Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2009 10:20 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For some reason I really liked this episode, I liked the action and specially the development of Hayase.

Another Macross-punching through a battleship scene! Great.
Dec 4, 2009 12:31 PM

Apr 2009
Damn that Kaifun is beginning to really get on my nerves with his holier than thou attitude... and lets not mention Minmay's incestuous tendencies of late...
Jan 7, 2010 4:47 PM

Oct 2009
That episode made me hungry for some Chinese spare ribs.
Jan 8, 2011 11:58 PM

Aug 2008
the action was nice, but a whole lot of people need to be Brightslapped. Would someone please hold Kaifun down for me so I can stomp him in the nuts? Ugh!
Apr 4, 2011 3:18 AM

May 2008
DonKangolJones said:
the action was nice, but a whole lot of people need to be Brightslapped.
Lol, I agree with this xD
May 4, 2011 8:01 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Kaifun bothers me as well. Nothing is anywhere near as black and white as he seems to think it is. And, Minmay? Oi..

I really do like Hayase, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 16, 2011 8:11 PM

Apr 2009
DonKangolJones said:
the action was nice, but a whole lot of people need to be Brightslapped. Would someone please hold Kaifun down for me so I can stomp him in the nuts? Ugh!

Unfortunately Bright Noa isn't available, and Captain...uhmm Commodore Global wouldn't probably resort to such tactics to "correct" people, though I'll gladly help you if you'd let me. XD I think Misa is one of the people that needs to be Brightslapped. I don't know why Kaifun reminds Misa of Riber so much, they don't resemble each other anyway!

Alas86 said:
and lets not mention Minmay's incestuous tendencies of late...

Yup Minmay should be double, no... triple Brightslapped, but not on the face since she still have to appear on TV soon. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 24, 2011 1:59 PM

Feb 2010
tofei said:
DonKangolJones said:

Unfortunately Bright Noa isn't available, and Captain...uhmm Commodore Global wouldn't probably resort to such tactics to "correct" people, though I'll gladly help you if you'd let me. XD I think Misa is one of the people that needs to be Brightslapped. I don't know why Kaifun reminds Misa of Riber so much, they don't resemble each other anyway!

Alas86 said:
and lets not mention Minmay's incestuous tendencies of late...

Yup Minmay should be double, no... triple Brightslapped, but not on the face since she still have to appear on TV soon. LOL

lol... wow good one :P. Yea too bad Bright isn't available his Brightslapps were quite entertaining for me.
Sheepshaman.png
Jun 27, 2012 8:16 PM

May 2010
One slap for Kaifun, two slaps for Lynn, and three slaps for Misa.

That's all I have to say.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 25, 2013 2:36 AM

Feb 2010
I'd gladly spank Misa for being a bad girl. And more...
She even needs it. Next time she may again try to die foolishly or something unless there would be a somewhat manly man around to help.

Bar fight!
Great punching from Hikaru and the ever prodigious Max but Kakizaki sadly is not around to show his famed HtH prowes, oh well.

Ok, so Kaifun is not a fighter himself, and he does hate military. Big deal. But everyone seem to be uncomfortable about it for some reason.

Misa got it real bad this episode, even daydreaming during combat. Events of last days seem to be too much for her, and that first love interest again, plus Hikaru unwittingly hitting the spot.
Speaking of which, he didn't kick the bucket only by grace of plot magic this time.

Poor Misa nearly killing Hikaru (and everyone in between), I think that's enough disaster from our pacifistic friend, someone has to stand up to him with some hard truth. Brawl is not recommended in that case... or ask me to do it, at least I know what to expect from kung-fu :D )
I'd stare him down for making Misa-chan sad =_=

Anyway, I still don't get battle sequences. They seem to save their budget making filler ones which are straightforward, and I wonder just how many fighters they have there on Macross to throw on enemy as they do.

Speaking of.. Commodore :D Global, he better get ready to some rioting. Civilians would be realy unhappy, knowing U.N. has written them off already BUT at least they wouldn't bitch at their crew on Macross so much if were told the truth (well, military are still responsible for the town going to space), being in one boat. I still wouldn't keep them on board by force - if someone wants to leave, HQ can kiss commander's ass - he has other things to do than keeping them in.
burbelsMay 25, 2013 2:40 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 31, 2014 2:00 AM

Jan 2011
Except the safest place for them is probably on board. The Macross is an asset that isn't going to be just thrown away. 56,000 civilians who've already been declared dead have no military value whatsoever. I'm sure that is also part of Global's calculation. Misa's father's insistence that she leave the Macross is a good indication that they're probably going to send the ship out on a suicide run.

And if Minmay doesn't spend some significant time with Hikaru in the hospital, I'm going to slap her myself...
rodacMar 31, 2014 2:05 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 18, 2015 7:24 PM

Mar 2014
Aw man the fight scene. Look at all that jank animation. Yeah!!

This episode is the Macross I enjoy. I really like the ratcheting up of the political drama, and the focus on the civilian side of the ship is really what this show excels at, far more than the alien drama which is pretty lame to be honest. (That whole small arc where they were trapped on the zentradi ship was dull going.)

Misa is clearly having doubts about her lifelong devotion to the military, and what war and violence truly mean. I like the human aspect of this show a lot. It handles these themes with surprising delicacy and nuance
Aug 24, 2015 3:55 AM

May 2013
XOTIK said:
I like the human aspect of this show a lot. It handles these themes with surprising delicacy and nuance

Yeah, I'm really in this show for the human aspect than the action and the aliens right now. I just find it really interesting although it's not to say that the action and the aliens are bad, they're just not as good imo.

