Forum Settings
Forums
New
Kantianism or Utilitarianism?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 22, 2014 12:03 PM

Apr 2014
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Yes I would. My existence is not benefiting humanity in anyway sacrificing it to do something greater or rid the world of a higher number of evil people is a sound objective.
nope you won`t
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
May 22, 2014 12:05 PM

Aug 2013
ryuushogi said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Yes I would. My existence is not benefiting humanity in anyway sacrificing it to do something greater or rid the world of a higher number of evil people is a sound objective.
nope you won`t

Of course, I had no idea you knew me better than myself.

A person should not take an ideology to their heart and life if they are not willing to follow it to the end. If I say sacrificing 1 person to save 5 or kill 5 evil people is the right action I mean it, even if its myself.

If I say I would give the order to sacrifice a million to save a billion I mean it. You don't take a philosophy if you are not willing to follow it. That makes a person a liar, a fake someone who is weak of will.
May 22, 2014 12:13 PM

Apr 2014
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Of course, I had no idea you knew me better than myself.

A person should not take an ideology to their heart and life if they are not willing to follow it to the end. If I say sacrificing 1 person to save 5 or kill 5 evil people is the right action I mean it, even if its myself.

If I say I would give the order to sacrifice a million to save a billion I mean it. You don't take a philosophy if you are not willing to follow it. That makes a person a liar, a fake someone who is weak of will.
i would believe in your ``strong will`` when i see you sacrificing yourself to kill 5 Evil right know it just some ideal
May 22, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
ryuushogi said:
i would believe in your ``strong will`` when i see you sacrificing yourself to kill 5 Evil right know it just some ideal

And I'll look to you to save one child whilst letting a dangerous terrorist who murders hundreds of people escape, because morality demands it.
May 22, 2014 12:32 PM

Dec 2013
Other (your vote)

Neither, both have flaws.

Kantianism: You want to improve the human gene pole to further mankind. So you kill off all those who you feel are negatively affecting the gene pole.

Utilitarianism: After slaughtering millions the gene pole is greatly improved. Though in the process millions of people died solely because they were unlucky to have successful gene's.
May 22, 2014 12:35 PM

Apr 2014
Kibura_Iburasa said:

And I'll look to you to save one child whilst letting a dangerous terrorist who murders hundreds of people escape, because morality demands it.
isn't saving life better than taking live
whats the piont of killing that terrorist if we have to sacrifice that child
May 22, 2014 12:57 PM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:

RandomChampion said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
A better example would be would you sacrifice 1 kid to kill 5 pedo/rapists. The answer is yes because the value of the evil killed outweighs the value of 1 good person.

lol

nice opinion there

that's not exactly how we do things in the free world though

Thanks genius thats why its a hypothetical world situation if you haven't seen we don't actually live in a world ruled by either of these ideals but thanks for...wait what are you adding? that this way of thinking isn't current in the real world, thanks could never have guessed that.

Is anyone willing to actually make sense or should I start handing out napkins? for all that bullshit coming out of your mouths.

So you have opinions paralleling those of Al-Qaeda, understood.

As for your "ideals" - utilitarianism and kantianism are nothing more than opinions masquerading as transcendent systems.

The world is governed by laws, which are not based on morality, as much as people try to insinuate .

The world can never be ruled by utilitarianism because utilitarianism is a flawed system that is meaningless to the human ego, just like all other moral systems that collapse when faced with the is-ought dilemma .
May 22, 2014 1:02 PM

Aug 2012
What I learned with all you said, Kibura: It seems terrorists follow Utilitarianism.
May 22, 2014 1:03 PM

Aug 2013
RandomChampion said:

lol whatever you say.

RandomChampion said:

The world can never be ruled by utilitarianism because utilitarianism is a flawed system that is meaningless to the human ego, just like all other moral systems that collapse when faced with the is-ought dilemma .

I agree the world can't work like that but it doesn't require the world to run on those laws. Just requires those in power to use those ideals. One man can send hundreds, thousands to their deaths by order in wartime. The world can be reshaped based on the opinions of a few leading people, just look at Hitler and his cronnies, they changed a whole nation into what they wanted.

