Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 5, 2014 7:41 PM
Oct 2012
This is going to sound like a troll, but I am honestly serious about this question and would like to hear various people's opinion on the topic.

When do you give up on a series when you really enjoyed the books?

To give an alternative example. SAO. I liked the novels. I started reading them after the 4th episode because I really disliked the series and wanted to see why it was popular. Loved the books. Was converted and tried to defend the series (this was made easier when they got closer to the end of the first arc and had a couple of good episodes), but while I really liked reading the Alfheim arc, as I watched it, with each successive episode, I couldn't shake the growing horror that the adaption had none of the humor or joy of the novels that I had liked and instead focused on the pandering things I disliked (tentacles and Asuna as chained princess), and somewhere around the time Kirito fought the Salamander General I gave up hoping that things would improve.

This is one of the reasons I am waiting until after the series is over before reading the books. I think I would enjoy the books, but really don't want to duplicate my disappointment should the adaption fail (since I am locked in until the end).

But this got me thinking about when people give up hope on something they really wanted to succeed. Think "Return of the Jedi" for the Star Wars series (or "Phantom Menace" for others).

Now, for those who like the adaption, please don't take this as a slight, people's tastes differ. But there have been enough LN Readers who have expressed disappointment that I would like to hear their opinions on the general topic.

Also, it doesn't have to be about this series, if there is another adaption that would be fine as well.
Jun 5, 2014 9:05 PM

May 2010
Here's my take on it. The existence of a crappy adaptation doesn't take anything away from the brilliance of the source material. It hasn't failed me yet. (It's why I'm never gonna watch The Last of Us film they're making, because the game is perfect as is.) The source material still exists and it's still good. Honestly, that should be where you start and end, but I understand the appeal of wanting to see a favorite series in motion.
Jun 5, 2014 9:28 PM
Oct 2013
If anyone really like or look forward to something they not going to give up hope untilits done and set int stone.
Jun 5, 2014 10:31 PM

Oct 2013
I would really love to think we LN readers set too high a bar for the adaptation. I mean, way before it was even decided that there was going to be an anime, we discussed how difficult it would be to translate the information in the novels to the small screen. I realized, at the time, that it was mostly to comfort ourselves since we were not sure we'd ever get an adaptation. Now I realize that we were indeed onto something. It's likely that it's impossible to to fully adapt the LNs. That being said, there are ways in which the anime has screwed up that has made me feel like this adaptation would have fared better in other hands. I'm a biased fan of the LN but even I am not that far gone that I can't notice how crappy the first few volumes were, especially when compared to the current ones. However, if an adaptation has one job, it's to try and accentuate the good parts of the source material while minimizing any flaws... and so far this adaptation has failed in that regards. I can understand not being willing to risk the loss of the fans who are the ones who actually buy the products. It's an undisputable fact that the incest scenes are a big draw for some people. Not showing them at all would have been a mistake, I get that. What I don't understand is why the staff couldn't see how too much of something is bad. Yes, it's in the source material, as heavy-handed as it is. But there was no need to reduce Miyuki, and Tatsuya's for that matter, character to the absolute bare minimum. The incest bits only work because there's substance to the characters, imo, regardless of what people think about Miyuki even in the novels. I'm not ashamed to admit that Miyuki and Tatsuya are my favorite characters in the novels because I find their relationship deeply flawed and creepy and a bit off-putting. So far, the anime has succeeded only at the off-putting aspect and that's definitely not okay.

I wouldn''t be this pissed off if I could feel like some thought had been into it or if I could feel the love behind the production but still got the same product as we have. I would chalk it up to the novels not being conducive for the small screen. However, when I find myself noticing how I would have done it much better in their shoes, it makes me mad, considering I have not an ounce of experience in animation.

