Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 2, 2014 1:36 AM
Mar 2011
Kruszer said:
AirStyles said:

What made something western and not eastern?

Seeing that you made that statement, I assume you're very familiar with Asian pop-culture or movies?

Yes, I've seen more than fair share of both. Mostly it's the type of action favored, the names and origins of the characters, and the types of humor and references used by the author and characters that make them feel more Hollwood-like than Asian films.

if any thing they would be more Uk than Us influnaced since Uk rled that aera ofr 99 years
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 2, 2014 1:40 AM

Jul 2013
Honestly most Anime is childish and follows a basic formula that is extremely predictable at times.
Jul 2, 2014 2:04 AM
Dec 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Kruszer said:

Yes, I've seen more than fair share of both. Mostly it's the type of action favored, the names and origins of the characters, and the types of humor and references used by the author and characters that make them feel more Hollwood-like than Asian films.

if any thing they would be more Uk than Us influnaced since Uk rled that aera ofr 99 years
I didn't see any tea parties or driveby arguments. So no, they aren't UK influenced.
Jul 2, 2014 2:22 AM
May 2009
Mix. I prefer a mix of everything. Doesn't have to be western friendly (Mainly mean doesn't have to be purely western in terms of Jokes, humour, References etc.)

I like the Japanese Folklore stuff, and their interpretation of western myths and folklore blended into a Japanese setting.
Jul 2, 2014 4:20 AM
Mar 2011
Motherurck said:
FGAU1912 said:

I didn't see any tea parties or driveby arguments. So no, they aren't UK influenced.

right read a damm book
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 2, 2014 4:26 AM

Jun 2014
Kruszer said:
Heredity said:
sure. i'd like so see an anime about owning a burger joint.

Why not, there's one about bartending.
Kruszer said:
Heredity said:
sure. i'd like so see an anime about owning a burger joint.

There's one about bread baking.
Jul 2, 2014 4:39 AM
May 2009
Gintokyo said:
Kruszer said:

Kruszer said:

There's one about bread baking.

Theres one about a family restaurant. Cooking shows, Golf, Tennis, Fishing. etc etc.
Jul 2, 2014 7:05 AM
Feb 2014
Closest thing this season that comes to my mind that's "Western friendly" is Zankyou no Terror. Last season it was Ping Pong imo.

They're making more series like those, just not too many as others want, and people can't see them but only just generalize about what's coming out collectively.
Jul 2, 2014 7:13 AM
Oct 2010
Nanashi- said:
skudoops said:

I don't mean less japanese culture per say, more like less things that mostly appeal to japanese people or that they alone could understand.

tbh I'd like to know what anime your recommended him. Can't be one of the popular ones if he meant it's "too cultural specific".

on topic: no. never. if it comes to this I'll stop watching anime immediately. I'm watching it because it is different than the shit we get here. If people like Breaking Bad etc then they should watch that. Just accept that your friend doesn't like anime and move on. If you still wanna try to convince him then why don't you show him one of the darker shows. Darker than black, fullmetal alchemist, stuff like that or if you want to go all-in try something like berserk.

Well I'd say stuff like ghost in the shell, psycho pass, berserk, cowboy bebop, space dandy, black lagoon, code geass, death note, Gankutsuou, fate zero, trust and betrayal, attack on titan etc. If he's looking for anime that's "less japanese".
Jul 2, 2014 12:10 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah...We need some Brazilian animation. Then Pupa is gonna look like a masterpiece.
Jul 2, 2014 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
No thanks.
Jul 2, 2014 1:50 PM

Jun 2007
NebulaC3I said:
Toning down some of the extreme elements might open more doors in the international market for the producers.
It just goes to show that people have random standards, like how the OP's friend liked Death Note despite it containing Japan-specific gods of death. They were even still called "shinigami" in the official subs and English dub.
Jul 2, 2014 1:52 PM
Oct 2010
Zalis said:
NebulaC3I said:
Toning down some of the extreme elements might open more doors in the international market for the producers.
It just goes to show that people have random standards, like how the OP's friend liked Death Note despite it containing Japan-specific gods of death. They were even still called "shinigami" in the official subs and English dub.

Yeah but many shows use mythos from other countries and are still really accessible. DN is one of those shows.
Jul 2, 2014 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
FGAU1912 said:
Kruszer said:

It doesn't sound like you get what the topic is actually about. This topic is strictly asking about if we want to see more Japanese animation being influenced stylistically by western (American or European) films and animation which the two things I mentioned definitely were. Yes everything came from somewhere but then it evolved into what it is today, and Asian, American, and European films all have their own distinct character and tropes.
KruszerJul 2, 2014 4:08 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 2, 2014 4:04 PM

Jul 2012
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

83 by ninjaberserker »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 12 hours ago

37 by Zimmu »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

69 by Caciulacdlac »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 3 hours ago

12 by iThink »»
21 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

24 by deg »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.