Forum Settings
Forums

How Do You Decide Which Shows to Watch before they Air?

New
Jul 1, 2014 7:08 AM
Feb 2014
Well, it's very almost time for Summer Anime to air. I'm just rather curious about how people decide which anime they want to watch and which anime will turn out good.

I'm asking because I recently wrote this huge blog about my pre-season expectations. Initially, I believed studios to be one of the most important factors in determining a show's quality. I also made my predictions on the permises, and the PVs. However, after doing loads of research, and reading other people's blogs and noting the thoughts of more experienced anime watchers, I realised there were a lot of things I failed to consider (or rather, I did, but never delved too deeply into them) and some things I may have held to muh in regard.

One of the first things that struck me was that studios may not be as important as I thought, in the sense that they only have control over animation and can only work within their budgets. On the other hand, I barely considered staff like the director and Series writer, which I now realise would probably be he most influential people in developing an anime. Finally, I never even thought aboyt Voice actors. Even now, I don't think too much about them, though I have noted that my enjoyment for an anime does increase slightly when I like the voice of certain characters.

Anyways, amongst the various elements that make up an anime ie Premise, Director, Storyboardist, Series Writer, Studio, Voice Actors, Source Material, Music, PVs etc, which of these do you consider most indicative of a show's potential? Feel free to include any other factors you think I may have missed out. Maybe share an experience or two with predictions you had in the past which came true or failed miserably?

(Btw, summer 2014 is the first anime season where I'm actually making predictions)

edit: great answers from eveyone. I'd just like to say that while it's nice to hear how each people decide their PTW list for new anime, I'm more intrested in the second part of my question. Which factors do u think is most important in determinin how well a show will perform?. I know it's highly subjective and it depends on a case to case basis, but I'm curious if anyone has specific thoughts on the matter. Like, maybe u think the studio is most important. Why? Because some studios are very consistent and have good track records for certain genres... something like that
Duri1nJul 1, 2014 12:19 PM
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2014 7:30 AM

Aug 2011
It's different things for different shows, really. If a manga/VN/LN I like get's an adaptation I'll obviously watch it. Then if something I've never experience the source material for get's animated I'll watch it dependent on things like studio, I'll watch anything by KyoAni, P.A. Works or A-1 Pictures. I've watched shows purely for seiyuu before as well, K being the first example that comes to mind since that show had a god tier cast. Then there is the cute girls doing cute things draw card, I can't keep away from that shit.
Jul 1, 2014 7:33 AM

Sep 2013
Read the synopsis
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 1, 2014 7:34 AM

Sep 2013
I read the descriptions on AniChart.net. I eliminate anything that describes itself using the terms "normal highschool student" and anything that looks likes it hinges exclusively on kawaiiness. Usually that leaves like 5 or so shows to check out.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jul 1, 2014 7:39 AM
Apr 2014
Usually I look up what anime I can choose from. There are enough lists out there to have a big overview. Then I look at titles, art-style and synopsis of all shows. If it sounds like I'd enjoy watching it I watch it. If I'm not sure I look for PV's and decide after watching them. Very rarely I decided to watch something due to a VA or involved studio

Most indicating about a shows potential is the story/idea IMO. Even experienced professionals can't turn shit into gold. Here it gets a big matter of taste though. Something might be awesome for one person and awful for another person. My point stands though. The studio/VA/director/etc can't change what the show is about(usually).

I don't have a "good opinion" about predictions at all. Predictions lead to expectations and that can easily lead to disappointment. Just watch and enjoy the show. Although if it stays as prediction and doesn't change into expectation it isn't too bad I guess.
Jul 1, 2014 7:40 AM

Jun 2013
Read the synopsis, check the director and where the original work came from. Then i'll have a look at the cast.
Jul 1, 2014 7:44 AM
May 2014
The staff holds some importance but not too mych because even a staff made up of talented mofos can give us a shit anime. The source material is the most important factor since most of the time it's an adaption of it. Besides those, to me the guy behind the OST is an important factor and obviously the director too. I don't care much about the voice actors since it's going to be in Japanese anyways and all I'm going to do is read the subs.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM

Apr 2013
Read the synopsis and look the poster that seems interesting
Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM
Feb 2014
Yeah, i know it isn't good to rely too much on predictions. But, it's nice to have some shows to look forward to for a new season.

