Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jun 23 - 29

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 1, 2014 1:28 PM

Dec 2011
Progeusz said:
Borgia said:

Isnt 1k sales bad?
It is. Especially for a show which started ~15k.

although that is just the DVD sales, so it isn't quite as bad as it looks. Still bad though.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 1, 2014 1:46 PM

Mar 2012
JoksPacifist said:
I thought NGNL would break the 10k, with all the LN boost.
But, I guess that's it.

Hum, I guess that the sales will boost if there's a limited edition, but the sales are going good enough, I'm hoping for a S2 =)

*2. *4,493 *,**4,493 Kamigami no Asobi Vol.1

I don't get the "japanese tastes"... Was Kamigami no Asobi that good? It was just decent in my opinion.
Jul 1, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
cyborgneko999 said:
NGNL isn't over 10k? I'm pretty sure the hype was real on MAL & the light novel sales. With those numbers (8k+) season 2 is a must!

It sold alot better than the predicted 5-6k.

Jul 1, 2014 2:51 PM

Aug 2010
Yeah, Gatari still got this.

Ooh, Naruto CD sold well.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jul 1, 2014 3:59 PM

Jun 2014
Naruto ED surprised me, selling out at number 1 ... NICE.
Jul 1, 2014 5:47 PM

Apr 2008
I ended up importing No Game No Life, and it's nice to see good sales numbers for it.
Jul 1, 2014 6:01 PM
Dec 2013
I am looking forward for a minimum 40k and 60k max average for love live 2 with the last volume event ticket boost. Wow at mekaku getting 9k. I guess it will hit 10k+ next week then another 10k for volume 2.

Love Live2
Jojo
Haikyuu
Mekaku / Mahouka

for spring top 4??
Jul 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
volare1 said:
I am looking forward for a minimum 40k and 60k max average for love live 2 with the last volume event ticket boost. Wow at mekaku getting 9k. I guess it will hit 10k+ next week then another 10k for volume 2.

Love Live2
Jojo
Haikyuu
Mekaku / Mahouka

for spring top 4??

v2 is ranking a lot lower, so i'm not going to put my bet on v2 hitting 10k.
Number 4 will be either Gochiusa, Mahouka or NGNL. Unless they have bigger than expected v2 drops. We also still can't count out Wixoss, who knows how it'll do.
rederoinJul 1, 2014 6:16 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Oct 2013
Sidonia no Kishi at number 6. Top notch, well deserved.
Jul 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
MCA was underestimated b y 152%, thats pretty damn big.

Jul 1, 2014 7:38 PM

Apr 2012
JoksPacifist said:
But, I guess that's it.
This is just my observation based on my impression but Mad House never get amazing sales, nor do they get extreme little sales (ex. Death Note only sold 15000, considering its popularity). A 6000-7000 could guarantee a second season, given that a lot of drawing, initial planning, and staff from s1 can be reused.

I can't believe Mekakucity Actors is doing much better than Nisekoi. It seems otaku from area 11 can't distinguish good from bad.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jul 1, 2014 7:47 PM

Dec 2013
rederoin said:
MCA was underestimated b y 152%, thats pretty damn big.

hmmm, it seems that a big group MCA fans dont use Amazon to buy product
Jul 2, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2007
Pain_is_love said:
JoksPacifist said:
But, I guess that's it.
This is just my observation based on my impression but Mad House never get amazing sales, nor do they get extreme little sales (ex. Death Note only sold 15000, considering its popularity). A 6000-7000 could guarantee a second season, given that a lot of drawing, initial planning, and staff from s1 can be reused.

I can't believe Mekakucity Actors is doing much better than Nisekoi. It seems otaku from area 11 can't distinguish good from bad.

The thing is, Mekaku City's fanbase mostly consists of females (many in their teenage years). That is why even the Stalker estimate (which is based on sales performance at Amazon) for Mekaku was so much under the actual Oricon sales, due to sales from storefront contributing more instead of at Amazon.

