Forum Settings
Forums

so my mom is stealing money from my bank account

New
Jun 6, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2013
Like I said, after I got my first few paychecks and deposited them into my bank account, my mom literally, confiscated my card and starts using it on whatever she wants. I am literally so upset right now that I don't know what to do, like she's my mom, I tried talking to her about it and she basically wants something in return for raising me... I don't even know what to do, honestly...
"It's our job as normal humans to make sure the potential on those misunderstood one is realized" - No Game No Life, Sora
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2014
"Something in return for raising me" - that's silly reasoning, imo. She's pretty much stealing.
Jun 6, 2014 2:33 PM

Apr 2012
is she buying heroin with your money?

Mar 2014
She can't do that. That's a crime. She's just milking you for what you're worth because she either resents you or doesn't care about you.
May 2007
Do you officially share the account with your mother?
Jun 6, 2014 2:36 PM

Aug 2012
That is a crime indeed.

But OP, plz. Are you living WITH your mom?

IF you are living with her, you MUST give her the money. Because after all, you are just leeching all her resources.

You should simply move away and have your own life. If she tries to steal your money, just sue her. But if you are still living with her, stop complaining.
Jun 6, 2014 2:36 PM

Aug 2013
goulartknight said:
basically wants something in return for raising me...

I know how you feel I always have to lend my folks a ton of my money. They used to ask polity and give a reason now they just basically tell me to lend them money and because I lived at home without paying rent in the past for a year or so I can't really argue with them because they pull out the guilt card.

Beyond just taking your card back and making sure its hidden from your parent im not sure what else you can do.
Jun 6, 2014 2:38 PM

Apr 2014
Is there more value in her having the money and you having (I'm assuming here) to not pay for things like gas, electricity, rent, food etc or is there more value in having the money and having to pay for all of that stuff yourself? She's definitely stealing from you but I doubt you're going to continue living in her house if you sue her.

Actually, is it a shared bank account? Why does she know the PIN for your bank card?
Jun 6, 2014 2:41 PM
Feb 2014
Thank god I live here.In my country i could stay in my parents house until 30 and they would feed me like a bitch

If I'm married that would be a different story
Jun 6, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2012
bash107 said:
In my country i could stay in my parents house until 30 and they would feed me like a bitch
That doesn't actually depends on the country you live.
Jun 6, 2014 2:44 PM
Feb 2014
lupadim said:
bash107 said:
In my country i could stay in my parents house until 30 and they would feed me like a bitch
That doesn't actually depends on the country you live.

I meant my country ''generally''.
Jun 6, 2014 2:45 PM

Mar 2014
You can make your account inaccessible to her.
Jun 6, 2014 2:47 PM

Aug 2013
The OP hasn't even stated her home situation yet so you can't jump to conclusions because either way you look at it, taking someones card and using it to buy stuff for yourself without permission is wrong and disrespectful.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
VudisJun 7, 2014 3:58 AM
Jun 6, 2014 2:49 PM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:

The OP hasn't even stated her home situation yet so you can't jump to conclusions because either way you look at it, taking someones card and using it to buy stuff for yourself without permission is wrong and disrespectful.
Say what you want, but if the OP lives with his parents he will have to choose between having $600 and no house or having $0 while also having a home, food, all bills paid, Internet access and a family

VudisJun 7, 2014 3:59 AM
Jun 6, 2014 2:53 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
Say what you want, but if the OP lives with his parents he will have to choose between having $600 and no house or having $0 while also having a home, food, all bills paid, Internet access and a family

Or or like normal respectful family members, work out a monthly payment plan, what it will cost for bills, rent and so on. Make an agreement and how about, now here me out....Not just taking someones credit card and spending their money without their permission.

My parents took 200 from me last week to buy fancy outfits for a night out but at least when I used to live at home we had a payment plan worked out and only one time did they steal my card without me knowing.

Also I suppose im the only one worried now IMG is back every thread is going to become meaningless img spam.
Jun 6, 2014 2:55 PM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
lupadim said:

Or or like normal respectful family members, work out a monthly payment plan, what it will cost for bills, rent and so on. Make an agreement and how about, now here me out....Not just taking someones credit card and spending their money without their permission.

My parents took £200 from me last week to buy fancy outfits for a night out but at least when I used to live at home we had a payment plan worked out and only one time did they steal my card without me knowing.
Now let's calculate how much your parents had to spend with you.

I know that the "I want something in exchange for raising you" excuse is flawed, but it is still valid.
Jun 6, 2014 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
lupadim said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

My parents took �£200 from me last week to buy fancy outfits for a night out but at least when I used to live at home we had a payment plan worked out and only one time did they steal my card without me knowing.

