Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 22, 2007 1:10 AM

Jan 2007
It was a pretty tame episode this time. Wasn't really suprising since this is a part 1 of an arc. It really interesting to see what contracters have to do in order to fulfill their contract. Next episode should have lots of action. Definitely looking forward to it.
Apr 22, 2007 1:55 AM

Oct 2006
It's out? O_o where did you find it?
Apr 22, 2007 2:41 AM

Jul 2006
Ohhh its out! Gotta get my hands on it!
Apr 22, 2007 1:16 PM

Apr 2007
Good episode as usual. I enjoyed it but I hope it starts moving a little faster. Still waiting for that CC girl to show up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2007 1:22 PM

Jan 2007
I hope we don't end with new disposable character every-over-week story lines for half the show. :-/ I end up liking them and then they die, and that's no fun. I mean, it's cool that we learn more about the world in the process, but come on. ^.^;; This isn't Jigoku Shoujo, guys.
Apr 22, 2007 9:53 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
bettynoire said:
I hope we don't end with new disposable character every-over-week story lines for half the show. :-/ I end up liking them and then they die, and that's no fun. I mean, it's cool that we learn more about the world in the process, but come on. ^.^;; This isn't Jigoku Shoujo, guys.

Exactly what I think betty. I'll be pretty disappointed if this show throws that around.

Good episode, though not a lot really happened. Lin seems like a genuinely nice guy too. Lin ftw.
Apr 22, 2007 11:22 PM

Mar 2007
Yeah, I like this fire starter chick, already. Even if they don't die, it's probable we'll never see them again after the 2 episodes they feature in.

I hope that doesn't happen.

Otherwise it was a good episode. Made it clear what Hei's contract is, he has to eat a bunch.

Apr 23, 2007 4:31 AM

Aug 2006
Still not sure about the eating as a contract... I mean... his stomach was rumbling after all... it's not like he did something for his "contract" then went out and ate.

As for me... my favorite part of the episode was in the comic releif... with the old lady and the cat. When Lin said "It might taste good." That poor cat... lol. Anyway, like the rest of you, I'm hoping we're not going to have too many disposable characters, but it's early yet... we shall see...
Apr 23, 2007 5:10 AM

Jan 2007
FurubaFan said:
it's not like he did something for his "contract" then went out and ate.

Didn't he light up the amusement park? I figured his contract had to do with electricity since it was hinted at before. And in the next episode preview I'm pretty sure someone says that contracts don't have to be fulfilled immediately, right? Just that the longer they go without fulfilling them the more intense they are.

*Shrugs* I dunno, just saying.

I actually liked this ep a lot. It may have had something to do with the fact my computer died twice while watching, but by the end of the episode I had forgotten about the beginning, which made me feel like the pacing was well done. Now I'm just anxious to see what happens next. :/ I must agree with what some people have said here, I hope that the story levels out and gets a little less Bond-esque. I didn't like that in Jing and I doubt i'll like it here, though currently the show's not in danger of losing my interest *nods*
woo.

Apr 23, 2007 5:15 AM

Apr 2007
I think it is true about his contract. I mean its the only activity we see him preform regularly and his "partners" dont seem to ever comment on it. The Girl was freaking awesome in this episode, I really hope she doesnt die like the last girl we saw.
Apr 23, 2007 5:38 AM

Mar 2007
FurubaFan said:
Still not sure about the eating as a contract... I mean... his stomach was rumbling after all... it's not like he did something for his "contract" then went out and ate.

He lit up the amusement park, then as soon as they left he's shown eating bowl after bowl of...something. I thought that made it pretty obvious.

Apr 23, 2007 5:53 AM

Aug 2006
Omega_Pirate said:
FurubaFan said:

He lit up the amusement park, then as soon as they left he's shown eating bowl after bowl of...something. I thought that made it pretty obvious.

Hahaha... yeah... didn't even think about that (y'all forgive... I'm slow =/)
Apr 23, 2007 6:35 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Omega_Pirate said:
FurubaFan said:

Yeah, that's what makes me believe "eating" is what he must do to balance out his contract usage. Lame, but oh well, someone probably has to have it, right? :)
Apr 23, 2007 7:02 AM

Aug 2006
You know... Sandy and I were discussing this episode last night... and disucssing the "contracts" and the different things these guys have to do...

...we started wondering... what if these guys are basically "spirits" of some sorts... of the "spirits" supply the powers, and their "pennance" for using the power is something that, for whatever reason, meant a lot to that person... like the guy lining up the stones... or the guy eating dandilions... etc...

