Forum Settings
Forums
May 31, 2014 12:33 AM
Subsequent to contemplating this far, I've taken in notion that Naruto is a satire materially based off multiple religions. Abundantly, Hinduism's relevance is signally substantial compared to that of Buddhism and Japan's Shinto & Hitorigami doctrines.

A strong way to prove my points, would be the whole fundamental concept of Chakra, which is the core of the manga.

According to the Hindu textures, the scripts where the concept of Chakra originated from, Kishimoto seems to have featured in tantric and yogic traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism, into his work. Forbye, this is also another Hindu's tradition. Its name derives from the Sanskrit word for "wheel" or "turning", the key factor to channeling power within oneself.

Followed by another event, where in the array of Deidera's techniques the most notable one utilized is the creation of an mythological Eagle in Hinduism commonly recognizes as a slayer for snakes. Relate that with Sasuke's snakes used as summons for battle formation. It's said, when the Hindu God Ram was bound by snakes, Garuda was called upon to free him. This battle looks familiar to that, right?

Let's not ostracize a trial that uses Yama, the Hindu death god and Hanuman, the mythological monkey with great strength whose body was as hard as diamond, which is exactly how Sarutobi's summoned monkey named Enma which translates to Yama was described.

Remember the second Jinchuriki for Three tails? Yashamaru, was pun on the word Yaksha. A person of two faces or a person who hides their true motive, in other words, a deceiver.

Although this has nothing to do with the manga, something else which I noticed was that Orochimaru's theme music had Hindi lyrics which translated to "Don't speak of things of the heart".

Everyone knows of this, the recent technique which nearly killed Madara. Rock Lee's and Guy's 8 gates, cast down to directly open and correspond to the 8 chakras which each human being possesses according to Hinduism. However, that's just western bullshit. On an irrelevant side, only 6 chakras are supposed to exist within ones body. Just so you know.

If you were heeding attention to the subtitles like me. View the translations yourself, Rinnegan is literally translated as "Samsara eye". Samsara refers to the cycle of birth and death in the scriptures of Hinduism. As you can see, Nagato or as we all prefer calling him "Pein", owns the ability to exchange the death of one to offer another "rebirth".

Booting up another one of my findings, a drones created by Nagato namely Deva Path is literally translated as God in Hinduism as well. More specifically, it may be that manipulative scheming blue-headed Lord Vishnu. ._.

Furthermore, Orochimaru's constant migrating to other bodies alludes to the Hindu belief of transmigration. Although the concept came about within Ancient Greece, Orochimaru's case is closer to Hinduism. The Hindu religion, coupled with the caste system, teaches that people may be reborn as great individuals if they've lived a rich life in a high class, whereas the foul may be reborn as foul animals. Orochimaru's true form is a snake, a foul and ominous animal. However, Orochimaru believes that he is the best and greatest and must thereby be reborn as an even greater shell of his former self. Hence the chasing after Sasuke's body and the transmigration. It is his soul that moves after all.

One other thing, there are 6 "lokas" or realms in Hinduism and on this page Pein describes his six bodies, each coming from a different realm.

The wheel of bhavachakra in Hinduism is divided into six sections which represent the Six realms (or Worlds) of Existence. These Six Worlds are:

1. The World of Devas or Gods
2. The World of Asuras (Demons)
3. The World of Humans
4. The World of Animals
5. The World of Pretas
6. The World of Hell

Note how these are EXACTLY as Pein describes his bodies.

Lot more much recently that I can't be bothered putting in at the moment.

But among the many findings I've uncovered, my cherry picked favored scrutiny is Tsuki no Me Keikaku also known as The Eye of the Moon Plan. Where Madara aims at making the entire world slumber inside the world of dreams. One of the many basic concepts of Advaita Vedanta, Avidya, an erroneous form of ignorance which reputes a person from knowing what is real and thinks that the appearances are real, is latched to the plot here. Basically, if you didn't' get it, the doctrines imply an individual identifies himself with his/ or her empirical self. He/She only visions the aspects they want to see. Other concepts of the same creed called Brahman, Atman and Moksha play their roles here. Kinda complicated, so I will leave it as it is. This is accompanied by a mystical and esoteric concept referring to a speculative invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight, the third Eye, Shiva's eye. Also, the two sons of the Sage of Six Paths (Saptarishi in Hindiusm) are Indra (The Hindu counterpart of Zeus) and Ashura (Demons, the only beings capable of rising against Gods). Makes sense because the brothers were originally enemies who found against each other until the ravages of time until now.

Kishimoto sure knows his shit. The guy is really a genius, I wonder if he was a practitioner of Hinduism....

May 31, 2014 1:50 AM

if this is true then I wouldn't call the writer a genius
b-b-b-baka!!

May 31, 2014 2:40 AM

Hawksasuke1 said:
For some reason you seem to ignore the fact that Japan is a Buddhist country, and a lot of Hinduist elements can be found in Buddhism too, for example: Yama/Enma, the samsara, the yasha, the devas, the lokas... So it's really not surprising to find them in Naruto.

You are right about a few other things of course. Like chakra, Hanuman. Maybe Garuda.
Modified by EratiK, May 31, 2014 4:21 AM

May 31, 2014 3:00 AM

Thread moved.
And cleaned. No spam.

May 31, 2014 3:57 AM

The manga Naruto refers to a few concepts of Hinduism as well as Shintoism. For example the samsara or the Shinto gods, but it's after all Kishimotos own interpretation. However, sometimes Naruto has this "mythic feeling" due to that.

May 31, 2014 9:29 AM

This feels relevant.

Anyone know what it means? Is it referring to their sins and gods and such?

May 31, 2014 9:32 AM

I thought it was Buddhist

http://media.tumblr.com/df38a98dc2d6140197d3671e7dacba69/tumblr_inline_mikd8jaLzk1qz4rgp.png

It seems u know too much bout Hinduism - are u Hinduism by any chance?

May 31, 2014 9:33 AM

tsudecimo said:
This feels relevant.

Anyone know what it means? Is it referring to their sins and gods and such?

lol illuminati

Jun 18, 2015 8:33 AM
I am totally agree with this because I also noticed this things . I had watched every episodes and while manga . I am also thinking that this all things are similar to Hindu religion

Mar 18, 2016 10:58 PM
Everything u've Included here is really precise.
The Amaterasu is very similar to the fire which can burn the whole universe i.e. lord Shiva's fire of apocalypse or the Pralaya, which's generated by the third eye of lord Shiva...

Jan 29, 11:40 PM
I'm a Hindu.
And its all true what is written above.

And That's one of the reasons why we Hindus connect with Naruto so much. Chakra (actually pronounced as Chakr), Asura (actually pronounced as Asur) and Indra (actually pronounced as Indrr) are common Sanskrit Words we Hindu use.

Since, Buddhism came from Hinduism (Lord Buddha was a Hindu Prince and his real name was Siddharth Gautam), Indians and Japanese have a very ancient connection. We Indians respect Japanese a lot and consider them as distant family.

Jan 29, 11:57 PM

A great gravedig, I would'nt've been able to see this thread otherwise, being a Naruto fanboy. Very interesting!

Jan 30, 3:59 AM

The thing here is that kishimoto only used hindu terms that are relevent to japanese culture.
“The sound of the Gion Shoja temple bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
The color of the sala flowers reveals the truth that to flourish is to fall.
The proud do not endure, like a passing dream on a night in spring;
The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.”