Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 8 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2009 8:34 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Multiple smackdowns by Reinhard in this episode. The detective Clouseau moment, the lambasting of the students, all classic.

Wee bit of foreshadowing at the end with the 'you'll always agree with me' quip too.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 13, 2010 8:57 AM
Jul 2008
Well I was right about the principal but then again it was pretty easy to figure out. Detective stories are clearly not the author's forte.

The crime solving was obviously just a pretext. The real themes were discrimination, mediocrity and ambition (among others).

Reinhard's and Kircheis' declarations against the corruption in the Empire ring as false as ever. They clearly mean what they say but their actions are far from coherent with the principles they aim to defend.

There is a very strong homosexual feel to these two's relationship...

Anyway, an average arc comes to end.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Nov 3, 2010 9:33 PM

Feb 2010
This ar actuall really showed in a good way how the empire gets itself rid of the best heads.

1) Killing anyone for personal gain, disregarding the needs of the empire
2) Laying more importance on heritage that on effort
3) Punishing family members for crimes their relatives commited.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 22, 2010 9:18 PM

Jun 2009
A very strong end to a very strong arc.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 6, 2011 2:28 AM

Apr 2009
I like Kircheis' character that much but uhmm maybe it's just me, both of them brushing their hair at the same time in the end seems so gay... I think I should laugh it off like they did. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 7, 2012 8:13 AM

May 2009
Yet another facet of Reinhard revealed. I wonder, though, Annerose has basically settled for being weak, hasn't she? Yet, clearly Reinhard adores her.

Beatnik said:
Wee bit of foreshadowing at the end with the 'you'll always agree with me' quip too.
And my heart was broken once more. ;__;
Jan 2, 2013 12:04 AM

Sep 2009
Athena said:
Yet another facet of Reinhard revealed. I wonder, though, Annerose has basically settled for being weak, hasn't she? Yet, clearly Reinhard adores her.

Beatnik said:
And my heart was broken once more. ;__;

That just had me going "Kiiiiircheis." ;-;
Apr 24, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2007
The main perpetrator and him wanting to blame Haase due to his "disability" was obvious, but the reasoning...so sad.

The case was kinda dull, and felt weird in this series, but the story still had some great moments.
May 6, 2013 1:51 AM

Jul 2012
Case Closed! Reinhard got some experience in deductive reasoning. I'm sure it helped him prepare for some of the things he accomplished in his future.

Ohh Kircheis, if only.....
Oct 9, 2013 7:02 AM

Nov 2009
And thus Sherlock Lohengramm + Dr. Watson Kircheis were born . . . Too bad their mystery solving days were short lived . . . Not really. Not that I hate mysteries, but really the only series I can say I like that have this type of thing is Sherlock on BBC . . . Anyways, glad that the next jump has them in space, look forward to seeing what's up.
Dec 12, 2014 11:19 AM

May 2012
Great ending to thi arc, let's see what happens next!
Jan 3, 2015 1:42 AM

Jul 2011
Well obviously the themes were more important than the content here. Hopefully Top Student gets off with just expulsion. And I guess Reinhard won't face punishment for rejecting the curriculum?

kerlyenai said:
There is a very strong homosexual feel to these two's relationship...

tofei said:
I like Kircheis' character that much but uhmm maybe it's just me, both of them brushing their hair at the same time in the end seems so gay... I think I should laugh it off like they did. XD

Their relationship is platonic love. Reinhard plays with Kircheis' hair all the time anyways in the movies and main OVA. While spouting cheesy (pick-up) lines, even. XD
MirorinJan 3, 2015 1:59 AM
Jan 21, 2015 10:11 AM

Nov 2010
insan3Inquisitor said:
A very strong end to a very strong arc.

Indeed. that was really good.
Oct 5, 2015 8:27 AM

Apr 2012
I feel like I just watched a LOGH Hardy Boys crossover.
Oct 4, 2016 2:42 PM

Jun 2016
Ugh, I thought the murder mystery part was pretty terrible. I cannot believe that the Principal was so laughably stupid, I just cannot. Reinhard and Kircheis' thoughts at the end, though, made the episode.

Overall probably the weakest arc in the Gaidens.
Nov 25, 2016 11:18 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
With this chapter ends the arc "Morning's Dream, Night's Song", a arc with a incredible final, where Reinhard and Kircheis resolve the strange deaths!

But the most important, of this arc, is the genetic discrimination of a empire on decline!!

7/10.
Feb 21, 2017 3:45 AM

Apr 2016
So i finally figured out why Oberstein came to know of Reinhard's reputation and desperately tried to seek a position in Reinhard's fleet. Not just because of Reinhard's talent and the feat he had achieved, but also because of his strong opposition against discrimination, especially about the genetic one, which has been shown in this episode, it all make sense to me now.
Jul 15, 2017 11:15 PM

Feb 2012
Reinhard, taking down nepotism like a boss.

Bravo for him speaking up for Haase

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 25, 2018 3:28 AM

Dec 2015
What a dumb old man. -_-

"It was not the answer Kircheis wanted."
"You will always agree with me."
Hum, is this trying to tell me something? ^^'

4/5

Ep5-8

An average investigation but a good presentation of the Empire's problems and vehicle for Reinhard's ideas.
Jul 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Feb 2017
Detective arc was a nice change of pace even if the mystery wasn't so satisfying to conclude.
Jan 18, 2020 1:23 PM

Nov 2016
It was a pretty simple mystery, but that's ok, it was entertaining and served as a narrative tool to display more problems within the Empire. Also more charactersation for Kircheis and his blonde angel xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 28, 2023 4:52 AM

Jul 2017
I'm loving the gaiden serie even if the mystery wasn't so much complex
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

22 by Ten »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

35 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.