I know it seems kinda out there... but that's kinda our theory for now.. although, how that would apply to the guy that broke his fingers... =/
Apr 23, 2007 7:14 AM

Apr 2007
Well I wanna expand on that a bit Chelle:

The theory is perhaps the way these guys get there powers is for performing a task of meaning to a spirit currently passed away. Like the guy that lined up stones the spirit could have been someone who loved to play that one game that Japanese play that is like chess. Or the guy that eats Dandilion's spirit had a special memory or connection to that particular flower/weed.

As for the fingers guy my explination is this...Spirits can be both evil or good. Perhaps some wish to continue living through the "Contraters" or having there memories paid tribute to by certin actions. But perhaps others, wish for sacrafices to there memory.

The main basis for this comes from my very limited and basic knowledge of Shinto. Which is a type of ansector worship. A very very basic way of saying something is as you get reincarnated and get closer to having lived the perfect life, you grow in power / influence. Until you sorta become some kind of demi-god. (very very layman explination give to me along time ago.)

Maybe these spirits are the "demi-gods" able to manifest themselves thanks to the devils gate. At least thats my thinking behind it.
Apr 23, 2007 8:03 AM

Mar 2007
It actually turned out interesting, so I guess I'll stick to it =]
That girl was pretty dam kool with that fire ability.
Apr 23, 2007 8:52 PM

Oct 2006
I'll be very disappointed if this girl gets killed off too, though not as disappointed as I was when the last one died.

In any case, I thought it was a good episode for being short on action and such.
Apr 23, 2007 9:25 PM

Apr 2007
Well judging by the preview it looks like this series is going to run on 2 episode arc's, which I'm not a big fan of but as long as this series keeps on being so awesome I don't think I'll have any reason to complain :)

I am however a little sad that it seems we have to wait for every second episode for the action :P
Apr 24, 2007 2:50 AM

Apr 2007
I didn't mind the first girl dying, she got on my nerves, but I hope this one stays for a while, and not just because girls dying all the time is dull =(

Is it weird that I thought Lin was BORING during the first two episodes, but fell in love with him after he took out the garbage? ...Don't answer that :3
Apr 24, 2007 3:56 AM

Oct 2006
hm I wasn't really impressed with this one, but maybe that's just 'coz I had seen moribito's episode before this one.

Anyway I agree that it seems obvious that he has to eat (a lot) to balance the contract.
On another note.. at least until episode 6 it seems the show is gonna run on 2 epidos arcs... I'm growing really skeptic about this way of running the show...
Apr 24, 2007 5:17 AM

Apr 2007
I dunno why that is such a bad thing. I could definetly live on 2 ep arcs. Waaay better then DBZ or Naruto that is for sure.
Apr 24, 2007 8:05 AM

Jan 2007
With the full episode count still TBA, I'm not surprised about the two episode arcs. Sooner or later we'll get around to The Big One, but until then...part 1 and part 2. I don't mind it, personally. Better to set up the character and the story than to rush through it all.

So...this episode. Another great one, I say, even without a ton of action. The little girl is WAY less annoying than the last chick. And I loved the part with the cat.

What was up with the little electric wave at the beginning, though? It like stopped and stared at him when he was hanging up his laundry. Would he look at himself? Or is that another person that controls the wires?
Apr 24, 2007 8:20 AM

Oct 2006
That wasn't electricity, it was water. That's the girl that he works with's ability - she uses water to spy on people and such.
Apr 24, 2007 8:21 AM

Apr 2007
Krelian said:
That wasn't electricity, it was water. That's the girl that he works with's ability - she uses water to spy on people and such.

At the beginning of the ep though, you could see survellance spectors going through the electric wires. Its probly a different doll than the girl.
Apr 24, 2007 4:53 PM

Nov 2004
or she just used water to run along the wires =)

great ep, really like this girl, hope she stays
Apr 24, 2007 4:57 PM

Oct 2006
That's what I figured - they didn't look like electricity to me.
Apr 28, 2007 1:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Finally got around to watch it. It's true it was a bit slow, but as Faust said, that's nothing suprising at the beginning of an Arc. Had a few predictable parts but it was again very pretty. Besides the funny bits, the sound stood out a lot as well. When they were walking on the traintracks for instance. Can't wait for shinsen to sub ep 4.