Vol.1 one was cheap and also had a CD bundled with it. Now if you've seen how well the music singles have sold, then it is not surprising that the Mekaku fanbase would much prefer to get the CD bundled than the anime. You can't group male and female otaku together, as they have inherently differing interests most of the time, but there are some anime that have been enjoyed by both genders almost equally. See K-ON! for example.
EjcJul 2, 2014 3:01 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jul 2, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2012
^^ Thanks
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jul 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Nov 2008
need to watch this one soon Kaze Tachinu.
Jul 2, 2014 12:19 PM
Jun 2012
SolviteSekai said:
The people acting like 7k for NGNL isnt a lot are casuals and/or new to anime.

These small sales numbers are in fact small, it's not because new anime viewers are stupiid. It's because the anime industry in japan is just so insular and controlling. They don't want people to buy their product. The reality is they sell so small is because they are so damn expensive.

I look at what stores like Steam did for videogames, anime companies really don't want to make money and promote and sell their stuff. They are satisfied being insular to japan.
Jul 2, 2014 12:40 PM
May 2013
super88 said:
SolviteSekai said:
The people acting like 7k for NGNL isnt a lot are casuals and/or new to anime.

These small sales numbers are in fact small, it's not because new anime viewers are stupiid. It's because the anime industry in japan is just so insular and controlling. They don't want people to buy their product. The reality is they sell so small is because they are so damn expensive.

I look at what stores like Steam did for videogames, anime companies really don't want to make money and promote and sell their stuff. They are satisfied being insular to japan.

Discs can be expensive but why would you think anime companies really don't want to make money? Have you considered the possibility that what they do does in many cases make money?

And I'm not sure what an analogy with what Steam does with games would mean, if that was your intent. Maybe you could compare Steam with Crunchyroll?
HahalollawlJul 2, 2014 12:45 PM
Jul 2, 2014 1:36 PM

Oct 2007
Way to just continue to ignore all logical and theoretical limitations on the anime market Sunrise. What a month that was. The season that was supposed to culminate in a heat between Love Live and Kagerou Project pretty much just ended up being Love Live and everything else. It's kind of not even fair really. After all that too its still ranking in the top 10 on Amazon and 100k isn't really just a possibility now, its pretty much a given. Never in my wildest dreams did I or probably anyone expect it to be that huge a selling first volume.

Aside from that there doesn't seem to be a single sales trend I can really complain about. Most of my favorite shows are getting lots of love while things I'm not so big on (mostly pertaining to mecha "done wrong") aren't doing so great. See the interesting thing I'm noticing is the traditional sci-fi stuff like Unicorn, Sidonia, GiTS, Yamato etc is doing great lately while the sort of hybrid modern otaku sci-fi stuff is doing so bad that it either probably won't chart (Captain Earth) or its release is getting cancelled entirely (M3). Its such a stunning rebuke of a particular approach to the genre and such and embracement of a traditional one that if producers don't get the message than they probably deserve to go out of business. Satelight in particular must just look so undesirable for investors right now.
PeacingOutJul 2, 2014 1:51 PM
Jul 2, 2014 6:19 PM
May 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Way to just continue to ignore all logical and theoretical limitations on the anime market Sunrise. What a month that was. The season that was supposed to culminate in a heat between Love Live and Kagerou Project pretty much just ended up being Love Live and everything else. It's kind of not even fair really. After all that too its still ranking in the top 10 on Amazon and 100k isn't really just a possibility now, its pretty much a given. Never in my wildest dreams did I or probably anyone expect it to be that huge a selling first volume.

Aside from that there doesn't seem to be a single sales trend I can really complain about. Most of my favorite shows are getting lots of love while things I'm not so big on (mostly pertaining to mecha "done wrong") aren't doing so great. See the interesting thing I'm noticing is the traditional sci-fi stuff like Unicorn, Sidonia, GiTS, Yamato etc is doing great lately while the sort of hybrid modern otaku sci-fi stuff is doing so bad that it either probably won't chart (Captain Earth) or its release is getting cancelled entirely (M3). Its such a stunning rebuke of a particular approach to the genre and such and embracement of a traditional one that if producers don't get the message than they probably deserve to go out of business. Satelight in particular must just look so undesirable for investors right now.