Long story short. Madhouse got its hands on the 3rd best selling light novel and figured there was no need to work so hard. With the sales of the source material, the anime would likely sell itself. Madhouse miscalculated and therefore, this is what we have on our hands now. I won't stop watching the anime, the scenes I most wanted to see (the magic scenes) have been animated beautifully so far but my expectations and anticipation have definitely plummeted.
Jun 5, 2014 11:41 PM
Apr 2014
Like what others have said, what is done is done there's nothing you could do about it. Instead of complaining about what could of been I'm just gonna enjoy what's given to us. Though it could of been better utilized, it's still enjoyable as a anime and I can't wait for the 9 school competition. I mean look at Black Bullet which they clearly rushed by skipping a lot of scenes. And there's Mekakucity Actors done by Shaft who clearly went by style over substance. Both these anime could of been adapted better and they made me a bit disappointed, but I have to get over it and understand some things aren't meant to be. And that LN adaptions are really hard to adapt and in some cases aren't the best. In the end though I still highly enjoy these Anime's for what they are and not overly complain because what's the point. As long as I enjoy them and feel that they are good for me I don't care what other people think.
Jun 6, 2014 12:14 AM

Apr 2012
millie10468 said:
I would really love to think we LN readers set too high a bar for the adaptation. I mean, way before it was even decided that there was going to be an anime, we discussed how difficult it would be to translate the information in the novels to the small screen. I realized, at the time, that it was mostly to comfort ourselves since we were not sure we'd ever get an adaptation. Now I realize that we were indeed onto something. It's likely that it's impossible to to fully adapt the LNs. That being said, there are ways in which the anime has screwed up that has made me feel like this adaptation would have fared better in other hands. I'm a biased fan of the LN but even I am not that far gone that I can't notice how crappy the first few volumes were, especially when compared to the current ones. However, if an adaptation has one job, it's to try and accentuate the good parts of the source material while minimizing any flaws... and so far this adaptation has failed in that regards. I can understand not being willing to risk the loss of the fans who are the ones who actually buy the products. It's an undisputable fact that the incest scenes are a big draw for some people. Not showing them at all would have been a mistake, I get that. What I don't understand is why the staff couldn't see how too much of something is bad. Yes, it's in the source material, as heavy-handed as it is. But there was no need to reduce Miyuki, and Tatsuya's for that matter, character to the absolute bare minimum. The incest bits only work because there's substance to the characters, imo, regardless of what people think about Miyuki even in the novels. I'm not ashamed to admit that Miyuki and Tatsuya are my favorite characters in the novels because I find their relationship deeply flawed and creepy and a bit off-putting. So far, the anime has succeeded only at the off-putting aspect and that's definitely not okay.

I wouldn''t be this pissed off if I could feel like some thought had been into it or if I could feel the love behind the production but still got the same product as we have. I would chalk it up to the novels not being conducive for the small screen. However, when I find myself noticing how I would have done it much better in their shoes, it makes me mad, considering I have not an ounce of experience in animation.

Long story short. Madhouse got its hands on the 3rd best selling light novel and figured there was no need to work so hard. With the sales of the source material, the anime would likely sell itself. Madhouse miscalculated and therefore, this is what we have on our hands now. I won't stop watching the anime, the scenes I most wanted to see (the magic scenes) have been animated beautifully so far but my expectations and anticipation have definitely plummeted.
True. True. and True.

How do you know Madhouse miscalculated? I think they will still get a big sales out of this. Also, they are focussing more on No Game No Life this season probably, as that is definitely the most successful anime this season.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 6, 2014 12:27 AM

Oct 2013
Pain_is_love said:
snip

True. True. and True.

How do you know Madhouse miscalculated? I think they will still get a big sales out of this. Also, they are focussing more on No Game No Life this season probably, as that is definitely the most successful anime this season.

I admit that line might have been premature. If BD sales predictions are to be believed, Mahouka seems to be doing quite alright http://rederoin.motionsforum.com/t240-estimates-v4, nothing fancy or as extraordinary as some people claim it was predicted to do. I can understand why they'd have such high expectations but this is just one of the cases in which LN sales might not translate into anime sales.
Jun 6, 2014 7:43 AM

May 2014
Pain_is_love said:
]True. True. and True.

