Forum Settings
Forums

Why are people afraid of posting their photos as profile pictures or avatars?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 12, 2009 7:34 AM

Dec 2008
shylovegrisha said:
A photo of myself is in the About Me section of my profile. When I first came to the site I did have my photo up as profile pic but noticed most didn't, and most especially I didn't like the search factor showing it up all the time, or if I posted comments to have it there on people's pages.

If someone wants to see me, they can come to my page and read about me as well. Just having my pic up among a group of people where lot of judgements can be quickly made for good or ill based solely on appearance, I decided against having it up generally. It's just a matter of personal privacy and preference, plus what kind of website it is. On almost every other website I am a part of, I place my photo up as profile pic no problem at all, but then those are travel websites or specifically for friends I can control who views my info and pics, like Facebook.

mightykid218 said:
[
maykipz said:
Every time I see someone who has a picture of themselves as their profile picture I kind of snort and ignore them. No one wants to see your attempt at being attractive.

Well that's a silly, almost douchey assumption. I could name hundreds of reasons for using your own picture in your profile, forum, etc. that don't involve that kind of egotism at all. The only one worth listing though, is "just because." Not everyone who uses their face gives a shit if the other users find them attractive. Speaking as someone who used their own face, something about it being my profile made me think I should use my own face on it, especially since there was plenty of anime on the page itself already. The majority of comments I've gotten on the picture are actually bad. But I don't really give a shit at all.

maykipz response is just the typical of immature, and extremely juvenile crap of why I don't have my photo up generally. Because everyone is not like that. Seems maykipz has some self-esteem issues and is trying to put other people down. Mightykid made interesting truth reply. Some of us could care less what other people think, because what possible difference will their online opinion have in our life??! ha!

I will also say, since I go to different language websites, English (American, Australian), German, Russian, Japanese, Finnish, whatever I find of interest...I've noticed that on more American sites people tend to NOT put up their own photos, while compared to German websites for example, people do put up their own photos. Comparatively I think they accept how they look, good or bad, their individuality, etc. and don't care as much what others MIGHT think or assume about them.

I'm glad that I put a two sentence comment and immediately I'm immature, juvenile and I have self-esteem issues. That was really kind of a joke. While it's true that I don't like when people put a picture of themselves as their profile picture, I'm not saying they're all trying to be attractive. I'm just not to into the whole bit where people seem to think MAL is Facebook/MySpace + Anime.

That's just how I feel about it. If you think I'm immature, juvenile and that I have self-esteem issues because of it, well, that's your opinion.
Oct 12, 2009 8:09 AM

Oct 2009
Let's not turn a simple question into a flame war.

To be honest, i posted mine because most have anime pictures as their photo. I'm a nonconformist at heart.
Oct 12, 2009 8:38 AM

Aug 2009
Asteriks said:
Why are people afraid of posting their photos as profile pictures or avatars?

Because some people aren't fags
Oct 12, 2009 8:41 AM

Jun 2008
Probably the sole fact that according to everybody's parents, everybody on the internet is a 40 year old pedophile who has a large amount of money who is willing to travel across the world to get to you and come to your house and forcibly have sex with you. And like it or not, you're influenced by your parents just a tid-bit in regards to the "YOU GUN GET RAPED" bits of life.

He can gain enough information to do this just by seeing a picture of you.
I'm back.
Oct 12, 2009 8:44 AM

Aug 2009
Kags_the_great said:
Probably the sole fact that according to everybody's parents, everybody on the internet is a 40 year old pedophile who has a large amount of money who is willing to travel across the world to get to you and come to your house and forcibly have sex with you.

That's me irl
Oct 12, 2009 8:54 AM

Aug 2009
Asteriks said:
Cause they're ugly?
Cause they're shy?
Cause they're afraid someone will kill them if they're seen IRL?

I'd say it's because of first two options.

I mean who cares if you're not so good looking like me, we are all here because we're connected in something we love - anime, and manga.

So, from today on, I'll never use anime avatars, and profile pictures, simply because I'm too beautiful for that. :)

I wish to remain anonymous and I post on different websites and different forums. One ugly nerd could be a stalker's fantasy or you could unintentionally piss off some degenerate who may wish to get revenge against you.
Oct 12, 2009 9:00 AM

Aug 2009
smdinosaur said:
I don't want to be stalked.

this is coming from the person with the pedobear avatar. irony sweet irony. =P
Oct 12, 2009 1:28 PM
Mar 2008
Because I'm ugly and this icon better depicts how I'd like to be seen.
Oct 12, 2009 1:36 PM

Jan 2008
-Spooky- said:
smdinosaur said:

He doesnt want to be stalked by the FBI.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 12, 2009 6:31 PM

Sep 2009
thanner said:
Why not?