Don't take this the wrong way as I've considered myself to be something of a fan of much of Sunrise's work. But if you are annoyed by people cheering for KyoAni or Shaft when their sales have been high, you may want to refrain from cheering too much for Sunrise when their show sells well. Just a suggestion.

Amyways, I hope Sunrise takes some of the money they seem to be raking in and put it towards some high quality mecha anime...
Jul 2, 2014 6:32 PM

Nov 2008
Hahalollawl said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Don't take this the wrong way as I've considered myself to be something of a fan of much of Sunrise's work. But if you are annoyed by people cheering for KyoAni or Shaft when their sales have been high, you may want to refrain from cheering too much for Sunrise when their show sells well. Just a suggestion.

Amyways, I hope Sunrise takes some of the money they seem to be raking in and put it towards some high quality mecha anime...

Sunrise mostly wants to cater mecha to kids now, I'd rather see something I'm 99% sure is good such as a spiritual successor to Love Live.

Jul 2, 2014 6:37 PM
May 2013
Hoppy said:
Hahalollawl said:

Sunrise mostly wants to cater mecha to kids now, I'd rather see something I'm 99% sure is good such as a spiritual successor to Love Live.

I disagree. Like it or not, I doubt many people would consider Valvrave for kids or at least I don't. As for Buddy complex...well not sure who that was for...
Jul 2, 2014 7:02 PM

Nov 2008
Hahalollawl said:
Hoppy said:

I disagree. Like it or not, I doubt many people would consider Valvrave for kids or at least I don't. As for Buddy complex...well not sure who that was for...

Buddy Complex seemed to be geared to a teenage male audience but failed at it.

But look at what they are doing to Gundam, the new mothership Gundam installments are a shell of the Gundam anime I loved in the past. Even if Gundam is marketed to kids, at the very least make the series have mecha designs that I can take seriously. I applaud Sunrise for how they handled Love Live but I'm mourning the loss of the Gundam that I truly love.

Jul 2, 2014 7:41 PM
May 2013
Hoppy said:
Hahalollawl said:

But look at what they are doing to Gundam, the new mothership Gundam installments are a shell of the Gundam anime I loved in the past. Even if Gundam is marketed to kids, at the very least make the series have mecha designs that I can take seriously. I applaud Sunrise for how they handled Love Live but I'm mourning the loss of the Gundam that I truly love.

Well if you're just referring to Gundam and not Sunrise mecha overall then maybe...well...at least we have Aldnoah and Argevollen to look forward to? Even if they're not Gundam/Sunrise...
Jul 2, 2014 7:45 PM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:
Hoppy said:

Valvrave is a bit different cause that was Aniplex produced with Sunrise animating instead of just Sunrise original. I doubt we'll see that partnership again any time in the near future though cause Aniplex and Bandai Visual who own the studio are pretty much direct competitors.

Also I disagree that anything is wrong with Gundam at the moment, it's just continuing to try to expand into new demographics is all. You have your Unicorns and you have your Build Fighters and both are pretty good in their own way IMO. Unless you're talking about a return to classic style Gundam TV series in which case I'm hoping that that's what Reconguista ends up being. For now though I think Bandai/Sunrise has decided that OVA equals for older general audiences while TV means either for younger audiences or for late night otaku. Lets be honest though, the quality of Gundam Unicorn would have been nowhere near what was pretty much movie level had it been a TV series and probably nowhere near as successful either.

