Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 3

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (191) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2014 1:00 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
I have the faint suspicion that Attack On Titan ripped off Knights of Sidonia a bit.

Knights of Sidonia Published - Apr 25, 2009

Attack on Titan Published - Sep 9, 2009

I still have to look into Attack on Titan to come to a conclusion though.

lol attack on titan got its concepts from muv luv game.

I'm still going to watch nana though. that's sad to hear. :(
Jun 7, 2014 1:00 AM

Dec 2012
Spoilers for FMA:B

#1-10

#11-26

*A lot of plot points, including the ones above, seem to arise from dumb luck, and involve poor planning/leaving things to chance on the part of several characters, and it often seems like the author didn�t think it all the way through. AND it seems like a lot of the inconsistencies also arise from, as mentioned before in some places, for the sake of CONVENIENCE to the story. Things like that really cheapen it, in my opinion.
TyrelJun 7, 2014 1:08 AM
Jun 7, 2014 1:01 AM

Nov 2013
stealthdasher said:
I have the faint suspicion that Attack On Titan ripped off Knights of Sidonia a bit.

The author of Attack on Titan is a fan of the author of Sidonia, AoT didn't exactly 'rip off' Sidonia, but it has similarities with it because it's inspired by Nihei's works, which are also similar to each other from what I hear.
Jun 7, 2014 1:02 AM

Oct 2013
Botato said:
stealthdasher said:

The author of Attack on Titan is a fan of the author of Sidonia, AoT didn't exactly 'rip off' Sidonia, but it has similarities with it because it's inspired by Nihei's works, which are also similar to each other from what I hear.

He got his concepts from muv luv game. read this its his interview http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=892711
Jun 7, 2014 1:03 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:

How do you even have the patience to write out stuff like this?
Jun 7, 2014 1:05 AM
Jul 2013
yhunata said:
tsudecimo said:

Don't know, but I say that wall of spoiler-heavy text will be dealt with soon enough. I suggest nobody read that if they haven't seen the series.
Jun 7, 2014 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
keragamming said:
lol attack on titan got its concepts from muv luv game.

I haven't played it. But I remember reading that somewhere as well.

My suspicion from Sidonia were based a bit from a certain aspect of it's premise and also when the Gauna (the alien creatures in Sidonia) morph into these humanoid monstrosities after they consume a human.
Jun 7, 2014 1:08 AM

Nov 2013
yhunata said:
tsudecimo said:

L2 copy paste.

keragamming said:
Botato said:

He got his concepts from muv luv game. read this its his interview http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=892711

Not really sure, but I also heard Nihei inspired him too. Either way, they have a couple of similarities but calling AoT a rip off is a bit of a stretch.
Jun 7, 2014 1:10 AM
Jul 2013
Kill la Kill overrated or underrated?
Jun 7, 2014 1:10 AM

Apr 2011
Botato said:
yhunata said:

L2 copy paste.

He had to write it at least once, didn't he?
Jun 7, 2014 1:12 AM

Apr 2013
After rewatching it, I'd say Suisei no Gargantia is underrated.

While the story is predictable, it was still enjoyable and I didn't mind the change in tone from light-hearted to a darker one. Both the animation and art style were excellent and made the setting more captivating, so that even the slice of life moments were interesting. It's also one of the first time the CG didn't bother me at all, so props to Production I.G. for that.
The characters are definitely not the strongest point of this series, but Ledo is in my opinion a good main character and the rest of the cast could have been worse.

To me, it feels like it deserves at least a rating in the 8- 8.30 range
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 7, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Botato said:

Not really sure, but I also heard Nihei inspired him too. Either way, they have a couple of similarities but calling AoT a rip off is a bit of a stretch.

Isayama clearly said he wasn't really interested in manga, the only manga he was interested in was arms at that time. I don't even know who the hell is Nihei's.

So basically attack on titan was created with the help of the muv luv alternate video games and movies.

Mod Edit: Broken quote/Deleted quote you forgot to remove gone
Jun 7, 2014 1:13 AM

Feb 2014
Botato said:

Yeah my bad I sometimes use "ripped of" instead of influenced. Will edit.
Jun 7, 2014 1:14 AM

Nov 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Kill la Kill overrated or underrated?

Definitely overrated.
yhunata said:
Botato said:

L2 copy paste.

Yes. That just means he actually puts some thought into his arguments.

