Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 26, 2009 8:38 AM

I know we already have a lot of manga recommendations in the media thread, so if one of the mods considers this post unnecessary, please delete it.

However, if it's okay, I was hoping people might take an interest in posting details about the manga that they're currently reading in a sort of "help guide" format for those seeking new material to study from.

IE:

Title: Yotsuba&!

Furigana: Always available
Recommended JPNS Level: Beginners and up
Pros: Very easy to understand grammar. Great for beginner students, but fun enough that advanced students can use it for light reading. Excellent for learning some forms of colloquial speech and building some basic vocabulary.
Cons/Cautions: Keep in mind that several of the speech patterns are being spoken by a 5 year old. While it might be adorable if you imitate what you read in some situations, you don't want to necessarily mimic stuff like "わけわかんねー!” to random Japanese people you might chat with in the future. :)

Or something along those lines. If anyone has any ideas for other informative bits that should be added to a recommendation, go for it.

Oh, and don't consider the above an actual review/recommendation. If anyone is going to write the blurb for Yotsuba&! it should be firebound.

Sep 30, 2009 8:45 PM

I vote for this topic to be merged with the other one (cuz I don't have the power to do so :P).

I'm also going to modify my first post in that topic so that it can also fit this one in.

Edit: A blurb about Yotsuba? Maybe later... too much stuff to do in life! XD

Sep 30, 2009 8:53 PM

firebound12 said:
I vote for this topic to be merged with the other one (cuz I don't have the power to do so :P).

I'm also going to modify my first post in that topic so that it can also fit this one in.

Edit: A blurb about Yotsuba? Maybe later... too much stuff to do in life! XD

I'll second that vote. ^_~ I just liked the idea of a tidy, patterned method of recommendation to make browsing easier.

PS: Too much to do? Firebound, tsk, priorities! Yotsuba blurbs first and foremost (studying, food, bathroom breaks - a far second! [/sarcasm])

Oct 1, 2009 11:37 PM

Psh, who needs bathroom breaks!?

Actually, I think firebound12 would have way to much to say about that manga, and that's why he's not writing it up just yet. ;)

Oct 1, 2009 11:38 PM

Oh, and maybe one of you could give me details on which topic you are referring to exactly? The media recommendation?

Oct 4, 2009 5:53 PM

Zealous said:
Oh, and maybe one of you could give me details on which topic you are referring to exactly? The media recommendation?
Zealous said:

The only other media recs... mine that is XD. You know, the "Japanese media suggestions - Anime/manga/J-drama/etc. " topic. I already changed the first post to fit this one in.

Oct 6, 2009 12:21 AM

That's fine. I don't really care if it's in multiple threads or one.

Dec 18, 2009 3:10 PM

Any manga/anime in Kansai ben, or any other ben? I'd really appreciate it!

I only found Lovely Complex, which is in oosaka ben.