The people don't need to decide, they all don't even have to have an opinion, the masses are just their to do as required of them and because of how society is structured most will. I didn't hear the American people complain when they dropped the bombs on Japan, why because the outcome was all that mattered not the morality of it. Evaporate a whole city, burn families and women and children to stop a war that would cost many more lives.
May 22, 2014 1:03 PM

Oct 2009
lupadim said:
What I learned with all you said, Kibura: It seems terrorists follow Utilitarianism.

Kibura : One ought to sacrifice a child to kill 5 evil people
Terrorist: One ought to sacrifice a child to kill 5 evil people

I guess in Kibura's ideal world, the police will be strapping kids with bombs to lure 5 pedophiles and kill them.
May 22, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
I choose both; neither is perfect, but both are often useful.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 22, 2014 1:08 PM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:
RandomChampion said:

lol whatever you say.

RandomChampion said:

I agree the world can't work like that but it doesn't require the world to run on those laws. Just requires those in power to use those ideals. One man can send hundreds, thousands to their deaths by order in wartime. The world can be reshaped based on the opinions of a few leading people, just look at Hitler and his cronnies, they changed a whole nation into what they wanted.

The people don't need to decide, they all don't even have to have an opinion, the masses are just their to do as required of them and because of how society is structured most will. I didn't hear the American people complain when they dropped the bombs on Japan, why because the outcome was all that mattered not the morality of it.

Youre not understanding.

"Ideal" utilitarianism is logically unsound concept that cannot be implemented as some objective moral system. Anything else that claims to be utilitarian is just some opinion in which the line can be drawn anywhere .
May 22, 2014 1:09 PM

Apr 2014
RandomChampion said:
lupadim said:

I guess in Kibura's ideal world, the police will be strapping kids with bombs to lure 5 pedophiles and kill them.
they can do it as long as they have strong will
May 22, 2014 1:17 PM

Oct 2009
ryuushogi said:
RandomChampion said:
lupadim said:

it wouldnt matter how strong or weak their wills are. Kibura would force them to do it to be good and fight evil
May 22, 2014 1:39 PM

Aug 2013
RandomChampion said:

"Ideal" utilitarianism is logically unsound concept that cannot be implemented as some objective moral system. Anything else that claims to be utilitarian is just some opinion in which the line can be drawn anywhere .

Seemed to me that the whole dropping the bomb on Japan plays pretty well into the idea of the ends justify any morally unsound means. A whole nation agreed to do it and it ended a war by sacrificing numbers that would be less than the cost of a prolonged war. Seems to me had the world adopted this ideal into society it would be much better off. You say its not calculable and its all opinion based? simply base it on numbers and obvious best options.

A ship carrying a hundred refugees also carries a deadly currently not curable disease and is heading for the mainland.

Do you let it land and risk spreading the disease or sink the ship and sacrifice the people for the greater good.

Obvious answer is already dictated if you take out morality, human feeling out of it.

lupadim said:

So, what side do you choose? Intentions or consequences? Or maybe other?

I am personally for Kantianism. Because a good outcome is not truly good without a good intention.

Love how people seem to forget the original idea of the thread was to announce what social philosophy you agree with more and your own opinions. We were given two options to choose I have yet to see you RandomChamp actually put forward your opinion based on the original question of this thread.

RandomChampion said:
ryuushogi said:
RandomChampion said:
lupadim said:

it wouldnt matter how strong or weak their wills are. Kibura would force them to do it to be good and fight evil

Modern Terrorism is mainly based on misguided religious fundamentals. A true system would be based on logic and cold numbers, survival and strength of the human race, not petty selfish rivalries between made up religions. You can't monitor the love or will of a god, you can with human numbers.

Lure pedo's out with bomb children lol what, now who is been childish. The system would simply kill all caught pedophiles immediately, simple, effective and the world is better for it, same goes for terrorists. If a nation starts a war, immediately decimate their nation and numbers, assimilate those you can and rid the world of the rest. Its really no different from a prolonged and messy war just far more effective. As I said dropping the bomb was the correct course of action to end a war at the cost of morality, they could have claimed it inhuman to use nukes and fought another 10 year war at the cost of thousands more lives, hundreds more accounts of war atrocities and so on.
May 22, 2014 1:56 PM

Apr 2012
Machiavellianism is the best, even if similar to Utilitarianism there is a slight difference.

