Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2014 7:54 PM

Sep 2013
SEASON 3 XD PLEASE ;)
Jul 2, 2014 8:04 PM

Aug 2013
Sasuga KyoAni. Secondhand embarrassment for club recruiting event tho (rLY IWATOBI GIRLS RLY? You don't think them muscles are ~*~*~*~*FABULOUS*~*~*~*~??)

And oh heyyy so there will be more RinRei judging from OP? (I guess...) :DDDD
Jul 2, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2012
Sourire said:
the recruitment scene on the stage.. so awkward.

This.

I was hoping for some more Makoto service. Disappoint.
Jul 2, 2014 8:16 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode, I'm so glad I decided to pick up Free! last week.

*Gou looking like she has a brother complex near the end, lol.

*Awesome OP/ED.

*Sooooo, is that Sousuke dude Rin's dad or what?

*LMFAO when the crowd went blank after Rei went up.
Jul 2, 2014 8:18 PM

Oct 2013
it's back!!!!!!!!!! Was smiling all the way watching this!!!
Jul 2, 2014 8:18 PM
May 2014
It's nice to have such a non-douche-y Rin. I mean, he was always a hot guy, but he was kind of a douche-y hot guy. Now he's a not-so-douche-y hot guy with some....uh....sick dance moves. XD
Jul 2, 2014 8:46 PM

Mar 2013
That was a perfect first episode. Beautiful animation, and really amazing op and ed.
I didn't know i needed an officer police Rin until I saw it with my own eyes.
That was a really sexy hips movement, lmfao.
I'm so excited for this season, and I'm definitely happy to see my babies again.
Jul 2, 2014 9:07 PM

Apr 2014
Oh my God, that was actually… Pretty good??

I wasn't expecting much considering first season was lackluster overdramatic fluff, but this is amazing. Thoroughly entertaining, some actual subtlety, and the ending is yes pls 10/10. No complaints.

(Except for the fact that Rin and Haru to breathe underwater?? Lol "sports"?)

Rin = so far best character. Sousuke = hopefully best character. Doesn't he look just like a Swimming Version of Abe Takaya from Oofuri? *__*
Jul 2, 2014 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
Everything I was hoping for and then some more!! I loved the music in the series, the OP isn't as catchy as the first season's but it's growing on me and as always I love the imagery in the animation and can't wait to figure it out more as the season progresses (Mikoshiba's liittle brother???)

THAT ENDING THOUGH LOL. Just when I thought I couldn't squeal and fangirl anymore that ending proved me wrong XD I loved it and the absolute ridiculousness of it all, just like we all wanted. Kyoani sure does know their fanservice (that club introduction, those first years don't know what they're missing out on)

I'm a lot more interested in the Samezuka side of the story right now. They weren't the main focus of the first season but it seems like with the new characters hinted in the OP that will change? Looking forward to seeing Sosuke and Rin as kids in the next episode!!
Jul 2, 2014 9:47 PM

Oct 2012
Amarrez said:

Can someone help me? Whilst watching this gif I seem to have misplaced my heterosexuality.

^ this
--

I liked the character distribution this time. They were all equaled out, unlike last time.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jul 2, 2014 10:10 PM

Nov 2007
You guys ruined this thread! Anyways, FREE! is back! Which means... Ready. Steady. Gou! <3
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 2, 2014 10:13 PM

Apr 2011
All this manservice is hilarious. Everything I missed from the first season is back without missing a beat.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jul 2, 2014 10:47 PM
Jun 2013
Awesome start! But is there some hint of romance between Gou and the guys or does she just like seeing nice bodies?

Jul 2, 2014 10:56 PM

Jun 2009
mayukachan said:
Sasuke10271994 said:
And guys, GUYS, Nitori finally swam. I hope we get more Nitori from this season.

He was kind of annoying in the last season but I'm really liking him in this season so far!

Whenever someone jokes "notice me senpai"...I hear it in his voice...a real bummer.
Jul 2, 2014 11:01 PM

Jul 2012
kelken said:
mayukachan said:

He was kind of annoying in the last season but I'm really liking him in this season so far!

Whenever someone jokes "notice me senpai"...I hear it in his voice...a real bummer.

You should see his voice actor play the perfect kouhai in Meganebu!. It's even worse than Ai.
Jul 2, 2014 11:06 PM

Jul 2010
Hehehe. My weekly dose of sexy is back.

Have to say I loved all the fanservice this ep. It's just so fun, and carefree, especially now that all the Rin tension has subsided. I guess we'll be delving into the characters' futures more this season, which is totally fine with me. I honestly couldn't see Haru as anything other than a professional swimmer. It's totally hot how Rin's objective is to set Haru on fire. xD
Makoto, on the other hand...I could totally see him as a veterinarian. That would be hella cute.