I think it's nice when people comment on my hair :D

nice hair! :)
Oct 12, 2009 6:32 PM

Apr 2009
i prefer the anime avatar.
Oct 12, 2009 10:09 PM

Jul 2008
I have a picture of myself, I rather have that then covering my falsehood using an anime. I dunno I really do not care what people think about me, I am not really a self conscious person.
Oct 12, 2009 10:42 PM
Mar 2009
Dunno. Probably because I love anime pictures more than I love my face^^
I don't have one.
Oct 13, 2009 12:05 AM

Jun 2009
thanner said:
Why not?

now now. we needn't prove the poster who said all of us using our faces are fishing for compliments right..although, it does appear quite malleable. I'm jealous, given the matter mess my hair is at that length.
-Spooky- said:
smdinosaur said:

hey now. pedobear does not STALK, he BEFRIENDS young and innocent children. Let's not tarnish a good bears reputation over nothing. He's really a good guy, srsly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Oct 13, 2009 12:51 AM

Mar 2009
Well, I have my own photo as my profile photo, but have a gif from an anime for my forum avatar, so I guess I just fall into both categories? and...

thanner said:

Dude, nice hair!
Oct 13, 2009 1:22 AM

Aug 2008
Tessa is fractionally cuter than I, hence, she gets featured instead.
Oct 13, 2009 1:26 AM

Sep 2009
if there is more space to include more pictures, there will probably be more people posting their photos.
Without it, some people had hard time choosing to post their favorite anime picture or their own photos.
Oct 13, 2009 5:50 PM

Aug 2009
AnbuShinji said:
ugh you make so much sense.. and you dont gota be so straight about it you sound mean lol...
dont send me comments...

dude i aint gonna beat round bush bout shit tbh, may aswell tell it straight like it is, puls i dont care what people think i sound like cus tbh if people get to know me im actually a nice person up to them how they take my honesty
and babe dont flatter yourself i wouldnt send you any comments
Oct 13, 2009 5:53 PM

Jun 2008
lozabelle said:
AnbuShinji said:
ugh you make so much sense.. and you dont gota be so straight about it you sound mean lol...
dont send me comments...

dude i aint gonna beat round bush bout shit tbh, may aswell tell it straight like it is, puls i dont care what people think i sound like cus tbh if people get to know me im actually a nice person up to them how they take my honesty
and babe dont flatter yourself i wouldnt send you any comments

"Houston, we got a troll"
Sverige är ärorikt, såsom jag :-]
Oct 13, 2009 6:05 PM

Apr 2009
Because it's easier to google an anime pic than upload a photo.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Oct 13, 2009 6:39 PM

Jan 2009
I rather have a anime avatar or picture any day then seeing myself.
Oct 13, 2009 6:41 PM

Sep 2009
because i liky my avatar :O

Oct 13, 2009 7:30 PM

Jun 2008
....no real reason for me, guess just that i'm not real big on giving out personal info to random people
Oct 14, 2009 2:47 AM

Mar 2009
Because that's what anime avatars are for.
Oct 14, 2009 2:57 AM

Oct 2008
Beatnik said:
Rebella said:
Here's a funny story about posting pics online. I used to be a forum bitch and kinda arrogant and a group of guys used to hate me. Once I posted my pics and they liked how I look I was "a forum babe" again.

This is pretty typical behaviour. Another example: I'm a member of a forum which consists of 90% guys who are always mean to each other, but as soon as they find out another member is a female, they're always polite and nice to her. Pathetic! (they dont give a shit about manners, they just want to imagine the female giving them attention and ultimately letting them into her pants one day)

True. Most guys think the purpose of chatting with women online is either to have a girlfriend or a wife. They don't believe in friendship between a man and a woman. The minute a nice girl gives attention to a guy, single or not, he starts thinking seriously about her.
I understand that since many people believe online relationships don't count as having a "social circle" and they want to come out of it with something but still.

And I agree with whoever said myanimelist.com is more about anime than socializing. We have facebook and other social networks for that.
Oct 14, 2009 3:18 AM

Sep 2009
Rebella said:
Beatnik said:
Rebella said:
Here's a funny story about posting pics online. I used to be a forum bitch and kinda arrogant and a group of guys used to hate me. Once I posted my pics and they liked how I look I was "a forum babe" again.

