Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 27, 2009 1:03 PM

I know that a lot of dedicated anime fans really enjoy the older stuff from the 70s-80s or even the 90s depending on what you consider to be 'classic', and even consider to be better on average than the anime that has come out more recently. Personally I have trouble watching dated animation (I like Miyazaki's older stuff but he was wayy ahead of his time in that department) but I would be willing to be convinced by someone who can explain why they think classic anime is so great. What do you like about your favorite older anime(s)? Is it the story? The characters? Is there something about these anime(s) in particular than animes nowadays simply don't have? Or is it just the nostalgia factor? I would really like to know peoples opinions so I can decide whether I want to explore this area of anime, thanks!

Sep 27, 2009 1:11 PM
Hate to admit it, but I'm not really a fan of the old school animes. I wish the old animation attracted me because some of them I've heard are really fucking good.

Sep 27, 2009 1:13 PM

Gundam.

The original one.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

Sep 27, 2009 1:13 PM

Almost all of it. Especially the REALLY bad ones. I really don't care for the mediocre ones. Odin, Megazone, some of the Brave series, etc.

Sep 27, 2009 1:18 PM

It has a lot to do with cultural shifts, for me. It's like opening my eyes to something fresh and new, sort of like how I was originally introduced to anime. (And boy was it fresh and new compared to Hollywood cinema...)

Though, even now, I've seen very few older anime, but most of the ones I have seen I've liked a lot.
Touch, for example, has an amazing cast. The character interactions are great and their attitudes are extremely lovable. It was able to reel me in and it was able to make me care; make me feel for the characters.

Overall it was particularly slow in its development and it spanned a mighty 100 episodes, but it was still an incredible series.

It might also be worth mentioning that generally the older anime you hear about are the ones that have survived the trial of time in peoples' memories. That generally means that it was particularly good! Of course, there are times that people can't get over the animation and it's a shame that some great stories can be ruined over that; but I guess it can't be helped.

Sep 27, 2009 1:27 PM

Animes are great or bad no matter the time of their release. It's not nostalgia factor because lotsa old animes I watched have been watched in the last three years or so and they are great, so no nostalgia factor there.

One from the late 70's I like is Rose of Versailles. It's a great and classic shoujo. The animation is dated, but not the characters and the drama. There are some melodramatic moments that you just don't see anymore in today's anime.

The original Gundam and Macross are IMO quite unmatchable in all aspects compared to the newer versions.

One anime I though was great when I was a kid is Marco (3000 Leagues in Search of Mother), so my opinions should be tainted with nostagia factor, but I recently watched some episodes and Marco is still great even animation-wise. Marco still holds up compared to today's kid animes.

Lot of people thinks animation is better today. This is half true. There are more techniques available, but the animation in most anime is still bad. People confuse design with animation. The today's design maybe more pleasant looking than before, but the animation isn't that much better. Shitty animation in the past is still shitty today and good animation in the past is still great today.

Old animes are like old movies. If they were great before, chances are they will continue to be great today and in the future.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi

Sep 27, 2009 1:32 PM

i dont even think i seen anything in the 70-80s the oldest anime i remember is the original dragon ball and that doesnt even interest me wasnt drawn very good

Sep 27, 2009 1:45 PM

For me, its harder to get into older anime because of the art/animation. But not impossible, one older anime i've been enjoying is Rurouni Kenshin. I'm honestly fairly new to anime so i've mainly been picking animes in the year 2000+

Sep 27, 2009 1:47 PM

Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer are my fave older titles. I've been getting into alot of older stuff lately.
Well one thing I've learned from this experience, is that a princess is still a princesss even when she is naked.

Sep 27, 2009 1:50 PM

city hunter series, cats eyes, ranma 1/2, and obviously dragon ball z, the master of all anime.

don't ask me why just watch.
Modified by Daijin, Sep 27, 2009 1:53 PM

Sep 27, 2009 1:53 PM

Just look at my list, anything I rated 7 or above is a like, and either I'm just picking things really well, or I do just like a lot of old anime.

I like old manga more though, I seem to dislike pretty much any shojo manga that started in the mid-late 90s and I tend to stick with the 80s shojo of goodness! Not that there hasn't been recent stuff I like, just not as much by comparison.

