Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2014 10:29 PM

May 2014
There are many forms of autism, and I think that the genius girl Shiina Mashiro contains symptoms of autism, specifically,

Also, if you look at Shiina being photographed(takes 10 secs to load), her face looks like it is peering into the distance, unfazed and thinking of something else. Like WTF, we know her intelligence is not normal, but the fact that she is 90% devoid of common everyday sense makes me think she is partly autistic. Also, "Some persons with [autism] excel in visual skills, music, math and art."(autismspeaks.org). This adds to the explanation for her talents. However Shiina is so very lucky to have such nice friends who do not take advantage of her and take care of her for FREE because she can barely live by herself and... god forbid is she does, I think she needs a helper for LIFE.

_Dazzle_Jun 9, 2014 10:33 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Mar 2014
It's been suggested that she may suffer from Savant Syndrome, which is similar to Autism really, but nothing is known for sure. Some of her behavioral tendencies do sometimes imply that she may have one of those two conditions though.
Jun 9, 2014 10:43 PM
Aug 2012
Yes.
Jun 9, 2014 10:48 PM

Jan 2011
They don't outright say these characters have autism because then you would be a horrible person for laughing at the problems their disorder causes.
Jun 10, 2014 2:39 PM

May 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
They don't outright say these characters have autism because then you would be a horrible person for laughing at the problems their disorder causes.

hahaha, instead of causing us to laugh at her, we grow angrier of how absurd it is to let such a talented (probably rich?) girl travels ALONE to another country without any aid or helper of some sort. Either her parents are really messed up, too stingy to afford a helper(we can't tell from the anime) or it was purely for the forced drama, which represented a large part of what defines this series.
Jun 10, 2014 3:12 PM

Nov 2013
_Dazzle_ said:
ReaperCreeper said:

hahaha, instead of causing us to laugh at her, we grow angrier of how absurd it is to let such a talented (probably rich?) girl travels ALONE to another country without any aid or helper of some sort. Either her parents are really messed up, too stingy to afford a helper(we can't tell from the anime) or it was purely for the forced drama, which represented a large part of what defines this series.

Mang. Parents nvr exist in these types of anime.
Jun 10, 2014 3:14 PM
Feb 2014
Yes
Jun 10, 2014 3:16 PM

Apr 2013
all of them do.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jun 10, 2014 3:16 PM

Apr 2013
I don't know really, but anyway is it matter to you?
Jun 10, 2014 3:17 PM

Oct 2013
WatchingYouPost said:
Yes.

no
Jun 10, 2014 7:19 PM
Aug 2012
masochist-san said:
WatchingYouPost said:
Yes.

no
YES.
Aug 6, 2014 10:47 PM

May 2014
DGemu said:

So true... I wish they had maybe a little scenes to introduce the parents of such talented individuals. This would prove to be better characterization and a more fleshed out character background info.
Jan 8, 2015 11:52 AM

Nov 2013
_Dazzle_ said:
There are many forms of autism, and I think that the genius girl Shiina Mashiro contains symptoms of autism, specifically,

Also, if you look at Shiina being photographed(takes 10 secs to load), her face looks like it is peering into the distance, unfazed and thinking of something else. Like WTF, we know her intelligence is not normal, but the fact that she is 90% devoid of common everyday sense makes me think she is partly autistic. Also, "Some persons with [autism] excel in visual skills, music, math and art."(autismspeaks.org). This adds to the explanation for her talents. However Shiina is so very lucky to have such nice friends who do not take advantage of her and take care of her for FREE because she can barely live by herself and... god forbid is she does, I think she needs a helper for LIFE.

