Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 7, 2014 3:25 AM

Jun 2013
I'm seeing a finale between Peco and Smiles
Jul 12, 2014 1:31 AM

Jul 2013
Another great episode. This anime feels... different. Not only in art style but in flow as well. This is one of those rare animes where you can actually reflect on, you know? Like actually compare some of the characters to yourself. Peco mainly, and I think that's actually one of his main purposes in the show, he's there to showcase that if you truly want something all you have to do is pick yourself up and go for broke.

[center]Currently Watching: Nothing/center]
Currently Playing: Alice: Madness Returns
Jul 18, 2014 3:56 AM
May 2012
Oh, so that is Koizumi-sensei's past, huh. He was like Smile back then. Smile will probably be in the same situation with Peco, but I think, unlike Koizumi, he will win and show no mercy!!
LOL, Sanada handed the flowers like a boss, baby!! I actually kinda want him to get Yurie, because Kazama doesn't pay attention to Yurie. Kazama likes his ping pong BALLS more than Yurie ahahaha.
Obaba x Peco and Smile x Sensei for the win ahahaha.
More Wenge awesomeness!!
Jul 24, 2014 2:32 AM

May 2013
Nice to see Peco leveling up and Smile getting closer to the Coach.

I really hope things don't turn out like Coach's past though because I don't want to see a good match end like that.

I can kinda root for Sanada to get Yurie because he's being straight up about it and he actually like her while Kazama doesn't see Yurie in that way.
Aug 8, 2014 3:39 PM

Mar 2014
Continuing to shit from a great height on every other anime this year.
Aug 26, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2013
China best girl
Sep 15, 2014 6:59 PM

Jun 2011
Not sure how I feel about Yurie, just found out she is a filler character added into the anime. Otherwise, both Peco and Smile look good.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 19, 2014 4:22 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice episode, let's see what will happen next!
Dec 14, 2014 3:37 PM
Dec 15, 2014 7:46 PM

Dec 2013
Another mindblowing episode. Lol Peko's family.

Everyone is training hard

The OST was wonderful, as always.

5/5
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 3, 2015 3:15 PM

Aug 2014
I liked the training in this episode. I like the sensation of knowing that all the characters in the show are all progressing to try to be the best. It reminds me of Hikaru No Go a lot.

Jan 4, 2015 11:12 PM

Nov 2013
I've yet to know what people see in this show that makes it so good. I'd say it's a tad above average but nothing more. Makes me wonder if the only reason people like anime like this so much is because they are so obscure and artsy while anime like AOT and SAO get shit on because of all the attention they get.

Jan 12, 2015 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
Good to see Peco's better. I can't wait for the Peco vs Smile match !!
Feb 22, 2015 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
Another great episode. Peco is made to earn his progress, and Smile admits to having feelings, and is confronted by them. We see some more of Kazama's past, of his burden.
Feb 26, 2015 6:51 AM

Dec 2013
dem OST doe

I miss Kong speaking Chinese
Mar 22, 2015 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
Worst part is that everyone is training so hard but there can only be one winner ;_;
Apr 25, 2015 6:50 AM

Jan 2012
The butterfly coach was a good player as i suspected.

Jun 23, 2015 5:42 AM

Dec 2013
Dat pecorino family freaked me out lol

It was cool to see the coach's backstory. I wonder when we'll get a future confrontation between the two.
Jan 8, 2016 1:25 PM

Feb 2012
Another fantastic episode, theres probably gonna be a ButterFly Jo and Kazama parallel with Smile and Peco at the end. Cant wait.

Also the ost is amazing.
Mar 19, 2016 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
Omg, I got chills when ButterFly Jo was tolding Smile about his backstory...

I feel like the same is happening with Peco and Smile!

5/5 episode.
Mar 24, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2015
I love Peco's family.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 28, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
Peco vs. Smile finale? :D

or not lol. Kong is motivated af.
May 16, 2016 5:45 PM
Jun 2013
character and plot progression is phenomenal!
Jul 3, 2016 9:50 PM

Feb 2015
Barion-Zara said:

Koizumi's past is really giving me foreshadowing vibes for a Peco vs Smile. Seems like he held back against his friend in the past too. He seemed quite OP though hehe

holy smack, i had never even thought of that!

meatycheesyboy said:
I remember years ago a buddy of mine was trying to get me to watch the live action adaptation of this and I never got around to it. With how good this anime is, I wish I would have so I could have been exposed to this awesomeness back then but on the other hand it's nice to experience the story for the first time in anime form.

That being said, I want to pick up the movie but it's just so dang expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Ping-Pong-Yosuke-Kubozuka/dp/B000QXDG70/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1400785312&sr=1-2&keywords=ping+pong

oh there's a live action one? interesting.

athetosis said:
1cebear said:
I find it hard imagining a robot which is fast enough to play ping pong.

Don't need to imagine since it already exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIJME8-au8

no way....

mapodoufu said:
Why does this show have such low ratings wtf cannot comprehend.

cus it's not haikyuu x kuroko no basket.

