Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 31, 2016 10:58 AM

Oct 2016
A huge fan of Ghibli Studios, loved this movie, if you did too, I recommend you watching Spirited Away and other Ghibli movies ^~^
Jan 11, 2017 7:05 AM

Aug 2016
As some other user said "I failed to appreciate this"

It for sure was no time wasting but just okay. Maybe my expectations just were too high as it's supposed to be a "Must watch movie" I love Totoro and I loved all Totoro scenes, he's so cute (and fluffy) but that lack of screentime @@ The movie did not really have anything else to offer for me
Jan 16, 2017 3:51 PM
Oct 2015
I got the Miyazaki box set when it first came out and I had been putting this one off for a while because I got the impression it was gonna be mainly just for children/boring. Honestly its probably one of my favorites by him. It had me smiling ear to ear the entire time. Miyazaki and the seiyuu bring Satsuki and Mei to life so well that I feel like I actually know them. Totoro is adorable. I don't really want kids but this movie makes me want to second guess it.
Feb 22, 2017 6:12 PM

Aug 2007
It's a simple movie, with pretty imagery. I personally LOVE Totoro and Catbus as character designs. They are incredibly iconic, and I think most people would agree. As for the movie itself, it's on par with Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky. It's a bit better than average, and something you should at least see once. It's a good movie to relax too.

I think the merchandise > the movie itself, tbh

6/10

Mar 11, 2017 10:15 AM

May 2016
I enjoyed the movie although the title character got less screentime than expected (I'm also looking at you, Princess Mononoke). Totoro was a little creepy to be honest... but cute with that smile in a way. Mei was annoying at times but she's a child after all.

That was a sweet flick that had great moments like that Camphor acorn sprouting and Cat Bus. Satsuki's so cute~ That ending gave me a warm feeling but reading the conspiracy article made me sad. Why the fuck do people like to ruin good things? ;_;

I'll go rate it somewhere at an 8 the morning after :3

May 2, 2017 3:20 PM

May 2010
I watched this for the first time last night. Gave it a 6. I was expecting something childish and fairly dumb, and that's what I got. Mei was annoying as hell. Satsuki was ok but generic. Totoro was disturbing, which made him interesting, but not very. I kinda liked the scene where they made stuff grow, and it did have a bit of the usual Miyazaki charm, but on the whole, not a great movie.

I voted 3.

Katakis said:
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

I just recently read the Chronicles of Narnia. Lewis was an interesting man. I've put away childish insecurity for the most part, to whatever extent I ever had it. I can enjoy Pokemon, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Disney movies as an adult. But there's a difference between Y and Y7; a difference between Spongebob and Teletubbies; a difference between Spirited Away and my neighbor Totoro. It wasn't Teletubbies, but this movie was a bit too childish for me to enjoy.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 2, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2010
Just read the conspiracy theory. Not very convincing, but it would make the movie more fun if it were true. Like Grave of the Fireflies...
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 17, 2017 12:27 PM

Apr 2017
I find the constant yelling and screaming of the little girls to be annoying. Remember I had to turn down the volume a lot while watching this film. A good film overall, but not one of Miyazakis best in my opinion.
May 21, 2017 2:58 PM

Jan 2015
That's how you do a movie, guys. This is beautiful.
Aug 19, 2017 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Just watch the movie tonight, I could say I have a mixed feeling about it. This anime portrays childhood pretty well with its 80's anime style art. But the way the movie ended left so many questions about it. What will happen next is still a mystery. Did Totoro will always be there? Where did they come from? But all in all, I could leave it as it is, a simple thing is not needed to take so far like symbolism or whatever.

Give it solid 8/10 for the fun that I got while watching it.
Aug 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Dec 2015
From the half dozen Ghibli movies I've seen thus far, this one is the best. 8/10
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 5, 2017 9:46 PM

Nov 2009
Not bad, but I won't watch it again. And the younger sister, Mei, was extremely annoying, souring my impression. Are all children her age really that way, stubborn and stupid and not listening when it counts?

Well, 6.5/10, rounded to 7/10, for the relaxing atmosphere, but out of the Ghibli movies I've seen thus far, this one is the worst.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 20, 2017 12:29 PM

Dec 2016
A beautiful movie that truly captures childlike wonder, curiosity, and adventure. A true classic!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 30, 2017 8:14 AM

May 2010
Ah I prefer Spirited Away and Majo no Takkyuubin by miles.
Jan 8, 2018 4:43 PM

Nov 2017
I can see this becoming one of my favorite Ghibli movies, it was very easy to get lost in the world of this one. Simple, yet thought provoking, really enjoyed it.
Feb 14, 2018 1:04 PM

May 2016
To be honest I didn't enjoyed it, for most part was these little annoying brats laughing and running, I know well that they wanted to illustrate a children like attitude and simple form but this was way too annoying to watch the only thing that was good about it was Totoro I really fell in love with him right away 7/10.
Mar 3, 2018 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
I really wanted to see this film again because I think it is the best film for children made by the Ghibli studio, and that can also be used by adults. Simple and fun, it has that right touch of magic and fantasy. Graphically it is perfect, given the age it has.

