Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2014 10:42 PM

Sep 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well at least William was sane enough to save his sister.

Such a horrible way to say goodbye :(

In the end they kept it a secret.

Barsac adopted Jeanne :)

Marcenay married Camille ;) The ship has sailed!

In the end she flew :D

What a fabulous ending!
Oct 28, 2016 5:57 AM

Nov 2015
What an emotional ending. Marcenay and Camille, what an awesome couple. Wished she had more screen time though. A great series!
Mar 12, 2021 1:05 PM

Aug 2018
Great ending! it honestly made me tear up a little. Overall this show was unexpectedly good. Even though it was not without its share of flaws (mainly the repetitive soundtrack and predictable story) the positive outweighs the negative. I rate it 9/10.

Anyone who likes this should also check out Future Boy Conan.
Apr 15, 2021 8:30 AM
Dec 2019
epidemia78 said:
Great ending! it honestly made me tear up a little. Overall this show was unexpectedly good. Even though it was not without its share of flaws (mainly the repetitive soundtrack and predictable story) the positive outweighs the negative. I rate it 9/10.

What was predictable and cliche about it?
Apr 15, 2021 2:57 PM

Aug 2018
Recynon said:
epidemia78 said:

What was predictable and cliche about it?

Was anyone surprised that William turned out to be the bad guy? All of the bad guys were obvious because of the way they look. Also, the outcome of all of the little mini-stories along the way. When the lady on the train coughed, I knew she was going to become ill and Jane was going to help save her.
Apr 15, 2021 3:11 PM
Dec 2019
epidemia78 said:

Was anyone surprised that William turned out to be the bad guy? All of the bad guys were obvious because of the way they look. Also, the outcome of all of the little mini-stories along the way. When the lady on the train coughed, I knew she was going to become ill and Jane was going to help save her.

No and I don't think that was ever intended to be a twist or shocking reveal. They intended for the viewer to know that it was him from the get go. The same goes for the bad guys being obvious. Both of these serve to create dramatic irony because the audience knows something the characters don't and are waiting for the characters to find out lest they get hurt. I can't say much for all the mini stories but if you mean that things will turn out for the better and the characters have plot armor that didn't interfere with my engagement. One of the reasons is that part of my engagement was watching how Jane reacted to situations in a clever way or something that showed her compassion. The lady on the train episode was significant primarily because it showcased where Jane got her sympathy from--- she is kind towards people because she knows what it's like to lose a life dear to her.
May 27, 2021 5:16 PM

Mar 2016
It's like the inverse of Nadia in that it's actually good: drain the ocean and put the characters on the sandy bottom. A very modern story (like the desert of an post-eco-collapsed earth) that actually has something to say about the technology that drives it. There's a falling from prestige and comfort into despair and peril when mechanization begins...Neo City is itself a machine that only exists to create more machines by using people as parts to make a larger system, in the same way an army is a machine, or a country. And maybe that's why one of the few major problems I had with the series was how Barsac and co. were portrayed as pretty much the good guys, even though as an arm of a colonial power they would just as quickly execute a deserter for the good of the system as Neo City would. But in the end, the moral of the story is rather simple: good or bad lies in the compassion (or lack thereof) of the person wielding the tool. Of course it is black and white, it is a kid's show. And as show for kids (or families), rather than being bogged down by stuffy old-school anime baggage (it's not 70s in the 90s anymore) it's an adventure that is appropriate for its time. Great characters, real emotion, and lots of fun and variety.

However, the episodes in Neo City did get a bit tiresome near the end. It became a loop of capture and escape. And the big reveal to Jane that Harry is actually William was rather unremarkable and a tad disappointing. Also, the destruction of Neo City left a bad taste in my mouth. Not just because of William's derangement and cruelty but because it felt like the show had set it up as karmic retribution for the workers and the greedy citizens. Put it in William's hands, and not George's, that way they don't look bad when doing what's necessary. Feels shitty. Juxtapose this black and white perspective with the rather sophisticated, and emotional, introduction. Because of this William's insanity felt a bit like a cop-out.