But my behavior sometimes fits Kantianism, like I would never betray my principles (of course, except for extreme cases where really I get nothing out of them). Having principles and following them thoroughly would actually be Kantianism itself.

Each of these can be mixed with others to make a better system, I'd rather have my own than pick one.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 22, 2014 2:04 PM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Seemed to me that the whole dropping the bomb on Japan plays pretty well into the idea of the ends justify any morally unsound means. A whole nation agreed to do it and it ended a war by sacrificing numbers that would be less than the cost of a prolonged war. Seems to me had the world adopted this ideal into society it would be much better off. You say its not calculable and its all opinion based? simply base it on numbers and obvious best options.

A ship carrying a hundred refugees also carries a deadly currently not curable disease and is heading for the mainland.

Do you let it land and risk spreading the disease or sink the ship and sacrifice the people for the greater good.

Obvious answer is already dictated if you take out morality, human feeling out of it.

Notice how I did not mention anything about the mere concept of “ends justify the means” in isolated situations. The whole concept of ends justifying means, by itself, can certainly exist, and is independent of ideal utilitarianism.

You fail to realize that utilitarianism is the idea of maximizing “utility” (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean). Lives dont necessarily equate to utility, resources arent necessarily utility, etc.

Human life has no inherent value, so your basing everything on 2 vs 1 life is, again, your arbitrary line, etc.

Kibura_Iburasa said:

Love how people seem to forget the original idea of the thread was to announce what social philosophy you agree with more and your own opinions. We were given two options to choose I have yet to see you RandomChamp actually put forward your opinion based on the original question of this thread.

This is supposed to be Casual Discussion, not “let’s go around the table and ask everyone their opinions”. What I’m writing pertains to the discussion.
The reason I did not care to respond directly to the OP is because, as usual, Lupadim decided to put a bunch of loaded concepts and inaccurate definitions in his topic lol. Ive gone down the path of responding to Luapdim posts before, and it’s something that I prefer to avoid.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
Modern Terrorism is mainly based on misguided religious fundamentals.

Believing that pedophiles are evil is a religious thought itself, which is why youre basically no different in logical consistency.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
A true system would be based on logic and cold numbers, survival and strength of the human race, not petty selfish rivalries between made up religions.

You have no evidence that there is a transcendent imperative towards which the human race should strive towards. What you are telling me is nothing more than your logically unsound belief.

Youre talking about logic while completely ignoring it yourself.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
You can't monitor the love or will of a god, you can with human numbers.

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s nothing more than your arbitrary judgment.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
Lure pedo's out with bomb children lol what, now who is been childish.

Try attacking the argument, not the person, for once?

Kibura_Iburasa said:

The system would simply kill all caught pedophiles immediately, simple, effective and the world is better for it, same goes for terrorists. If a nation starts a war, immediately decimate their nation and numbers, assimilate those you can and rid the world of the rest. Its really no different from a prolonged and messy war just far more effective. As I said dropping the bomb was the correct course of action to end a war at the cost of morality, they could have claimed it inhuman to use nukes and fought another 10 year war at the cost of thousands more lives, hundreds more accounts of war atrocities and so on.

Effective in terms of what? Whatever you say it’s effective in terms of, it’s still your own value, not an inherent value (because a measureable value is subjective, by definition.

Inhumanity, atrocity, etc, don’t mean anything except in the context of (non-transcendent) law.
May 22, 2014 2:11 PM

Feb 2014
Well, firstly, your defintion is pretty lax - Kantian ethics are very, very strict. According to him, lying is the ultimate sin (it's a corollary to his "truthfulness is the ultimate good" schtick) and to lie in any situation is the height of moral transgression. In general, strict Kantian ethics are absurd in the real world - they assume that there is no way to calculate the ends of any action and therefore, actions should only be judged on the strength of their moral consistency. The flaw here, of course, is the assumption that there is no way to figure out the consequences of any given action.