@Majikkusesu, but aren't there shows involving 'normal highschool students' that actually urn out good? I can't really think of any perfect example now, but I've enjoyed a couple of anime like that, even if they are unoriginal

Which also leads me to another point, while an original premise is great, is it so bad if the premise is rather cliched? Eg. I thoroughly enjoyed Soredemo Sekai no Utkushii this spring despite its supposed typical premise. I thought the story and execution was handled vey well, and i really liked he characters... this is my problem when using premise alone to predict how good a show may be, though t doesnt hurt when the premise is new and unheard of before (though these have their own sets of problems)
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 1, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2012
i simply check the synopsis and genres and see if it sounds interesting to me.
Jul 1, 2014 7:50 AM
May 2014
Duri1n said:
Yeah, i know it isn't good to rely too much on predictions. But, it's nice to have some shows to look forward to for a new season.

@Majikkusesu, but aren't there shows involving 'normal highschool students' that actually urn out good? I can't really think of any perfect example now, but I've enjoyed a couple of anime like that, even if they are unoriginal

Which also leads me to another point, while an original premise is great, is it so bad if the premise is rather cliched? Eg. I thoroughly enjoyed Soredemo Sekai no Utkushii this spring despite its supposed typical premise. I thought the story and execution was handled vey well, and i really liked he characters... this is my problem when using premise alone to predict how good a show may be, though t doesnt hurt when the premise is new and unheard of before (though these have their own sets of problems)

That's why you should check out the first episode of the anime that has a cliché premise and see if you m'll like it or no or else just wait till the season is over and check the feedback from every show once it's done.
Jul 1, 2014 7:51 AM

Jun 2008
Google or find the anime charts for each season to get a feel for the art, story, and characters.
Jul 1, 2014 7:51 AM

Apr 2012
PVs aren't good indicators.

The premise and production studio are pretty important.

Source material is obviously the most important...

CVs may add extra enjoyment but aren't really the deciding factor (I mean, what anime doesn't have Hanazawa Kana nowadays).

Considering directors and writers are just as reliable as production studio, which is a nice indicator but not always on the mark.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jul 1, 2014 7:53 AM
Feb 2014
@kiohunter, yeah, that was what i used to think too haha. I always wath in subs, so VAs never bothered me much. But recently, there were a couple of VAs that caught my attention, either bcos they aggravated me, or bcos they acted quite well...Sill, not a very important factor to me.

Er... @eveyone, what happens if the series is an anime original eg Code Geass, Glasslip, Zankyou no Terror, etc? Cant really rely on the original material then...
Jul 1, 2014 7:54 AM

Oct 2012
Either read the manga or someone recommended it to me.
Jul 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Jun 2014
It's pretty much the same with everyone either it's an anime of a manga/game they've read/played or read the synopsis and if people are interested in the synopsis they'll watch it
it takes a while to find someone who's interested in the company who made the anime well you know unless it's a really bad company
"Round and round, let's spin"
Jul 1, 2014 7:55 AM

May 2014
By reading the description and watching previews if they have any.
Jul 1, 2014 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Works by Production IG and PA works usually warrants a watch right away, as they generally produces amazing stuff. Same goes to stories written by Urobutcher.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jul 1, 2014 8:02 AM
Feb 2014
Everyone keeps saying check the synopsis and anime charts. When it comes to the sy opsis, I agrre with most of u guys. Thats how I decided which anime to watch too. However, for the sake of discussion, I'm gonna emphasise that I'm more interested in whether relying on this factor alone was sufficient in giving a good prediciton.

As for anime charts, I find hem insufficient in helping me decide which anime to wath. They r too brief, imo. It's why i created my own little blog, actually... there's a lot of background info i beliebe would greatly help in picking anime to watch, and anime charts rarely have a lot of hem... eiher that, or I've been looking at rubbish charts.
Jul 1, 2014 8:04 AM

Sep 2013
Duri1n said:

I'm wary of anything that uses that phrase as a main point in a short description. It's like a warning that a show doesn't have any plot. I guess I just assume 80% of whatever is on involves a "normal" high school student. If the show needs to spell that out then it doesn't look good.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jul 1, 2014 8:04 AM

Oct 2011
I just read the descriptions and if it sounds interesting then I give it a chance. I'll watch pretty much everything that doesn't have a completely male cast and isn't a sequel to something I haven't seen.
I try to at least watch the first episode of most shows that air as that's the easiest way to tell if I'll enjoy something.
Jul 1, 2014 8:05 AM
May 2014
If it's an anime original all you can do is base your expectations on whoever is behind the scenes. Also check out the PV for the show and wait till the premiere.
Jul 1, 2014 8:05 AM

Jul 2011
Reading the synopsis, checking the production studio and taking a look at the original material and it's reviews (if there's any).
I admit I've also been motivated to watch some of them by looking at the poster's art style...

