Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 30, 2014 4:56 PM

Apr 2013
What an episode! Was interesting to learn more about Hiyama and the captains past and to learn Tanikaze is immortal!
May 30, 2014 5:17 PM

Jul 2007
Onuma said:

Fai said:
Anime removes that nuance of his character, sadly.

The adaptation only made his intentions more clear. Kunato was supposed to be an asshole in the manga, and he is being an asshole in the anime adaptation. Nothing wrong with that.

Kunato in the manga was pretty much a highschool-bully kind of asshole written in a morally ambiguous way.
KUnato in the anime before this episode was pretty much portrayed as a mustache twirling villain hellbent on cheap fame.
AhenshihaelMay 30, 2014 5:22 PM
May 30, 2014 5:20 PM

May 2011
I was pretty pleased to see Kunato actually freaking out with how remorseful he seemed earlier. :P I'm surprised Tanikaze managed to collect the sample without completely going bonkers, so respects for that.
May 30, 2014 5:39 PM

Jul 2013
Damn that sword fight was nicely choreographed.

Another total slaughter of humans by the Gauna.

I love Hoshijiro but idk about her still being alive...is she still alive?

& it was great to see the past. Nagate's a clone wow.
"Komugi, are you there?"

May 30, 2014 5:40 PM

Feb 2013
Awesome fights, both mecha and with swords, even if that was short. The flashbacks were pretty cool and so interested in seeing whats up with the Hoshijiros. Loved her creepy laughter and mocking during the battle.
May 30, 2014 6:18 PM

Dec 2013
i also agree with how this show doesn't get any recognition MAINLY because of the animation style and how it isn't appealing to the eyes. lets face it, people are superficial.
all we can do about that is comment on how it's their loss. this is one of the best shows of the season easily.
so i really hope this gets a second season, these past few eps especially have been the best yet!

until reading it here, i never actually thought to question why there's a talking ex-soldier bear on this ship....
May 30, 2014 6:20 PM

Aug 2013
Really liked this episode, nice back story on what happened 100 years ago.

That ending was crazy.
My Candies:
May 30, 2014 6:24 PM

Jun 2012
Well. I am confused
May 30, 2014 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
That was confusing, at first I thought there was a timeskip.
That's what I get for not remembering any of the characters names.
May 30, 2014 7:01 PM

Sep 2012
Ok, what the fuck is the director thinking? Half of the battle was just cut off (I don't even know how they'll tie up the next events because of that), and the flashback that took the rest of the episode was supposed to be revealed only later.
May 30, 2014 7:15 PM

May 2013
"Hoshijiro speaking. Scratch one frame." "And another one." "Heheh~ heheheh~!"

Somehow I really like the Gauna imitation of Hoshijiro as enemy much more than the original one. ^^
This anime would make such a cool game.

Sorry, but I don't get this - I read the first parts of the manga because a few people were saying that Kunato's action were somehow not as bad as they seem in the anime...
DancingJackMay 30, 2014 7:58 PM
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
May 30, 2014 7:34 PM

Aug 2012

Fai said:
Kunato in the manga was pretty much a highschool-bully kind of asshole written in a morally ambiguous way.
Kunato in the anime before this episode was pretty much portrayed as a mustache twirling villain hellbent on cheap fame.

I do agree that Kunato is acting in a more villainous way. But again, I have no problem with that. He's doing a great job as an antagonist.
May 30, 2014 8:22 PM

Jul 2010
It's so nice seeing Kunato suffering.
Btw, Hoshijiro is "alive", of course she's not herself anymore but it seems she still has her old memories. Also, a flashback of Hiro and Lala's backstory, pretty interesting.

Sidonia is always such an enjoyable and impressive watch, looking forward to see what they're gonna do with Hoshijiro.
May 30, 2014 8:54 PM

May 2013
Yey! Kunato is guilty, I'm gonna throw a party!

But still, Shizuka ;-; Glad to see someone's past. Hiroki is a freaking baddass, no wonder where did Nagate get his baddassness.
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 30, 2014 8:56 PM

Nov 2009
Onuma said:

Yeah, the captain gave him a trainee status. After that battle, where he saved everyone's ass, it was obvious that he would be promoted to a full-gardes pilot. Nagate deserved and Kunato knows it, he just doesn't want to accept the fact that there is someone better than him. Talk about inferiority complex.

I disagree with this part. He has JUST JOINED the school and he was given priority status due to his past with Hiroki. They gave him the type 17(While Kunato worked so hard to earn his fame and the right to use this type). And even though he's a trainee who has just joined in the community(heck, his demonstration was lacking when his score is low) -> Kunato has the right to doubt in his ability[even though we all know he could do better with type 17])
From what Fai said, i can understand some of Kunato's intentions. Great analysis.
May 30, 2014 9:26 PM

Jul 2013
They changed the flashback? I thought it was supposed to be about when Kobayashi, Hirooki, Lala, and Ochiai first got the Kabizashi?
May 30, 2014 9:38 PM

May 2014
MoeGod said:
They changed the flashback? I thought it was supposed to be about when Kobayashi, Hirooki, Lala, and Ochiai first got the Kabizashi?