Okay fine tsudecimo -.-
BotatoJun 7, 2014 1:21 AM
Jun 7, 2014 1:15 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
Botato said:

Can you guys give me a link that Isayama said he was influence by Nihei's.? Because this is news to me.

I don't know how Isayama is influence by so much things, because if you guys read the muv luv series, alot of things are similar to attack on titan, even more than sidonia, so I don't understand.
Jun 7, 2014 1:16 AM
Jul 2013
Just going to point out while I don't think SnK is overrated, the author is a sellout and should be criticized for it.
Jun 7, 2014 1:17 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:

I didn't write it. I don't even remember anything about FMA since I watched it so long ago. I copy pasted it from somewhere.

IMG is back, your sig is incorrect :c
Jun 7, 2014 1:19 AM

Apr 2010
Sung-Hwan said:
Just going to point out while I don't think SnK is overrated, the author is a sellout and should be criticized for it.

Because of the whole spiel of changing the ending after it became so popular?

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:

I didn't write it. I don't even remember anything about FMA since I watched it so long ago. I copy pasted it from somewhere.

IMG is back, your sig is incorrect :c

Oh. And I know of the IMG, I spent the most of last night creating a new set.... I've still finished only half of it though.

Oct 2013
Sung-Hwan said:

I think he has already been criticized for changing the ending. You're talking about the ending right?

I honestly think Isayama was a young fool, to actually tell people that he's changing the ending and also announcing that the manga will end in 20 volumes. He should have kept his mouth shut. That's the only problem I have with him.

Hint, my theory is that he's making a excuse that he's changing the ending to extend the series. I honestly don't think he was going to kill them at all. Just my hunch.
keragammingJun 7, 2014 1:23 AM
Jun 7, 2014 1:25 AM
Jul 2013
just another case of a guy with fame who is too scared to displease the worst of his fans.
Jun 7, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2013
keragamming said:
stealthdasher said:

Can you guys give me a link that Isayama said he was influence by Nihei's.? Because this is news to me.

I don't know how Isayama is influence by so much things, because if you guys read the muv luv series, alot of things are similar to attack on titan, even more than sidonia, so I don't understand.

So after looking it up myself, it seems he only respects Nihei, but didn't find anything about being influenced by him. But you know, words change the more they move around so I guess that's why I heard Nihei did inspire Isayama.

Then again I am lazy and my search probably sucked, so who knows.
Jun 7, 2014 1:28 AM
Jul 2013
I think the reason that horribly shitty ass, putrid, second half of Death Note came because a lot of babies couldn't fathom [spoiler]Light winning and the series having a fantastic and appropriate ending.

So the author catered to them instead of following what he wanted.

Apr 2010
keragamming said:
Hint, my theory is that he's making a excuse that he's changing the ending to extend the series. I honestly don't think he was going to kill them at all. Just my hunch.

If his inspiration was Muv Luv, I wouldn't have doubted him killing everyone off.

Feb 2014
keragamming said:

Well my statement was just a suspicion based of some similarities which I found between the two series. Knights of Sidonia was published a few months before Attack on Titan so that got me thinking if whether it had bit of an influence on Attack on Titan.
Jun 7, 2014 1:30 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:

Well my statement was just a suspicion based of some similarities which I found between the two series. Knights of Sidonia was published a few months before Attack on Titan so that got me thinking a bit whether it had bit of an influence on Attack on Titan.

Yea, a lot of people said the same thing that snk is a rip off of evangellion and berserk as well.
Jun 7, 2014 1:32 AM

Nov 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
I think the reason that horribly shitty ass, putrid, second half of Death Note came because a lot of babies couldn't fathom
[/quote]
1. It was not the "second half" it was the last third.
2. It was not "horribly shitty ass." It was brilliant and is underrated.

Death Note would be rated 9.00+ if not for people:
1. Hating that their favorite character kicked it.
2. Hated the replacements for their favorite character.
3. Hated that their favorite character lost to 'rip off' characters.

Oh wait, we had this conversation in the last thread...
Jun 7, 2014 1:32 AM

Dec 2012
I think the reason that horribly shitty ass, putrid, second half of Death Note came because a lot of babies couldn't fathom

The series was extended beyond the author's wishes because of the pressure from the editors. The editors wanted the manga to be publishing along side the anime.

Nothing in terms of content was changed to please the fans.
Jun 7, 2014 1:34 AM

Feb 2014
keragamming said:
Yea, a lot of people said the same thing that snk is a rip off of evangellion and berserk as well.

