Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 6, 2014 12:18 AM

Feb 2013
All I have to say is how glad I am I got through this series. The only reason I was able to stomach this is because the music and production was generally good; although even that had an exception when they added fucking CGI on episode 9. I was expecting to understand this better after finishing but I still don't get what the fuck is going on. Simply atrocious, really hope Shaft gives us a true gem after this disaster of what some may call an anime.
Jul 6, 2014 2:48 AM
Jul 2014
I was a little disappointed to be honest. The ending was quite rushed in my opinion. Also it wasn't clear what exactly happened (e.g. Hiyori coming back to life and if Haruka came back or not). I've seen people say that Konoha died and Haruka lived on but I'm not quite sure. I could also argue that Kuroha had too less screen time. Also, it could have been much better if there was some sort of hint to what would happen to the couples, for example HaruTaka. Nothing was well explained.
But overall this anime was wonderful in plot, characters, soundtrack, animation (with the exception of episode 9's opening's animation which basically ruined my image of Ayano's Theory of Happiness) and it was the most I've enjoyed an anime in years.
Jul 6, 2014 4:05 PM

Dec 2009
The final two episodes really made a mess of the show. While difficult to follow before, it was still possible to figure it all out. But what happened now was just a rushed mess that doesn't really fit in with that the series presented earlier in its run.

I liked Mekakucity Actors before the finale. It was poorly made, yes, but it made me nostalgic and reminded me of a fairy tale.

After the finale, however, I have no idea what to think.

Shame, because I can see the potential the series had.

:(
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jul 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Feb 2014
So, I'm the only person that doesn't hate this after the last episode? Awesome.
Jul 6, 2014 5:01 PM

Jan 2013
5/10 Disappointing after the first episode.
The direction didn't pay off.
Jul 7, 2014 5:37 AM
Apr 2014
Thank god that the whole series wasn't like this otherwise I swear I would give the story a 1/10. I really don't even know why I'm giving it a 6/10. This episode was unbelievably confusing, I couldn't get my head around anything. Incredibly rushed. Once again, this is an anime which failed to be good in 12 episodes.
Jul 7, 2014 7:05 AM
Aug 2013
pastelkawaii said:
Okay my head is literally screaming of confusion from this. Apparently I was supposed to read the novels before watching this but I didn't know that until a few minutes after I completed this which was about ten minutes ago. My main question is: what happened to konoha. Did he die because of the snake or what? Because I didn't see him in the closing scene where everyone was outside. I just can't really seem to wrap my head around most of what happened.

This. I tried watching the music videos after episode 2, but got bored of the songs. Of those I did watch, I didn't learn much. I thought of myself as fortunate, given that there could have been spoilers that I didn't spot or didn't bother watching. But it turns out that I needed the spoilers to make sense of what was going to happen.

Did noöne else like the art in the series, then? I though that it at least had the art going for it where the songs (and eventually the story) failed.
Jul 8, 2014 6:10 AM
Mar 2009
AkuNoKawaiiUsagi said:
Such budget. Much wow. Hope they fix this on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. (Well the animation is okayish but I swear, they need to fix this)

AH KAMISAMA KUROHA APPEARED-- Thanks Jin.

Welp, to the newbs out there who still doesn't understand much, this is a sequel or extension to Kagerou Project. It's not a stand-alone anime.

Shaft, why couldn't you make this to a 2-cour series with more budget?...It could've turned better.

Well, I'd have to watch KagePro but it seems to me that the way they presented this makes it nearly impossible to follow. I'd play a VN based on it or read light novels, but they seem not to like to translate them. Pity, I would really busy them long before I buy or rent this anime.
Jul 8, 2014 8:46 AM

Jul 2012
Overall the story was average, but the art and the character made this show.
8/10 for me
Jul 8, 2014 6:31 PM

Jul 2012
Shit, I shouldn't have watched this blindly. I have a BIT of an idea on what happened overall....But I don't. The directing is horrible and this show feels disjointed as a whole.