Sep 27, 2009 1:55 PM
dragonball

Sep 27, 2009 2:05 PM

I've recently become interested in older anime recently because I haven't really seen any, and from what I've picked up so far the general idea I can convey is, anime is anime. I mean if you're an anime you'll like older anime. Tangentially I don't consider people anime fans if they limit themselves to an era of anime to the exclusion of others.

Sep 27, 2009 2:49 PM

I like old-school anime. Like modern anime, some are better than others, but I don't mind the dated art. One of my favourite anime from this period is Angel's Egg because even today, it is still unique with it's symbolic storytelling, lonely atmosphere and outstanding art that is a good deal better than most modern anime.

Other old-school anime that I enjoyed a lot Twilight Q (particularly the second episode), Pictures at an Exhibition and Top wo Nerae!/Gunbuster. I enjoyed the ones I rated a 7 as well.

And then you have classic Ghibli films such as My Neighbour Totoro as well.

Oh, and inb4 Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Modified by Rosa_FOEtida, Sep 27, 2009 3:02 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[

Sep 27, 2009 2:54 PM

flygon250 said:
Oh, and inb4LotGH
This has been up for 2 hours and Baman hasn't come in preaching the gospel of LotGH. Something is amiss.

Sep 27, 2009 3:00 PM

Not really a fan, I'm really picky about art + quality

Sep 27, 2009 3:01 PM

flygon250 said:
Oh, and inb4LotGH
Hmm, what? >__>'

Yes, I really like a lot of old series. Like AlecPyron says about Gundam for example, having only seen SEED from the newer ones, I might not be able to generalize, but the original sure was better in every single way in spite of the dated animation.

Votoms and Hokuto no Ken are other old series I really liked, much because you don't get that sort of stuff so easily these days, when the norm is angsty skinny teenage boys with superpowers and beamspamming super robots.

LoGH should be rather obvious, there is just no other series on this level (correct me if I am wrong, I'd certainly love to find one) these days.

In general, the storytelling remains the same, and old series that excel at this will always be great even if the animation is dated.
The fact that effeminate noodlepeople and moeblobs seems to be in these days does make me lean towards older classics though.

Newer animation also isn't all that great, we've got quality drop and artifacts abound in nearly every new series, I'd rather have a hand drawn series with flaws than a computer made anime with flaws that should have been easily evaded.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Sep 27, 2009 3:19 PM

I'm watching Macross 7; and I find it rather enjoyable. :D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 27, 2009 3:32 PM

Gundam. Why? Because it doesn't use ugly CG and keeps the 2D.

Sep 27, 2009 3:35 PM

asandari said:
It has a lot to do with cultural shifts, for me. It's like opening my eyes to something fresh and new, sort of like how I was originally introduced to anime. (And boy was it fresh and new compared to Hollywood cinema...)

Though, even now, I've seen very few older anime, but most of the ones I have seen I've liked a lot.
Touch, for example, has an amazing cast. The character interactions are great and their attitudes are extremely lovable. It was able to reel me in and it was able to make me care; make me feel for the characters.

Overall it was particularly slow in its development and it spanned a mighty 100 episodes, but it was still an incredible series.

It might also be worth mentioning that generally the older anime you hear about are the ones that have survived the trial of time in peoples' memories. That generally means that it was particularly good! Of course, there are times that people can't get over the animation and it's a shame that some great stories can be ruined over that; but I guess it can't be helped.

And this.

And Rose of Versailles is one of my favourites ever. So much that when I think of it I don't think it's "old". It's timeless.

Sep 27, 2009 3:47 PM

I love old animes, the old animation styles are cooler and feel much better than what we get today. Ah! My Goddess OVA, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam 0083 are some of my old time favories. Just finished Inital D first stage and that was a fun anime, and even tough I've only watched the first two movies so far, LotGH is really good.

Sep 27, 2009 3:50 PM

errmm...

DORAEMON

still the true icon of anime since.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 27, 2009 4:21 PM

Mine is Hokuto no Ken (which shouldn't be a surprise). The story and action are just so much superior to most current shounen despite the dated look.

...and apparently, Great Teacher Onizuka's animation is considered old...? "Pish-tosh," I say to that. It's still far better than anything that's come out in the past 10 years WITHOUT looking dated.

