Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 10, 2014 12:50 PM
May 2014
I dont get it. The Durarara plot didn't seem especially strong and there wasn't a clear goal that any of the characters wished to achieve. Was there a deeper meaning to the anime or was it just a "woah, thats badass" kind of thing. It wasn't like many other anime I've watched where it was clear that x wanted to achieve y. At the end its like nothing ever happened. Can someone explain what the point of watching the anime actually is as I don't feel satisfied with the ending.
Thanks in advance!
Jun 11, 2014 1:50 AM

Jul 2011
There's no really "goal" of the anime, and it's just observing these unique characters jumble about in their everyday life. Sure, there's characters that want to achieve something, but that's blended in also with half the cast just carrying out what they usually do and getting dragged in on the bychance.

But I guess each character does have something they want to achieve, which I'll explain in detail here with anime-spoilers:

I feel like most of Narita Ryohgo's works consists of you watching a series of events unfold. The characters are literally just doing their own everyday life thing, and the whole event results from coincidences (and in DRRR's case, Izaya's mischief as well).

The main thing to note is that even in the novels, the plot of drrr isn't very clear; all we know is that celty's head is involved, celty probably will be involved, and a lot of gangs and Izaya. And when you consider that this series adapted only the introduction to the high school trio, I think it's sometimes necessary to just accept DRRR as a series of events happening over the span of the anime that drags in the main characters without much of a plot curve.

I personally really like DRRR because of the plot twists and character twists. That's really it, and the story progression definitely isn't what i would call a highlight of drrr, so maybe at the end of the day, the storytelling narrative style just isn't your thing :P
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Jun 11, 2014 8:44 AM
May 2014
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, I feel like I understand the anime better now. I certainly enjoyed watching the anime I was just surprised that there was no main plot that it revolved around. Thanks a lot! I'll be looking forward to season 2

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

234 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

456 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

331 by Karva1 »»
Apr 19, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.