Evangelion and Tokyo Ravens also gave me the feeling of "WTF" at the end but the visuals in this show turn me off so much to the point where I don't even want to rewatch it.
Jul 8, 2014 8:04 PM

Jun 2011
I may like happy endings, but it felt really weak and rushed, I mean seriously all it took for Marry to go into supreme God mode was the gang getting their ass kicked, Kuroha felt really weak, I expected him to be a bit more OP'd.
Jul 10, 2014 7:34 AM
Jul 2014
Hey guys can someone tell me what happened, I didn't understand some parts of ep 12!!1 ;_;
First, HOW DID AYANO COME BACK TO WORLD :<
Jul 11, 2014 10:45 AM

Aug 2010
I would describe MCA as a colorful mess. I admit I was so lost watching the first few episodes because just when you get what's going on more questions pops into your head.

The story is pretty straight forward presented in a non-linear fashion. That's why most of us gets pretty confused. The character development is not so good but portrays their personality well. Animation is very colorful. What really got me in to it is the music especially the insert songs because it seems to tell a story of what's happening in the story and its very catchy too.

The ending for me is like a cross between Madoka and Mirai Nikki with all that wish granting, time looping and out of this world mumbo jumbo but this anime is nothing close to those two IMO. Its still a pretty descent show but in order for you to fully understand what's going on you have to read the novels and manga and watch the music videos too as apparently MCA is just possible route of the whole Kagerou story. 8/10 rating for this.
Jul 11, 2014 8:00 PM

Jun 2013
Oh, well. This episode is kinda rushed, I guess. But I'm now contented with the ending.

However, there are too many questions left unanswered, like how Ayano and Shintaro went back along with Haruka, how Ene got her original body back, etc.

This anime has a lot of potential, so I don't mind if this show will be remade by a critically praise animation company like Madhouse, Studio Bones, etc.

I know Shaft is also good, but they should put in more budget(oooh budgeeet). I also don't mind if they will remake this into a better show.

Nevertheless, I still like this show.
Jul 12, 2014 5:54 AM
Mar 2012
I think I still don't understand what was going on...
Jul 12, 2014 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
It has few nice characters and overwall story is ok, but the rest was pretty bad. 5.5/10, would be lower if there wasn't for Ene's cuteness.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jul 12, 2014 9:54 PM

Nov 2012
So confused...

So lame...
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Jul 20, 2014 10:25 PM
Jul 2012
Being a faithful fan to Kagepro, It was OK actually, though there are many questions left unanswered, but it already gave us a LOT of insights about how Route 01 ends (This might confuse you if you only watch anime but my biggest question is about Shintaro's Route XX and its connection to Route 01).

It's not the best, but still it's low budget, and I'm a faithful fan to Kagepro, so I'm giving it a 6/10 to the episode because of rush, and 8/10 to the whole series thanks to the Mekakucity Dan's liveliness we've all been longing to see! I just really hope the series was longer, but maybe that can't be helped. :>
Jul 23, 2014 1:46 PM
May 2013
I really love the ED Days of Mekakucity Actors and recently checked the Translations of the lyrics and i noticed... doesn't the ED tell the whole story of the Anime ? i mean like it is sung by Mary ? and somehow the Theory that the END of ep. 12 where everyone is happy is a FAKE END is true?? cuz ahh i cant explain my self well... just check the translation of the lyrics especially the few lines at the end that somehow really explains this whole confusing mess and the REAL END of this Anime.

http://finella.nemissa.info/2014/04/20/mekakucity-actors-ed-days/
Jul 29, 2014 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
That was a disaster... That really ahd potential especially considering its origins as a SHAFT anime. But holy crap, how much nmore rushed can you be? How much worse pace can you have?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 30, 2014 6:34 AM

Apr 2010
Wow that was way too rushed...
Jul 30, 2014 6:42 AM

Sep 2011
Rueby said:
Wow that was way too rushed...

Yeah. The series had some potential for greatness in episode 1. Ha fit been focused on building up the plot, and the characters, it would have been successful.

