Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 7, 2014 2:12 AM

Nov 2012
LOL @ Midorikawa telling Izana that she is the only one that can tell him to stop... AS A MAN.
Jun 7, 2014 3:27 AM

Dec 2013
SleepingEntity said:
See? A much better, more human Kunato appears! Now why couldn't he be more like that from the beginning?

This show is a bit too slow paced, especially given it's only 13 episodes. It feels more sci-fi mystery than action if anything. I'm also not really getting a sense of "desperation and despair" from Sidonia, seeing as how they're letting people settle on planets and so forth. Hopefully when (if?) they reach the hive, things will start picking up.

Say what? a more human Kunato? Where? Where? I don't see any... must be your imagination....

All i see is a broken man who decided to take a leave of absence so his stock doesn't plummet any further within the Cadet Corps. Haunted by nightmares that he himself is responsible for doesn't make him any more human than when he told Tanikaze via private channel to fuck up that Gauna mission and got Hoshijirou killed.

Kuro_Yuuki said:
Kondo-Isao said:
As soon as Tanikaze was asked if he wanted to unwind, I instantly thought "do not go to the fucking bathysphere".

lol yeah, no kidding. That thing seems like it's cursed at this point. Any of the couples or potential couples that have been in it before a battle so far have been torn apart.

I third that opinion. The bathysphere should be where they send convicts and people on death row. XD

Midorikawa making for a decent rival for Izana, its a shame both are being trumped by Benisuzume.... A healthy dose of curiosity is useful in its own way, but I sure as hell hope Tanikaze doesn't get so obsessed with thinking the Benisuzume is actually Hoshijirou that he tries to break it out of it's confinement.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next episode!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 7, 2014 3:54 AM

Jun 2012
So it really is the kabizashi.
Jun 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Jul 2007
L-Ryoshi said:
SleepingEntity said:
See? A much better, more human Kunato appears! Now why couldn't he be more like that from the beginning?

This show is a bit too slow paced, especially given it's only 13 episodes. It feels more sci-fi mystery than action if anything. I'm also not really getting a sense of "desperation and despair" from Sidonia, seeing as how they're letting people settle on planets and so forth. Hopefully when (if?) they reach the hive, things will start picking up.

Say what? a more human Kunato? Where? Where? I don't see any... must be your imagination....

All i see is a broken man who decided to take a leave of absence so his stock doesn't plummet any further within the Cadet Corps. Haunted by nightmares that he himself is responsible for doesn't make him any more human than when he told Tanikaze via private channel to fuck up that Gauna mission and got Hoshijirou killed.

Oh look a otaku weebo waifu defense force has arrived!~

And now apparently displaying human emotions and regret over your actions does not make you more human~

You learn new things on MAL every day.
Jun 7, 2014 5:11 AM

Sep 2008
1. Tanikaze is a hero again. Well deserved. I don't see how it makes sense to put him as squad leader when that ex-XO would be more experienced, but that's minor complain.

2. Gauna fights are now being skipped. Again, not something I mind. This fights were, after all, just to progress the story and had no impact.

3. Kunato has more human reactions. Always a great thing to see. After all, antagonists (even though he's not really one) are always best when they're not there merely to be evil but have feelings as well.

4. My theory that Gauna communicate telepathically seems to be correct OR the theory from those people who want to leave Sidonia that Gauna are attracted to Wabizashi (spelling) is correct.

I am not excluding that both my theory and theory from people leaving Sidonia are correct.

Now what I am wondering at the moment is whether Hoshijiro (gauna) wants to draw Tanikaze close to kill him, interact with him or learn from him.
Her pointing finger was basically mimicking his actions.

If indeed Gauna are learning from humans and are trying to copy their actions, could that lead to possible "infiltrations"?
They are already able to copy human body to an extent, talk to an extent, if they learned how to act as humans what is to prevent them to sneak placenta while battle is going on.

I am probably over-thinking this last point but still. I am genuinely curious as to what happens next and which direction this show is taking.

Also, if it doesn't get 2nd season I'll probably crawl to a corner of my room and cry.
Jun 7, 2014 5:31 AM

Jun 2008
I actually really like Kunato as a character and don't want him to die. His death now would be... I don't know, cheap? I'd rather watch him try to cope with guilt and maybe grow a little.