DarkGeneral said:

- Smile once again runs away to avoid direct confrontation. I'm beginning to wonder where he gets that song that he hums to himself. I have a feeling that it might have been something he used to do when he was locked up in the lockers as a kid.

that's somewhat of what i thought as well.
------
these episodes just keep getting better and even better than that!

so today we learn that smile runs away when he approaches something that requires feelings. this is the first crack of the door of smile's heart we've seen so far.

peco/ko is back on his feet, and back at it again with the fishbowl hairstyle! i really like his and the old lady's relationship. good to see him normal and not so pudgy.

i was disappointed to see smile ignore peco/ko and go back home. i wonder if they even think about each other anymore.

and the wannabe-girlfriend is getting hurt so hard, lol. it wouldn't work anyway, they're cousins. if he wasn't taking her in, his friend is like "Whatever, your loss. I'll at least try with her." i like that.

and while the story is good, can we just put that aside and talk about the anime of itself? like the OST is amazing, but even more so in this ep. we even have a new track, when smile was running from his home. that was really good. the animation isn't dropping and is very consistent, can't wait to see what the next ep can provide.
TomDayJul 3, 2016 10:03 PM
Feb 5, 2017 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
I guess in anime good deeds is just something futile for yourself, you'll go down by yourself no one is going to help you

"Are you sure that's the real Peco?" I love you obaba Goku xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 14, 2017 3:19 PM

Feb 2015
Really liking the pacing and development of this series. We've got Smile working with mr coach as pretty much the main story, while Peco working with the old lady also got its focus. Plus there's Chinese guy... Uh... Not giving up, I guess. And the unrelated girl that has a crush on Kazama. Still, it's pretty damn entertaining to watch. Still on a solid 8.
May 5, 2017 5:29 AM

May 2016
The character development in this anime is simply amazing! This is one of the most noticeable and likable execution of cast development I've ever seen. I can't say much for that Hank Hill dude tho.

Eyebrows is nailing it! I hope Yurie realizes his efforts instead of getting mad and driving around recklessly.

Turns out that Peco is a result of artificial mitosis xD I'm glad that he's getting himself together~

Students and their ping pong coaches sure have a strange relationship. Butterfly Joe's story gave sense to all those random scenes that was shown before. I hope that Smile and Peco's story doesn't end too the same.

Jul 29, 2017 1:44 AM

Dec 2016
Everyone is working so hard! The upcoming tournament is going to be so good! Also that final scene of Yurie seeing the flowers that were given to her earlier may be telling of what's gonna happen...
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 26, 2017 6:29 AM

Apr 2015
If Peco hadn't given up on the game, he wouldn't have to deal with the running...

"And no puking! Show some respect for this place!"

"If you truly love the boy, squeeze him and give him a big old kiss." That's just a tad bit inappropriate for a coach, don't you think?

Oh god, Peco's mom looked uncannily like him. How is that even possible?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 26, 2017 2:39 PM

Oct 2015
Somebody gimme my aishiteru coach!
Jan 30, 2018 11:24 AM

May 2014
A ep. full of emotion. Peco is back in the game which is good. The old man coach story is quite emotional. I knew he was a kind man after all. He didn't want to win a non-fair game so he lost on purpose just like Smile did in his previous match. I guess those two have a lot in common which is maybe why the coach loves him so much. The Chinese dude have the spirit back to try to win against Kazama which is also good. I can't wait to see the final match between those four. Those are going to be interesting matches.

Poor Emiko love a dude that is too obsessed with Ping pong that he totally forgot about his girl. Maybe those flowers near the front door is his. Hopefully the end was a indication of that. Otherwise I will get pissed on him. He can't be that cold.

Only 4 ep. left. I wonder when we are going to see the last game.
Jan 30, 2018 11:29 AM

May 2014
kitkatxz said:
mapodoufu said:
Why does this show have such low ratings wtf cannot comprehend.
Easily the most well made show of the season and possibly the year. On top of creative directing, it's unpredictable, has amazing character development, uses non-typical art style correctly.

Because my friend this requires the person TO THINK.... Most people don't actually use their heads during animes and just enjoy the show. While in this anime you actually have to dig deeper to the big picture, and people on this site don't like that.... Plus A LOT of people are judgmental on art in anime so if they think it looks like shit, 99% they wont watch it x.x Mal logic at its finest.

Well, I agree the art is very different from what we all are used to. But I don't think it's bad. It's in fact very unique. Not many anime have this kind of art which is good. This anime have tried a new animation, something not all studios want to try out. Cause of it it's actually a risk for it's sale rating and popularity.
Sep 8, 2019 1:19 PM

May 2018
Obaba turned into a literal “old shrew” during the cold open.
Oct 21, 2019 3:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Peco is back in the game and is training hard, that's nice
Mar 10, 2020 2:13 PM

May 2018
A nice build up episode, showing that everyone has their own lives
Apr 4, 2020 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
Not sure how I feel about Yurie, just found out she is a filler character added into the anime. Otherwise, both Peco and Smile look good.
that makes sense, she doesn't seem to fit into the story very well

it is way too predictable for them to pull a "history repeats itself" stunt... right?? they're really gonna have peco fight him with a knee injury? noo i feel like this anime is better than that
Apr 21, 2020 3:36 PM

Apr 2016
Everyone's continuing to work hard! I liked the bit with the old coach's backstory, even though it wasn't much.