8.5/10
Mar 8, 2018 11:23 PM

Jan 2017
This was really good. A very feel-good story, with an interesting setting and good story.

Mar 26, 2018 7:15 AM

Apr 2016
Another masterpiece of Ghabli
BRAWLERS
Aug 18, 2018 10:55 PM

Jul 2017
So good. Once I got past the fake and bad theory, I was able to appreciate the film immensely. The granny reminded me of two old ladies that lived up the street from me when I was a child. I was sad to see the granny crying and worrying about the children. Some of the scenes have an amazing mystery quality to them, specifically when the children are waiting for the bus and when the big tree is growing in the yard. Totoro and his pals copying the umbrella was cute.
Oct 14, 2018 12:42 PM

Oct 2018
That little brat was annoying
Nov 8, 2018 2:23 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Honestly don't see why this is revered as a great movie for all ages. I feel like it might have been good for me, if I was under the age of 10 but now it was just boring, bland and felt like nothing happened. I've seen good anime movies that are primarily for kids but fit the "all ages" group well, this aint one to me.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 23, 2018 2:24 PM

Sep 2011
This one isn't between my favorites from the studio, but it's great, truly iconic. The ending sequence is so precious too, it shows them living a simple, yet happy and fulfilling life. I love it! Totoro is also cute and fluffy!

♪~ Tonari no To to ro Totoro ~♪
Mar 8, 2019 4:44 PM

Sep 2018
I love Totoro, I like to buy a big stuff toy of Totoro in Japan someday hahah :D and go to Ghibli museum!

Apr 19, 2019 2:41 PM

Dec 2016
What's the point of this anime? Holy it was so boring i skipped half of it, 2/10
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
May 11, 2019 2:27 PM
Jan 2019
A film especially for children. I think it's the first more peaceful film produced by Studio Ghibli (no one died xD).
May 25, 2019 9:30 AM

Sep 2018
Films that wink at an even younger audience than in past Studio Ghibli films. Here Hayao Miyazaki nods his hand in the many backgrounds that reflect a nature so uncontaminated and in the many views purely dedicated to the horizon in which the sky stands out in its most varied aspects. Great for relaxing and enjoying the exceptional quality of the designs and the scenographic effects. The "fantasy" aspect is already predominant from the first minutes, for a crescendo that reaches the end of the movie. Again Joe Hisaishi has a hand in it, and it feels.

8/10
Sep 2, 2019 6:41 PM

Dec 2018
Why did I cry at the growing tree scene?
Nov 4, 2019 3:35 PM

Feb 2017
If I had to pick one word to describe this film it would be Exuberance. The best Slice of Life film, even if it doesn't have the genre tag.
eski514Nov 10, 2019 6:26 AM
Feb 14, 2020 7:18 AM

Jan 2012
I wasn't expecting myself to love this movie as much as I did because I knew that the target audience for the movie are kids. But I absolutely loved and enjoyed the movie- from the very beginning till the very end. The animation is so beautiful and every character is very likable.
Mar 3, 2020 9:51 AM

Feb 2019
Loved the atmosphere this movie created.
Mar 19, 2020 9:56 PM

Dec 2015
It's plain, it's simple, it's not funny, yet it was able to put a big smile on my face from the beginning to the end. Perhaps I have watched too much stupid fan service junk.

I haven't seen all of Miyazaki yet, but this is definitely my favorite along with Laputa and Kiki. I guess I really do enjoy his earlier works a lot more. 10/10.
XXXXXXXXXIIIMar 19, 2020 10:08 PM
Mar 20, 2020 8:32 AM

Nov 2019
Beautiful movie. 7/10
Apr 6, 2020 2:55 AM
Nov 2015
To to ro Totoro!

This movie is a gift from Studio Ghibli to every child all around the world.
May 4, 2020 9:04 PM

Aug 2018
What A great/Beautiful Movie Just Amazing
Overall 8/10
May 17, 2020 11:57 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Despite how little this show explained to me with the adventurous of those two kids, on the other hand the Studio Ghiblis never dissapointed me from its masterpiece works. Tonari no Totoro showed me how well their creation was, and im really glad as their fan. The storyline was okay. The comedical parts were stunning, Mei activity was a gold comedy, while in the other hand Satsuki laugh was pure gold legendary happiness. Totoro grin tho, make me wanna smirk at everytime forever. So addictive, yet so overwhelming with joy. What else? Oh, the art was great. The animations were really nice, remembering this show a legend. Sounds and musics into the background of the story was okay, marking my favourite on Mei vocal dubbings. Her laugh was hilarious, yet so heart-warming in the same time.

Okay, thats all i guess. I really glad to see this little show. Maybe im just too late to even release, but my hope for the continuations of this show really on my top of the wish.

10/10
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 4, 2020 12:25 PM

Jul 2016
Very cute and charming as hell movie.