Adult people behaving/thinking like toddlers always make me shudder, so I just can't find Placenta Hoshijiro cute. No wonder Izana and Yuhata are so worried about Tanikaze's state of mind. Don't be a creep, Tanikaze.
And I'm saying this as a firm Tanikaze/(alive) Hoshijiro supporter.

Ochiai, Kunato's sibling (an intersex maybe? Would be neat) and Samari's squad all seem interesting. I hope we'll see more of them in all the next seasons this anime deserves.

I'm still bothered by the timeline though. Shinatose Yure started experimenting with human photosynthesis 100 years ago, right? She was also the one who cloned Hiroki 86 years later. One would think she'd make Nagate able to photosynthesize too... Maybe there's a post-natal treatment required too, but it's been suggested photosynthesis is a genetic modification.
It'd probably bother me less if we didn't know the older pilots (Samari, Tsuruuchi) can photosynthesize too, which means it's not a recent development.
ReiteJun 7, 2014 5:41 AM
Jun 7, 2014 5:52 AM

Jul 2007
Reite said:
One would think she'd make Nagate able to photosynthesize too... Maybe there's a post-natal treatment required too, but it's been suggested photosynthesis is a genetic modification.

Not really since Nagate had to be identical to Hiro, otherwise what's the point.

nina4life said:
1. Tanikaze is a hero again. Well deserved. I don't see how it makes sense to put him as squad leader when that ex-XO would be more experienced, but that's minor complain.

Being promoted means you will be in more danger - its outright spelled out both last episode and this episode right after montage.

Its just another way that the Council is trying to "contain" the threat. Nagate being a team captain means he is under more pressure and in more danger. So he can both be more easily controlled AND has a higher chance of just dying.
Jun 7, 2014 6:02 AM

Apr 2012
lol it was a spy
Jun 7, 2014 6:05 AM

Jun 2008
Fai said:
Reite said:
One would think she'd make Nagate able to photosynthesize too... Maybe there's a post-natal treatment required too, but it's been suggested photosynthesis is a genetic modification.

Not really since Nagate had to be identical to Hiro, otherwise what's the point.
Well, they already modified him (he's genetically immortal - Hiro wasn't), and I doubt that ability to photosynthesize would drastically change his character or aptitude.
Jun 7, 2014 6:44 AM

Nov 2013
And what does " genetically immortal" mean? Can he die from hunger for example?;
Jun 7, 2014 6:45 AM

May 2011
I was pleased to see Kunato with his moment of suffering. :P And then there's that Ochiai who hardly seems to be a good person to be dealing with. I enjoy these series for the sense that sometimes the people that must be dealt with can be frightening in a different way from the monsters.
Jun 7, 2014 6:47 AM

Nov 2013
sadfacelv said:
And what does " genetically immortal" mean? Can he die from hunger for example?;

I would also like to know. Since people ignored my question last thread :|
Jun 7, 2014 6:59 AM

Aug 2012
Reite said:
Well, they already modified him (he's genetically immortal - Hiro wasn't), and I doubt that ability to photosynthesize would drastically change his character or aptitude.

He needs to consume a normal daily basis of food to be able to maintain his extended metabolism / fast healing ability.

sadfacelv said:
Can he die from hunger for example?;

Yes, he can die from hunger (or so it seems).
VeldarthJun 7, 2014 7:07 AM
Jun 7, 2014 7:31 AM

Jun 2008
Onuma said:
Reite said:

He needs to consume a normal daily basis of food to be able to maintain his extended metabolism / fast healing ability.

Well, I guess this makes sense. Thank you.
I asked because I thought that with Sidonia's attention for detail it was unlikely for this to be a simple mistake and there had to be a reason.
Jun 7, 2014 8:25 AM

Jun 2013
Do we know how many episodes this is? If it's 13, I don't know how in the hell it is going to possibly conclude in just 4 more episodes.

And no I haven't read the manga, but it just seems like we are only now starting to get into the plot for this season, and if the 13 episode count is correct, it's going to be either a huge cliffhanger or a terribly rushed unsatisfying ending.

Here's hoping for a season 2.
ex_necrossJun 7, 2014 8:33 AM
Jun 7, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
Kunato..a villain you love to hate and frustrates you because it seems like they let him be a villain with no repercussions.
Jun 7, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
It's been relaying information telepathically to other gauna this whole time.
Great episode as always
Jun 7, 2014 11:06 AM

Jul 2007
ex_necross said:
Do we know how many episodes this is? If it's 13, I don't know how in the hell it is going to possibly conclude in just 4 more episodes.

