Forums
New
Do you own a body pillow?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 7, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
yhfxirai said:
I don`t own a body pillow but i want one xD
a reason why so many anime fans are cringey is probaby because they never go out lol
Dark_Chaos said:
Those aren't anime fans you are talking about. They are commonly known as weeaboos or japanophiles.

and this

You can get one a dollar general for $10 here in the usa. I'm sure you can find one at some store for relatively cheap there, at least if what you want is just a normal body pillow.

Since the poll seems to give away the reasoning for this thread...
There are reasons that sometimes the japanese term is used in place of the english. It gives a different understanding to those familiar with the terms. I have a body pillow. It's soft and purple. If you say body pillow, even an anime fan isn't going to assume it has some character on it unless you use it in that context. Anyone who knows the word dakimakura is going to think first of a body pillow with a character on it (at least when speaking english).

Because you're referring to another culture, it sometimes is easier to get your point across by using the familiar term in that culture's language. My husband and I do the same thing when we talk about his country. There are direct translations for words like "albanil" (this forum doesn't like the spanish -n-... just pretend the tilde is there), but they put across different images to people who know both cultures & words.
JadeQuetzalJun 7, 2014 4:37 PM
Jun 7, 2014 5:35 PM

Jun 2012
I don't see what the big deal is, as people like that are really easy to avoid. They aren't harming you in any way, either.

Oh and I do have a body pillow.
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Jun 7, 2014 6:11 PM
Jan 2013
Because all anime fans are like that, right?

Yeah, I own a body pillow.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2014 6:15 PM
Aug 2012
I would own a dakimakura if I had enough money and found one with a nice design.

cringe pls
Jun 7, 2014 6:29 PM

Jan 2012
I've actually never seen anyone like that in person. Not that I get out much I suppose...
Jun 7, 2014 6:41 PM
Apr 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
You've all seen them: the ones who replace English words with broken Japanese, who take their body pillows with them to town, who only converse about anime, who wear Naruto headbands and haven't showered for a week.
Other forms of media also have these, but they are way more prevalent in the anime fanbase. Why is that?

It's not that bad to have an obsession everyone has it and those who you mentioned just happen to be otakus and they comprise much less of people who do watch anime.

Not that many anime fans are otakus, just a few of them, at least from what i think :/
Jun 7, 2014 6:49 PM

Apr 2013
Heck no, i'm never wanted to have it though
And just let those freak do as they want
Jun 7, 2014 9:40 PM

Sep 2013
I suppose some people take it too far. I stumbled on this website a while back.

http://weebstories.tumblr.com/

It makes me want to avoid conventions and other places where the truly nutty anime fans congregate. However, the worst fans probably aren't all that numerous and can be avoided. I've been to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles a few times, and even though there are at least two stores in the neighborhood that should attract weeaboos of the worst kind, I haven't encountered anybody who makes me want to flee back to Oceanside with my tail between my legs. I've even been in those stores and I have bought things there, including DVDs of one of my favorite series, so I've been right in the middle of the local anime and manga scene. (Those stores are in a rather dilapidated half-dead mall that looks quite pitiful compared to the rest of Little Tokyo, which is a fun and lively neighborhood and one of my favorite places in all of southern California.)

I'm sure most anime fans are fine. The few overly obsessive ones are likely to get noticed, however, and they give the entire community a bad name.

And no - I don't own a body pillow with an anime character printed on it. I don't particularly want one either, but if one somehow ended up in my possession, I'm sure I would find a use for it rather than throw it away (but I would keep it well hidden). I do have a Lucky Star keychain, so perhaps I am a bit of an anime weirdo.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Jun 7, 2014 10:40 PM

Oct 2012
I would say because most anime fans are younger and anime is just one of those things that attracts the socially inept.

Jun 7, 2014 10:41 PM
Nov 2008
i've been an anime fan for a long time, and i've never met anyone who does that outside of conventions.
Jun 7, 2014 10:43 PM

Aug 2009
Someone is spending too much time on Sankaku Complex.

Jun 7, 2014 10:49 PM

Jun 2012
WeirdHeather said:
I do have a Lucky Star keychain, so perhaps I am a bit of an anime weirdo.
I have a keychain of Hidan from Naruto, I don't think it's weird at all.
Jun 7, 2014 10:51 PM

Jul 2013
I have a Gilgamesh keychain from F/Z but that's weird since it exhibits good taste in this case

but yeah not really that weird >_>
Jun 7, 2014 10:56 PM

Jun 2012
hybreezy said:
I have a Gilgamesh keychain from F/Z but that's weird since it exhibits good taste in this case

but yeah not really that weird >_>
Good taste denotes an aptitude for watching people call eachother mongrels and running away before even fighting.

I got mine four years ago though, probably wouldn't today.
Jun 8, 2014 1:20 AM

Jan 2014
Refer to the link in my signature for a prime example of this cringiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Jun 8, 2014 2:26 AM

Jan 2011
WeirdHeather said:
I suppose some people take it too far. I stumbled on this website a while back.

http://weebstories.tumblr.com/

After reading some of those stories I don't want to watch anime ever again.
Jun 8, 2014 6:18 AM

Feb 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
...who take their body pillows with them to town...