This is pretty typical behaviour. Another example: I'm a member of a forum which consists of 90% guys who are always mean to each other, but as soon as they find out another member is a female, they're always polite and nice to her. Pathetic! (they dont give a shit about manners, they just want to imagine the female giving them attention and ultimately letting them into her pants one day)

True. Most guys think the purpose of chatting with women online is either to have a girlfriend or a wife. They don't believe in friendship between a man and a woman. The minute a nice girl gives attention to a guy, single or not, he starts thinking seriously about her.
I understand that since many people believe online relationships don't count as having a "social circle" and they want to come out of it with something but still.

And I agree with whoever said myanimelist.com is more about anime than socializing. We have facebook and other social networks for that.

Oct 14, 2009 3:20 AM
Nov 2007
I used to have it, but I got scared people might track me down :P
Oct 14, 2009 3:37 AM

Oct 2008
dirtbag8 said:
Rebella said:
Beatnik said:
Rebella said:

LOL that was a pick up line.
He said "cute" netbook. He should've used a different word.
If, instead of the girl, a guy was holding the laptop, would the other guy still say a "cute" laptop? ;)
Oct 14, 2009 3:43 AM

Sep 2009
girls have tendency to get cute stuff, so its also logical tht her laptop is cute because of stickers or what not, well idk ;p
Oct 14, 2009 3:54 AM

Oct 2008
yeah right ;P^^ would he say it to a guy with my little pony stickers on his laptop? Unless he's gay he wouldn't which brings me back to my point that most guys can't be "just friends" with girls.
Oct 14, 2009 10:22 PM

Aug 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
lozabelle said:
tbh i would rather know who im speaking cus it could be a 40year old pervert never know with the internet.
it doesnt matter what kind of site it is only people who are ashamed dont post a picture of themselves
Uh, no. That's like saying people who exercise their 4th amendment (USA) rights have something to hide. And It's not like it hard to find a picture, just throw it up, and say you're that person, and still be a 40 year old pervert.

Personally, since I'm the one on my profile the most I get the biggest vote as to what goes on there, and I like looking at hot, and right now angry, chicks slightly more than myself.

babe an anime pic how can it look how? its a drawing, not real. doesnt look hot. i dont get why people would feel comfortable talking to people if they duno what they look like. its immaturaty to use a cartoon pic as you pic like little 13yr old kids do, can at least post a pic in a blog at minimum
Oct 15, 2009 1:20 AM
Nov 2007
^ There's no need to comment on one's control of the English language, particularly when it's done in a mocking manner. In fact, it's embarrassing when your comment is plastered with mistakes. :)

For instance:
Usually I wouldn't trudge though such non-grammar to pick apart some stupid points, but I'm bored.

Anyway...
i dont get why people would feel comfortable talking to people if they duno what they look like.

Most people don't need to know what someone else looks like in places like MAL. The reason being is that most people simply don't care.

its immaturaty to use a cartoon pic as you pic like little 13yr old kids do, can at least post a pic in a blog at minimum

It's immature? How? I think people who nitpick the wrongs of others are perhaps highlighting their own immaturity.

it doesnt matter what kind of site it is only people who are ashamed dont post a picture of themselves

Smart people have reasons and opinions. Ignorant people, on the other hand... well, you'd be ignorant not to know.

On a final note, lozabelle, I saved your MAL and MySpace profile pictures into my desktop. Hope you don't mind if I keep it. I wish to use them in a perverted manner. :P
radiantfireOct 15, 2009 1:24 AM
Oct 15, 2009 12:13 PM

Jun 2008
Rebella said:
yeah right ;P^^ would he say it to a guy with my little pony stickers on his laptop? Unless he's gay he wouldn't which brings me back to my point that most guys can't be "just friends" with girls.

Sorry, but this is bullshit(yeah i don't give a shit if you are female). When you talk through the Internet you can be friends with anyone male or female.
So if am talking to a cute girl on the internet it means i'm trying to get in to her pants?
That's ridiculous.
The girl is leaving on the other side of the fucking planet. Even if she thinks am the most awesome guy in the world we will never meet each other and have sexual relationships because simply it's impossible to have a real relationship with someone living far away.
I must be an idiot to believe i will ever have a relationship with her. So why will i flatter her if i find what she says annoying? I don't think am gone lose the sex that there was no way i will get anyway.
MonadOct 15, 2009 12:17 PM
Oct 15, 2009 1:09 PM
Nov 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Intelligence and ignorance are antonymous. Ergo, you either meant "Informed people have reasons and opinions. Ignorant people, on the other hand... well, you'd be ignorant not to know." or, "Smart people have reasons and opinions. Stupid people, on the other hand... well, you'd be stupid not to know."

