Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2011 8:05 AM

Jun 2011
Very interesting anime. Perfect story and concept. I can't wait to find more about the mushi.
Aug 24, 2011 3:07 AM

May 2010
I thought the ghost granny had to disappear??
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 5, 2012 11:17 PM

Nov 2010
Seems like a really really good anime.
will keep watching.
Feb 19, 2012 8:12 AM

Feb 2012
I do have to agree, this show puts me in such a peaceful mood. The OP is very nice, haven't heard anything like it appear in any shows I have seen before. The rest of the soundtrack only adds to the soothing animation style.

Going to keep watching this one and see how it goes.
Feb 21, 2012 4:37 AM

Sep 2008
atrophaneurae said:
Very interesting episode. I like the subdued colours used in the animation, it gives it a nice peaceful mood.

I like the sort of relaxing atmosphere it creates. Really unexpected, I must say. I wasn't sure what I was heading into, picking this series up... but I like it so far. The music is great and art is good but not outstanding - IMO.
Feb 26, 2012 8:39 AM

May 2011
that was a very interesting start. the art and the music was great and the mood was very relaxing, i definitely need more of this anime
Apr 9, 2012 8:33 PM

Jul 2011
That ending song... made my heart quiver. o_o

Amazing stuff.
Jun 6, 2012 7:22 PM

Nov 2011
Amazing animation and style, I love this series already ^_^
Jun 12, 2012 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
Really good first episode. The story was so simple, yet really well done. What struck me, was the part where the Mushi of the grandmother separated, started crying, the boy started crying, and then the bowl started to overflow as though it was crying with them. Beautiful, I have to say.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 16, 2012 5:03 PM

Dec 2009
Surprisingly, this didn't catch my attention. I should like it, since I don't mind slow-paced stuff and I love Natsume Yuujinchou, a series that is said to be "Mushishi light".

It felt too choppy, with odd transition and lack of proper pacing. The explanation didn't get any time, nor did the resolution.

Hopefully it will get better.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 29, 2012 11:36 PM

Aug 2010
Forgot how much I loved the opening.
Jul 8, 2012 10:32 AM

Oct 2010
Confucius said:
I thought the ghost granny had to disappear??

I know it's quite late to answer, but not exactly. The ghost grandma had to complete her transformation into a Mushi, therefore being able to complete her transition. The boy is seemingly able to see the Mushi, so it would work exactly the other way: it's this process what allows him to notice her presence.

It has been a long time since I started to get an interest on this series and this first episode not only has been an extraordinary and fulfilling experience, but is probably among my favorite moments in anime so far... I am actually quite surprised at the general tone of the comments, who say it's really good or that it looks nice. For me, this was absolutely wonderful, to a level I couldn't even believe. If only the following episodes remain as good as this one, the show as a whole will mean a new and unbeatable peak in my anime watching experience.
jal90Jul 8, 2012 10:41 AM
Jul 19, 2012 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
This is definitely an interesting episode, but something just seems off. Right now I’m attributing the disconnect to cultural differences. The story was well told, but I didn’t really like how it turned out. What happened to the boy seemed to me an unnecessary tragedy but appeared to be a happy ending. I’m going to wait and see how the rest of the episodes turn out but I get the feeling that I won’t every truly connect with this show.
Aug 3, 2012 11:39 PM
May 2011
great first episode to what seems to be a great series.
Oct 15, 2012 5:40 AM

Jun 2010
I was completely engrossed. The story, the music, the artwork and Mushi-shi's voice... it's all beautifully engineered. Winner.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2012 1:41 PM
Jan 2012
It was hypnotizing. An unique experience, soothing and enthralling.
Oct 25, 2012 11:26 AM

May 2012
Very interesting start of this Anime I was amazed how great the story was developed in this episode, hopefully they can keep up with this quality throughout the whole anime! From this first episode I would already give this a 9/10
Dec 31, 2012 5:50 AM

Dec 2010
I know this anime is rated very high, but I'm still kinda surprised about how much I liked it. It has a good mood, the animation is good too, the color tones are just great, the OP and the ED are kinda my favorite kind. The concepts that were concerned in this episode are also great imo.

Can't wait to see more.
Feb 1, 2013 1:01 PM
Aug 2011
Whoaaa. It was so well! The musics, the atmosphere, the story... So calm and deep. I loved this.
Feb 4, 2013 6:02 AM

Jan 2012
Heard a lot of praises for this show, so I decided it's time to watch it. Well so far so good, loved the first episode. It was so damn relaxing.