As for Buddy Complex.....well it's not a bad show but doesn't really stand out in the studios extensives mecha catalogue. The technical aspects of the show are good as ever, but I think Studio 8 should just stick to what it does best and most successfully which is more moe otaku audience oriented shows as opposed to the mecha that the older sub-studios are known for and let them handle it. I think it was probably a bit of a miscalculation to give Buddy Complex to Studio 8, possibly motivated by how aside from that they have yet to have a show that wasn't a notable hit so far this decade.

Hahalollawl said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

That was cheering? I was more trying to say that I don't know how they are doing what they are doing particularly of late. I've been a fan of the company for at least a decade now and I'm still not sure how they are able to pretty regularly put out original anime and have it just balloon into a mega-franchise against seemingly all odds (think Tiger and Bunny and a male character in his 30's which the creators even admit was a huge roadblock in even getting it greenlit at first). It just seems so against the trends of the market and what most other studios/producers are doing which is to heavily favor big budget adaptations of the most popular Light Novels, Games, and Manga. I legitimately don't know how you can just sidestep and ignore these rather obvious trends continually.
PeacingOutJul 2, 2014 7:51 PM
Jul 2, 2014 7:46 PM

Nov 2008
Hahalollawl said:
Hoppy said:

Well if you're just referring to Gundam and not Sunrise mecha overall then maybe...well...at least we have Aldnoah and Argevollen to look forward to? Even if they're not Gundam/Sunrise...

Argevollen is much closer to Gundam so far, Aldnoah.Zero possibly, although the mecha remind me of 1st generation lightweight Armored Cores.

Jul 2, 2014 7:54 PM

Oct 2007
Hoppy said:
Hahalollawl said:

Argevollen is much closer to Gundam so far, Aldnoah.Zero possibly, although the mecha remind me of 1st generation lightweight Armored Cores.

Wait Argevollen has aired already? When I looked at it the first thing that came to mind was hot blooded super robot show so if that's the case I'm surprised to hear it. Aldnoah in it's promotions though looks and sounds so much like Gundam it could not be more obvious that it's the one that the Aniplex producer was quoting as saying they wanted to try to surpass Gundam with. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be too much of a carbon copy of the traditional Gundam premise though.

Also all 3DCGI mecha designs aside from the ones in Valvrave to name a recent example tend to just look kind of the same to me. Like a cross between an Aestavalis from Nadesico and the Battaroid mode of a Valkyrie from Macross.

edit: Actually though they're getting a little better like with Knights of Sidonia and the Aldnoah ones actually don't look at that Aestavalis-ish. I can only hope the CGI in Aldnoah can follow up decently on Knights of Sidonia though cause it's got a pretty tough act to follow in that regard.
PeacingOutJul 2, 2014 7:59 PM
Jul 2, 2014 8:00 PM

Nov 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Hoppy said:

Wait Argevollen has aired already? When I looked at it the first thing that came to mind was hot blooded super robot show so if that's the case I'm surprised to hear it. Aldnoah in it's promotions though looks and sounds so much like Gundam it could not be more obvious that it's the one that the Aniplex producer was quoting as saying they wanted to try to surpass Gundam with. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be too much of a carbon copy of the traditional Gundam premise though.

Also all 3DCGI mecha designs aside from the ones in Valvrave to name a recent example tend to just look kind of the same to me. Like a cross between an Aestavalis from Nadesico and the Battaroid mode of a Valkyrie from Macross.

Nope, it airs Tomorrow.

Now Aldnoah.Zero surpassing Gundam, I doubt that, that's too good to be true could it hold a candle to at least the more recent Gundam series, it's possible but I wouldn't go in with such high expectations. As for Argevollen, just the mecha seem super robot-esque.