The background was really not suited for this kind of show.
Jul 31, 2014 2:36 PM

Jul 2014
When did Marry give Shintaro his eye ability to remember everything even from other "resets"? Also why could both him and Ayano return to the real world? Shouldn't only one of them be able to or something :3. Also why did they not explain anything about hiyori
Jul 31, 2014 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
BRSlove said:
When did Marry give Shintaro his eye ability to remember everything even from other "resets"? Also why could both him and Ayano return to the real world? Shouldn't only one of them be able to or something :3. Also why did they not explain anything about hiyori

That's because this is a ill-planned series. I forgot to mention the Hiyori thing in my review... Oh well, that was one of the most UNFATHOMABLE things I seen them done in this show.
1. Introduce character as bitch
2. make dramatic tension between another important brat character
3. makes her disappear without coherent explanation

How the hell are we suppose to feel sorry for her?
Aug 1, 2014 12:16 PM

May 2013
BRSlove said:

Marry gave the snake to Shintaro before she reset the timeline for the first time. Idk how he can have it despite her resetting time, but eh.

Even though it seems that only one can leave the Daze when dying in a pair, the ones who can only leave are those possessed by snakes. Remember that Konoha AND Shintaro were sucked into the Daze in Episode 5. They were guaranteed to exit because they already have eye powers.

Since Ayano and Shintaro have eye abilities, they can leave.
Now as for how Hiyori was saved... When "Kuroha" was defeated, the scene changed to a small tide and a shot of a person's legs and shoes. This is Hiyori, and it implies that Konoha's wish was for the Wide-Eyed Snake to save her.
Aug 5, 2014 5:13 PM

Jun 2011
Confusing episode and finale, they should've explained things better. This episode kinda killed the series for me. That said, I really like the characters and their interaction.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 7, 2014 8:53 AM
May 2012
It felt kinda cheesy, but I am happy that it's a happy end :D Ayano is so beautiful, especially with that dress <3
Well, I enjoyed this Anime even if it's a little messy. The songs were nice~
I might read the Manga and listen to the songs someday. Thank you ^^
Aug 7, 2014 1:20 PM

Mar 2014
Finally some resolution! Still didn't like the series but at least the ending was satisfying.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 10, 2014 5:53 AM

Jul 2008
That was pretty terrible.

I might look into the source material or something though.
Aug 10, 2014 6:16 AM

Sep 2011
GarLogan78 said:
That was pretty terrible.

I might look into the source material or something though.

According to some this isn't meant to be an adaptation at all, but an extension, or alternative version.

The songs are pretty good.
Aug 12, 2014 5:16 AM

Oct 2009
What just happened?

Too bad I really liked the show, but this was just; "what?"

I might look into the light novel or manga.

Gorgeous Ayano at the end was worth it though ^-^
6/10
Aug 15, 2014 2:05 AM
Apr 2012
So i recently finished this anime (BUMP, 5 YEARS AGO) and still don't know how Ene got her body back, what happened exactly, i understand the ending so that Marry as the Queen didn't reversed the world because of her friends but she "continued" without that snake with wishes.
Ene magically got her body
Ayano raises from dead
Good
Too much opened end, this series is really good and i enjoyed it despite everything above. I expected more humour like in first episode with Ene and Shintaro or in secondd episoed with Kido and Kano. Then, whole anime was one big flashback and filler. Still good.
Aug 16, 2014 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
Mekakushi dan on action !!
The wicked snake of kenjirou is the main villain !!
Eyes of Clairvoyance !!
Climax on the line !!
Outer Science !!
Revival of the queen !!
The coming of salvation !!
Eyes of true feelings and power of caring !!
The End of the ultimate nightmare !!
Fulfillment of the wishes !!
Ayano was .. as Beautiful as the dazzling sun itself !!! .. SHE'S SO FLAWLESSLY BEAUTIFUL !!! She's so ravishing and so CUTE !!!
The Hot summer of fun and happiness !!! Summer day's contentment !!!
To the path of the pleasant skies and blissful daylights ... !!!
Reunion to the "new" World !!!
Summertime Record !!!
Perfectly Great Episode !!!