I know that the "I want something in exchange for raising you" excuse is flawed, but it is still valid.
Nope, is an obligation, not a favor what you're doing to your child.
Jun 6, 2014 2:56 PM

Apr 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:

Depends, if you're 19 or older and this happens you're way past the time frame for your parents obligation to house, clothe and feed you. They're not doing it because they're obligated to anymore, it's because they either want to or they consider it a favour to you. Even a single year of rent, food and utilities is a shitload of money.

VudisJun 7, 2014 4:01 AM
Jun 6, 2014 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
UnoPuntoCinco said:
lupadim said:

The OP is 19 years old. It is NOT their obligation to take care of him and babysit him anymore.
Jun 6, 2014 2:59 PM

Oct 2013
lupadim said:
The OP is 19 years old. It is NOT their obligation to take care of him and babysit him anymore.
Didn't know that. OP, get outta there ritenow.

Am I the only one that sees more and more ��ï when we quote this?

Mod Edit: Modified quote tower; please spoiler or remove old quotes.
VudisJun 7, 2014 4:01 AM
Jun 6, 2014 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:

Because spending all their first few paychecks is really going to get them moved out and living independently quicker. Expect payment yea but logical payment, rent, bills maybe food but not just take the money when and how much you feel like.
Jun 6, 2014 3:01 PM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
lupadim said:

Because spending all their first few paychecks is really going to get them moved out and living independently quicker. Expect payment yea but logical payment, rent, bills maybe food but not just take the money when and how much you feel like.
I am pretty sure the OP's parents are allowing him to save some amount of money.

And anyway, as I said before, it is not their obligation to take care of him anymore. It's not like the OP can do anything about it.
Jun 6, 2014 3:02 PM

Apr 2014
Kibura_Iburasa said:
lupadim said:

I've never seen or heard of a parent stealing their child's bank card and spending the cash on whatever they want though. I wonder if the OP's mother considers this to be a permanent fixture or a bit of a one off just for the hell of it. I actually have a lot of questions regarding this situation. It is intriguing.
Jun 6, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
lupadim said:
I am pretty sure the OP's parents are allowing him to save some amount of money.

Its all speculation until the OP gives us more details than what was first provided, we need more information if he expects an accurate response.

idungoof said:

I've never seen or heard of a parent stealing their child's bank card and spending the cash on whatever they want though.

My parents have done it before, because I lived at home for 2 months or so without paying rent at a time I was skint they helped themselves to over a grand a year later at random points. I didn't want to argue over it so I said call it my rent whilst I stayed and call it quits but they have been helping themselves to a lot more lately its getting to a point where im going to stop going over because everytime I visit I come back with a lighter wallet.
SpooksJun 6, 2014 3:09 PM
Jun 6, 2014 3:04 PM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
lupadim said:

Its all speculation until the OP gives us more details than what was first provided, we need more information if he expects an accurate response.
Now supposing the OP's parents are being dicks and doing it wrong.

What can the OP do? Sue his own parents, move away and die as a hobo?
Jun 6, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2012
xXWoLFxChAoSXx said:
[i][color=red]Report her to the cops, she is stealing your money, and you are over 18. She legally cant do that.[/size][/i][/color]
[i][color=red]But then he won't have a place to live.[/i][/color][/size]
TyrelJun 6, 2014 3:22 PM
Jun 6, 2014 3:14 PM

Aug 2012
xXWoLFxChAoSXx said:
[b][i]He could live with a friend or relative for about a month, and with the money he earns and saves up he could rent an apartment, or pay someone to live with them till he can finish school/afford a house.[/size][/b][/i]
Or he could just live with his parents.
TyrelJun 6, 2014 3:23 PM
Jun 6, 2014 3:30 PM

Apr 2014
xXWoLFxChAoSXx said:
And let all of his money that he works for get tooken away from him? It's not his fault that his parents had him, so he shouldn't have to pay for it. He isn't his own kid.

Not a kid anymore. Your alternative is not invalid but it doesn't take into account... any other variables. At all.

Also, tooken? I'm not really a spelling nazi but come on.
Jun 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Jul 2011
How's your relationship with your mother? Why not just trying talking to her? Maybe you guys can come to an understanding. Does dad know about this? How does he feel about it?
Jun 6, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
Seems fair enough to an extent. How long has she clothed you, fed you, sheltered you, bought you stuff, so on. I wouldn't let this go on for months and months though lol.
Jun 6, 2014 4:11 PM

Dec 2013
._____. i gave my first salary to my mom..actually i gave my family all my money for 2 years...i don't see the problem..if my mom wants something i would go buy that something myself...
Jun 6, 2014 4:20 PM

Nov 2012
Sounds like bullshit to me... I wouldn't be working somewhere just have my money confiscated, even if it was my parents. My parents are divorced, so I'd just move out and go live with the other one. If the other one was also stealing my $, I'd live with my two cousins who I'm fairly close to and trust quite a bit, save up $, and live by myself as soon as humanly possible.
Jun 6, 2014 4:32 PM