What makes you think, that autistics have no common sense?
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 30, 2015 12:30 PM

Dec 2014
Without a doubt, she's autistic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2015 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
She is.
Feb 25, 2015 11:40 AM

Feb 2013
unlikely
Mar 1, 2015 10:21 AM
Oct 2011
TheBigGuy said:
_Dazzle_ said:

Speaking as someone with Autism I can vouch for the acuraccy of said statement.
Mar 1, 2015 10:29 AM

Jan 2015
Why are people calling her Shiina? Nobody in the show calls her that.
Mar 1, 2015 2:40 PM
May 2013
At first I thought she might be, but over the course of the series, she more and more just seemed really really socially underdeveloped, which isn't the same thing.
Mar 5, 2015 3:40 PM

Mar 2015
ayuxx said:
At first I thought she might be, but over the course of the series, she more and more just seemed really really socially underdeveloped, which isn't the same thing.

I agree with ayuxx here, I feel as if in the beginning it really seemed like she was slightly autistic. She was unable to take care of herself and emotions and proper social skills were all foreign to her. But this could all be due to the fact that she spent years of her life just studying art and painting and not interacting with her peers like normal kids. As the series goes on and she gets more exposure you can really see how she starts to change. Its as if shes maturing more and more socially, just at a later time in her life since she got a slow start.
Mar 21, 2015 10:18 AM
Jan 2010
Shiina definitely is not autistic. She is only dandere.
Mar 25, 2015 12:01 PM

Nov 2013
animalia said:
TheBigGuy said:

I spent four years with people with autism and they had common sense.
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 25, 2015 12:36 PM
Oct 2011
TheBigGuy said:
animalia said:

I spent four years with people with autism and they had common sense.
Well what other people consider common sense often isn't common sense to me until it is explanied. And even then it isn't always true, for example while I accept that for clothing in western society there are certain things that are considered decent and undecent. I still it thinks its a bunch of rubbish logically, even though I understand people's rationale.
Mar 27, 2015 3:28 PM

Nov 2013
From Dictionary.com

Common Sense: sound practical judgement that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

From Wikipedia:

Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

"Common sense" has at least two specifically philosophical meanings. One is a capability of the animal soul (Greek psukhē) proposed by Aristotle, which enables different individual senses to collectively perceive the characteristics of physical things such as movement and size, which all physical things have in different combinations, allowing people and other animals to distinguish and identify physical things. This common sense is distinct from basic sensory perception and from human rational thinking, but cooperates with both. The second special use of the term is Roman-influenced and is used for the natural human sensitivity for other humans and the community. Just like the everyday meaning, both of these refer to a type of basic awareness and ability to judge which most people are expected to share naturally, even if they can not explain why.

There is no true or false common sense. Using your example with clothing, common sense is, that you should wear some when leaving your house or the like. What type of clothing you wear, is affected by other things.
Jun 24, 2015 4:44 PM
Jun 2015
Tugar said:
ayuxx said:

I agree with ayuxx here, I feel as if in the beginning it really seemed like she was slightly autistic. She was unable to take care of herself and emotions and proper social skills were all foreign to her. But this could all be due to the fact that she spent years of her life just studying art and painting and not interacting with her peers like normal kids. As the series goes on and she gets more exposure you can really see how she starts to change. Its as if shes maturing more and more socially, just at a later time in her life since she got a slow start.

Speaking from experience I can confidently say Shiina indeed has a form of autism. There are many forms, in which each autistic person could fall into very different ends of the 'symptoms pool'

Two aspergers could be very different just because one has a different and unique set of symptoms compared to the other. So just because shiina doesn't show all the symptoms or specific symtpoms, doesn't mean she doesnt have a form of autism.

With the whole 'learnt to socialize' thing, I can totally vouch for that not affecting her diagnosis at all. In fact, I've been through similar myself. Autism majorly affects social abilities and ones ability to effectively communicate both verbally and nonverbally, and for Shiina this plays a big role in
her relationship with Sorata.

Typical of aspergers/autistic people is that we struggle to communicate effectively. Whether that be speech related or simply not knowing how to touch on these topics, we all struggle.