Mekakucity actors , One of the best anime I ever watched !!! ... exceptionally , great and fantastic art (especially the characters) and marvelous songs !!! I superb like the songs for its well-rhythmic vibes and melodic tunes that's giving the pleasure of comfort and satisfaction !!! Honestly , the art is a remarkable piece of art that amaze me every time !! Shaft really did a great job the character's animation !!! ... so lovable !! but .. talking about the missing points of it .. the lack of plot recognition promptly lowered its reputation as a strong and adequate anime . the fact that it lost its momentum in terms of the deficient inquires that made confusions around the audiences ... It didn't fill the holes at all . still , if they made it a long one they could make up for it . and if you had a background knowledge about the series, I am sure that you will enjoy it without frustrations or any bad insights . I also really hate the fact the criticisms absurd questionings made it a bit bad on the ratings ... people judge very quick . this is human nature at fault ... but in this moment , I can't do nothing . yes , I want to do something for it but .. I am not good enough for now ... so .. I will find my own path to a righteous one . I will do it for sure.
although , it has critical points .. the majority is the great points it has as I mention earlier .
I want to see it again soon !!! in every genre or media .. I will certainly enjoy again to my heart's content !! I wish it for the best , productions , sales and etc . I hope that it will enlighten me once more on the future !!! It was really a great series I swear :)
I hope for a "sequel" or any kinds of anime like this to show up !!! ... :D PS : I LOVE THE ENDING !!! True route is the BEST !!!
AnimeLaver01Aug 16, 2014 2:17 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2014 7:01 AM
May 2012
Haven't read the manga nor the novel. Very cool and witty, but tends to be confusing as It is difficult for me to follow the story.

8/10.
Aug 17, 2014 2:00 PM

Oct 2012
From what we find out in this episode, the character bios are so wrong that they cause cancer.

come on moddsssssss my new edits are good, aren't they?
EpicCh33seAug 17, 2014 3:03 PM
Sep 3, 2014 4:13 PM
Nov 2007
Great series, yes not everyone can follow it, but personally I appreciate how they did it and the art style complimented the story telling. Wish the ending was a bit more complete but I definitely got my enjoyment :)
Sep 7, 2014 3:58 AM

Jul 2013
-confusing storytelling
-too much talk
-boring
-many unexplained stuff
-weird head tilts
-abstract art

well 5/10 because at least it kept me busy and it had its moments
Sep 7, 2014 5:46 AM

Jul 2014
PrimeX said:
-confusing storytelling
-too much talk
-boring
-many unexplained stuff
-weird head tilts
-abstract art

well 5/10 because at least it kept me busy and it had its moments

You clearly do not know SHAFT... At all.
"Hi!"
Sep 7, 2014 7:57 PM
Aug 2009
This was such a hot mess. Character development wasn't fully there or lacked a certain flow to get a hold of a character's overall essence. The non-linear plot is what put off many people but actively watching made for sensible. What saved this anime in my opinion was the animation, with all its quirks and abstract representation.

A 7/10 is what this anime is gonna get, and I am being pretty generous about this rating.
Sep 10, 2014 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
could have been epic.....yet it crumbled and turned into something worthy as a leeching mediocre...... can't see this being a 7+ .....
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.
Sep 11, 2014 6:47 PM

May 2014
Confused.
Sep 13, 2014 7:50 PM

Aug 2009
I don't understand all the hater comments.

I haven't read the manga nor the LNs yet and neither I've watched the "Kagerou Project" songs yet, and still the anime was well understandable.

Sure, some stuff wasn't explained in detail and some stuff wasn't concluded properly (Takane x Haruka!!!), but still, it was a very enjoyable show, had many nice lovable characters and awesome music. And this anime did a great job at telling me "Hey, why don't you go and check out the music videos on which this anime is based? And since you liked the story, don't forget about the mangas and LNs you get more background info!" ^^

I hope that some OVA will come out someday, showing them all living happily together^^

8/10

EDIT: Also, I have to say that the anime did a great job at story-telling: The 'mystery' was slowly unrevealed, so that almost every episode was interesting. It was nice how everything came together in the end. The story itself was good, and the way it was told piece by piece made it even better. Don't get me wrong - such kind of story-telling can be bad and confusing. But I think here it wasn't, and the narrative enhanced the story instead of making it confusing.
mrmukSep 13, 2014 7:56 PM
Sep 15, 2014 9:36 AM

Feb 2012
Wow, Jin really is a horrible writer. Shaft did everything they could do with that low budget, but it was for naught. It's pretty sad, as this show could've been a masterpiece with an capable author(I just keep imagining Eiji Mikage. This guy would be perfect for the material) and maybe a little more polishing in the early episodes.

