putting it on YouTube or similar sites).
31fasdfdyxOct 7, 2009 9:27 PM
Oct 7, 2009 9:15 PM

Aug 2008
Asako said:
tesiga2003 said:

There's a thread called Show us what you look like for posting pictures of yourself. Please go post there instead. This is a discussion about why people don't use pics of themselves, not for sharing pics of yourself.

That thread is worthless -- because -- people overly comment on it. Thus, pics of people end up being buried.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Oct 7, 2009 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
KyuuA4 said:
That thread is worthless -- because -- people overly comment on it. Thus, pics of people end up being buried.

That doesn't mean you can go starting the same here. It would just end up merged with the existing thread, which defeats the point of this original discussion about why people don't use them. A topic that has worth as it is interesting from a sociological point of view.
Oct 7, 2009 9:40 PM

Aug 2008
Asako said:
KyuuA4 said:

That doesn't mean you can go starting the same here. It would just end up merged with the existing thread, which defeats the point of this original discussion about why people don't use them. A topic that has worth as it is interesting from a sociological point of view.

I'll just recommend the utilization of such a thread for pictures only ... but no commenting. If you want an example, I can provide you with one. :D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Oct 7, 2009 9:59 PM

Nov 2007
KyuuA4 said:
I'll just recommend the utilization of such a thread for pictures only ... but no commenting. If you want an example, I can provide you with one. :D

Feel free to make a club and moderate it yourself. I doubt you'll ever get any forum mods to agree to delete all commenting from such a picture thread.
Oct 7, 2009 11:11 PM

Aug 2009
Simply one word, PRIVACY.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Oct 7, 2009 11:32 PM

Jul 2008
*Posts to see what his avatar is.*

EDIT: Hum I haven't updated that in a long time.

Back on topic, I don't use mine because I don't like to look at my face every time I post, though I guess that would fix my problem of forgetting what my avatar is.
Oct 8, 2009 12:39 AM

Jul 2009
2 reasons
exospectral said:

2. i have no pictures of myself on this computer

Oct 8, 2009 3:15 PM

Jul 2008
I'm not afraid I just don't want to. durrr. :P

I am the senpai that notices you.

Oct 8, 2009 4:46 PM

Oct 2009
I don't have a problem with using a pic of myself, but it's just that anime characters are a lot cuter than I am, y'know?
Oct 8, 2009 4:48 PM

Jan 2009
Because this is an anime site, so i came here to discuss my hobby. I didn't come her to show pictures of myself to people.
Oct 8, 2009 4:59 PM

Oct 2008
I was using a picture of myself until i got moaned at by some1 on the forums, who where probably jealous of my abs and looks.

But no i haven't any problem with using a pic of myself, because let's face it you cant change wot you look like so why be scared of showing who you are to the world.
Oct 8, 2009 5:02 PM

Apr 2009
oh believe me im not, AT ALL.

in fact im glad with how i look :D, but its not a facebook or myspace : )

anime only, but i wouldnt mind to send a picture if someone asked though
Oct 8, 2009 5:03 PM

Apr 2008
retnoblastoma said:
I don't have a problem with using a pic of myself, but it's just that anime characters are a lot cuter than I am, y'know?
don't worry. anime characters are a lot cuter than everyone I know.

Oct 8, 2009 5:05 PM

Apr 2009
Saitoe said:
retnoblastoma said:
not me im the hottest guy on mal : )

but ur a guy so it wouldnt matter anyway unless ur gay
:D
Oct 8, 2009 5:11 PM

Apr 2008
Beef_Whistle said:
Garuda said:
Saitoe said:
retnoblastoma said:

Indigo is the hottest guy on mal, you are not him.
Baby Naruto would like to speak to you.

He is not afraid to use a picture of himself as a profile pic.

Oct 8, 2009 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
I for one am not a narcissist and have no desire to show my picture to all the world.

Likewise people can get stalked through the internet. If they see what you look like and like what they see they can obtain your IP and track you down that way. More than likely they would have to hack MAL and at best the IP might show what neighborhood or street you live on but not which house.

extremely unlikely especially on MAL.
Its far more likely someone from your school/work would see you and possibly use things you said against you. Like the woman that got fired because of things she said on her twitter account.

now stalking through My space and other sites like that would be far more productive as there are far more members and you could more than likely find lots of "targets/victims" nearby.