I'm not sure about NGNL being the most successful this season,as various popularity polls in Japan I've seen,Mahouka bested NGNL everytime,as for sales Mahouka will sell maybe not SAO numbers but probably more than most new anime this season.

Comparison to NGNL,Madhouse actually have to work hard on that series because it's LN wasn't really that popular,with Mahouka they probably expected automatic sales numbers because of the popularity of the LN's.

All in all I just like to see some of my favorite LN characters come alive.

Anyone here watched and got disappointed/hated Tokyo Ravens?You'll probably just get more disappointed with this series as it is more slower paced,but since TR is also a fave series,I'm enjoying this adaption of Mahouka.

The only thing I'm peeved at the anime is cutting out most of Tatsuya and Miyuki's internal monolgues making them more into creepy incest siblings and isn't as funny as in the LN's as well as cutting out Honoka and Shizuku's scene at the start of vol 3 (ep 8).That was important in my opinion
[spoiler] it showed blooms and weeds interacting,and seems to be friends,they were with Erika,Leo and Mizuki waiting for Tatsuya to come out of the faculty room,as he was being questioned if he was tanking his practical scores).In the LN they were getting stares from different students that walked by because it was strange that course 1 and course 2 students was getting along that well.
Jun 6, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2008
In a way, this adaptation is a success in that it makes it clearly evident that the source material is (most likely) quite good and just difficult to adapt. SAO, on the other hand, didn't necessarily give you that impression from watching it. I never read the Mahouka LNs before looking at the anime. The juxtaposition of the interesting concepts behind the "magic" and solid world-building against the cringe-worthy info dumps made me realize that it was most likely just the difficulty in adapting it that made the show suffer. Now I have a new LN I love, and that's more than I get out of a lot of anime series. If it helps you find anything that is enjoyable, at least it accomplished something.
Jun 7, 2014 6:37 PM

Dec 2011
It is always going to be difficult to adapt Mahouka into animation, because as said many times by others in this forum, the series contain a lot of information and explanation.
Considering that in mind, I'm quite happy with the adaptation so far, even though I know some parts could be done better (the internal monologues, for example).

By the way, talking about an adaptation from a book that I liked, I really disliked the movie adaptation of World War Z. It really just a movie with the same title as the book, the similarities mostly ended there. Thankfully it was a movie not a TV series or something like that.
Jun 8, 2014 4:17 AM

Apr 2009
Actually, I read both the first volume of SAO and Mahouka and while I agree that a lot of the details are not present in the adaption the core problems remain: The weak plot and characters.
Both series are flawed in their core principles. That is - for example - a certain right-wing and nationalconservative morality and ideology the author wants to convey in Mahouka, a clear focus on being a male teenager power fantasy by utilizing a Gary stu as the main character, etc.
Sure, the quality might be better but certain core flaws will always remain because that is just the way these stories were written. Not that you can't enjoy, liek or love such a story - it is just that "better" doesn't necessary mean "good".
NidhoeggrJun 8, 2014 4:23 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 8, 2014 8:04 AM

May 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
Actually, I read both the first volume of SAO and Mahouka and while I agree that a lot of the details are not present in the adaption the core problems remain: The weak plot and characters.
Both series are flawed in their core principles. That is - for example - a certain right-wing and nationalconservative morality and ideology the author wants to convey in Mahouka, a clear focus on being a male teenager power fantasy by utilizing a Gary stu as the main character, etc.
Sure, the quality might be better but certain core flaws will always remain because that is just the way these stories were written. Not that you can't enjoy, liek or love such a story - it is just that "better" doesn't necessary mean "good".

Mahouka improved by vol 3 and SAO with the Phantom bullet arc btw.Light Novels are written for teens (middle schoolers-early college students),it's like complaining that Harry Potter was written for kids.
Jun 8, 2014 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
Harry Potter's first three volumes are way better than all of this LN junk... do not compare them to this, it is insulting.
Jun 8, 2014 9:06 AM

May 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
Harry Potter's first three volumes are way better than all of this LN junk... do not compare them to this, it is insulting.