And no I haven't read the manga, but it just seems like we are only now starting to get into the plot for this season, and if the 13 episode count is correct, it's going to be either a huge cliffhanger or a terribly rushed unsatisfying ending.

Here's hoping for a season 2.

THere'sno way to conclude it.

At best it will reach Vol4 and we are now on Vol20+

Vooo said:
Kunato..a villain you love to hate and frustrates you because it seems like they let him be a villain with no repercussions.

Get your waifu otaku glasses off.

Guilt, apathy towards one's usual lifestyle and ptsd count as one hell of repercussions.
Jun 7, 2014 12:26 PM
Jun 2008
sadfacelv said:

Well if you take the medicine you dont age and you heal from wounds super fast including wounds that would kill you normally.

Obviously there are limits but it basically means under normal circumstances you wont age or die.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
Jun 7, 2014 1:00 PM

Oct 2009
Fai said:

Get your waifu otaku glasses off.

I think you need to take your husbando glasses off, seriously.
Jun 7, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
Hoshijiro tentacle version is ahead in Nagate harem! :O
Izana seemed pissed that Nagate seem to attract girls :P

So Tanikaze is making himself a name while Kunato slowly fall in madness. he he he, I like that

Now about the ending, what was it supposed to mean? That she's attracted to those thing or that she giving information to the other gauna pilots?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 7, 2014 2:52 PM

Aug 2013
The real question is, are the Gauna attracted to the Kabizashi in general, or do they simply view them as an existential threat which has to be dealt with if they want to snack on some juicy humans?
catullus said:
sadfacelv said:

Well if you take the medicine you dont age and you heal from wounds super fast including wounds that would kill you normally.

Obviously there are limits but it basically means under normal circumstances you wont age or die.

I'd bet that immortality involves stabilizing your telomeres so your stem cells can continue replenishing you endlessly, and an increased healing factor.
Jun 7, 2014 3:37 PM
Jan 2014
I thought it was quite and interesting episode with the introduction of this scientist "villain" and all. I am looking forward for more. :) I think this might even motivate me to read the manga. I have a weak point for evil scientists. xD
Oh and I have a bad feeling for the Kabizashis. Having Hoshijiro on Sidonia was maybe not such a good idea after all.
Jun 7, 2014 3:44 PM
Dec 2012
Interesting episode. Gauna-Hoshijiro's laughter still creeps me out.

God damn if Nagate is going to release that tentacle babe, I hope he's not that stupid though.
takayiJun 7, 2014 3:54 PM
ĺąľĺŤĺ…‰ĺą´ă®ĺ­¤ç‹¬
Jun 7, 2014 5:56 PM

Sep 2012
Man, those Gauna are really some sick creatures.
Jun 7, 2014 7:00 PM

Feb 2013
Gauna-Hoshijiro staring at the spears... It seems they are at least attracted to that material for some reason.

I'm a bit annoyed that they flashed through all those battles with just headlines.

takayi said:
God damn if Nagate is going to release that tentacle babe, I hope he's not that stupid though.
I'm wondering the same thing. She's like a child now, but if she can learn to communicate and reason... she could be a very useful source of information, or even an ally.
Jun 7, 2014 9:20 PM

Nov 2013
Aww, now I have to wait another week...
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
Jun 8, 2014 12:01 AM

Dec 2013
Fai said:
L-Ryoshi said:

And now apparently displaying human emotions and regret over your actions does not make you more human~

Oh look, a real life presumptuous asshole with no decent points nor redeeming qualities has appeared.

For the record, I don't even use weebo or whatever you crazy obsessive Chinese fans use. I just tell it like I see it. What emotion has he displayed besides absolute terror at having a Gauna resembling a victim of his come after him. Regret? Contrition? I think not. All he has done this far is become scared that someone or something will come wipe his sorry little arse off the face of Sidonia just because his selfish, destructive actions caused the demise of many many teammates. Does he have nightmares about any of the other cadets whose deaths he's caused? No, only Hoshijirou. Why? Simple, because he perceives the Gauna Hoshijirou as a very real threat to his existence.
Just because you feel fear makes you a human being now? Wow, where did that logic come from? I guess all animals that feel fear are also categorized as humans in your book then.