As an aside everyone has opinions even, especially perhaps, stupid/ignorant people. Everyone has "reasons" too, I assume you meant reasons for what they think.

The reason why I said that was simply because I didn't want to offend the girl by implying she was stupid.
Oct 15, 2009 3:46 PM

Aug 2009
Monad said:
Rebella said:

Sorry, but this is bullshit(yeah i don't give a shit if you are female). When you talk through the Internet you can be friends with anyone male or female.
So if am talking to a cute girl on the internet it means i'm trying to get in to her pants?
That's ridiculous.
The girl is leaving on the other side of the fucking planet. Even if she thinks am the most awesome guy in the world we will never meet each other and have sexual relationships because simply it's impossible to have a real relationship with someone living far away.
I must be an idiot to believe i will ever have a relationship with her. So why will i flatter her if i find what she says annoying? I don't think am gone lose the sex that there was no way i will get anyway.

i've made boyfriends from the internet, whom i obviously met in real life as well.

yes, all you desperate guys out there, it IS possible to get real, live 3D sex from a girl on the internet, without cybering.
Oct 15, 2009 3:48 PM

Mar 2009
rapists

cumshot pics on 4chan

photoshoped nakedness doing sexy taim with a horse.

etc
Oct 15, 2009 3:50 PM

Aug 2009
NEVER-BEND-HER said:
rapists

cumshot pics on 4chan

etc

dats nothin, i've had my real nudes spammed on 420chan. :x

if you're upset about having fake nudes photoshopped with your face..

you're a PUSSY
Oct 15, 2009 3:56 PM

Mar 2009
leopardskin said:
NEVER-BEND-HER said:
rapists

cumshot pics on 4chan

etc

dats nothin, i've had my real nudes spammed on 420chan. :x

if you're upset about having fake nudes photoshopped with your face..

you're a PUSSY

true dat.
Oct 15, 2009 4:26 PM
Nov 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Well it ended up going that way anyway it seems, so why beat around the bush? Trying to get in her pants? Heh.
As if I'm trying to get in her pants, lol. There was no need to make such a comment.

Anyway, our conversation is going off-topic. If you want to continue, feel free to PM me.
Oct 15, 2009 4:33 PM

Jun 2008
leopardskin said:

yes, all you desperate guys out there, it IS possible to get real, live 3D sex from a girl on the internet, without cybering.

Lol there are so many things wrong with this sentence i don't even know were to begin.

O! yeah and you think too much of your self woman. Why do you think there are desperate guys looking for your pussy through the internet?
MonadOct 15, 2009 4:38 PM
Oct 15, 2009 4:52 PM

Dec 2007
Hey guys what's goin on
Oct 15, 2009 4:56 PM
Nov 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
To me anything that vaguely results in discussion in this spamfest of a forum is "on-topic", and PMs, now don't anyone get their panties in a twist over this, they seem like something a coward would do, in this context.

Also my comment was clearly a joke, the latter half anyway.

lol. A coward runs away. Completely opposite to what I proposed.

Since we're spamming, a private conversation would be better. Your perspective on what is "on-topic" isn't wrong, but it doesn't compliment MAL forum rules. Hence, the reason why I proposed PMing. Not only that, I also don't need users here to observe how awesome I am at arguing or making comebacks. Only egoists crave for that kind of self-publicity. :)

So again, PM me if you want to continue.
radiantfireOct 15, 2009 5:00 PM
Oct 15, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2009
Monad said:
leopardskin said:

Lol there are so many things wrong with this sentence i don't even know were to begin.

O! yeah and you think too much of your self woman. Why do you think there are desperate guys looking for your pussy through the internet?

i never once said MY pussy.

i said it was possible for men to get girlfriends through the internet, which they can later on fuck in real life.
Oct 16, 2009 11:12 PM

Aug 2009
back 2 subject, i put up my photo on my profile, just for you, MAL<3
Oct 16, 2009 11:41 PM
Oct 2008
This isn't facebook. The is weeaboobook.
Oct 17, 2009 12:11 AM

Aug 2009
Rizzaistlin said:
This isn't facebook. The is weeaboobook.

weaboobook.. sounds like a lame version of jungle book.

welp, cus of this thread, i now have my face on my weabook.

i re-named it weabook because it looks trendy.
Oct 17, 2009 12:56 AM

Nov 2007
I think this thread has more than served its purpose and decayed beyond recovery. Locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.