Baman said:
Newer animation also isn't all that great, we've got quality drop and artifacts abound in nearly every new series, I'd rather have a hand drawn series with flaws than a computer made anime with flaws that should have been easily evaded.

Seconded. Original HnK looks better than the new ones. And I saw New Hokuto no Ken BEFORE I saw the original.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines

Sep 27, 2009 5:29 PM
I can vouch for Yu Yu Hakusho being awesome. Definitely better than most shounen and it still has a big fanbase to this day.
And for some reason Spiral (Suiri no Kizuna) seems to have the same feel to it for me as 90's anime, even though it was made in 2002. It has some great character designs and lots of mystery/logic battle stuff.
I started watching Captain Harlock recently and I like it so far, but I can't give a big opinion on it yet.

Other than that, I've heard great things over and over again about Legend of the Galactic Heroes and GTO.

Sep 28, 2009 2:32 AM

Slam Dunk. It's funny, has interesting characters and great story progress. The down side though is that the anime isn't completed (unlike the manga).

Sep 28, 2009 3:19 AM

my butter zone for anime is in the 90's 2D traditional non computer animation was at it's peak and cg was rarely use if at all. Most of my favorite anime have come out of that era. Afterwards it kinda went down hill with the advent of CG, anime now, just doesn't have the skill and love anime from the 90's had.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.

Sep 28, 2009 5:09 AM
I love older anime. Think it's the retro art style that attracts me. While I haven't really gone any further back than 1980, if the right show came along to grab my interest, I'd give it a go.

I enjoy all the usual suspects - Robotech, Appleseed, Slayers, Tenchi, El Hazard etc. Some of the more obscure stuff I'd recommend checking out are OVAs like Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Ruin Explorers, Airbats, Fire Tripper as well as movies like A Wind Named Amnesia.

Admittedly, I've sat through some real clunkers in hope of finding a forgotten gem: The Humanoid, Venus Wars, Dangaioh, Casshan: Robot Hunter, the list goes on...
Modified by flyingkipper, Sep 28, 2009 5:14 AM

Sep 28, 2009 5:26 AM

Being 'older' I grew up with old school anime. Definately Tenchi Muyo, Ah My Goddess, Vampire Miyu, Flame of Recca, Lupin III, Slayers and a few others I know I am blanking on.

Sep 28, 2009 5:38 AM

Nearly all of my favorite anime are over 15 years old. There are exceptions, but I generally don't pay attention to what comes out anymore.

Sep 28, 2009 5:47 AM

i had many old anime that i liked..
like Dragonball and Ranma 1/2.

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Sep 28, 2009 8:06 AM

When it comes to anime, it will always be the story for me regardless of the era it was made. Granted the bright multicolored palette common these days are attention-getters but little or no story will still sink my interest. Older animes that have survived the times (by easy name recall) tend to take their time telling their story but I find that if I stick with it, it is quite rewarding.

Unfortunately, some older titles are fairly hard to get and it's quite frustrating as I do want to watch what has stood the fickle test of taste and time - that says a lot about that particular anime.

Sep 28, 2009 8:51 AM

AKIRA - It's just epic ;-)

Ghost in the Shell - pretty cool one

NGE - except the end I like it

Princess Mononoke - Epic, too

If Excel Saga can be count to the older ones, that as well, too^^

But I have to admit I haven't seen that many older animes, even not the famous ones (like Trigun, Berserk, GTO, LotGH... I someday I'll watch them^^) and further, I actually like the new ones more because of better drawings and such...but that's just my current opinion ;-)

Sep 28, 2009 9:01 AM

I dunno why but I love this image. It's so wacky, so full of mystery, wtf is going on, who are these people, what their personalties like? What's going on? I almost dont want to watch the show to find out.

AirStyles said:
errmm...

DORAEMON

"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 28, 2009 10:12 AM

GTO is just epic. Cowboy Bebop is nice. Ranma1/2 and Rurouni Kenshin are old right?

Sep 29, 2009 1:42 PM

Marmalade Boy
Tenchi Muyo
Escaflowne
Outlaw Star
Medabots
Mon Colle Knights
Flint the Time Detective

Why? because I miss them :(
Symmetry, that is what I enjoy aesthetically.