The man has not been remorseful in the least about what he's done. He took a leave of absence from the Cadet Corps or whatever the he'll they call it because he feared for his own life. If there wasn't the threat on his life by the very real presence of the Hoshijirou Gauna, you can bet your arse he would still be out there making Tanikaze's life a living hell. In the end he is just a selfish coward who turned tail at the very inkling of a perceived threat to his own well being. Displays of regret? Has he cried himself to sleep or even tried to make up for what he's done? I haven't seen any action of the sort thus far, and I'm pretty sure no one else watching the show has either (bar you of course, since you are arguing the point). To state otherwise is to ignore all the signs put out there by the anime.

As for the attitude you show here on the forums, just makes me think that you are a bully in real life, which is why you can sympathize so vehemently with Kunatos character, to the point of openly insulting the first commenter that disagrees with you.

I won't even bother talking with you from this post forward regarding Sidonia, because seriously it's no fun making intelligible discussions with a halfwit who gets riled up so easily to the point of insulting real people just because people don't like his favorite character. I tell things like I see them, and that's my opinion. So if you can't deal with anyone's opinion other than your own, well just suck it because that's life.

So good day and good riddance.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 8, 2014 4:03 AM

Oct 2013
tanikaze seems to be killin it on the gauna kills lately. but that placenta hoshijiro locked in on the kabizake (? i think) spears. redders
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 8, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
Hoshijiro placenta is somehow cute as hell.. maybe cuter than the real Hoshijiro lol

But damn.. didn't expect her to be some sort of surveillance camera.

Izana and Yuhata losing to a gauna meat must hit their pride a lot =p
Jun 8, 2014 12:42 PM
Jun 2010
L-Ryoshi: Things never are black or white, this includes all media (and characters within) that aren't straight out bad or meant for little children.

While your (or Fai's) interpretation might be correct, as of yet we don't have enough information to really know. Still, it doesn't seem to me that he is such a one-sided character you claim him to be. Nobody does "evil" or "bad" things for no reason and mustache twirling maniacal bad guys are totally trite.

It seems that meeting what Hoshijiro has become really shook Kunato, so much he couldn't go on. Even if it was simply out of fear for his own life (which I doubt), that itself makes him more human-like, and perhaps more relatable, as unsympathetic as he has been this far.

Also, answering a slightly insulting joke with a bunch of direct personal attacks isn't really in good taste. Nor is it going to win you any debates, if that is something you care about more than politeness.
Jun 8, 2014 2:02 PM

Jun 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Fai said:

Oh look, a real life presumptuous asshole with no decent points nor redeeming qualities has appeared.

For the record, I don't even use weebo or whatever you crazy obsessive Chinese fans use. I just tell it like I see it. What emotion has he displayed besides absolute terror at having a Gauna resembling a victim of his come after him. Regret? Contrition? I think not. All he has done this far is become scared that someone or something will come wipe his sorry little arse off the face of Sidonia just because his selfish, destructive actions caused the demise of many many teammates. Does he have nightmares about any of the other cadets whose deaths he's caused? No, only Hoshijirou. Why? Simple, because he perceives the Gauna Hoshijirou as a very real threat to his existence.
Just because you feel fear makes you a human being now? Wow, where did that logic come from? I guess all animals that feel fear are also categorized as humans in your book then.

The man has not been remorseful in the least about what he's done. He took a leave of absence from the Cadet Corps or whatever the he'll they call it because he feared for his own life. If there wasn't the threat on his life by the very real presence of the Hoshijirou Gauna, you can bet your arse he would still be out there making Tanikaze's life a living hell. In the end he is just a selfish coward who turned tail at the very inkling of a perceived threat to his own well being. Displays of regret? Has he cried himself to sleep or even tried to make up for what he's done? I haven't seen any action of the sort thus far, and I'm pretty sure no one else watching the show has either (bar you of course, since you are arguing the point). To state otherwise is to ignore all the signs put out there by the anime.

As for the attitude you show here on the forums, just makes me think that you are a bully in real life, which is why you can sympathize so vehemently with Kunatos character, to the point of openly insulting the first commenter that disagrees with you.