Jane finally going up into the sky of her home, and seeing most of her family there, still got to me though.
May 28, 2021 9:53 AM
Dec 2019
syncrogazer said:
It's like the inverse of Nadia in that it's actually good: drain the ocean and put the characters on the sandy bottom. A very modern story (like the desert of an post-eco-collapsed earth) that actually has something to say about the technology that drives it. There's a falling from prestige and comfort into despair and peril when mechanization begins...Neo City is itself a machine that only exists to create more machines by using people as parts to make a larger system, in the same way an army is a machine, or a country. And maybe that's why one of the few major problems I had with the series was how Barsac and co. were portrayed as pretty much the good guys, even though as an arm of a colonial power they would just as quickly execute a deserter for the good of the system as Neo City would. But in the end, the moral of the story is rather simple: good or bad lies in the compassion (or lack thereof) of the person wielding the tool. Of course it is black and white, it is a kid's show. And as show for kids (or families), rather than being bogged down by stuffy old-school anime baggage (it's not 70s in the 90s anymore) it's an adventure that is appropriate for its time. Great characters, real emotion, and lots of fun and variety.

However, the episodes in Neo City did get a bit tiresome near the end. It became a loop of capture and escape. And the big reveal to Jane that Harry is actually William was rather unremarkable and a tad disappointing. Also, the destruction of Neo City left a bad taste in my mouth. Not just because of William's derangement and cruelty but because it felt like the show had set it up as karmic retribution for the workers and the greedy citizens. Put it in William's hands, and not George's, that way they don't look bad when doing what's necessary. Feels shitty. Juxtapose this black and white perspective with the rather sophisticated, and emotional, introduction. Because of this William's insanity felt a bit like a cop-out.

Jane finally going up into the sky of her home, and seeing most of her family there, still got to me though.

Glad to hear you liked the series man. Interesting thoughts, especially since we seemed to have looked at the themes under different lenses. I thought the whole Neo City thing was more about the dangers of the idea of an ideal utopia than on the dangers of mechanization/authoritarianism. In order to create such a perfect world, there was no way that sacrifices didn't have to be made by other people, similar to the philosopher's stone thing in FMA.

While Barsac and co. were portrayed as the good guys, I don't think the series was portraying the colonial powers as good guys. Sure, given the time period they had to function within antiquated disciplinary rules but if the point was that the caliber of the person in the role or using the weapon was more important, then I think that was conveyed well; Barsac went out of his way to trust and help Jane, forgave the deserters, and ultimately chose to keep the blue sand a secret precisely because he feared the powers that be would abuse it. Under a different captain the group of soldiers may very well have been villainous colonists operating as the arm of the colonial powers.

I agree that the Neo City arc got a bit repetitive and they broke out of prison way too many times. You'd think they beef up the security.

Harry's derangement was a bit over the top, no denying that. At the same time it was not a total disconnect from his emotions in the beginning because his trauma made him extremely power hungry and controlling, and the weapon of mass destruction gave him control. Part of the derangement was to give poetic justice to the greedy citizens, but the other part was to ramp up the stakes for the climatic finale--- it wouldn't have been as dramatic if the finale was just him flying away on his ship. Another part of it was to allow him to make the self sacrifice at the end when he has a moment of clarity in the midst of his power hungry derangement, so I wouldn't say that it was JUST to kill those greedy people and that it lacked emotional sophistication. Like, I'm not sure about the show taking a black and white perspective on the issue, given the amount of times it forgives people for doing bad things and doesn't order harsh retribution for them. On a storytelling level, it's more satisfying to the audience to see the greedy citizens die and I think the show goes for that, but I don't think its mindset is that the people should be dealt with in that way, if that makes any sense. In other words, what we might loosely called karmic retribution--- their bad actions led to bad consequences--- isn't the same as saying that the right thing to do is to kill them all. It's clearly wrong, so I think they were going for irony more than justice.