Sep 29, 2009 1:51 PM

When people say Cowboy Bebop is old, it makes me feel old. :|
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 29, 2009 2:08 PM
Beatnik said:
When people say Cowboy Bebop is old, it makes me feel old. :|

People say CB is old? D: *joins with you in feeling really old*

Sep 29, 2009 2:14 PM

Voiced408 said:
Hate to admit it, but I'm not really a fan of the old school animes. I wish the old animation attracted me because some of them I've heard are really fucking good.

This in most cases..

But Initial D and DBZ are good..

Jaapsneep said:
Ranma1/2

......EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Sep 29, 2009 2:21 PM

Urusei Yatsura is my of favorite anime shows. Made early to mid 80s. I do not consider anything made in the 90s to be old/classic. It is about some perverted, lecherous, woman chasing loser who gets suckered into being the fiance of some beautiful alien girl at the threat of planetary destruction. Sounds similar to Outlanders,To Love-Ru and few other animes with the exception that the male lead is trying to always trying to pick up other women including his fiance's female friends.

Sep 29, 2009 7:43 PM

Beatnik said:
I dunno why but I love this image. It's so wacky, so full of mystery, wtf is going on, who are these people, what their personalties like? What's going on? I almost dont want to watch the show to find out.

AirStyles said:
errmm...

DORAEMON

Beatnik said:

AirStyles said:
errmm...

DORAEMON

Sarcasm?

Doraemon is a popular manga/anime character particularly in Asia. (Definitely the most recognised even today)

The Blue creature is a Robot Cat name Doraemon from the 22nd century, and the guy in Yellow is the Doraemon's master's great great grand father. (His name is Nobita)

Nobita is a.... below average kid, who's extremely bad at sport and study. Thus his great great grandson sent Doraemon back to help him through his life.

Orange fatty = Giant/Takeshi, the local bully who always pick on Nobita.
Girl in Pink = Shizuka, the girl everyone like, including Nobita.
boy in Blue = Suneo, rich kid who likes to show off, as well as picking on Nobita with Takeshi.

It's basically a show about Nobita runs into trouble at life/school or even home, and Doraemon will take out future gadgets from his 4 dimentional pocket (Look above) to help him. At the end of each episodes, whoever did bad deeds aways gets what they deserve. (Including Nobita if he abuse the gadgets)

The movies are where Doraemon really shines... with over 18 original movie storyline that can be considered epic even when compared to todays shows.

anyways, here.
30th movie anniversary special soon.

most recent movie trailer
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 29, 2009 8:15 PM

the_seventh_l said:

People on here keep saying GTO is old and that's NEWER than CB!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines

Sep 29, 2009 9:15 PM

Major_G said:
the_seventh_l said:

People on here keep saying GTO is old and that's NEWER than CB!

Neither of them are old. Old is like the 80's, tbh I thought Hellsing was older than it actually was, really scary animation..which made it pretty scary..though the opening song kicks fuckin' ass.

Sep 29, 2009 9:33 PM

Touch is very cool. true that the art is not as good as animes these days but the story is awesome

Sep 30, 2009 12:52 AM

I watch Doraemon till today. On tv, with Spanish dub.

Sep 30, 2009 1:32 AM

Orphen, because of the premise of the series. I find it so amazing, and alot of characters are given the proper development, and at times, will make you want to just give them a helping hand. The animation is a hit and miss, at certian points it will take a drop, but only for moments at a time.

The dubbing is hit and miss, some actors fit the tone perfectly, and some make me want to punch some random kid. But the voice for Orphen is what usually keeps me watching, David Matranga has such a way with his acting, and his tone, dear bloody god his tone. It makes me want to hear MORE and more!

Overall, my personal favorite.

I don't watch much newer anime, tend to dislike it, and often a fanbase will ruin the whole damned thing for me. (Ex : Bleach and other overhyped sh*t.)

Oct 2, 2009 7:19 PM

im really getting into slam dunk its so hilarious

Oct 2, 2009 7:44 PM

KrylanceloThe2nd said:
and often a fanbase will ruin the whole damned thing for me. (Ex : Bleach and other overhyped sh*t.)
That's an out right stupid reason to not like/watch something. I hate Narutards, Bleachfags, and whatever insulting thing they call extreme One Piece fans, as much as the next guy, but I still like those manga. Honestly it's worse than people that won't watch old(er) anime because of the art, at least they won't watch it for a reason that actually has to do with the show.