Shiina as we've seen has blossomed and grown since the first episode in terms of social skills. Does this mean she was never impaired? No. Autistic people if given the time and nurture and a good environment, can and will learn how to overcome their inability to socialize.

The problem isnt that they cant socialize 'end of story' no its more in the learning aspect. I struggled greatly for the longest time and it was obvious to those around me that something wasnt quite right but over time I was given many opportunities to learn and develop my social skills, how to jump the hurdles so I can socialize adequately enough to work well with other's. Now I've reached a point where people can hardly tell that I have Aspergers.

So im just saying, it's not impossible for Shiina to have autism and have learnt how to overcome these obstacles. Of course its not as easy as that, it takes time and even then all the time and nurture in the world cant overcome the issues given because of autism 100% but, it can make life easier.

Seriously though, Shiina has autism. Undoubtedly.
Jan 3, 2016 10:31 PM
Jan 2016
as a Psych graduate, yes it is possible that she has Asperger's. but one of the best example of the Asperger's Syndrome is Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

I think Mashiro is more of the Savant Syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome
Feb 18, 2016 11:47 AM
Feb 2016
She is not autistic.
She has DPD (Dependant Personality Disorder)
Look it up
She also has Eidetic memory
Nothing to do with Autism.
Feb 24, 2016 5:10 AM

Dec 2014
catknife said:
She is not autistic.
She has DPD (Dependant Personality Disorder)
Look it up
She also has Eidetic memory
Nothing to do with Autism.

Ok but the fans take things too far they may be more happy with autism instead ....lol
Mar 7, 2016 12:57 PM

Aug 2014
anime is autistic in general soooo

penis lol
Mar 7, 2016 4:38 PM

Nov 2012
Should I watch this show for the autismdere?
Mar 11, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2016
DGemu said:
_Dazzle_ said:

So true. It's like Charlie Brown, the parents don't matter.
“Don't think about what you need to do. Just follow your desires.” - Aoi Ryuuhei (Baby Steps)
Mar 11, 2016 2:27 PM

Jul 2012
Yes said:
Mooncake said:
YES.
Yes?

Yeah I think she is autistic, but she falls in love with the main character, I thought autistic people couldn't really do that.

She's more of a Savant than an autism. Also not all autistic people have the same deficiencies. There is an autism spectrum which determines the areas which they are deficient in caused by chromosomal abnormalities. You should go read the wiki on it, it's actually quite interesting.

The point is though yes autistic can feel love. Love is hormonal after all. But whether they can comprehend and express these feelings of love is a completely different dilemma.
Mar 14, 2016 8:31 PM

Feb 2008
In ep2 the MC calls her "special".
Mar 14, 2016 9:16 PM

May 2015
TheBigGuy said:
_Dazzle_ said:

what do you think autism is?
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 15, 2016 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
Malarkey said:
TheBigGuy said:

I know what autism is, but it seems like you don't respectively you have misconceptions about it.
Mar 15, 2016 3:37 PM

May 2015
TheBigGuy said:
Malarkey said:

I know what autism is, but it seems like you don't respectively you have misconceptions about it.

autism is a mental disability that makes the person infected with it have difficulty expressing their thoughts and emotions and do not see the world around them coherently; of course they would lack common sense
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 15, 2016 7:02 PM

Nov 2013
Malarkey said:
TheBigGuy said:

autism is a mental disability that makes the person infected with it have difficulty expressing their thoughts and emotions and do not see the world around them coherently; of course they would lack common sense

1. Autism isn't a mental disability, some autistics have a normal or above average intelligence.
2. "do not see the world around them coherently". That's an incorrect generilization, since there is a wide spectrum in autism.
3. Autistics have difficulties with vagueness, you have to clearly say what you want/mean, but that is not the same thing as lacking common sense.
Mar 15, 2016 7:09 PM