Easy 9/10 for the technical aspects of this show(10/10 for the second half of episode 4. This was absolutely brilliant), barely 4/10 for the writing, especially this stupid ending. 6/10 in the end, as the tendency is negative.

On a sidenote: following the threads here and on other sites really made me hate the Kagerou Fandom with a burning passion. What an immature bunch...
NucksenSep 15, 2014 9:40 AM
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Sep 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Apr 2009
I would have given this a 5 if it didn't have so many parts where I just didn't know what was going on in relation to everything else. This anime does the annoying thing of having a plot point reach an interesting spot and then going ADD on us and switching focus to something unrelated. That's why it's a 4 for me. It's sad because I think this could have been a great anime if they had gone with heavy handed editing. Sure, it would probably not have been nearly the same as the source material (which I haven't read btb), but it would have been a standalone experience.

At least this anime was interesting and not mind-numbingly boring, so kudos for that.
Sep 20, 2014 12:10 AM

Mar 2012
I've shied away from this one for a few months now because it was one of the few that i took reviews more serious about considering the top few give it horrid reviews, i still don't regret waiting considering it was more that i had just too many other shows i really wanted to watch instead. I heard from a friend that it was too over the top/hard to follow and i instantly knew why it was low in reviews. Personally, after watching the monogatari series, the animation style/story telling is nothing new for me. It really wasn't that mind blowiing if you just paid absolute attention to it. Personally i thought it was pretty well done...i had to rewatch the last two episodes again though to fully understand what was going on but that's what i like about this anime. Unlike just about every show that gets put out it's far from linear, you gotta think and pay a lot of attention.

In the end, it was worth the watch, 8/10 from me

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Sep 30, 2014 7:37 AM

Apr 2014
waiting for the bluray to see the fixes they did with this
Sep 30, 2014 11:02 AM
Sep 2014
How could Shintaro entered the Heat Haze and met Ayano at the episode 11?
Oct 5, 2014 4:45 AM
Apr 2011
Nishaven said:

Alright that one I can clear up!
He killed himself!
The real question is how he got back, and how he brough Ayano (and Haruka I think?) with him? There's hope for this question, because where the lightnovels left off was Kido telling the gang about her "Kagerou Daze retreval plan"
prumrumdesuOct 5, 2014 4:51 AM
Oct 7, 2014 1:37 PM
Sep 2014
prumrumdesu said:
Nishaven said:

Alright that one I can clear up!
He killed himself!
The real question is how he got back, and how he brough Ayano (and Haruka I think?) with him? There's hope for this question, because where the lightnovels left off was Kido telling the gang about her "Kagerou Daze retreval plan"
You mean black Shintaro at the first scene in episode 11? Or they didn't show us at the anime?
Oct 20, 2014 3:58 PM
Sep 2014
(Woah, just realized how long this post is o.O Sorry, I guess it's an in depth review? lol)

I really enjoyed Kagerou before the anime came out (both the manga and music videos) and I was really excited/happy when the anime was announced, but I have to say the anime sadly didn't live up to my expectations. I gave it a 7/10 but it is probably mostly because I love Kagerou so much that the rating is as high as it is.

I agree with some of the other comments: the weird head tilt and the terrible CGI scared me (is there head-tilting like that in the manga?). I also agree that the ending felt rushed with many loose ends, and how some of the animation in the end wasn't nearly as good as it had been in the beginning of the series.

I do like how they incorporated the music (music from the music videos) and I liked how they animated the characters (whenever there wasn't fancy fail CGI or head tilting). The interesting comic-book styled faces that would pop up when someone did a funny expression were well done as well.

I found it easy to understand, to the point where I often knew what would happen next, but that is probably because I read the manga and watched the music videos. Because of that though, I found some parts drawn out too much to the point where I can leave, come back, and still understand what was going on. For example, I actually found the beginning really drawn out with all the talking and such, when in the manga it went through much faster at a more enjoyable pace (the art is also much prettier).

In the end, I would still give it a thumbs up, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to others unless they are already a fan of the manga/light novels/music videos. In my opinion, it doesn't live up to the manga and music videos, to the point where I would recommend others just to read the manga and watch the music videos instead.

My next task: to read the light novels!
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

501 by Strikrr »»
Aug 2, 2023 5:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.