In the end its best to be cautious. because lots of people will screw you..
Oct 8, 2009 6:20 PM

Jul 2009
TheFramedAngel said:
I was using a picture of myself until i got moaned at by some1 on the forums, who where probably jealous of my abs and looks.

But no i haven't any problem with using a pic of myself, because let's face it you cant change wot you look like so why be scared of showing who you are to the world.

Or maybe people don't like seeing a 155 lbs. scrawny, malnourished kid with a "6 pack"....only swole people can post shirtless pictures of themselves...or attractive women, in which case you are neither.
NikoliOct 8, 2009 6:23 PM
Oct 8, 2009 6:22 PM

Apr 2009
Beef_Whistle said:
Garuda said:
Saitoe said:
retnoblastoma said:

nah dont know him, but he cant look better them me.
Oct 8, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
Beef_Whistle said:
Garuda said:
Beef_Whistle said:
Garuda said:
Saitoe said:
retnoblastoma said:

nah dont know him, but he cant look better them me.

post in the show us what you looks like thread Narcissus.

LMAO, im kidding about being the hottest guy on mal offcourse, but im glad with how i look.

http://www.djgaruda.hyves.nl scroll down for pictures :p

and at the photos with more persons on it, im the less ugliest xD

and yeah, go on call me ugly now un puropose just because i said that i was hot :p

i dont mind call me ugly :p
Oct 8, 2009 6:33 PM

Apr 2009
Hmmm...Cuz I have friends that go on this site, and sometimes you let out a little too much info. when you expect no one that you know in real life will read it and know that it's you.
Of course it's kinda dumb cuz if they do know me and know I use this site, they could know easily from my user-name or profile info.....>.>

Oct 8, 2009 6:36 PM

Apr 2009
Orio94 said:
Hmmm...Cuz I have friends that go on this site, and sometimes you let out a little too much info. when you expect no one that you know in real life will read it and know that it's you.
Of course it's kinda dumb cuz if they do know me and know I use this site, they could know easily from my user-name or profile info.....>.>

well i would say, yea and? im on MAL so what now xD?

and then they will shut up lol. 100% sure of it
Oct 8, 2009 7:07 PM
Jul 2009
for me, it's just a purpose to keep my profile low since i'm planning on to become the future comic artist.

There's a reason, some ppl they are not very comfortable with their appearance/ lack of confidence.
Oct 8, 2009 7:09 PM

Jun 2009
exospectral said:

this is really the truth.
Really though why should you care who is behind my avatar of Undertaker>?

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 8, 2009 7:11 PM

Aug 2009
Look at my profile pic ~.~
Oct 8, 2009 7:14 PM

Apr 2009
Beef_Whistle said:
Meh, you look alright. I thought you would look like a model. You're average nothing special about you. But you got a little ass head.

thats so funny, i knew you would say something like that, but i dont mind.

i know how the truth is ; )

and you can DREAM on
Oct 8, 2009 7:27 PM

Apr 2009
Beef_Whistle said:
Woah, dude your ego is super inflated.

nah i just know that i dont have a shit face, but you call me that, it was 100% because i said i was hot before xD

i knew you where gonna say something like that, but i dont mind it always goes like this on internet when your having such a discussion :p

but lets just say that i never had problems with in real life : )
Oct 8, 2009 7:30 PM
Jan 2009
I'm not a camwhore=/

And I'm also ugly >_>
Oct 8, 2009 7:34 PM

Jul 2009
Garuda said:
Beef_Whistle said:
Woah, dude your ego is super inflated.

nah i just know that i dont have a shit face, but you call me that, it was 100% because i said i was hot before xD

i knew you where gonna say something like that, but i dont mind it always goes like this on internet when your having such a discussion :p

but lets just say that i never had problems with in real life : )

Location Netherlands

= Eurodouchebag

I know how the dutchies operate, spent too much time with them on irc :/
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.