That was weird, but I guess they probably wanted to shed light on Nagate's origins earlier on, and do the Kabi flashback for later. Now that I think of it, it might work out.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 30, 2014 10:08 PM

Dec 2013
Farewell Honoka...

That imitation power of the Gauna...

Hiyama flashback, hmmmm. :)

Good episode.
May 30, 2014 10:15 PM

Jul 2007
KazuhoYoshii said:
MoeGod said:

That was weird, but I guess they probably wanted to shed light on Nagate's origins earlier on, and do the Kabi flashback for later. Now that I think of it, it might work out.

I can only hope so. That shit is crucial to be learned. And simply mentioning it having happened like they did before is not enough.

I am thinking we will get that flashback as well as
during the whole
May 30, 2014 10:20 PM

Aug 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
I disagree with this part. He has JUST JOINED the school and he was given priority status due to his past with Hiroki. They gave him the type 17(While Kunato worked so hard to earn his fame and the right to use this type). And even though he's a trainee who has just joined in the community(heck, his demonstration was lacking when his score is low) -> Kunato has the right to doubt in his ability[even though we all know he could do better with type 17])

Sure, you're free to disagree, but let me make one thing clear, Kunato never piloted a type-17. Do you think they would give Tsugumori to him just because he thinks he has the right to pilot it? Nagate was especially trained by Hiroki to operate that type of frame. And yes, Kunato had the right to doubt Nagate's piloting skills, but he had no right to do what he did.
VeldarthMay 30, 2014 11:16 PM
May 30, 2014 11:21 PM

Nov 2007
While I spoiled myself by looking at characters listed in the manga section in MAL, it was still difficult to take what has become of Hoshijiro. I will miss the energetic girl who was once amongst the living.

Kunato deserves to meet a tragic ending for what he has done to Hoshijiro. At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing him kicking the bucket, I am that mad with what he has done.

Looks like Lala played a vital role and almost everything behind the immortal counsel, Tanikaze's resemblance to Hiroki is now revealed. Overall, an excellent episode and I have a feeling this anime will only get better, it must be getting better!

Also, it was sad to see one of the Honaka sister falling too.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 30, 2014 11:46 PM

Aug 2013
I hope Kunato will be haunted forever with what he did to Hoshijiro. But I kind of have a feeling he'll be an even bigger asshole after this :/

I know that's no longer Hoshijiro but it's painful seeing "her" like that >__< Also, RIP one of the Honoka sisters.

Highlight of the episode = when Lala was snuggling up to Hiro XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 30, 2014 11:47 PM

Oct 2013
hoshijiro alien chick still just as hot.

i didnt realise hiyama would have had such an important role.
also got to meet the one that taguht nagate all his tricks
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 30, 2014 11:48 PM

May 2014
Fai said:
KazuhoYoshii said:
MoeGod said:

I can only hope so. That shit is crucial to be learned. And simply mentioning it having happened like they did before is not enough.

I am thinking we will get that flashback as well as
during the whole

Yeah, sounds about right. I was thinking
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 30, 2014 11:52 PM

Jul 2013
Haha Kunato in fear - he totally broke down.

That flashback of 100 years ago was good.
Lol Hiroki flirting with Lala XD
Hiroki such a badass, even when he's old.

That placenta, it said Tanikaze.. :o
May 31, 2014 12:04 AM
Feb 2012
MoeGod said:

They'll probably just show it at another time.
May 31, 2014 12:26 AM

Nov 2010
Undead Hoshishiro and Hiroki in the past kicked some serious butt
It was a nice flashback coming from Lala Hayami

Hoshishiro becoming a queen like Kerrigan from StarCraft?
May 31, 2014 2:16 AM

Sep 2008
1lau said:

Hoshishiro becoming a queen like Kerrigan from StarCraft?

And Tanikaze is going to be her Raynor :P
I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

But I am interested in how much of Hoshijiro memories she has and just how will she interact with humans now that it is established she has some of her old memories and she is capable of interaction.

In episode 2 I think, a character (can't remember who) asked if Gauna want to communicate with people and now there's an actual possibility for that. Hopefully it doesn't turn into one of those "I-love-you-but-I-am-a-spy-planted-to-kill-you-all" instances.
May 31, 2014 2:25 AM

Apr 2013
That guy still lives? Damn.
May 31, 2014 2:42 AM

Mar 2012
michaelz_14 said:
i also agree with how this show doesn't get any recognition MAINLY because of the animation style and how it isn't appealing to the eyes. lets face it, people are superficial.
all we can do about that is comment on how it's their loss. this is one of the best shows of the season easily.
so i really hope this gets a second season, these past few eps especially have been the best yet!

until reading it here, i never actually thought to question why there's a talking ex-soldier bear on this ship....