Nov 2013
And what do you mean with "world around them"? If you mean other people and emotions, then that is true. If you mean coherences in Science or Math, that is not necessarily true. Like I said, some autistics have a normal or above average intelligence.
Sep 22, 2016 9:05 AM
Oct 2011
As someone with Asperger's syndrome I must say that one aspect of it that Shina shares with me is difficulty with certain food textures. I would say that this is a sign that she is autistic rather then JUST being sheltered.
Dec 3, 2016 10:04 AM
Nov 2016
If she was forced to paint all the time by her parents this may not be. But she doesn't seem to really understand being social at a basic level. She has interests that she focuses on intently. Doesn't know how to take care of herself well without supervision. Even wraps herself in blankets or sleeps in exhaustion after working on something over and over. She's not good at writing a plot but can draw like nobody's business. I think she is on the spectrum. Plus she really wants to reach out and connect w people yet can't figure out how and sometimes gets utterly confused in that situation. I don't know if the creator meant that or not though.
Plus there's other reasons I forgot. One being she has an amazing visual memory.
Lo-Lo4Dec 3, 2016 10:39 AM
Dec 3, 2016 10:15 AM
Nov 2016
TheBigGuy said:
Malarkey said:

1. Autism isn't a mental disability, some autistics have a normal or above average intelligence.
2. "do not see the world around them coherently". That's an incorrect generilization, since there is a wide spectrum in autism.
3. Autistics have difficulties with vagueness, you have to clearly say what you want/mean, but that is not the same thing as lacking common sense.
. Autism is more a kin to having a learning disorder. The brain of the person works a bit differently than some so people on the spectrum process information of the world differently in some aspects like texture, sound, visual. I guess some are really smart in one area or more. And for some reason it is harder for people on the spectrum to be socially adept in one way or another.
Dec 29, 2016 6:11 PM
Dec 2016
animalia said:
TheBigGuy said:

I agree and I have autism as well.
May 6, 2017 6:12 PM
Jan 2014
_Dazzle_ said:

I have a friend that is autistic but she never had this staring moment you're talking about....
I do approve about the art part as my friend do write and draw often but not at a point where she would be a genius...
If they really did make Shiina an autistic character it would be an interesting character development and representation of a person with this illness....
but honestly it would just be a weird overpowered version of autism...

And even more autism doesn't affect any motion senses...
If she didn't tell I would just think my friend was a normal girl with problem at school....
Autism just make her hard for her to learn another language and sometimes concentrate on small text....

So I will just conclude that personally I don't think that Shiina is an autistic character... I just think they legitimately just made her a simple Kuudere type girl....
And if they did try to make an autistic character.... They completely fucked up and have never seen or speaked to someone who actually sufured from it....
Jun 25, 2017 2:50 AM
Jun 2016
Can people stop discussing about autism and just enjoy her presence in the anime? O_o
Bringing up autism just makes me think of her in a bad way, so pls nohate.

......She's not autistic

Jun 25, 2017 10:12 PM

Sep 2009
Yeah, she's full-blown autistic.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 25, 2017 10:46 PM
Feb 2017
I don't know how to tell tbh.
Jun 26, 2017 4:10 AM
Oct 2011
As someone with Asperger's syndrome I can say that she seems to fit the pattern.
Sep 17, 2017 6:25 AM
Sep 2017
Personally,I do not think she is autistic.Just socially underdeveloped.
Sep 17, 2017 6:33 AM

Feb 2016
She has to be autistic. I've already heard this so many times that she seems to be autistic and it kinda makes sense if it comes to her personality.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Dec 7, 2017 4:38 PM
Dec 2017
yes Shiina is conpletely retarded.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Girl

Shizuna - Mar 23, 2022

29 by Mochi_i »»
Mar 31, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 25, 2013

639 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 25, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2013

227 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 24, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

319 by Fadhil01dx »»
Feb 24, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Shiina vs Aoyama ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Genomax - Nov 13, 2012

490 by rishamr »»
Feb 19, 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.