I rarely ever watch PVs, I don't know why.
Jul 1, 2014 8:16 AM
Feb 2014
Majikkusesu said:

I'm wary of anything that uses that phrase as a main point in a short description. It's like a warning that a show doesn't have any plot. I guess I just assume 80% of whatever is on involves a "normal" high school student. If the show needs to spell that out then it doesn't look good.

Oh, haha, yeah, makes sense. So that's what u meant. But does that really leave only 5 shows o.o... I'm pretty sure I cud name more than 5 summer anime not hinging entirely on Moe-ness or having 'normal highschool student' in the synopsis. Er, lets see, Zankyou no aterror, Aldnoah Zero, Rail Wars, Barakamon, Space Dandy 2, Kuroshitsuji Book of Circus, persona 4, Akame ga Kill... er that's 9? I know there r more I missed tho... xp (ok, nitpicking here a little -_-)

@everyone, i'm slow at responding, and mind my typos since i'm not using a computer now
Jul 1, 2014 8:23 AM
Feb 2014
kikohunter said:
If it's an anime original all you can do is base your expectations on whoever is behind the scenes. Also check out the PV for the show and wait till the premiere

Ok. That's what I've done. I used to base it on the studio doin it tho, but now I'vebeen comsidering the Series writer much more. I actually find PVs one of the best indicators. Though sometimes i cant do that since the PVs arent available, or they release a cheap one which has nothig frm the series comig out, like Hanayamata
Jul 1, 2014 8:42 AM

Apr 2014
Here's what I do. First, I look at the promotional poster (or picture, Idk what it's called) of the anime to see if I'll like the art style of the anime. Then, I look at the genre(s) and see if it's a genre that I like (Mecha, Slice of Life, Romance, etc.). After that, I read the synopsis and if it sounds good, then it goes on my "Plan to Watch" list.

"Haunted by darkness... Cursed by light... I am Jyakotu."
Jul 1, 2014 9:16 AM

Mar 2013
I always check out the synopsis, genres and PVs.
Jul 1, 2014 9:18 AM

May 2012
I just pick up whatever looks good from the first episode, and then look at a popularity chart at the site I watch my streaming anime from at the end of a couple weeks to see if I missed any good ones.
Jul 1, 2014 9:20 AM

Jun 2012
If I like the character designs or if the synopsis sounds good I'll try it, but that doesnt mean I'll watch the whole season. If I dont like it I'll drop it. Simple as that.
Jul 1, 2014 9:20 AM

Sep 2011
Copy down all the shows to be airing

through reading synopsis, genres, studios I order them like

Definite / Maybe / NOPE

then see how my predictions played out, if I hear something good about a show that I labeled 'nope' I'll probably give it the 3 episode rule

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Jul 1, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2014
I just read what its about and then decide if the story sounds interesting enough for me to watch! I already picked a bunch of summer anime to watch!
Jul 1, 2014 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
I always pick as many shows that look like I would enjoy, which is usually around 10-15, then I let the season progress for a couple weeks to see if I really want to watch them. Generally I let go of about 5-10 shows after the first few episodes because I'm not really interested in them anymore. Then later on, maybe 3/4 into the season I might get bored of a couple more shows and drop them. Ultimately I'm left with around 5 shows max that I actually like. So it's pretty much all about weeding them out.
shiro-shiroJul 31, 2014 4:58 PM
Jul 1, 2014 9:52 AM

Jul 2012
Main thing I always go for is production companies, I'll probably watch a show just based off that.
Then I looked through VA cast, and if someone I like is a main cast, that's a watch.
And finally, maybe I'll check out the genres tags.
I'll rarely read a synopsis or watch a PV, it'll probably turn me off.
Jul 1, 2014 9:54 AM

Mar 2009
I dive in without any knowledge of a show.

Jul 1, 2014 10:00 AM

May 2014
Synopsis, cover art, tags, source material, staff, previews.

Anything with moe and school settings and Slice of Life loses my general interest, but this season I'll give them a shot, watching them weekly isn't that bad.

Now a synopsis that is trying to sell me its setting is also a huge red flag, because it might be hiding that it's another wish fulfillment fantasy.

And then we have light novel adaptations which are usually an indicator of shit, on top of being hard to find details on them.

And finally previews, the animation and character design will tell what the show is aiming to be.

Of course anything ecchi and harem is immediately discarded.

I try to check to source material for everything, if it's a manga, I look for scanlations to skim read a few chapters.
Jul 1, 2014 10:08 AM

Apr 2013
I don't. I decide which of 'em to watch after they've aired & even then the majority turn out to be crap. Things that influence my decision: how much it is talked about on MAL (silly me, I know), their ratings after completion, which studio (of coarse), the amount of kawaii gifs, etc.
Jul 1, 2014 10:09 AM
Dec 2013
If it's a sequel season to a show I enjoyed, then I'd check it out.