Jul 2, 2014 8:20 PM
May 2013
Aldnoah.Zero may be getting a lot of hype (and maybe it deserves it with the names involved) but i wouldn't be too surprised if I end up enjoying argevollen more. I'm not sure if "super robot-esque" is good or bad to you, but I rather like the mecha design for Argevollen.
Jul 2, 2014 9:26 PM
Oct 2011
I am going to make a wild guess and say that NGNL sales will go up by 4k next week. MCA I actually really liked it sure it was really rushed near the end, not everything was explained but it didn't feel cheap it had an acceptable ending.
Jul 3, 2014 5:19 AM

Nov 2011
It hasn't ranked in the daily ranked for 2 days, it won't go up by 4k. Late nigh tv 1-cour anime tends to be front-loaded(88%-90%) in the first week as far as sales go.

Jul 3, 2014 5:55 AM

Nov 2007
rederoin said:
It hasn't ranked in the daily ranked for 2 days, it won't go up by 4k. Late nigh tv 1-cour anime tends to be front-loaded(88%-90%) in the first week as far as sales go.

In addition to the reasons as stated by rederoin here, Monogatari volumes usually sell 2~2.5k on BD and ~300 on DVD in the 2nd week. Nogenora did not rank above Koimono in the first 3 days of dailies this week, so it's safe to say it won't do anywhere near 4k, unless it had stock issues in the 1st week, and starts ranking well above Koimono on the last 4 days this week.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jul 3, 2014 5:59 AM

Apr 2009
Thankfully NGNL is not that successful.
I am glad The Wind Rises is doing well.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 6:04 AM
Dec 2010
Hoppy said:

Fact: Gundam Build Fighter is the best Gundam series since G Gundam, with better characters, better mecha fights, heck better plot than any Gundam series post G Gundam. I pity you for not being able to appreciate it for what it is.
Jul 3, 2014 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

>8k first week
>Not successful.

You need to pay closer attention to anime tv sales. If it manages a 8k average, it'll probably be 250-350% above the average mean of of spring tv shows. Not to mention it broke the record of biggest anime LN sales boost.
rederoinJul 3, 2014 7:04 AM

Jul 3, 2014 7:05 AM

Nov 2013
rederoin said:
Nidhoeggr said:

>8k first week
>Not successful.

You need to pay closer attention to anime tv sales. If it manages a 8k average, it'll probably be 250-350% above the average mean of of spring tv shows. Not to mention it broke the record of biggest anime LN sales boost.
Since he said "THAT successful" I'm guessing he means SAO successful or something.
Jul 3, 2014 7:08 AM

Nov 2011
Botato said:
rederoin said:

>8k first week
>Not successful.

Since he said "THAT successful" I'm guessing he means SAO successful or something.

He'll be glad to know that both make a shitton of money then.

Jul 3, 2014 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
Oh sweet, Gochiusa hit 10k.

Jul 3, 2014 8:36 AM

Nov 2008
rederoin said:
Oh sweet, Gochiusa hit 10k.

Then there's nothing stopping a second season from happening. I hope it's announced soon.

Jul 3, 2014 3:03 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Most of my favorite shows are getting lots of love while things I'm not so big on (mostly pertaining to mecha "done wrong") aren't doing so great.

So does this mean that you will stop insulting the Japanese buying market? As I have said, in general the Japanese anime market is pretty sensible, the top 100 selling animes of the past decade with one exception deserve to be there, even if I am not the fan of the genre. Do I wish that quirky shows that I love like Jinrui, Kyousougiga, and Uchouten Kazoku would do better, of course, but those shows at least get made in Japan, where as I doubt that any other market would make them.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
See the interesting thing I'm noticing is the traditional sci-fi stuff like Unicorn, Sidonia, GiTS, Yamato etc is doing great lately while the sort of hybrid modern otaku sci-fi stuff is doing so bad that it either probably won't chart (Captain Earth) or its release is getting cancelled entirely (M3).

I don't know if you remember symbv, but a while back he and I got into a debate over why traditional epic SF shows are not being made, his argument was that the audience no longer liked such types of shows, my argument was that even in the Golden Age of such shows there were only a few good ones (and of these several were writing by a single person), and the problem wasn't that such shows weren't being made, but that their writing was bad and the animes worse. What I think you are seeing is the cycle has finally turned and some quality SF shows have finally been made, and that this will breed a new cycle of serious SF shows as people start to copy success.
Jul 3, 2014 3:17 PM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

9K for a late night ecchi anime can ONLY be described as extremely successful.