I was never a huge fan of Free, but I'm glad to see it back. Beautiful animation, sexy dudes, lots of laughs. Can't wait for next week!

Police officer Rin was pretty hot. But I have to say, nothing can top the first season ED. That was pure gold, and I knew we wouldn't get something up to that god-level.
Jul 2, 2014 11:08 PM

Jun 2009
mayukachan said:
kelken said:

You should see his voice actor play the perfect kouhai in Meganebu!. It's even worse than Ai.

I watched Meganebu! (mostly for the colors). Now that you've mentioned it the characters are merging in my MINDDDD AHHHHHHH!!!! Both characters even have favorites in MAL, I don't understand T^T
Jul 2, 2014 11:11 PM
Jan 2013
I like how they recruit new swim club members with their muscles lol. Makoto's blush omg

Who is this new transfer student what. Transfer students are never good :P

ED is hilarious. Mermaid Haruka :D
Jul 2, 2014 11:17 PM

Jul 2012
kelken said:
I watched Meganebu! (mostly for the colors). Now that you've mentioned it the characters are merging in my MINDDDD AHHHHHHH!!!! Both characters even have favorites in MAL, I don't understand T^T

I watched it for the glasses as a proud megane 8) but yeah they have similar characters ahaha
Jul 2, 2014 11:26 PM

Jun 2009

I watched it for the glasses as a proud megane 8) but yeah they have similar characters ahaha

lol I have about 9 or 10 pair of glasses myself. I'm super nearsighted. Feel naked w/o my frames XD
Jul 3, 2014 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
Oddly enough, after hating the first season, I'm really liking this so far. Has a good vibe and atmosphere to it.
Jul 3, 2014 12:13 AM

May 2010
I dare say Rin is gonna catch up to Makoto's popularity. Like I am seeing a lot of potential in him this season.
Jul 3, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2014
finally the gangs are back!!!
i really missed these guys so baaadd ;_;

i wonder who is this Sousuke?? his seiyuu is my favorite: Hosoya Yoshimasa!
i hope this Sousuke's personality is not bad

it's better than 1st season, i guess. because Rin is better and nicer :)
Can't wait for the next episode~~~

5/5
♪ Do re mi fa pupupu, waa~~ ♪
Jul 3, 2014 12:26 AM

Jan 2014
So Gou wants to take pictures of her brother getting undressed...
Jul 3, 2014 1:02 AM
Mar 2010
Kurogashi said:
why is guo covered up in every scene... COME ON!!!

Because this anime is targeted at fujoshi and female otaku? Just like how the single hot male character who you sometimes find in harem anime usually is covered up too. Its aimed at guys.
phoenixaliaJul 3, 2014 1:06 AM
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 3, 2014 1:31 AM

Dec 2011
I enjoyed the first ep, it was fun to see Free again.
Jul 3, 2014 1:46 AM

Aug 2013
Amarrez said:

Can someone help me? Whilst watching this gif I seem to have misplaced my heterosexuality.

Preach it.^

MEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA I liked the episode toward the ending more :DD I really don't like how they added a new character that attends the same school as Rin.. i prefer he goes to Iwatobi ):
Jul 3, 2014 2:11 AM

Sep 2010
kikohunter said:
precious said:

that is because some people can't accept fanservice revolving around guys, but if it's females showing off their tits etc. it's "alright"...
I won't question that logic but I've seen it so many times.. xD

They'te both the same as you acknowledged so why are they both treated differently? We both know those shows with girls flashing their tits are mediocre. So why is this show about fanservice for girls considered like the second coming of Jesus and being rated 9-10 by every girl that has her panties a little wet from watchinf this average show? I don't care about the manservice from this show but I do care that it's overrated like SAO and Black Bullet from the last season.

Well and who are you to decide that this Show is overrated? I'm a Guy (not gay like i said) and i've voted this 8 for now.. (will most likely stay that way).
Jul 3, 2014 3:00 AM

Dec 2011
So Free! starts again!

Haruka x Water once again lol.

"His triceps are staring at me" LOOOL, you so silly Kou!

Ok... clearly you won't be getting any new members like that lol... everyone will think you're just weirdos XD.

It kinda annoys me how Haruka doesn't care about anything else except swimming, nor his time/winning.

Nice opening episode to this 2nd season.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 3, 2014 3:14 AM

Sep 2012
sibbo7 said:
kikohunter said:

They'te both the same as you acknowledged so why are they both treated differently? We both know those shows with girls flashing their tits are mediocre. So why is this show about fanservice for girls considered like the second coming of Jesus and being rated 9-10 by every girl that has her panties a little wet from watchinf this average show? I don't care about the manservice from this show but I do care that it's overrated like SAO and Black Bullet from the last season.

Well and who are you to decide that this Show is overrated? I'm a Guy (not gay like i said) and i've voted this 8 for now.. (will most likely stay that way).

