Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think YouTube will end up like MySpace

New
Jun 15, 2014 6:55 AM

Apr 2013
Whenever YouTube adds in something, or changes its design that has a stunning look of Facebook. Nearly everyone keeps moaning about how they're ruining the site, and that YouTube will go down the same path as MySpace. Yet they keep using the site regardless and get used to its new layouts.

Then you get sites like ZippCast, thinking that it would be the new YouTube, but has such shitty security that it gets hacked very easily, then ultimately shuts down.

Personally I don't YouTube will end up like MySpace, and won't go down anytime soon. People will keep using the site regardless what the YouTube staff would do.

So I would to hear your thoughts on it, if you think YouTube will or not end up like MySpace.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2014 6:58 AM

Oct 2011
There's no way. They aren't in the same vein, and there's no real competitor to YouTube. Myspace only really attracted a small percentage, whereas the appeal of Facebook applies to anyone.

Jun 15, 2014 7:16 AM

Sep 2010
Doubt it. Youtube is widely used and no matter what changes, people are probably going to continue using it.
Jun 15, 2014 7:19 AM
Feb 2013
Nope, Youtube is too big.
Jun 15, 2014 7:21 AM

Mar 2014
Even if there is an objectively better site, "everyone uses youtube" so good luck.

I for one would support its downfall. I remember in the good ol days when it wasn't so crap. You could actually rewind a video without losing buffer. If you pause a high quality video at the start, itll be buffered completely after 6 hours, instead of like, only buffering the first minute.
Jun 15, 2014 7:21 AM

Oct 2013
I've never said YouTube is doomed when it changes. but sometimes you wonder why they do change the layout every so often when their was nothing wrong with the previous one.

Doesn't take too long to get used to, but still, slow down YouTube.
Jun 15, 2014 7:22 AM

Sep 2010
LadyRenly said:
Even if there is an objectively better site, "everyone uses youtube" so good luck.

I for one would support its downfall. I remember in the good ol days when it wasn't so crap. You could actually rewind a video without losing buffer. If you pause a high quality video at the start, itll be buffered completely after 6 hours, instead of like, only buffering the first minute.
6 hours?
Jun 15, 2014 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
animeoppai said:
LadyRenly said:

6 hours?

My internet was pretty bad. Even on low quality like 340p or whatever, a 10 minute youtube video would take literally just as long to buffer.

It was my only connection to the real world, so I tolerated it xD
Jun 15, 2014 7:37 AM

May 2008
If there's another video-sharing website which could beat Youtube, it's possible :O
Jun 15, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2013
I doubt it.
Maybe in the far future when it actually gets a decent competitor.

I can see you

Jun 15, 2014 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
No, it would still be the same as there are now
Jun 15, 2014 7:55 AM

Oct 2008
There is no real alternative to YouTube. It is such a commonly used video-sharing site that nearly every single Internet user has become accustomed to. That is extremely rare for a company to be so wide-spread. They have a fantastic user-retention rate that will not stop. Despite the uncalled changes, YouTube has not completely destroyed itself. If it continues to be a free-service with premium-services available for a price, they will thrive as a company. Their business model works, and big companies love them. Also, it is owned by Google. Google will not let YouTube die.

Vimeo has only made a small dent to the video-sharing community, but it thrives on quality. A business like that is sustainable, but not game-changing to dominate the industry.
Jun 15, 2014 8:19 AM

Nov 2012
LadyRenly said:
animeoppai said:
6 hours?

My internet was pretty bad. Even on low quality like 340p or whatever, a 10 minute youtube video would take literally just as long to buffer.