Isn't it weird that Kazama's cousin has feelings for him? lol
Sep 4, 2020 9:43 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Their own training session continued. Another additional flashback required to deepen their development. They just full of funny moments, when in another side, its just full of an obvious deep meaning. Like two sides of coin, they were develop their own feeling with so much differenciate. But in the end, they must led into one goal. Yeah, a solid end.

Oh, well, once again, they did not take a half effort when talking about the characterization. They just full mode on it and never bother to added their supporting characters to enrich their progression. At the end, you can see how well their relations and its had a huge link on its surrounding. Would it all ended up beautifully? Or would the old story repeat itself again on their future lives? Lets see their rematched battle, for once, and forever!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 5, 2020 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
afromufasa said:
I'm seeing a finale between Peco and Smiles

Same, especially since Coach mentioned an injury and asked if Smile could do the one thing he couldnt.
Now we see Peco with bandages around his leg.
Nov 7, 2020 4:11 AM
Nov 2020
Ping Pong the Animation is a brilliant example based off the manga of the same name that serves as a rare breed to the sports realm. While most sports series captivates on the competitions itself, this show seizes every moment to characterize its players that will be memorable for generations to come. It is mature, realistic, relatable, and compelling. The one aspect I did find somewhat vague and may seem weakly portrayed would be the rules of the actual games. But likewise, this is a story not just being about to beat the man but to be the man. As complex as the characters look, this show is easy to understand with a cunning nature. Even if you feel the final result of their achievements may seem indifferent, there is an old saying that goes “the journey is more important than the destination”. And after watching Ping Pong the Animation, I couldn’t agree more.
https://pingpongbuzz.com/best-ping-pong-paddle-under-100/
Dec 23, 2020 9:17 PM
Sep 2016
erikajohn said:
Ping Pong the Animation is a brilliant example based off the manga of the same name that serves as a rare breed to the sports realm. While most sports series captivates on the competitions itself, this show seizes every moment to characterize its players that will be memorable for generations to come. It is mature, realistic, relatable, and compelling. The one aspect I did find somewhat vague and may seem weakly portrayed would be the rules of the actual games. But likewise, this is a story not just being about to beat the man but to be the man. As complex as the characters look, this show is easy to understand with a cunning nature. Even if you feel the final result of their achievements may seem indifferent, there is an old saying that goes “the journey is more important than the destination”. And after watching Ping Pong the Animation, I couldn’t agree more.
bestpingpongs.com

Couldn't tell you. I burned through five episodes today, at the recommendation of some users on CR. It's a very well-crafted, yet simple, story. Very realistic. The development of the characters is good. It makes me want to play ping-pong, again.

But I just am not getting that "zip" with it. It's probably more my personal tastes than the show, itself. We'll see what the last six episodes hold, but right now, it's a solid 8/10.
Jan 12, 2021 4:31 PM

May 2020
I like this episode, the fight was good
Mar 8, 2021 6:24 AM

Mar 2018
Sweet Pain, the track 17:00 onward reminds me of the great Rei Harakami's sound, such a blissful and melancholy sound
May 8, 2021 12:23 AM
Sep 2016
FrozenSoda said:
Nice to see Peco leveling up and Smile getting closer to the Coach.

I really hope things don't turn out like Coach's past though because I don't want to see a good match end like that https://onepunchmanmangaonline.net.

I can kinda root for Sanada to get Yurie because he's being straight up about it and he actually like her while Kazama doesn't see Yurie in that way.

HxH got me into anime, i have watched, rewatched and read it and till this day I didn't realize the connection between York New and New York

Dec 21, 2021 7:19 AM

Dec 2021
A little less eventful and emotional (well, except coach past) compared to the two episodes before but still an hell of a episode. And yes, Obaba and Peco ARE the perfect couple kek
Oznerol7Dec 21, 2021 7:22 AM
Feb 24, 2022 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
Go, Peco, go!

Obaba is a badass, love the relationship she has with Peco. Looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 23, 2022 10:07 AM
Nov 2020
I love this anime are not only covering the main characters, but they cover all characters
Apr 1, 2022 9:59 AM
Aug 2021
Peco's is back on track now lesgo. But he seems to be hiding an injury. And now it feels like it's drawing parallels with Koizumi's and Kazama's past. Even Koizumi had held back during that match. Hopefully Smile doesn't end up doing the same.
Aug 24, 2022 2:05 AM

Jun 2020
Another great ep. Though the entire I will still the girl from you thing is pretty generic. Nevertheless, it's a great episode. Glad this series is on its tracks. After finishing Kemonozume and Paranoia Agent, I was really worried if there might be episodes that basically ruin the series, just like Kemonozume eps 7 - 8, Paranoia Agent eps 5, 9.

Jan 12, 2023 4:57 AM

Oct 2018
We got to know more about the coach, the way the conversation between them leading to the president of Kaiyo academy was not really something I would expect, and they are already hinting at a Peco v Smile finale. 
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

164 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 12:49 AM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.