Feb 20, 2013 2:20 PM
Mar 2, 2013 12:48 PM

Sep 2012
So excited to finally start this. Episode was amazing, I can't wait to watch the rest.
Mar 4, 2013 10:11 PM

Sep 2011
A bit slow, but relaxing at the same time. I'm hoping it picks up its pace throughout the anime because 26 episodes of just this may kill me.

Overall though I enjoyed it. Gives me that Kino no Tabi feeling. :3
Mar 19, 2013 11:31 PM
Nov 2010
Just watched this episode, thought it was great and I definitely loved the Miyazaki feel to it.
BJJ_Or_DieApr 6, 2013 10:58 PM
Apr 2, 2013 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
I heard people give high praise for this show, so i give it a shot. The first episode impressed me it was so relaxing and the animation is pretty good
Apr 15, 2013 1:35 AM
Apr 2013
If Renzu was supposed to become a full Mushi had the ceremony gone correctly how could she have had a grandson then?

It doesn't make sense for the Mushi to turn her so she could protect her future grandson if she was just a girl, how would she have children as a Mushi?
Apr 19, 2013 12:06 AM

Sep 2008
EruL said:
If Renzu was supposed to become a full Mushi had the ceremony gone correctly how could she have had a grandson then?

It doesn't make sense for the Mushi to turn her so she could protect her future grandson if she was just a girl, how would she have children as a Mushi?

Its been a long time since I saw this ep, but It is my understanding that the granny was already dead when the story starts. She had not 'turned' mushi during her lifetime, and after she dies, she is basically stuck between being human and mushi. Read Jal90's post above for the rest of the story.

My advice to those who are watching the show for the first time: Keep your eyes and ears open when you're watching mushishi, because like Marow says, the presentation style is a bit hard to follow for some; missing even a single line or a word could result in missing out on the whole plot.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 28, 2013 8:46 AM

Sep 2012
Definiton of boring.

dropped.
May 6, 2013 10:21 AM

Jan 2013
I really like this, feels just like Natsume Yuujinchou :)
May 18, 2013 7:41 PM

Jun 2008
Real glad I finally decided to start this, it's been something I've been "meaning to watch" since it originally aired. The first episode was real interesting and it introduced the concept of mushi very effectively. Seeing the way Ginko deals with this phenomenon and the attention paid to the relationship between Shinra and his grandmother left me hungry for more episodes. There are a number of really boring episodic anime, something tells me this one won't fit into that group.
May 29, 2013 7:39 AM

May 2013
This is one of those anime's that leave you in awe just after finishing one episode and you just know it's going to be worthwhile.
/I guess Shinra will show up in following episode's even if he won't be in the seccond.
May 29, 2013 7:46 AM

Feb 2010
Anehim said:
This is one of those anime's that leave you in awe just after finishing one episode and you just know it's going to be worthwhile.
/I guess Shinra will show up in following episode's even if he won't be in the seccond.

You're not wrong. The best advice would be take it at your own pace. It took me 2 years to complete this but I remember the details of most episodes fairly well.
May 30, 2013 3:04 AM

May 2013
live2win said:
Anehim said:

You're not wrong. The best advice would be take it at your own pace. It took me 2 years to complete this but I remember the details of most episodes fairly well.

I saw at ep 4 (If I'm correct) and I will. Yet this Anime is captivating enough for me to wanting to complete it in a few day's. Do got the same with other Anime I'm keeping on-hold though.
Jun 11, 2013 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
mellow vibe this episode
Jul 14, 2013 8:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
insan3soldiern said:
What struck me, was the part where the Mushi of the grandmother separated, started crying, the boy started crying, and then the bowl started to overflow as though it was crying with them. Beautiful, I have to say.

That's what I thought too, that the overflow of the kouki was almost like the overflow of emotions that Shinra felt from his grandmother's memories. It was a nice use of symbolism.

gbanshee said:
It was hypnotizing. An unique experience, soothing and enthralling.