The problem with Free for me it's not the manservice but how the characters are written most of them so far have two characteristics they all love swimming and love there friends, the other problem i have is that most of are main characters act more like high school girls than boys this is funny sometimes but makes the characters a lot more emotional and that leeds to pointless melo drama like the whole bonding between Haru and Rin in the first season was way too over dramatic and that made it drag on even though everyone knew how that conflict between Rin and Haru gonna end they focused so much on those two characters and made the other characters more like support or comic relief. I think that what makes this show ''Gay'' for some people not the fanservice still as i said before i don't hate the show it's a fun slice of life sports show with beautiful animation is it as good as the fans of Free say it is no it's not, is it as bad as people who hate Free say no it's not, so stop this pointless argument and agree to disagree.
Jul 3, 2014 4:03 AM

Jan 2010
maverick0999 said:
sibbo7 said:

The problem with Free for me it's not the manservice but how the characters are written most of them so far have two characteristics they all love swimming and love there friends, the other problem i have is that most of are main characters act more like high school girls than boys this is funny sometimes but makes the characters a lot more emotional and that leeds to pointless melo drama like the whole bonding between Haru and Rin in the first season was way too over dramatic and that made it drag on even though everyone knew how that conflict between Rin and Haru gonna end they focused so much on those two characters and made the other characters more like support or comic relief. I think that what makes this show ''Gay'' for some people not the fanservice still as i said before i don't hate the show it's a fun slice of life sports show with beautiful animation is it as good as the fans of Free say it is no it's not, is it as bad as people who hate Free say no it's not, so stop this pointless argument and agree to disagree.

I haven't watched ep 1 of eternal summer yet, but anyways...

The characters seem to have enough unique traits to me, at least for a sports anime.

Let's be honest here: the popularity of free heavily depended, depends, and will depend on the fanservice of the series.

The plot and characterization isn't the best, but you know what? It's an enjoyable series to watch nonetheless, even for straight males.

You have a very valid point about how the boys of Iwatobi act a little more like schoolgirls. However, isn't that merely your perspective?
Take this with a grain of salt, but I once read that the Japanese value a best friend even higher than a romantic partner.
Well, even if that is not true, it is certain that different cultures have different norms for behavior, although this is anime; embellishments are rampant.
Furthermore, it's not like females in anime always act or characterized as expected.

Overly dramatic and emotional? This is KyoAni. if it isn't an iyashikei series, then there will be drama. Actually, this could probably, loosely, apply to any studio/publisher/whatever.

Ah, well, in the end I more or less agree with you: the Free! series is ultimately a divisive anime~!

On a side note, I can't help but laugh on how one particular anime (something apparently obvious) seems to always worm its way into any anime discussion, no matter the genre or topic.

I hope Eternal Summer will be amusing - I plan to watch it later today~
Jul 3, 2014 4:19 AM

May 2014
kikohunter said:
I can't take this seriousky if you're telling me that Free is better than SAO.
Writing and content wise, this is amazing in comparison to SAO. Free! fulfills its goals without a hitch, and you know that I tend to be critical with anything I pick up.

And yes, the boys act like your cute moe girls. That is a spot on observation, because after all it's KyoAni who make living off those archetypes. Why not just apply them to cute boys and have them swim as a good excuse to have some manservice for the fujoshis, some variety. Otaku pandering can be fun, but even that can get tiring for the staff.

I simply find it meh with nothing to keep my interest. 4/10
T3hSourceJul 3, 2014 4:32 AM
Jul 3, 2014 4:27 AM

May 2009
great episode, looking forward to the rest of the season
Jul 3, 2014 5:17 AM

May 2012
Not bad 1st episode. At least it is better than the overrated Haikyuu!! and baby steps from last season.

I like to see Gou swimming.
Jul 3, 2014 5:30 AM

Apr 2013
T3hSource said:
kikohunter said:
I can't take this seriousky if you're telling me that Free is better than SAO.
Writing and content wise, this is amazing in comparison to SAO. Free! fulfills its goals without a hitch, and you know that I tend to be critical with anything I pick up.

And yes, the boys act like your cute moe girls. That is a spot on observation, because after all it's KyoAni who make living off those archetypes. Why not just apply them to cute boys and have them swim as a good excuse to have some manservice for the fujoshis, some variety. Otaku pandering can be fun, but even that can get tiring for the staff.

I simply find it meh with nothing to keep my interest. 4/10

Not again....
How about we switch the position? for example studio X really excel in making the character archetypes you like and I would say "I simply find it meh with nothing to keep my interest".
TriZenJul 3, 2014 5:33 AM
Jul 3, 2014 5:32 AM

Sep 2010
Great episode, I've missed Free!

sexy policeman dancing rei <3
Jul 3, 2014 6:56 AM

Aug 2009
thepath said:
Not bad 1st episode. At least it is better than the overrated Haikyuu!! and baby steps from last season.