I won't even bother talking with you from this post forward regarding Sidonia, because seriously it's no fun making intelligible discussions with a halfwit who gets riled up so easily to the point of insulting real people just because people don't like his favorite character. I tell things like I see them, and that's my opinion. So if you can't deal with anyone's opinion other than your own, well just suck it because that's life.

So good day and good riddance.

I just love when people start off calling someone an asshole... by being an asshole. xD
Jun 8, 2014 5:43 PM

Dec 2013
ex_necross said:

-snip-
I just love when people start off calling someone an asshole... by being an asshole. xD

At least I started my initial post with points, and backed up my posts with points, which is much more than I could say for someone who's only comment was about some bullshit weebo otaku waifu, which by the way made absolutely no sense.

In any case, if you feel the need to attempt a snide comment, I suggest you go through all the posts here to read up exactly what the entire conversation was all about first. Otherwise even your snide little comment just makes you look like a shallow one-post reader.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 8, 2014 5:53 PM

Dec 2013
Magebane said:
L-Ryoshi: Things never are black or white, this includes all media (and characters within) that aren't straight out bad or meant for little children.

While your (or Fai's) interpretation might be correct, as of yet we don't have enough information to really know. Still, it doesn't seem to me that he is such a one-sided character you claim him to be. Nobody does "evil" or "bad" things for no reason and mustache twirling maniacal bad guys are totally trite.

It seems that meeting what Hoshijiro has become really shook Kunato, so much he couldn't go on. Even if it was simply out of fear for his own life (which I doubt), that itself makes him more human-like, and perhaps more relatable, as unsympathetic as he has been this far.

Also, answering a slightly insulting joke with a bunch of direct personal attacks isn't really in good taste. Nor is it going to win you any debates, if that is something you care about more than politeness.

In response to your speculation. I too do not view each character with an absolute setting. I do believe that there are characters who are complex, and who may be sitting on the fence between good and bad. HOWEVER, as you yourself have mentioned, thus far in the anime, regardless of Kunato's back story, there have been no indications that the actions Kunato has taken, which this Fai character is defending and rationalizing, have been done out of anything other than purely evil intentions to hurt and defame Tanikaze for his own selfish desires. I have set up my points and made my list of arguments according to what has transpired thus far in the Anime. I base my comments on what I have see and what I have not seen. Have I seen Kunato be a sorry, selfish arse who's sole purpose in this anime is to inspire hatred from fans? Yes I have.
Has there been any evidence that points to the contrary and that he is more than a one-dimensional character, as you so put forth? I have yet to see any.
For reasons, read my previous post

The fact that on initially airing my own opinion, I get insulted for no reason other than not having the "correct" outlook on the series because it does not coincide with this Fai character's views, is beyond my control.

I took offence with a silly character on the thread who has constantly, since the first few episodes, been directing these so called "insulting jokes" at people who didn't see things his way. After several weeks of such idiotic ramblings, I no longer feel the things he says are valid, nor are spoken in a "slightly insulting joke" manner.
I take offense at the nonsense he initially spewed at my first post, which I find already in extremely poor taste. I find nothing wrong with retaliating IN KIND. Seriously dude, you have no reason to butt in anyway. If this Fai character can't fend for himself because he cannot beat my points, then why bother starting a fight by trying to rile up others in the first place.
Like they say: Don't dish it if you can't take it.

L-RyoshiJun 8, 2014 6:59 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 8, 2014 6:06 PM

Jun 2008
Okay, an unrelated question: has this one blond feminine-looking person from Samari's squad (on the right in the last group photo, in front of Honoka) any significance in the manga?
I'm asking because their body model seems to be the same as Izana's, so they can be another third-gender person (since all the females appear to have one body model).
Izana said the third-gender is not an uncommon occurence, and yet the vendor in the previous episode was surprised at them not being a girl. And in the background shots there are no intersex people. I wonder if it's an oversight on the animators' part. Like in Attack on Titan, where all the filler soldiers were male, since someone apparently forgot there was another option in the AoT military.
Jun 8, 2014 7:56 PM

Oct 2010
I get the feeling they just skipped a whole bunch of stuff from the manga, am I right?
Jun 8, 2014 8:07 PM

Jun 2013
SimmianPrime said:
I get the feeling they just skipped a whole bunch of stuff from the manga, am I right?