Perfect description of how I felt, especially the hypnotizing part. My heart felt extremely calm and that piano ED was beautiful, almost feels mystical and nostalgic. I'm mad at myself for not having watched this earlier, especially when I saw how the praises for this anime on MAL and the recommendation under Natsume Yuujinchou.
Jul 17, 2013 7:46 PM
Jun 2013
OK theres some plot points that I dont get. The guy said she would dissapear if she does this but doesint. Also how in the world did the mushi expect her to watch over her grandkid if they wanted her to be mushi. Im guessing human like mushi can have kids then cause if not then these are some dumb mushi.Also going by the narration the tale of this kids power died down. Which is werid cause again the mushi said he was suppose to be someone great for mankind and bring happyness. So wat became of these powers. I rewinded the show a bunch of times and still am confused. I hope the next episode is much more clear with the story stuff. Yea its a pretty show but it left me going wtf just happend.
Aug 4, 2013 9:34 PM
Jul 2013
i wasn't in love with this episode, but i am curious to learn more about mushi and how they interact with people. i came to this anime after a recommendation from natsume yuujinchou, so i'm transitioning over the look, feel, and types of beings in that show to this one. i miss natsume! but i hope that gingko is a character that i'll come to adore.
Aug 10, 2013 1:43 PM

Sep 2009
Wow. Finally, I can finally able to continue on watching this series. I don't know when it happened when I tried to watch this before,, coz I dropped this quickly because the video that I downloaded were so LQ and I was very disappointed. But now, I can see it clearly and I now appreciate it. :)
Sep 2, 2013 8:49 PM

Mar 2012
Great looking episode with an interesting story. Still not crazy about this anime yet but there are still 25 episodes to go so let's see if I get really into it along the road.
Sep 24, 2013 6:06 AM

Jul 2012
this is a series that I started a couple of months ago, but for some reasons I had to drop it at ep 6, now picking it up again and it feels so refreshing, there are going to be some faster parts, but yes, I would fall asleep with it and rewind because I didn't wanted to miss a thing, though it's beautiful to fall asleep to this anime. I hope they published the OST
Nov 20, 2013 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
Nearly 2 years later, this is my 3rd attempt to get into Mushishi. I have to say I'm glad I didn't watch it before, because this time around I'm appreciating it on a whole new level. This first episode is so calming and the otherworldly atmosphere is just so intriguing. I used to avoid slower paced, episodic anime but Aria taught me the value of the calm-natured anime and just going at my own pace. I feel like I've witnessed something grand this time around and look forward to the next 25 episodes of this journey.

I gotta say that's going to be strange though, being taken care of by a grandmother who is little sister material.
Nov 30, 2013 11:16 PM

May 2013
This episode did a decent job of introducing the Mushi and revealed some information of how they work. The Mushi is an interesting supernatural concept. The story about the boy and his grandma was nice.
Conan_KudoNov 30, 2013 11:22 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jan 6, 2014 8:05 AM

Oct 2012
There was something so interesting and fresh about the first episode. I really enjoyed the pace it went at and it felt relaxing to watch and the story drew me in quite well. I'm looking forward to much more, though I think taking my time with this series is probably the way to go
Jan 20, 2014 10:24 AM

Dec 2013
I'm still not fully convinced about this series. Sure it had a good first episode but it isn't enough for me to tell what the series is about.
Jan 20, 2014 11:32 AM

Oct 2013
Anon1409 said:
I'm still not fully convinced about this series. Sure it had a good first episode but it isn't enough for me to tell what the series is about.

i watched the first episode just now, and this anime seem really awesome, im really curious about the fact of only one main character with episodic show,

p.s seem be a excellent relaxing show(i come just to finish hyouka yesterday and mystery show are not really relaxing:P)
Feb 3, 2014 6:17 AM

Apr 2012
A nice introduction to what looks like a very good show. The music throughtout is perfect with a very nice OP and ED. The OP reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel with a very folky tune. I liked the way Ginko didn't seem surprised by anything so I guess he's a veteran to these sort of things.
Feb 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
one of the best change of pace animes i have seen. keen to continue
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 14, 2014 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
Quite interesting. Solid first episode. I love the music and story telling.
Mar 15, 2014 2:17 PM

Jan 2014
I was just like:"OMG, THIS IS AWESOME!"
(Although I don't usually use words like that xd)
It really left me speechless, totally wowed!
I don't know if it is material enough to be
recommended for everyone but I loved it
and would recommend it to everyone who
likes calmness, mysteriousness.
I'm in hopes of for the next episodes
to be at least near as awesome as
the first one. ^_______________^
Mar 18, 2014 7:45 AM

Apr 2013
Glad I decided to start this. I'm usually no fan of the slice of life/episodic anime,
but this one is really something special. Gave me a Miyazaki vibe because of the relaxed, gloomy nature and calm OST.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.