The show is only unpopular in the West. I think the main reason is that it's not on Crunchyroll nor Funimation. Once it comes out on Netflix there should be a lot more fans. However, it is doing EXTREMELY well in Japan. On 2chan it's the 2nd most talked about anime after Love Live S2. It's also #2 in preorders after Love Live S2 (although Love Live is way ahead of everyone else). It looks like it'll easily hit 10K sales which should be very nice for the studio.
May 31, 2014 2:43 AM

May 2010
Sucks to be you, Kunato. How does it feel, listening to the voice of the girl you sacrificed?
I'm so loving this series. Season 2 please T_T
May 31, 2014 3:31 AM

Feb 2013
It was cool seeing some history of Sidonia, I for one would like to know more of it's history, and of Sidonia's underbelly and it's pipelines or whatever it's called.
May 31, 2014 4:39 AM

May 2014
This episode whould have been named "Rampage" after chapter 15 of the manga because of both Benisuzume and Hiroki. ^^

Reite said:
If Hiroki returned 14 years before the current events, then Nagate is 14? Or was he medically aged.

He likely has accelerated aging which would stop at some point. It's likely because Honoka sisters are only 5 years old and yet are mentally and physically young adults. It's not a spoiler because it was mentioned in one of the info pages that are occasionally at the end of manga chapters. It has never been mentioned within the story or plays a part in the plot.

Another fun fact: Benisuzume was named after Tsutomu Nihei's 1 shot Sidonia prototype "Winged Armor Suzumega" where Suzumega was the titular biomecha in a setting that bore some elements of Sidonia no Kishi and Benisuzume was the name of a platoon of those mechas.

Benisuzume means "Elephant Hawk Moth" and was initially translated as "Red Spinghidae" before going back to calling it Benisuzume.
UnsightlyWalrusMay 31, 2014 5:32 AM
May 31, 2014 5:36 AM

Nov 2009
Onuma said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

Sure, you're free to disagree, but let me make one thing clear, Kunato never piloted a type-17. Do you think they would give Tsugumori to him just because he thinks he has the right to pilot it? Nagate was especially trained by Hiroki to operate that type of frame. And yes, Kunato had the right to doubt Nagate's piloting skills, but he had no right to do what he did.

That's the problem there, if you take a look at the perspective of people on the ship, they have no idea who Nagate is and what he did to have such a special treatment from the higher officer. If it wasn't for Hiroki he wouldn't have received those treatment and be special. I strongly agreed with what Fai said and sorry, your arguments lack of conviction to me.
Sure he trained with Hiroki a lot, but he hasn't gotten any chance to prove himself(and he only did public battle simulation in front of other student when he had a low score). Yet, they put him into type 17 just because he trained with Hiroki and that's the "only frame" he can pilot, and Kunato had the right to feel hurt.
I'm not saying Kunato is right or wrong.I never said he had the right to do what he did(beside doubting in Nagate's ability and using the type. Because Kunato earned recognition himself, he is the top student. If anyone has the right to pilot type 17, it is Kunato or the guy who died in the very first battle against the alien, cause they are the best and had proven themselves. Nagate was no body, only the higher up knew about his condition and the past. (Do you have reading problems?), but the actions he took were understandable. And Fai simply was trying to explain why Kunato did that.

It's okay if you disagree with me or Fai cause each of us has different opinion and it's coincidence that Fai and me share the same point of view, meanwhile you don't. Have fun
Takana_no_HanaMay 31, 2014 6:02 AM
May 31, 2014 7:45 AM

Aug 2012
ooooh infected terran!

someone else always have what you want, but it usually means nothing to them...
May 31, 2014 9:44 AM

Aug 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
That's the problem there, if you take a look at the perspective of people on the ship, they have no idea who Nagate is and what he did to have such a special treatment from the higher officer.

Of course they have no idea, I'm well aware of that. For some reason I forgot to mention this in my previous post.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Because Kunato earned recognition himself, he is the top student.

That's what he says, when the adaptation/source material shows otherwise. Sure, he is skilled, but we all saw what he can do to get what he wants.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Nagate was no body, only the higher up knew about his condition and the past. (Do you have reading problems?), but the actions he took were understandable. And Fai simply was trying to explain why Kunato did that.

His actions were understandable, but not justifiable. Also, as I said in my post on another thread:
Onuma said:
I am pretty sure that his motives are clearly visible for anyone to see.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Have fun

There is no "fun" in wasting time like this. So I'll stop here.
VeldarthMay 31, 2014 9:47 AM
May 31, 2014 11:18 AM

Mar 2012
Hoshijiro is creepy as all hell.