I'm not a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki films (besides Princess Mononoke which is one of my favorite movies of all time), but it has nothing to do with him at all as I appreciate his imagination and great art style. It's just his films are usually geared towards a younger audience.

With that said.. I enjoyed this! I think I needed a break from serious anime and violence. This was a great breath of fresh air.
Jun 11, 2020 9:38 PM

Jul 2008
I watched it and now I understand to hype.

I want a Totoro.

Very sweet and enjoyable. Gets a 9/10 for me.
Jun 24, 2020 12:31 PM
May 2020
Half the movie was these two girl runnin' lol

I enjoyed the movie and I loved Totoro! This was my second Ghibli film, so far so good.

8/10.
Jul 5, 2020 5:08 PM
Jul 2009
The backgrounds are so beautiful. Of course my favorite part was the cat bus though :D It looks so comfy on the inside.
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Jul 7, 2020 7:53 PM

Sep 2018
Wasn’t no spirited away but it was a fantastic movie. Timeless classic.
Jul 20, 2020 7:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow I actually watched this one quite a lot when I was a kid and loved it, now I just rewatched it and it was still really cute to watch, loved the surnatural things and the animation!
Aug 5, 2020 11:02 PM

Sep 2018
A studio Ghibli film that's obviously targeted at kids. I probably would have given it a 10/10 as a child, still pretty good, 8/10.
Sep 3, 2020 10:06 PM

Aug 2018
Studio Ghibli just keeps suprising me since I started to watch all their films few days ago. This is definitely one of most Uplifting films of all time and a very nostalgic one. It brought me back to the childhood with amazing and original story, very great visuals and a beautiful musical scores that Ghibli is known for.

I'l let this one slip to a 10 with a 9.5/10 score.
Oct 21, 2020 3:04 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
It was good, I enjoyed it but It's not one of their best movies imho.
Still they really make great movies all along!

Oct 31, 2020 2:36 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
A legendary movie that I'm only seeing now, amazing.
Nov 28, 2020 1:04 AM
Aug 2016
To be honest, I don't know how to rate this movie given my current age, 29 this year. As the movie name suggests, Tonari no Totoro, My Neighbour Totoro, so it means a lot of screeentime should be given to Totoro and the kids? Plus the description suggest magical adventure. Erm..beside a tour to the sky and cat bus, I don't see how big of an adventure it is.

The movie seems like catering both kids and adult as it adds mother illness as one of the themes, but honestly its not necessary. The movie doesn't even needs the father, the granny and Kanta, the dad will just need to be present in the first min of characters introductory and thats it.

This movie is definitely not bad, perhaps i will have a different opinion if I watch it 20 years back.

I feel that movie should just keep things simple, especially the story.
Dec 21, 2020 8:29 AM

Mar 2016
such a beautiful movie, i really enjoyed it!

i started it over a month ago and couldn't get through it so it was on hold, i am glad i finally finished it <3

Dec 27, 2020 4:59 PM

Jan 2020
this was a tough one for me to rate.
as much as i loved the aspect of it. i was bored for about 50% of the movie.
the only parts that did make me interested was whenever totoro was there & when mei was missing. it was pretty obvious that totoro was gonna help satsuki and save mei though.

the movie did not make me excited to the point where i would pull an all-nighter and stay up all night just to complete it. there was no tension, it wasn't exciting.

but it was soothing. just to relax and watch something with outstanding animation. and with great OST.

overall:
+animation was outstanding
+OST is pretty epic
+totoro is an iconic character
+adorable
+great for kids
+reminds you of your childhood

-got boring sometimes
-totoro needed way more screen time (seriously he was there for like only 15 minutes)
-the ED & OP aren't something im a fan of

Final Score: 7/10
Jan 15, 2021 9:56 AM

May 2015
Maybe I'm to old or something, but this movie is boring(?). Honestly what is a main plot of this show? It's not some summer adventure or drama. Mother is not dying or Totoro isn't sick or forgotten. Hell his(?) its(?) screentime is so short that sometimes he might be gone and the movie would be the same. I don't get hype this movie has. Main plot is nonexisting.

Still such waste of time. 5 is only for rural setting and overall great animation. Cheers.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» If Dwarf Inc. make a Stop Motion remake of My Neighboor Totoro

lupeco98 - Nov 14, 2023

1 by Serafos »»
Nov 14, 2023 10:41 PM

» Lil blue guy?

Amber_4shenfell - Sep 24, 2023

2 by AnD_MaN_03 »»
Sep 25, 2023 3:42 AM

» Favorite Totoro Bus Stop Parody

Cestlavie_ - Jun 18, 2022

10 by GhibliMerch »»
Jul 7, 2023 2:17 AM

» My Neighbor Totoro...How many of you have watched it?:]

Shiawase_Ria - Mar 13, 2010

16 by Araxz »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:28 AM

» The impending doom of My Neighbor Totoro

raabyray - Mar 3, 2022

16 by emiko_uchiha »»
Mar 21, 2022 9:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.