If it's an original show, then I go by buzz and how hyped up it is.

Other times, it's because it involves a certain staff member, but that's beginning to feel like a mistake now.
Jul 1, 2014 10:18 AM

Aug 2013
I read the summary on Anichart. If it sounds interesting to me, I will watch it.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jul 1, 2014 10:25 AM

Oct 2012
I usually plan to watch all the airing Anime besides adaptions for Anime I haven't seen.
Every season it's the same... I watch the first 2~4 episodes of about 15 new airing Anime, but I end up really finishing only about 5. Still, I watch at least the first episodes of everything new, to give it a chance.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jul 1, 2014 10:30 AM

Mar 2013
unless it's a sequel I just have to watch a pv. Summaries and posters alone just doesn't work out for me.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jul 1, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2013
1) read the synopsis

2) watch the pv

3) see whether or not the cast and staff are good

4) see if there's hype behind the show
Jul 1, 2014 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
If the pictures are pretty enough.
Jul 1, 2014 10:53 AM

Jun 2014
I read the synopsis and then I go read the reviews.
Jul 1, 2014 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
I use this website: http://anichart.net/summer

Most of next seasons anime look shit apart from:

-Sword Art online 2:
I have it in high hopes that they stick to badass RPG scenes and don't spoil it with unnecessary romance, that really spoilt Sword art online.
-Tokyo Ghoul:
This looks pretty good, got it in my plan to watch and I shall watch it soon! :D
-Space Dandy 2:
This looks good and i've heard that Space Dandy (1) is pretty good, I will watch this after I watch the first Space Dandy and if I like it.
-DRAMAtical Murder:
This looks pretty cool by the cover and the summer, also I like the 'Virtual Reality' genre including anime like Log Horizon and half of Sword art online.

It really depends if I hear good things about it here on MAL, I don't usually start anime as soon as they start airing since I have a lot of anime to watch.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 1, 2014 12:01 PM

May 2014
@MrGoldiii
"-DRAMAtical Murder:"- You do realize this is an adaptation of a boys love visual novel for fujoshis.
Jul 1, 2014 12:19 PM
May 2014
T3hSource said:
@MrGoldiii
"-DRAMAtical Murder:"- You do realize this is an adaptation of a boys love visual novel for fujoshis.

He says all looks shit apart SAO and Space Dandy, dear lord..
Jul 1, 2014 12:29 PM
Feb 2014
MrGoldiii said:
I use this website: http://anichart.net/summer

Most of next seasons anime look shit apart from:

-Sword Art online 2:
I have it in high hopes that they stick to badass RPG scenes and don't spoil it with unnecessary romance, that really spoilt Sword art online.
-Tokyo Ghoul:
This looks pretty good, got it in my plan to watch and I shall watch it soon! :D
-Space Dandy 2:
This looks good and i've heard that Space Dandy (1) is pretty good, I will watch this after I watch the first Space Dandy and if I like it.
-DRAMAtical Murder:
This looks pretty cool by the cover and the summer, also I like the 'Virtual Reality' genre including anime like Log Horizon and half of Sword art online.

It really depends if I hear good things about it here on MAL, I don't usually start anime as soon as they start airing since I have a lot of anime to watch.

Interesting answer, tho, not really answering the question -_-...

Btw, I have the summer anichart on my profile so... i know all abt it...
Jul 1, 2014 12:35 PM
Feb 2014
ThisNameSucks said:
If the pictures are pretty enough.

Weren't the pictures rather pretty for this one?

Awesome signature, btw

Gintokyo said:
I read the synopsis and then I go read the reviews.

Where would u read reviews? Do u mean previews? I tried finding more comprehensive blogs of previews, but they're pretty hard to find.
Jul 1, 2014 1:09 PM

Nov 2012
Sequels of anime that I have already watched (and liked) are of course clear cases.

For actually new animes I just look at promo pictures, genres and synopsis. If I don't find it interesting by then, I'm most likely not going to watch it.

I don't care about animation studios, I'm open-minded and am expecting both good and bad stuff from every studio.
Jul 1, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2009
My method isn't really based on much other than gut feelings. I look for the anime chart around a month or two before the season and from there I go through and look up all the series with appealing cover art and decide whether or not it'd be worth a go before finally looking at the summaries on the chart for other series whose covers may not have stood out to me. I definitely tend to pick up a lot of series though even if the summary didn't exactly blow me over just for the sake of giving it a try even if I end up dropping a bunch of new shows after one episode.

Other than that I'll of course pick up adaptations for games or other series that I already had an interest in.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 34 minutes ago

3 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

104 by FFandMMfan »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.