I like to see Gou swimming.

You have some gripe with Haikyu don't you? You start this thread asking "is it going to get better." And majorly everyone agrees it's already a great anime. Haikyu is far form being overrated. It deserves every ounce of rating it gets. And have you seen it lately...it went from 8.3 to 8.41.

So even though you have a personal vendetta against it. I don't think you should bring up other anime to compare with Free in this thread. Just discuss the episode, which is what people come here to do.

Jul 3, 2014 7:05 AM

Dec 2011
Amarrez said:

Came here to solely to find this. Thank you.
Jul 3, 2014 7:08 AM

Feb 2012
Definitely missed the swimming! ;) Thought the first episode was a good start to the season, wonder what drama they'll have this time..

Jul 3, 2014 7:24 AM

Mar 2008
kikohunter said:
precious said:

that is because some people can't accept fanservice revolving around guys, but if it's females showing off their tits etc. it's "alright"...
I won't question that logic but I've seen it so many times.. xD

I never said it isn't overrated. I find it weird you feel like defending yourself when it is pretty clear (at least judging from what you've written) I wasn't refering to you - I was refering to the people who are praising fanservice revolving around girls and hating on fanservice around guys (AND VICE VERSA).
I'm not treating either of them differently.
Also, I can answer that "So why is this show about fanservice for girls considered like the second coming of Jesus and being rated 9-10 by every girl that has her panties a little wet from watchinf this average show?" I think.
Simply because there is a lack of decent/"average" (<quoting your word here) fanservice for girls shows.
And the keyword here is decent/average. If I want to watch a fanservice show I don't necessarily want to watch BL (Boys Love-> shounen ai/yaoi), especially because the majority of them are very lackluster (talking about anime adaptions here). And I'm sure a lot of girls aren't into BL, so this anime attracts those that are and those that aren't as well...I hope you get what I mean o-o

oh and also inb4 someone says "but Free! is BL" - No, it isn't.
BL would be if any of those guys would date each other, kiss each other, haxe s*x, etc. (just to clarify)
Vanessa-Jul 3, 2014 7:52 AM
Jul 3, 2014 7:31 AM

Sep 2013
that scene made my day lol

Jul 3, 2014 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
Personally I like it. It's a great start to the series. For the OP and the END is something I should get used to, but I like the visual for the OP the song not so much(?). The END though... the freaking END will be the DEATH OF ME! We get to see Merman!Haru... and there's Rin. I've developed a love-hate relationship with Rin because of the END

Looking forward to Sousuke and Rin interaction

P.S : Rin is such a tsundere
animegurlfreakJul 3, 2014 8:23 AM
Jul 3, 2014 8:49 AM

Jul 2011
I liked the OP :P
Jul 3, 2014 9:06 AM

Mar 2009
galimx said:

That's just being hypocrite. Both are stupid. No, it's not alright (fanservice for girls or boys) are both shallow entertainment...

I rather want good animes, with good story, writing and directing and with deep characters. And not stuff like this.

it's true that fanservice is shallow entertainment but seriously, if you want a good story with deep characters you shouldnt watch a comedy "oriented" show in the first place. you should watch "only" drama, psychologic, maybe oldschool meccha etc.
Jul 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Sep 2013
i think i wet my pants
Jul 3, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
Lol! Free is back
I should have expected another hilarious ending though
The animation is as pristine as ever
Jul 3, 2014 10:24 AM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
All in all it looks good. Please not repost the pictures just to repost them.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 3, 2014 11:31 AM

Nov 2013
[I'm really sorry for my bad english]

~ aaawww I'm so happy that free! is back, that I had missed it so much, especially since it was my first anime ! Haruka is still beautiful and sexy .. * w *

~ I personally preferred the first opening, but the ending is not bad despite being completely wtf ! > . < '

~ In addition it recognizes the good quality graphics Kyoani as usual .. (♥)
Jul 3, 2014 11:47 AM

Mar 2014
This was absolutely amaaaaaaaazing!
The scene where they introduced the club feat. breakaway clothing was hilarious.
My hopes were raised too high when Haru said "I need to talk to you back at the swim club" to Rin...
BUT THE ED.
My god.
I have nothing to say.
If that isn't fetish fuel I don't know what is.
Jul 3, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
galimx said:
Fujoshi pandering anime. No thanks :). And dont get me wrong, it's not because there are only guys in this anime. It's the same as otaku pandering shows with tits and panties, but this time it targets the female audience.

I rather watch a good story, with good writing and direction, and complex and deep characters, not this shit.

Then why the fuck are you even watching this? This is the SECOND season. You sound like you haven't even watched the first season in the first place.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.