Misa has really got to get it together. She almost killed Hikaru! I hope she finds out and she visits him in the hospital...cuz i ship them.
Nov 9, 2015 1:22 AM

Jan 2014
This was really amusing and the next episode sounds like it could be even better. :)
Sep 29, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2013
Okay, now i think that i can see why so many people hate Min May, she was incredibly annoying this episode.
Aug 10, 2017 10:01 AM

Dec 2015
Aha, awkward moment when the militaries faced the chinese kenpô hippy, voiced by a future regular for chinese martial artists (Shiryû, Ten Shin Han).
I liked Misa's reflecting but the choice to trigger it through Kaifun was weird (the reaction seemed out-of-place).

DonKangolJones said:
A whole lot of people need to be Brightslapped. Would someone please hold Kaifun down for me so I can stomp him in the nuts?

Too bad Bright is busy playing the kung-fu fighter.

4/5 Jealous Hikaru was cute.

Minmei wearing some horror mask: XD
Rei_IIIAug 10, 2017 11:11 AM
Nov 23, 2017 1:26 AM

Feb 2014
MC-kuns sure have it easy these days. Minmay just keeps getting more and more annoying with each episode, and going by the preview, she's going to torment him even in his dreams.
Sep 9, 2019 12:41 PM

Feb 2012
Dammit Kaifun and your ideals...

Misa gets a reality check.
When you're a military officer but the ghost of your dead fiance is a pacifist...you zone out during a crucial moment of the battle and risk the lives of your soldiers.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 23, 2020 1:24 PM

Feb 2017
Kaifun may not be Misa's Riber but there might be some connection? Anyway, really dislike that guy as a person so far and also how Minmay behaves around him.
Apr 5, 2020 3:22 AM
Sep 2019
Minmay has officially taken the spot as my most hated anime character of all time with this one. Surely there are more vile characters around out there however this thot is played off as 'good' which just make it all worse. Hikaru is driving me crazy too with his misogynistic tendencies and the fact he's still chasing this girl who's giving him 0 attention and basically makes out with her cousin in the backseat while laughing at him.

On the flip side I am really liking Hayase, enough that her failings in this episode can be brushed off as a personal crisis rather than a character failing. Also like Global a lot although he's a bit underdeveloped at he moment, I am kind of hoping Global and Hayase gets together but she seems thirsty for cousin Cuck sadly.
Jul 12, 2020 8:50 AM

Aug 2017
I wonder why was the Lynn family separated? Is this related to the Unification wars?

The reason Misa was so shocked to see Kaifun is that he has a similar voice to her deceased boyfriend, Riber (they're played by the same guy, Suzuoki Hirotaka). He also played Bright from Gundam :3
Now imagine if Misa leaves the military for Kaifun :p Minmay's lack of reaction to the brawl was kinda strange though.

I absolutely loved it when Misa's eye morphed into the sun, so beautiful

Also don't get the hate for Kaifun. He's a normal guy.
St0rmbladeJul 12, 2020 8:56 AM
Sep 27, 2021 11:44 AM

Apr 2011
Good episode, feels like it’s getting more experimental. The bar fight scene to slow piano music and abstract black and white stills. Both Hikaru and Hayase having their thoughts elsewhere in the middle of an attack. Claudia spotting Hayase’s disconnect was brilliantly expressed! The reactions of Kaifun’s mother and father likewise. And the whole storyline with the quarantine, how foresighted, haha!
Aug 8, 2022 12:17 AM

Sep 2016
Again with that "My boyfriend is a pilot" song... I think it's such a bland song, and it doesn't have that "oomph" to it. She could at least sing something else.
That's probably because I've watched Frontier first, though. Every song in that show was a spectacle and a grand space opera, but here... I can cut it some slack because it's the 80s, but eh... it's still pretty bland musically compared to Frontier (and I can't stop comparing since I listen to those songs religiously throughout my day-to-day)
Aug 8, 2022 12:34 PM

Dec 2021
Hikaru is now hung out to dry with zero emotional support xD Both of his girls leave him emotionally for the same guy too.

The show does do a good job of making you feel the emotional injustice of it all, but i find the female motivations of "care-free girl just enjoying herself" and "clinical PTSD forces by-the-numbers girl to make life threatening decisions at the most crucial moments" a bit underdeveloped and unearned respectively.

Mar 28, 2023 5:56 PM

May 2016
The way Minmay is treating Hikaru is making me furious.
Mar 28, 2023 5:58 PM

May 2016
OgaZoSo said:
Again with that "My boyfriend is a pilot" song... I think it's such a bland song, and it doesn't have that "oomph" to it. She could at least sing something else.
That's probably because I've watched Frontier first, though. Every song in that show was a spectacle and a grand space opera, but here... I can cut it some slack because it's the 80s, but eh... it's still pretty bland musically compared to Frontier (and I can't stop comparing since I listen to those songs religiously throughout my day-to-day)
Anything Yoko Kanno touches is gonna have amazing music. Macross Frontier set the bar too high. But yeah the “My boyfriend is a pilot" song is over used at this point in the story

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 4 Discussion

kiririnshi - Sep 15, 2009

36 by giannis85 »»
Mar 6, 10:58 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

71 by Daze_Daze_Yare »»
Dec 20, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 24 Discussion

JuicyBuddha - Jan 8, 2010

31 by YingZhe »»
Sep 30, 2023 8:01 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Jun 9, 2008

116 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 2:29 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 35 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

41 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.