It was my only connection to the real world, so I tolerated it xD

My internet connection is pretty bad too for anything video related, I still don't think its as bad as yours though. I can browse through web pages, refresh pages without much problem, but trying to stream videos is a frustrating endevor in my parents house anyways. It's been like this for a very long time, I guess they don't really care about watching videos and watch movies they buy or something instead.
Jun 15, 2014 8:21 AM
Jul 2012
There's no way that Youtube the popular website can turn out to be Myspace.
Jun 15, 2014 8:32 AM

Apr 2012
They don't even care if people moan about their changes, they know fully well that they're too big to fall.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jun 15, 2014 8:39 AM

Nov 2012
LadyRenly said:

Use this extension: https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki
And disable "Dash Playback" to fix the buffering problem
It also solves some inconvinient things about youtube (block ads, allow more resizing options, adds a download button and fixes automatic quality bug)
Jun 15, 2014 8:46 AM
Mar 2011
now they own twich so there one less compraedtor but were is the Monopolies commsion to block takes over in the us [ not only on balit Google here]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 15, 2014 8:50 AM

May 2013
owned by the brand who kicked coca cola from its 15yrs of reign. not gonna happen.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jun 15, 2014 8:52 AM
Apr 2014
Honestly i don't think it will.
Jun 15, 2014 9:17 AM

Nov 2008
It will be decades before that happens, remember YT has 4k streaming in the test phases.

Jun 15, 2014 10:34 AM

Jan 2013
Nope youtube is here to stay
Jun 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Nov 2013
I haven't seen a viable or better alternative to Youtube yet, so I doubt it's fall is eminent quite yet.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" - Winston Churchill

Jun 15, 2014 11:22 AM

Sep 2011
I dont think so

both are different in purpose
I believe youtube is staying and it will develop other websites
Jun 15, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
Youtube will continue to stay....unless Google plus does something even worse to screw it up.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 15, 2014 1:11 PM

Jun 2014
Youtube seems to widely used to be able to just stop using the site all together over a few updates.
It will happen eventually though, give it a few more years.
Jun 15, 2014 1:14 PM
Jan 2014
Remember: Google owns Youtube. Its hard to imagine that Google just lets the Nr.1 Video-platform go down for no good reason.
For Youtube to go down, Google had to crash first .. or something completely unexpected happens but I cant see that coming. And I cant see Google crashing either, so..

final verdict: no.
Jun 15, 2014 1:20 PM

Apr 2014
I like the way youtube worked a few years ago better than now, but i doubt it will ever go obsolete because theirs no other site that competes with youtube, like really when was the last time you looked up a song or music video or really anything on a different video site(besides anime episodes). When i wanna hear a song, youtube. When i wanna see new games gameplay, youtube. Wanna see if an anime is epic looking, youtube amv. Their is a very select few of things you can't find on youtube and thats usually due to copyright bs.
Jun 15, 2014 1:21 PM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
The thing with YT is that they fuck up something that didn't need changing. When I first joined YT in 2011 it was fine and I had no problems using it. They messes around and changed the channel art thing down the side and made it channel art and I thought that was shit. Then they messed with the layout a bit more and did some other shit and now here we are with Google fucking everyone over with the copyright monster and stuff.
YT (I doubt) will ever close, there is no REAL competitor for it so really it can do what it wants...
Jun 15, 2014 1:21 PM

Jun 2014
Youtube probably won't end up like MySpace anytime soon. It'll at least be popular for the remainder of this decade.

Jun 15, 2014 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think so. YouTube is simply too big and has way too much backing to crash. Google would need to do something ridiculous for that to happen in my opinion.
Jun 15, 2014 3:37 PM

Mar 2014
No.

But i'd be glad if it did.
Jun 15, 2014 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
No it's kind of a hub and people will. Always have one, even if it's not there main place for sharing videos.
Jun 15, 2014 9:24 PM
Jul 2011
Yeah Youtube is huge, they will probably add new things like premium content, or pay to view from content providers in the future... too right it being a Monopoly they can do whatever they want yet people including I will still use it. its like a different medium now.
Jun 15, 2014 9:25 PM

Apr 2013
YouTube's been around for about the same time MySpace has.

Yet MySpace hasn't gotten anywhere lately.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.

More topics from this board

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

67 by 88expert »»
22 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

67 by vasipi4946 »»
33 minutes ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - Yesterday

21 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

22 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

34 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.