Who knows could be possibly true. It's not regarded as the most original series is it. It's not necessarily bad though if an author takes influence from other works and puts their own spin on it.

Also If you watch Sidonia you may understand a bit where I'm getting at.
Jun 7, 2014 1:34 AM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:

The series was extended beyond the author's wishes because of the pressure from the editors. The editors wanted the manga to be publishing along side the anime.

Nothing in terms of content was changed to please the fans.

Which does not, in any way, make it bad.
Jun 7, 2014 1:35 AM
Jul 2013

Doesn't matter to me either way. This is the real ending to Death Note, and on the somewhat slim occasion I will rewatch it nowadays or recommend it to someone, I always end it with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOa0EF4XBk
Jun 7, 2014 1:41 AM

Nov 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Botato said:

1. It was not the "second half" it was the last third.
2. It was not "horribly shitty ass." It was brilliant and is underrated.

Death Note would be rated 9.00+ if not for people:
1. Hating that their favorite character kicked it.
2. Hated the replacements for their favorite character.
3. Hated that their favorite character lost to 'rip off' characters.

Oh wait, we had this conversation in the last thread...

Doesn't matter to me either way. This is the real ending to Death Note, and on the somewhat slim occasion I will rewatch it nowadays or recommend it to someone, I always end it with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOa0EF4XBk

^ And this is an example of someone who hated that his favorite character lost.
Jun 7, 2014 1:41 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:

Who knows could be possibly true. It's not regarded as the most original series is it. It's not necessarily bad though if an author takes influence from other works and puts their own spin on it.

Also If you watch Sidonia you may understand a bit where I'm getting at.

It's not, muv luv have a lot of similarities to attack on titan. But look at black bullet that is also similar to attack on titan, and then you have people saying black bullet rip off attack on titan. It's best you don't go that way. Also claymore that is similar to these series as well.

The point is, no anime is original, the best you can do is try and execute the story in a different way.
Jun 7, 2014 1:42 AM

Dec 2012
Botato said:

I didn't think it was bad, but I thought everything after episode 25 was inferior. It's still good, and not as bad as people make it out to be imo.

And I know the author was upset about being forced to continue past his desired point, because he showed it in Bakuman. The reference was just too obvious.
Jun 7, 2014 1:48 AM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:
Botato said:

I didn't think it was bad, but I thought everything after episode 25 was inferior. It's still good, and not as bad as people make it out to be imo.

And I know the author was upset about being forced to continue past his desired point, because he showed it in Bakuman. The reference was just too obvious.

Well, yes and no. The last third in the anime is inferior to the first parts, but the second half of the manga is just as good as the first half. It was just fail on Madhouse's part that they didn't adapt it properly. Oh well.

But yes I agree, some people make it seem like unwatchable garbage, and then drop the score of the show from like "omg masterpiece 11/10" to "heh what is this crap? 4/10"
Jun 7, 2014 1:49 AM

Oct 2012
tsudecimo said:
Botato said:

Or the real ending is their desired one, even though they were pressured to continue the series. Well either way the final result couldn't have been better.

Jun 7, 2014 1:50 AM
Jul 2013

There is no reason to watch Death Note past the point I brought up. Ends with total resolution.
Jun 7, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2013
Sung-Hwan said:

There is no reason to watch Death Note past the point I brought up. Ends with total resolution.

Yes yes, hate on the characters more please. Your tears are delicious :3
There are many reasons to watch past that point, one of which is if you desire a fully resolved story. But You don't seem interested in that sort of thing so never mind.
Jun 7, 2014 1:53 AM

Feb 2014
keragamming said:
It's not muv luv have a lot of similarities to attack on titan. But look at black bullet that is also similar to attack on titan, and then you have people saying black bullet rip off attack on titan. It's best you don't go that way. Also claymore that is similar to these series as well.

The point is, no anime is original, the best you can do is try and execute the story in a different way.

All I'm saying is that I'm seeing certain aspects of similarity between the two and that I reckon Sidonia could of perhaps possibly been a bit of an influence considering that it was in fact published prior to Attack on Titan.

Also yeah sure some fairly original anime out there compared to others, take a look at Mushishi for example.
Jun 7, 2014 1:55 AM
Jul 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:
It's not muv luv have a lot of similarities to attack on titan. But look at black bullet that is also similar to attack on titan, and then you have people saying black bullet rip off attack on titan. It's best you don't go that way. Also claymore that is similar to these series as well.