...I'm sorry? I didn't think people who bought body pillows actually existed.
Jun 8, 2014 9:08 AM

Jan 2013
Toradoche said:
kokkoderrisch said:
...who take their body pillows with them to town...

oh its real alright, even if u are being sarcastic id post this pic anyway
Jun 8, 2014 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
Major123 said:
Toradoche said:

oh its real alright, even if u are being sarcastic id post this pic anyway
]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e9lHHhdbrz4/TbX4tmj1fDI/AAAAAAAADzQ/JP988iEQsOk/s1600/anime02.jpg

>You will never drink a smoothie in a nice restaurant with your waifu
Why live?
Jun 8, 2014 11:00 AM

Feb 2013
Am i the only one who's never seen anyone like this before? Like, ever? O.o
Jun 9, 2014 2:20 AM
Oct 2013
Oh yes.
Jun 9, 2014 2:24 AM

Oct 2012
I like how they made it look her smoothie was almost gone. Attention to detail right there.

Jun 9, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2013
I ain't like that. B-b-baka!
Jun 9, 2014 2:33 AM

Nov 2012
Pretty sure we've had this thread quite a number of times. Either way, every fandom has it's yuck people.
Jun 9, 2014 3:32 AM

Oct 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
You've all seen them: the ones who replace English words with broken Japanese, who take their body pillows with them to town, who only converse about anime, who wear Naruto headbands and haven't showered for a week.
Other forms of media also have these, but they are way more prevalent in the anime fanbase. Why is that?

Aye, I know how you feel. There are some people on here who I would like to mention but I don't wish to fight. If I want to fight, I'll do martial arts again
Jun 9, 2014 3:40 AM

Nov 2012
What makes anime fans cringey? Buying merchandise? Masturbating to anime characters? Because I can tell you that I although I don't own any body pillows yet I have a shit ton of anime merchandise and masturbate to hentai every night. If you ask me it's the socially awkward aspect that is the most cringe worthy and I can at least talk to other people normally without going on about my hobbies. TLDR, body pillows have nothing to do with anime fans being socially incompetent.
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Jun 9, 2014 3:43 AM

Feb 2014
CursedDanger said:
What makes anime fans cringey? Buying merchandise? Masturbating to anime characters? Because I can tell you that I although I don't own any body pillows yet I have a shit ton of anime merchandise and masturbate to hentai every night. If you ask me it's the socially awkward aspect that is the most cringe worthy and I can at least talk to other people normally without going on about my hobbies. TLDR, body pillows have nothing to do with anime fans being socially incompetent.

John K. Peta avatar makes that statement a lot more valid for me :P
Jun 9, 2014 4:34 AM

May 2012
What's wrong with a body pillow? They're nice to spoon with.
Jun 9, 2014 8:52 AM

Dec 2012
shockzz1234 said:
Am i the only one who's never seen anyone like this before? Like, ever? O.o

I haven't either.
Jun 9, 2014 8:55 AM

Feb 2010
It's because they're all so self-conscious about their fandom and open threads like that to prove that even anime fans believe in the negative clichés of the fandom. That's what makes ME cringe.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 9, 2014 7:33 PM

Aug 2013
VNitsua said:

That was definitely cringe worthy. What the hell was that chick talking about?! My poor ears...

Yeah, the OP is talking about weeaboos.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jun 9, 2014 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
VNitsua said:

That's a bit forced, but otherwise it's not cringe worthy in my opinion.
Jun 9, 2014 8:25 PM
Apr 2014
It's okay to like something, but some people seriously need to get a life and find some other hobbies besides anime
More Power for the Starpower 🌟💫
Jun 9, 2014 8:54 PM

Dec 2013
That's what you call a weeabo,''someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find alot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local bookstore. Synonym of wapanese.'' In similar words, a retard.
Jun 9, 2014 11:32 PM

Jul 2011
I've only met a guy like that. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate him, but I definitely don't like the way he acts. It doesn't affect me directly, and I just try to avoid him, but I do think people like him give the rest of anime fans a bad reputation.
In my opinion you should be able to enjoy anime and the japanese culture without having to be some kind of wannabe.

Btw, I'm talking about the people who take these kind of things to the extreme. I don't think owning pillows or figurines, doing cosplay in conventions or talking about anime from time to time is a bad thing.
Jun 9, 2014 11:35 PM

Nov 2013
No, not at all, you have your stereotypes all wrong.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 9, 2014 11:44 PM

Apr 2014
Well, I mean... look at the stuff they watch.
Jun 10, 2014 12:06 AM

Jul 2013
Those guys are a bit obsessed, that is all there is to it. They exist everywhere, Music, TV, Sports, Films
Jun 10, 2014 1:29 AM

Feb 2014
Most anime fans I've encountered were indeed an embarrassment to humanity. Now not everyone of course, I've met some great people who were anime fans who you could categorize as "normal". But for the most part, there are more weeaboos then there are normal fans.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Atashi_Agatha »»
11 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

191 by Jonas-K »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 29 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
9 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

15 by JaniSIr »»
13 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

43 by EastIndiaCompany »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.