I've heard to the contrary.
Jun 9, 2014 1:56 AM

Jul 2007
SimmianPrime said:

In previous episodes? Yes.
Jun 9, 2014 3:13 AM

Feb 2013
That bit at the ending kinda creeped me out. I really like where the story is headed. The show would be a solid 9 if tanikaze didn't flinch at everything and those two girls weren't trying to get the D. As friends, sure get him to hang out and distract him once in a while. But it's clear they have other selfish intentions and if I were him I'd be pissed at how pushy they can be.

Marzan said:
Was I the only one who loved the montage scene when Tanikaze was made squad leader? It had a delightful mix of action and tongue in cheek in humor while showing Tanikaze's unhealthy interest in Benisuzume. The music they used was killer too.

Yea that part was funny
ZobaJun 9, 2014 3:18 AM
Jun 9, 2014 3:29 AM

Sep 2012
Well, my post seemed to have incited a bit of flaming, I see.

To clarify, my mention of "human" Kunato had absolutely nothing to do with his possible regret or moping. I couldn't care less. I was referring to the part when he was looking at Ochiai and thinking. For once, Kunate's character could not be described by "I hate Tanikaze and want to screw him up, even at the cost of Sidonia". That's clearly character progression for me. Not much, mind you, but when you're starting from the bottom of the barrel, anything is an improvement.

In any case, I hope he continues to show that he can actually think beyond the scope of a typical manga-villain. If his plans involving Ochiai are just more revenge and one-upping everyone, that will certainly be a step backwards.

I want to see Kunato develop into a respectable character (from an audience POV). That doesn't mean he has to be good, or make up and buddy-buddy with everyone. They can hate him and he can hate them for all I care. But he needs more depth. Not just "I really hate everyone so I'm going to screw them over". The best stories are where a viewer can have a reason to like any character, even the "bad" ones like Kunato (Take Fate/Zero: some of the characters were assholes. But there's no character where I'd be taken aback if you told me they were your favourite and most interesting - now that's good characterisation).
Jun 9, 2014 9:21 AM

Aug 2012
Reite said:
Okay, an unrelated question: has this one blond feminine-looking person from Samari's squad (on the right in the last group photo, in front of Honoka) any significance in the manga?

No.

Reite said:
I'm asking because their body model seems to be the same as Izana's, so they can be another third-gender person (since all the females appear to have one body model).

It is a possibility.

Reite said:
Izana said the third-gender is not an uncommon occurence, and yet the vendor in the previous episode was surprised at them not being a girl. And in the background shots there are no intersex people.

When Izana said that? I don't remember her saying that the third gender is a common occurrence among the inhabitants. Actually it's the opposite. You can tell this by the lack of third genders in the background. Also, the vendor's reaction may suggest that Izana is becoming more feminine due to her interaction with Nagate.
Jun 9, 2014 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The life of daily flows almost without any incident worthy of note in this episode.
Plot stingy with details, what happens on Sidonia? Those who wanted to flee are gone? Narrative that leaves hesitant and curious towards the end.
The Shizuka cloned, it is only a mere copy oppura over to check out what the feelings?
From what we have seen seems not. It looks more like a trap to infiltrate Gauna of Sidonia to destroy the boats.
Beautiful episode, for some interesting revelations, even if the narrative progresses without any jolt.
The match about who should win the heart of Tanikaze is still open.
Funny the part where Izana, is compared to a man, by Midorikawa!
Jun 10, 2014 1:04 AM

Dec 2013
SleepingEntity said:
Well, my post seemed to have incited a bit of flaming, I see.

To clarify, my mention of "human" Kunato had absolutely nothing to do with his possible regret or moping. I couldn't care less. I was referring to the part when he was looking at Ochiai and thinking. For once, Kunate's character could not be described by "I hate Tanikaze and want to screw him up, even at the cost of Sidonia". That's clearly character progression for me. Not much, mind you, but when you're starting from the bottom of the barrel, anything is an improvement.

In any case, I hope he continues to show that he can actually think beyond the scope of a typical manga-villain. If his plans involving Ochiai are just more revenge and one-upping everyone, that will certainly be a step backwards.

I want to see Kunato develop into a respectable character (from an audience POV). That doesn't mean he has to be good, or make up and buddy-buddy with everyone. They can hate him and he can hate them for all I care. But he needs more depth. Not just "I really hate everyone so I'm going to screw them over". The best stories are where a viewer can have a reason to like any character, even the "bad" ones like Kunato (Take Fate/Zero: some of the characters were assholes. But there's no character where I'd be taken aback if you told me they were your favourite and most interesting - now that's good characterisation).