All I'm saying is that I'm seeing certain aspects of similarity between the two and that I reckon Sidonia could of perhaps possibly been a bit of an influence considering that it was in fact published prior to Attack on Titan.

Also yeah sure some fairly original anime out there compared to others, take a look at Mushishi for example.

Mushishi is only overrated in the fact that its fanbase is severely misplaced.
Jun 7, 2014 2:05 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:

Time to end your speculation. Attack on titan chapter 0 prototype was release in 2006. link to chapter. http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/0/1/
Jun 7, 2014 2:27 AM

Feb 2014
keragamming said:
Time to end your speculation. Attack on titan chapter 0 prototype was release in 2006. link to chapter. http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/0/1/

A oneshot doesn't exactly help man. I still do have a bit of a supiscion Nihei may possibly have influenced Isayama a bit regarding AOT. Also taking into considering that Botato posted that the Isayama respects Nihei's work.
AzlanJun 7, 2014 5:06 AM
Jun 7, 2014 2:31 AM

Nov 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:

A oneshot doesn't exactly help man. I still do have a bit of a supiscion Nihei may possibly have influenced Isayama a bit regarding AOT. Also taking into considering that Botato posted that the Isayama's a fan of Nihei.

Not sure if my latest post on the matter got lost between the quotes and you didn't see it, so I'll repeat what I said in it.

He respects Nihei as a manga artist, but I found nothing that proves he inspired him. However it is still possible since he mentioned Nihei by name.
Jun 7, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2010
I wonder what would happen to Death note if

Jun 7, 2014 2:33 AM

Oct 2013
stealthdasher said:
keragamming said:

A oneshot doesn't exactly help man. I still do have a bit of a supiscion Nihei may possibly have influenced Isayama a bit regarding AOT. Also taking into considering that Botato posted that the Isayama's a fan of Nihei.

Facepalm! It seems the denial is over 90000! Do you think Nihei is the only person Isayama is a fan of? He's a fan of the person that created the muv luv series, their actually good friends. I already told you that he was influence by the muv luv game, did you even read the interview?

Also what do you mean by a one shot didn't help? It proves that he already know how the story will be. Also sindonia came out a few month before snk, I'm pretty sure it didn't get popular in those few month, I don't know why you can't accept that snk got influence by muv luv, I bet you don't even read/watch the series, because if you did you would see a lot of similarities.
keragammingJun 7, 2014 2:38 AM
Jun 7, 2014 2:34 AM

Feb 2014
Botato said:

My bad shitty memory. I'll edit my post.
AzlanJun 7, 2014 7:01 AM
Jun 7, 2014 2:39 AM
Jul 2013
jal90 said:

There is nothing insufficient.
Jun 7, 2014 2:39 AM

Nov 2013
jal90 said:

This.

keragamming said:
stealthdasher said:

Facepalm! It seems the denial is over 90000! Do you think Nihei is the only person Isayama is a fan of? He's a fan of the person that created the muv luv series, their actually good friends. I already told you that he was influence by the muv luv game, did you even read the interview?

Also what do you mean by a one shot didn't help? It proves that he already know how the story will be. Also sindonia came out a few month before snk, I'm pretty sure it didn't get popular in those few month, I don't know why you can't accept that snk got influence by muv luv, I bet you don't even read/watch the series, because if you did you would see a lot of similarities.

Dude calm down xD
He's not denying it, just throwing out the possibility that Isayama is influenced by Nihei. That isn't a bad thing really. And I find it to be a reasonable assumption tbh.
Jun 7, 2014 2:43 AM

Oct 2013
Botato said:
jal90 said:

This.

keragamming said:

Dude calm down xD
He's not denying it, just throwing out the possibility that Isayama is influenced by Nihei. That isn't a bad thing really. And I find it to be a reasonable assumption tbh.

Yea, I understand, but with all the factual proofs I gave him I thought his common sense would kick in, but nope. He just keeps on saying the same thing over and over, when the facts are right in his face. That really annoys me. :S
Jun 7, 2014 2:46 AM

Nov 2013
keragamming said:

Yea, I understand, but with all the factual proofs I gave him I thought his common sense would kick in, but nope. He just keeps on saying the same thing over and over, when the facts are right in his face. That really annoys me. :S

Oh c'mon, you're not being fair, I mean read what he said again:
"I still do have a bit of a supiscion Nihei may possibly have influenced Isayama a bit."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (191) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 7 hours ago

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
22 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
33 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.