My guess is that the production team was hoping for 4-5K (while expecting less), with the publisher fronting more of the money based on anticipated novel sales. Around 120K+ per volume, the publishers are overjoyed. At 9K Madhouse is dancing in the streets.

This is one anime I would love to know what the terms were between the related parties.
Jul 3, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Just noticed this post.

Captain earth is doing mediocre, 3.5k(roughly) for v1 would be decent if it wasen't for the event ticket drop. But its extremely far from not charting.
M3 was not cancelled, they moved the release date.

Jul 3, 2014 7:46 PM
Oct 2013
rederoin said:
Nidhoeggr said:

>8k first week
>Not successful.

Haters gonna Hate.
don't understand why that guy doesn't like NGNL.

i think NGNL is the most interesting anime last season.
Jul 4, 2014 10:17 AM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Nidhoeggr said:

9K for a late night ecchi anime can ONLY be described as extremely successful.

My guess is that the production team was hoping for 4-5K (while expecting less), with the publisher fronting more of the money based on anticipated novel sales. Around 120K+ per volume, the publishers are overjoyed. At 9K Madhouse is dancing in the streets.

This is one anime I would love to know what the terms were between the related parties.

Ehhh, not sure they're dancing in the streets with how Mahouka has done though. If before the season you told Madhouse that one of their shows would sell around 10k and the other around 5k you think they would have guessed it would turn out like this?

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Most of my favorite shows are getting lots of love while things I'm not so big on (mostly pertaining to mecha "done wrong") aren't doing so great.

So does this mean that you will stop insulting the Japanese buying market? As I have said, in general the Japanese anime market is pretty sensible, the top 100 selling animes of the past decade with one exception deserve to be there, even if I am not the fan of the genre. Do I wish that quirky shows that I love like Jinrui, Kyousougiga, and Uchouten Kazoku would do better, of course, but those shows at least get made in Japan, where as I doubt that any other market would make them.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
See the interesting thing I'm noticing is the traditional sci-fi stuff like Unicorn, Sidonia, GiTS, Yamato etc is doing great lately while the sort of hybrid modern otaku sci-fi stuff is doing so bad that it either probably won't chart (Captain Earth) or its release is getting cancelled entirely (M3).

I don't know if you remember symbv, but a while back he and I got into a debate over why traditional epic SF shows are not being made, his argument was that the audience no longer liked such types of shows, my argument was that even in the Golden Age of such shows there were only a few good ones (and of these several were writing by a single person), and the problem wasn't that such shows weren't being made, but that their writing was bad and the animes worse. What I think you are seeing is the cycle has finally turned and some quality SF shows have finally been made, and that this will breed a new cycle of serious SF shows as people start to copy success.

Yeah before people bash Japan for not buying a lot of what they like they should remember that at least it got made...in Japan.

As for your debate with symbv, perhaps there is a 3rd possibility. Perhaps there was the PERCEPTION among people in the industry that the fans no longer liked the epic SF genre, regardless of whether or not it was actually true. This perception could have been based off of a few flops or the success of other genres and discouraged them from making new serious SF shows. Perhaps with Sidonia and Yamato we are starting to see a shift away from that perception and perhaps they (production committee members) will be more inclined to make those kinds of shows.

This is a good reason to hope shows in a genre you like do well, regardless of who is involved or whether or not a sequel is possible.
HahalollawlJul 4, 2014 10:30 AM
Jul 4, 2014 12:59 PM
Oct 2012
Hahalollawl said:
Ehhh, not sure they're dancing in the streets with how Mahouka has done though. If before the season you told Madhouse that one of their shows would sell around 10k and the other around 5k you think they would have guessed it would turn out like this?