What do you think?

May 28, 2021 2:09 PM

Mar 2016
Recynon said:
In order to create such a perfect world, there was no way that sacrifices didn't have to be made by other people

From George's perspective before the truth is revealed to him, I can definitely agree with this. But William was manipulating him from the beginning. And William didn't seem to be interested in the idea of 'utopia.' Perhaps as a result of his complete dominance, a few people were able lead a non-life of fighting over stolen treasure, but it is never the utopia that George believes it is while being kept up in his tower. It perhaps would have been interesting if George had reluctantly agreed to use slave labor in the mines, thinking that would eventually lead to world emancipation or something, I dunno. But all that is why I keep going back to the idea that it is a city built for the machines, rather than for the people. Their only industry is in the 'Floating Liquid', which has no use outside of the machines, which are then only used to wage war. It's also interesting to note that the series has almost nothing to say about the environment. Which is weird for anime.

Morilire shouldn't have died either lol
May 28, 2021 2:21 PM
Dec 2019
syncrogazer said:

From George's perspective before the truth is revealed to him, I can definitely agree with this. But William was manipulating him from the beginning. And William didn't seem to be interested in the idea of 'utopia.' Perhaps as a result of his complete dominance, a few people were able lead a non-life of fighting over stolen treasure, but it is never the utopia that George believes it is while being kept up in his tower. It perhaps would have been interesting if George had reluctantly agreed to use slave labor in the mines, thinking that would eventually lead to world emancipation or something, I dunno. But all that is why I keep going back to the idea that it is a city built for the machines, rather than for the people. Their only industry is in the 'Floating Liquid', which has no use outside of the machines, which are then only used to wage war. It's also interesting to note that the series has almost nothing to say about the environment. Which is weird for anime.

Morilire shouldn't have died either lol

I don't remember if the people living in the city knew about what was going on. In any case, it was functionally a utopia for them. As for William's intentions, obviously a big part of his motivation was to mine the blue sand so he can continue his plans of conquest but I think he also wanted to have control over the city and/or create a small scale model for his perfect world. If Neo City was just a machine to make machines, it doesn't seem like its shiny exterior would be necessary.

Why shouldn't he have died? He got offered a chance at redemption but chose to go back to Harry, and then he got caught in a dangerous situation as a result. Overall I'm confused as to what the issue is, as it's pretty standard for stories to have bad fates for the villains that are not directly caused by the protagonists themselves to keep their hands clean, which is to say that it's wrong to kill them for being bad people but being bad naturally places you into dangerous situations.
RecynonMay 28, 2021 2:28 PM
May 28, 2021 2:30 PM

Mar 2016
Recynon said:
Overall I'm confused as to what the issue is

It's not that big of a deal.
Dec 23, 2021 12:26 PM

Nov 2016
Damn, I wasn't expecting that this series would hit me in the feels like that. Will always love bittersweet endings.

Patapata Hikousen no Boukenwas one of the better adventure anime I've seen, but this finale made it score even higher in my book.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 2, 2022 2:31 PM

Mar 2015
Goergyyyyy!!! noooo!! William!!!!!!!
Give me back my brothers please!!!

More topics from this board

» This show is great.

themongomania - Jul 31, 2008

11 by Fintan »»
Apr 18, 4:25 PM

» Jane and Saburi

A_silent_Being - Aug 22, 2019

1 by lona_catee »»
Nov 2, 2022 2:40 PM

Poll: » Patapata Hikousen no Bouken Episode 9 Discussion

Aggron - May 20, 2014

1 by valoon »»
Feb 16, 2022 2:30 PM

Poll: » Patapata Hikousen no Bouken Episode 3 Discussion

Aggron - May 20, 2014

2 by FMmatron »»
Dec 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Poll: » Patapata Hikousen no Bouken Episode 1 Discussion

Aggron - May 19, 2014

5 by FMmatron »»
Dec 17, 2021 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.