You're both right and wrong. The flame-inciting wasn't really about you nor your post. It mostly had to do with what happened afterwards, and in no part was your fault.
You are posting valid points in support of what you believe in, and I respect that. What I do not respect are people who come out of nowhere and openly insult others with no reason for the sake of seemingly making themselves look "cool" on the forums. Given that it has occurred with the same individual on more than one occasion and on a near weekly basis, I do not believe, nor consider, it to be just a "slightly insulting joke" as someone mentioned. I doubt anyone could fault me for retaliating in kind.

On what you said though. Most of the points mentioned are based on what you wish to happen with the character. I agree that Kunato is a character who needs more depth than the current "rival of the MC who does bad things" tag. Whether we shall see this development of his character will depend largely on how they present the rest of his story, as well as whatever actions he takes with his suddenly-acquired knowledge of Ochiai. On that note, since we are largely following an already written out plot line, we shall have to wait and see how the director chooses to adapt the rest of the story to reflect his character.

Currently on the basis of what HAS been animated, however, I still stand by my opinion.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 11, 2014 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
Shit fucking hell GOOD EPISODE I WANT PLACENTA HOSHIJIRO x NAGATE (yeah no unicode so fuck this shit, no HOSHIJIRO×NAGATE)

Shit reminds me of Saya no Uta even though I never played it (lel).

Shit. I was so confused about everything until I decided to browse through ep1 again and saw that Nagate's scores in that simulation shit was full of 9s. More 9999 than Disgaea's 9999 shite. Now I know why he is that good. Fucking hell how could I have forgotten. And Kunato and Hoshijiro were together (not sure what their relation with each other was). Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

The Izana faces.

The captaincy[?] of Nagate.

The pictures of the squad after every victory.

The nearing of Nagate to placenta Hoshijiro.

The focus of the show being geared toward placenta Hoshijiro more than to any of the haremmates.

The obvious feelings of Nagate toward anything Hoshijiro.

The gathering of data on the gauna from observing placenta Hoshijiro.

But most of all, the end that was so fucking slexful. It was full of shex. Like Chex.
The reason why the Gauna approach Sidonia is because of the fucking Kabizashis.

My god

NEXT EPISODE NOW
Jun 12, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
Holy shit, so I guess the spears' material is somehow related to the Gauna, that's why they follow Sidonia (?)
Jun 12, 2014 8:12 PM
May 2014
Reite said:
Izana said the third-gender is not an uncommon occurence, and yet the vendor in the previous episode was surprised at them not being a girl. And in the background shots there are no intersex people. I wonder if it's an oversight on the animators' part. Like in Attack on Titan, where all the filler soldiers were male, since someone apparently forgot there was another option in the AoT military.

The same character seems to appear in the background of episode 6 at 12:10. Said character does indeed wear similar clothing to Izana. +1 for third genders.
Jun 12, 2014 11:55 PM

Dec 2011
Izana's grandmother came up with the plan to have humans photosynthesize.

Another girl that jumps straight on Nagate huh lol.

Damn... a Gauna clone of Hoshijiro...

Nagate's fame is really rising as he's squad leader and MVP in their battles against the Gauna lol.

Kunato is still having nightmares and suffering it seems, you deserve it you bastard.

Nagate really is obsessed with that Gauna clone of Hoshijiro and it seems that the clone itself is always looking in the direction of the kabizashi.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jun 13, 2014 8:51 AM

Oct 2009
Gauna Hoshijiro is cute :D
Jun 13, 2014 11:18 AM

Feb 2013
That was the best tripping scene in the history of anime.

Also, nagate watching hoshijiro placenta thing reminds me of shinji and rei.
Jun 14, 2014 12:47 PM

Jul 2012
I love this show. Just sayin'

That part at the end....!!!

Gonna start downloading this show so I can rewatch it in the future.

ataxia_ said:
Also, nagate watching hoshijiro placenta thing reminds me of shinji and rei.

This show is pretty much like Eva but with amazing animation and less Shiniji-emo moments (nothing against Shinji but it's really hard watching 2d characters mourning half of the time...)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

266 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 10:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.