Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 28, 2008 6:29 PM

just had some friends talk about soft n hard subs.. but what is soft n hard subs?
what is better soft or hard subs?
what is the difference between them?
lil help! :s

Jan 28, 2008 9:06 PM

Hard subs are encoded directly into the video, so when you watch the video, you have to see the subtitles. Softsubs are like captions, you can turn them on if you want, or you can turn them off. Most of the time, softsubs are included with the video file in an mkv container, so you just have to download the correct codec or player to watch the release exactly the way the fansubbers intended. However, sometimes the fansubbers release only the subtitle file and you have to download the video separately.

Personally, I prefer soft-subs because you can edit them. For instance, if you hate the color or font of the subtitles, you can change them to what you prefer. Also, since you're not really encoding the video itself, the quality of the subbed version is a lot better for softsubs than hardsubs. The only real downside of softsubs is that some people don't understand how to play them, but if you have the cccp installed, you should be fine.

Jan 28, 2008 9:19 PM

how do you do things like change the color, do u need a program to do it?
sorry im noob :p

Mar 16, 2008 4:32 PM

ranax said:
how do you do things like change the color, do u need a program to do it?
sorry im noob :p

Depends of the program you gonna use. To watch Anime with soft subs you need a program with a option that allow put subtitles.
I use VLC Player and there's a option to personalize the subs, The size and color.

but I never tried, I prefer hard subs.

Apr 17, 2008 9:16 PM
I prefer hard subs. Font is nicer/cooler. And I've had problems with soft subs not being synced correctly, or part of the sub gets cut off.

May 28, 2008 6:50 AM
yeah i think i'm a fan of hard subs, too. can't edit them but they're usually done so you don't have to :)

Jun 21, 2008 10:26 AM

My computer can't handle a lot of anime downloading, so I end up watching on streaming websites, like youtube. I've never experienced soft subs.

Someday, though, someday I'll get a nice computer!

Jul 6, 2008 7:50 PM
^^ actually, I'm in the same boat, so I usually stream as well.

Jul 7, 2008 1:09 PM

idk y but i like hard subs better...

soft subs actually really bug me 4 sum reason..

lol ^_^

Sep 3, 2008 3:56 PM

hard subs for when im going to convert and put on dvd to watch on my tv

Jan 5, 2009 9:26 PM

Hard subs for sure. If you are watching something in a language you don't understand, why would you even ever turn subtitles off?
I'm back.

Jan 30, 2009 7:03 AM

softsubs are handy... you can edit font styles, typos, timing issues yourself.

But i hear softsub formats like mkv and ogm becomes difficult if you want to play it on a dvd player. I know, hardsubs come in these formats too, just not as much.

Jun 2, 2009 11:07 PM

softsub. Because I can watch it raw and still present it to my anime club.

Oct 18, 2009 9:04 AM

Itena said:
My computer can't handle a lot of anime downloading, so I end up watching on streaming websites, like youtube. I've never experienced soft subs.

Someday, though, someday I'll get a nice computer!
oh my god, but still i recommend you to download!

i have minimum space left too on my PC, there nothing i realy want to delete. so everytime i watch a new anime i gotta delete the previous one, but its soo much better then streaming : )

the audio and video quality are very important for me to fully enjoy it.

Oct 23, 2009 9:05 AM

There's nothing worse than hardsubs, because you wanna make a screenshot, and there is no way to put away those letters... ^_^

Jan 18, 2010 9:20 AM

I'd actually prefer hard subs better. It's usually comes in a better compressed video format, than most of the soft subs. Plus, hard subs are easier to convert to a format for portable devices (iPod, PSP, etc). It doesn't involve the hassle of getting a proper converter that converts soft subs with the subtitles.

But, I admit getting the soft subs are easier for screen shots. :P

Mar 8, 2010 6:29 PM

i prefer softsubs, you get better video quality and...... yeah, thats all i have :P oh yes, i dont need avi...... i do's all my watching on me laptop. ^^

Mar 24, 2010 5:10 AM

I only watch hard subs, but I've never seen a site with softsubs, so..

Mar 26, 2010 10:10 AM

Softsubs of course :D The video quality is better than the hardsubs videos, and I can use the softsubs videos to my amvs :)

Aug 10, 2010 6:52 AM

softsubs :) better video quality !!

Aug 15, 2010 1:27 AM

hard subs - less messing around.

Oct 29, 2011 8:03 PM

Software-rendered subtitles are flexible. Hardcoded subtitles are not flexible.

Dec 8, 2011 11:30 PM

I prefer hardcore hard subs!

Jul 23, 2012 7:20 AM

Soft subs all the way for me. Why?
1. You can adjust them, so if you are far away from the screen, or the colour is hard to see, no problem. I like to increase the default size a little, and make them bright yellow with a shadow for readability.
2. You can turn them off. I'm learning Japanese so sometimes it's desirable. Other times, the translation is just SO damn bad, its painful.
3. You can turn them off. Try it sometime with a show you've watched before, it's quite amazing how much you can miss in the animation while reading.

Nov 2, 2014 11:06 AM

softsubs > hardsubs. no contest

in episode 5 of Log Horizon season 2, horriblesubs put the wrong sub.
if i had hardsub, i'd be stuck with the wrong sub, and have to use a different sub on top of the hardsub. as you can imagine, it'd be messy and ugly. (imagine 4 lines of text while watching the anime)

with softsub, i can simply disable the sub, and simply load a different sub
i can also disable the subs during the opening/ending themes, and enable it whenever i want
i can even disable it just to take a screenshot if i want it. with hardsubs, i have no choice but take screenshots with the ugly text.

best would be separate subs, in which i can edit the sub itself, add or remove lines, etc.
softsub is good enough though.

edit: ah, and as above said, you can change the font size. with hardsubs, you're stuck with w/e font they put.

Nov 17, 2014 12:36 PM

jadsanime said:
hard subs - less messing around.

Yeah, I don't really need the extra functionality soft subs provide, so I stick to the basics. Hard subs all the way.

Nov 17, 2014 7:15 PM

On one hand, soft subs allow for screen shots. On another hand, hard subs are easier to convert for your devices. At the end of the day, I prefer hard subs.

I would rather not go through too much hassle in converting if i want anime on my phone. I also like putting my anime in my external hard drive and hooking it up to my TV, so hard subs beat soft subs in that regard. TV internal subbing = bad, and the captions on translations of stuff in the bg (like, a translated sign on the bg or something) sometimes override the text of what the characters are saying, and I understand less of what's going on until the scene changes. If I were to use hard subbed, I would have no such problems, and I get to keep the better font, karaoke, etc.

Feb 7, 2017 2:47 AM
How do I get rid of soft subs? My tv wont play them and I hate watching anime on my computer.