This is going to sound like a dumb question but is Izana a clone of Yurie?
May 31, 2014 11:37 AM
May 2014
Really enjoyed the mecha combat in this episode. Fast paced and high intensity.
I'm also surprised the author killed off even one of the Honoka sisters despite their numbers. RIP Hou + Extras of Nakazono Squad.

Hiyama's flashback scenes effectively fill in various gaps, not to mention revealing her rather interesting relationship with Saitou, which would explain her motherly tendency towards Nagate. That sword play was quite an unexpected treat as well. Also, the irony of the Tanikaze and Shinatose past and present relationships.

Awesome mecha combat, intriguing revelations, and they still managed to add a bit of humor when Izana's prank backfires. I feel this episode greatly redeems last week's tenfold.

5/5

Looks like things will slow back down a bit next week. +1 woman for Nagate maybe? Expecting more Jellizana.
May 31, 2014 11:53 AM

Nov 2012
Woooooah that ep!!!
Was so satisfying seeing Kunato like that, he must have been terrified and that makes me happy.
Insane battle scenes though!
Wondering what actually happened when Hoshijiro died and how exactly the Gaunas replicated her, guess we'll know more next ep!
Also interesting to know what happened in the past, Hiro was so badass! That moment thought when Lala thought Tanikaze was actually Hiro..so sad! T^T
All in all really good ep !
May 31, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
TravSavage said:

From what was explained... They are immortal clones (Lala, Kobeyashi, Hiro = Tanikaze) If i'm wrong then the explanation did not resonate however they do a really good job on telling the story. Everything makes sense down to the scientific level of Botany.
May 31, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2009
Quite a bit of info, did Kobayashi have thing for Grandpa Hiro though? Hmm..

I still find that bear creepy as f***!
May 31, 2014 3:58 PM
Apr 2014
Vooo said:
TravSavage said:

From what was explained... They are immortal clones (Lala, Kobeyashi, Hiro = Tanikaze) If i'm wrong then the explanation did not resonate however they do a really good job on telling the story. Everything makes sense down to the scientific level of Botany.

Don't think they all are clones, Kobayashi, Lala and the rest of the immortal ship crew takes some sort of medicine to keep them from aging. Hiro was already too old so the medicine wouldn't have any effect, so they decided to transplant his brain into a clone.
May 31, 2014 5:19 PM
Jan 2014
woah great episode! But I thought there was too much information stuffed to the last 10 minutes? I mean I quite liked it..but in the end I thought it was kind of killing us with flashbacks!
It was interesting to know that Nagate is actually a clone. Well I am obviously not reading the manga.
I loved the battle scenes! I loved how they used Hoshijiro as psychological warfare. damn good.
May 31, 2014 5:41 PM
Jul 2013
Holy shit, bombshells of information all over the place :D

Great EP, great battles and GREAT OST like always :)
May 31, 2014 6:25 PM

Apr 2011
sadfacelv said:
I don't mind swords, but bows were totally out of place, where did all the firearms disappear?;

Firearms aren't a good idea in space for two big reasons:
1) Black powder consumes oxygen in order to ignite, which is bad in any spaceship environment.
2) High-speed projectiles would either a) richochet wildly on a miss or b) possibly puncture a hole in the hull, which would be a Very Bad Thing.

Kunato showed what a coward he was this episode; hopefully this will lead to suspicion about his role in Hoshijiro's death. Or he'll just panic the next time he sorties and will die.

Another awesome episode with some great, brutal fight scenes. The Guana must be attempting to communicate with the Sidonia ... I wonder what the objective of the Guana is. It couldn't be just to exterminate humanity, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered taking on humanoid form. Unless they had studied us enough that they knew they'd have a psychological advantage.
May 31, 2014 7:39 PM

Feb 2013
So Tanikaze is a clone that they were gonna rip out his brain and put Hiro's brain in... I guess. Kinda hard to take a talking bear seriously...
Jun 1, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2007
Blind_Guardian said:
sadfacelv said:

Kunato showed what a coward he was this episode; hopefully this will lead to suspicion about his role in Hoshijiro's death. Or he'll just panic the next time he sorties and will die.

Did not know that showing guilt for what you did is cowardice.

But hey leave it to otaku weebo waifu defense force to twist the facts.
Jun 1, 2014 1:29 AM

Jul 2013
I held it off for the last 3 Eps, but now I cant anymore. Rating goes from 9 to 10.
Jun 1, 2014 2:28 AM

Jan 2011
Fai said:
And the actual multiple factions of Sidonia are being established right now, the Captain is FINALLY shown in less than goodie-two-shoes light too. Definitely right steps in parts that they seriously messed up before this.

I don't see how they portrayed her as being a goodie-two-shoes. If anything she's been shown as a manipulative, shady as fuck character.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

266 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 10:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.