Madhouse has only had 2 shows that averaged above 10K per volume - Death Note and Chobits. And there has only been 115 series since 2000 that have averaged 10K per volume. So NGNL probably doing 9K, when all is said and done is a great success regardless of how their other show does.

Mahouka is looking like it will end in the 6-7K range, a disappointment in that they were probably hoping for more, but not a disaster. It's still 100% better than most spring animation
Jul 4, 2014 1:20 PM

Oct 2007
Hoppy said:
Wasn't that aimed at females? Looked like tamer and gayer VVV. Honest question, pardon my ignorance, I never paid attention to this show after watching rather disappointing PV. I have most of the Gundams to catch up with in terms of mecha, they're much more important to me.

DinadanCarleon said:
Haters gonna Hate.
don't understand why that guy doesn't like NGNL.
He hates fun and is insecure, so he needs to justify his internet persona by pretending to have sophisticated tastes. No point in trying to reason with.

Hahalollawl said:
Looking at their past records, I think they should be pretty satisfied with 5k for Mahouka. Also, Mahouka should sell more than 5k.
First week of Amazon version v1 is estimated at 6k. It's a strange case where only Amazon version is available on Amazon. That means that storefront effect could possibly be above average.
No event ticket (from what I see) or low price so it should be pretty consistent.
7k average won't surprise me in the slightest though I'm setting my expectations low around 5.5k
Jul 4, 2014 2:52 PM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Hahalollawl said:

Madhouse has only had 2 shows that averaged above 10K per volume - Death Note and Chobits. And there has only been 115 series since 2000 that have averaged 10K per volume. So NGNL probably doing 9K, when all is said and done is a great success regardless of how their other show does.

Mahouka is looking like it will end in the 6-7K range, a disappointment in that they were probably hoping for more, but not a disaster. It's still 100% better than most spring animation

lol I wasn't trying to make an exact prediction about Mahouka, hence the "around 5k". It was more to highlight the difference between Mahouka and NGNL sales and how it seems like they probably didn't turn out in the order they expected.

Anyways, for some reason I got the impression that Mahouka was quite hyped and was supposed to have a shot at a 5 figure average, maybe the next SAO. Compared to that it does seem a bit of a disappointment so they might not be dancing in the streets about that. Without that kind of expectation though, 5-7k range would seem like a nice number. However, Mahouka also seems to have been pretty high budget in terms of animation so it might have cost quite a bit to produce as well...

However, this could all be moot depending on how much Madhouse is even invested in these projects. Do we even know if they are a major investor in the production committees for these shows? If not, the sales may have little direct effect on their finances...
HahalollawlJul 4, 2014 2:57 PM
Jul 4, 2014 4:20 PM
Jul 2013
Hahalollawl said:

However, this could all be moot depending on how much Madhouse is even invested in these projects. Do we even know if they are a major investor in the production committees for these shows? If not, the sales may have little direct effect on their finances...

They have no investment in either show. It was Mahou Sensou that they wasted money on.

As for Mahouka, it's mission failed given the high expectations and lack of financial investment. The numbers do nothing to convince sponsors that Madhouse can make super profitable, super popular LN adaptations (also, any promotional benefit is limited since the light novels were already so popular before broadcast). However, NGNL succeeds where Mahouka fails.
Jul 4, 2014 6:24 PM

Sep 2013
Maybe people (Japanese) have just gotten accustomed to not buy Madhouse anime based on popular source but their source adaptation instead, HxH, Deathnote, Chobits, Monster etc...
Oh and WATCH IT ON TV!!! because they watch TV you know ;)
Jul 5, 2014 2:14 AM

Aug 2012
What do you guys think Mekaku will do overall, since it's 12 volumes?
Jul 5, 2014 4:54 AM

Nov 2011
Raniero said:
What do you guys think Mekaku will do overall, since it's 12 volumes?

6-7k with the event ticket drop.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

56 by Icebreaker93 »»
21 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
1 hour ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 4 hours ago

1 by deg »»
3 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.