[edit]: Sorry for the doublepost, I'll merge them later in case someone replies. But have you all seen that note in this ep saying that the first DVD will be out July 25th? Does that mean it got licensed? - Thx Faust.
cyruzApr 28, 2007 2:21 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 28, 2007 5:03 PM

Jan 2007
I assumed it meant the Japanese release would be July 25th. I'd be shocked if a. it had been picked up that fast and b. would be ready to release that fast anywhere else.
Apr 28, 2007 10:21 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, that's what Faust told me on the IRC channel as well. I was just a bit surprised :D.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 29, 2007 5:09 AM

Nov 2004
Got around to watching this. Hmm, no comment. Just another introduction-like episode where you learn some random person's background. Since I always watch episodes late I think I'll stop posting in these individual episode threads now.
Apr 29, 2007 1:03 PM

Jan 2005
Great episode! Please don't die new girl! :P Got flashbacks from Witch Hunter Robin when she used that fire.
Jun 13, 2008 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
The new girl was pretty awesome >.<

I was thinking of Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist..... I kinda like the contractors who end things in a slightly... bloodier way :P

StabbyPWNSJun 17, 2008 8:00 PM

Sig WILL change soon~
Jun 17, 2008 7:58 PM

Mar 2008
Damn, I like that new girl! She is awesome. :D

If Li's contracter payment thing is he has to eat alot, I'm going to be seriously disapointed. So, one guy has to break his fingers, the other has some sort of OCD ritual, and one just eats a lot (and stays skinny.) It hardly seems fair...
Jun 5, 2009 4:24 AM

May 2008
It was a pretty tame episode this time. Wasn't really suprising since this is a part 1 of an arc. It really interesting to see what contracters have to do in order to fulfill their contract. Next episode should have lots of action. Definitely looking forward to it.
Jun 26, 2009 12:03 AM

Dec 2008
the "new girl" mai seems to be an interesting character. and just like chiaki, li was rather quick to befriend her.
Jul 9, 2009 11:26 AM

Dec 2007
I guess that each star represents someone with a power. The flower is somehow connected to that.
Oct 13, 2009 7:48 AM

Apr 2008
kinda interesting =D

Dec 14, 2009 2:06 PM

Sep 2009
It's becoming addicting, I can hardly wait for next episode!
May 25, 2010 11:49 PM

Sep 2009
I like this new girl. I starting to get into this a little bit now. I hope nothing bad happens to this new girl as well.
Sep 9, 2010 2:08 PM

Aug 2009
i wish the arcs where longer, but still it's pretty early to say.
It wasn't a bad episode. although i missed some action.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Oct 14, 2010 12:51 AM

Oct 2008
I 'm starting to really like this show. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 5, 2011 4:48 PM

Jul 2010
i just this one doesnt end up dying, that would be a sad life for her to have...

Dec 28, 2011 3:13 PM

Dec 2010
bettynoire said:

This sounds somewhat funny coming out from user with Ai Enma avatar =P But you're quite right, I'd hate if this girl dies... just like the rest of MAL as I see... :D

Kayrhandros said:
Anyway I agree that it seems obvious that he has to eat (a lot) to balance the contract.

Hah, nice guessing :D
Feb 2, 2012 6:02 PM

Dec 2009
Weird story. Having not read the manga I'm only feel like a know a tidbit about what's going on. Looks like it will be a bunch of 2 episode arcs in which Lin oversees someone reacting weird to the Hell's Gate. Sort of reminds me of Mushishi.
Such junk...
Apr 23, 2012 7:35 PM

Jan 2012
I like Mai and this episode although slow paced was pretty intriguing. I have so many questions at the end of it, which is usually the purpose of a part 1 to part 2 sequence.

Li is a gangster.
But honestly, Mai shouldn't have gone to an abandoned amusement park with him no matter how gangster he is. He could have raped her for all she knew.
Jun 14, 2012 7:10 AM

Jan 2011
Great episode, I hope this won't be another soon to-be-killed character, although it seems that Li will save her.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Oct 23, 2012 9:23 AM
Jan 2012
So I guess she became a contractor, am I right?
Jan 10, 2013 3:49 PM

Sep 2011
good episode ...
Jan 12, 2013 7:18 AM

Jan 2012
That fire ability was pretty cool. I wonder what will happen next.

Mar 6, 2013 11:11 AM
Jul 2012
Boring episode. Was spacing out.
That girl seems a bit dumb. Going outside by herself. >_>
Lin pretending be good is kinda boring. Where is the evil him?
Looks like she died. The ending looks scary.
Hope the next episode ain't boring.
3/5
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.