Feb 2014
Most of the people in my country stay in their parent's home till 25-30!
Jun 6, 2014 4:42 PM

Apr 2014
Its called payback, maybe if you gave her some money she wouldn't take it all without asking; kinda worked for me in a similar situation.
---------My Profile------------
Jun 6, 2014 4:53 PM

Mar 2014
Sounds like slavery
Jun 6, 2014 5:29 PM

Aug 2010
That sucks and it isn't fair. Taking all your hard earned cash like that? I would understand if you had a monthly affordable payment plan that you had to give to your mother but actually taking your card? It's very disrespectful and should be corrected. My mother would never think like that. She thinks I should live with her till I graduate from college and she told me I wouldn't have to worry about any money issues. So all the money I make is either for my car or for saving... I guess its a cultural thing in Japan because that's what her mother did for her.

Anyway you should have a talk with her about this issue. You need to get your card back because that is unacceptable. If anything, work out a monthly payment plan with her. I'm sure she would agree and you could probably save money as well.

Jun 6, 2014 7:24 PM

Jan 2014
You should try to reach an agreement with her. It is the money you worked for, so she should ask as she is not entitled to it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 6, 2014 7:28 PM
Apr 2014
I didn't know your family was poor.Jokes.

Tell her to sit down, and talk. Talking is good. Violence is a no-no.

THE RED KING
Jun 6, 2014 7:29 PM
Mar 2011
it is called rent
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 6, 2014 8:01 PM

Dec 2013
OP, if you decide to sue your mom, please go on Judge Mathis. i'm hooked on that show.
Jan 2013
When you hear these words being said "Something in return for raising me," you know it's time to GTFO.
Nov 2008
Sclequer said:
That is a crime indeed.

But OP, plz. Are you living WITH your mom?

IF you are living with her, you MUST give her the money. Because after all, you are just leeching all her resources.

You should simply move away and have your own life. If she tries to steal your money, just sue her. But if you are still living with her, stop complaining.
...you seriously think that?
Jun 6, 2014 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
I heard that 60% of parents don't give back money they take.

Goodluck.

apparently its quite common now with the economy and all.
Jun 6, 2014 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
goulartknight said:
Like I said, after I got my first few paychecks and deposited them into my bank account, my mom literally, confiscated my card and starts using it on whatever she wants. I am literally so upset right now that I don't know what to do, like she's my mom, I tried talking to her about it and she basically wants something in return for raising me... I don't even know what to do, honestly...

Report her for theft. If she kicks you out, then find somewhere else to live. Now had she stated a better reason for wanting money then I could understand but raising you was her job as a parent, and to me that's not something you should be paid back with by having your money taken from you forcibly like that. There are more civil, less demeaning ways of doing that.
Jun 6, 2014 8:21 PM

Oct 2009
lol

It s her house. Don't like it then leave.

You can disown her in the process too though. Tell her that she has to choose between relations with you and your paychecks.
Jun 6, 2014 8:24 PM

Jul 2012
If your over 18 you can probably change the account password, go to a new bank, or pull out money and put it somewhere other than in the bank.
Jun 6, 2014 8:39 PM

Jul 2009
Open a bank account that she doesn't have access to at a different bank, and start depositing checks there instead, but don't move all the money out right away, just make sure you're moved out when it runs out. Then prepare to move out ASAP, and go "No Contact" with her after explaining the situation to family members you trust, preferably extended family she doesn't keep in regular contact with that will respect your desire to not remain in contact with her after this stunt.

Alternatively, walk into the bank and report the card as stolen. You best be ready to change banks and move out, though, because she will probably rain fury down on you for this wholly legal stunt of reporting the card stolen (which it could probably be considered as such).
donavannjJun 6, 2014 8:43 PM
Jun 6, 2014 9:20 PM

Jan 2011
Sclequer said:
OP is 19 years old. It is NOT their obligation to take care of him and babysit him anymore.

What's up with this belief? Why the fuck should you stop taking care of your child once they hit 18?
Jun 6, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2013
Report her, it's your money. Even if she is your mom she has no place stealing what's not her's
My family is a treasure, you need a map and shovel to find them.
Jun 6, 2014 9:58 PM
Nov 2008
ReaperCreeper said:
Sclequer said:
OP is 19 years old. It is NOT their obligation to take care of him and babysit him anymore.

What's up with this belief? Why the fuck should you stop taking care of your child once they hit 18?
the love stops at 18. :(
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

43 by Femboy_Hooters »»
9 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

19 by redlockhigh »»
15 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

40 by Smugdear »»
18 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

31 by Kamikaze_404 »»
37 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

670 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.