Then why bother still reading some of them???Kinda insulting calling all ln's junk you know.And you seem to hate ln's why are you also bothering to watch anime based on ln's?So you can keep on bitching/trolling??
Jun 8, 2014 9:18 AM
Aug 2012
@darkreaperix: Just a friendly warning..........don't bother arguing with Nidhogger. He has an extreme prejudice against any type of LNs and he is famous for his trolling. Pretend that he is not even there.

Jun 8, 2014 9:20 AM

Jan 2013
Ah man, the sweet smell of me being right.
Jun 8, 2014 9:20 AM

Apr 2009
darkreaperix said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Then why bother still reading some of them???Kinda insulting calling all ln's junk you know.And you seem to hate ln's why are you also bothering to watch anime based on ln's?So you can keep on bitching/trolling??

Because I always try out anything before dismissing it.

Also, I like good LNs. Baccano, Uchouten Kazoku, Jinrui, etc. are all very well written. Sadly, they are only exceptions in an industry that favours adaptions of series that seem to insult intelligence rather than challenging it.
Jun 8, 2014 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
darkreaperix said:

Because I always try out anything before dismissing it.

Also, I like good LNs. Baccano, Uchouten Kazoku, Jinrui, etc. are all very well written. Sadly, they are only exceptions in an industry that favours adaptions of series that seem to insult intelligence rather than challenging it.

You aren't intelligent man.

You are just an average guy who thinks insulting things implies objectivity.
Jun 8, 2014 9:42 AM
Oct 2012
SolviteSekai said:
You are just an average guy who thinks insulting things implies objectivity.

Correct, it isn't objective to say that Harry Potter is better than Mahouka, it is being able to succinctly articulate why it is better in order to demonstrate potential objectivity.

Anyone can parrot likes and dislikes, or to state generalizations about why they like or don't like something, but merely doing that does not show either intelligence, taste, or objectivity.
Jun 8, 2014 6:54 PM
Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

But this got me thinking about when people give up hope on something they really wanted to succeed. Think "Return of the Jedi" for the Star Wars series (or "Phantom Menace" for others).

Now, for those who like the adaption, please don't take this as a slight, people's tastes differ. But there have been enough LN Readers who have expressed disappointment that I would like to hear their opinions on the general topic.

i do want this series to success, however i always know that this novel can't be turned into an anime.
it's very very difficult to make an anime from source like this.

even though i like the novel, even though i know madhouse already did a good job.
but i still don't like the anime.

the anime is slow and difficult info dump is annoying. i admit it.
i'm novel reader anyway.
Jun 8, 2014 9:38 PM

Sep 2013
Seeing all the hype about the LNs, I tried reading the first five volumes on BakaTsuki, and I honestly don't know where all the LN praise is coming from. Except for an excess of pseudo science and info dump, the novels doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking or even better than the adaptation. Its still self-insert genius mc who has more secret identities than Kirito has girls. Like someone said before, the core flaws are present in the very premise of the show, regardless of how much better the LNs maybe(I don't see how the LNs are better, but whatever), the major gripes I have with the anime are very much present in the first 5 volumes of Ln too, and much more pseudo science babble.

Should I drop or is the reason for hype yet to come?
DeigerJun 8, 2014 9:45 PM
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Jun 9, 2014 12:24 AM

Jul 2013
Deiger1111 said:
Seeing all the hype about the LNs, I tried reading the first five volumes on BakaTsuki, and I honestly don't know where all the LN praise is coming from. Except for an excess of pseudo science and info dump, the novels doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking or even better than the adaptation. Its still self-insert genius mc who has more secret identities than Kirito has girls. Like someone said before, the core flaws are present in the very premise of the show, regardless of how much better the LNs maybe(I don't see how the LNs are better, but whatever), the major gripes I have with the anime are very much present in the first 5 volumes of Ln too, and much more pseudo science babble.

Should I drop or is the reason for hype yet to come?

Drop it, based on your problem above, it's safe to assume that the series is just not up to your taste.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.