At the same time, it's not like strict utilitarianism is much better. Doing whatever you want to justify the ends, and ignoring other people's wants and needs in the process isn't exactly the ideal way to go about doing things, even if it might result in a net gain for society (after all, if I sacrifice a hundred people for the good of a thousand, why should the hundred people support me? to them their lives aren't any less important than the thousand lives that I'm saving).

Middle grounds are great. It's good to both be consistent with your morals while ensuring that you are acting for the sake of reaching a goal rather than blindly acting for the sake of moral consistency. I wouldn't lean towards either, because trying to lean towards one extreme over another is generally what causes people to fuck up in spectacular ways.
May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
What I get from your argument RC.

Your (mine) opinions on whats right or wrong are your own therefor wrong.
Meanwhile your opinion is any more sound because? its own own opinion that these ideals won't work. Each statement you made is based on your own ideas.

RandomChampion said:

You fail to realize that utilitarianism is the idea of maximizing “utility” (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean). Lives dont necessarily equate to utility, resources arent necessarily utility, etc.

Human life has no inherent value, so your basing everything on 2 vs 1 life is, again, your arbitrary line, etc.

Resource is indeed a utility and it is quite simple to look at objectively.
A crippled man will not give as much to a society as a young healthy one, therefor give the crippled mans resources to the healthy will increase that mans contribution.

Humans have no value only in numbers and before you say thats my opinion. You wouldn't trade 3 cars for 1 of the same type. You would however trade 3 weaker less useful cars for a new and working one same as you would trade 3 cars for 10. It doesn't take rocket science as long as you have a grasp of the obvious utility of things.

RandomChampion said:

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s nothing more than your arbitrary judgment.

Thats your opinion pal, no more right or wrong than my own.
May 22, 2014 2:28 PM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:
What I get from your argument.

Your opinions on whats right or wrong are your own therefor wrong.
Meanwhile your opinion is any more sound because? its own own opinion that these ideals won't work. Each statement you made is based on your own ideas.

All I did was make a comment on your view – I did not say that it was right or wrong.

You then went on to post about ideal utilitarianism.

Now, all I am doing is highlighting your faulty logic.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
Resource is indeed a utility and it is quite simple to look at objectively.
A crippled man will not give as much to a society as a young healthy one, therefor give the crippled mans resources to the healthy will increase that mans contribution.

I understand that resources can be measured….utilitarianism is more than simply measuring resources, though. Utilitarianism entails providing moral grounds for action based on “usefulness” (again, whatever that means LOL). Resources take up space. Actors making decisions is a function of time. Measuring of resources (aka space) at a certain time is not enough to consider the space-time dependent utilitarianism objective. In fact, it has nothign to do with utilitarianism

kibura_iburasa said:
Humans have no value only in numbers and before you say thats my opinion. You wouldn't trade 3 cars for 1 of the same type. You would however trade 3 weaker less useful cars for a new and working one. It doesn't take rocket science as long as you have a grasp of the obvious utility of things.

It has nothing to do with cars, stop making yourself look foolish by comparing cars to humans or whatever lol.
The only thing that matters here is that you value something like number of lives over autonomy of the individual. Neither of these are inherently right or wrong views – but that exactly is it! Youre the one who is touting 2vs1 as the basis of moral action.
RandomChampionMay 22, 2014 2:33 PM
May 22, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
Its hard for an opponent to bring into question another's opinions when they keep it to themselves but of course you probably already knew this. Tell me because I would love to hear what exactly your opinions on this subject are beyond you know, just discrediting me which seems to become a little of your pass time. Although im glad this time you tried it face to face rather than behind my back on some wiki page.

As an American you don't have much to stand on as your own government supports such ideals as my own. In fact you yourself defended the actions of the American Government and military in developing countries. In fact policies and actions that fall much in line of the idea that one country knows the greater good of other people and inflicts their ideals onto others forcefully.

So please enlighten me on your ideology, please so I may not be at this disadvantage you have me at currently. Its far easier to pick at others when you keep your cards hidden after all. Enlighten me on the true universal truth of the world you have.
May 22, 2014 2:40 PM
Jan 2014
utilitarianism isnt about usefulness, its about minimizing suffering and maximizing happiness.
May 22, 2014 2:44 PM

Dec 2013
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Its hard for an opponent to bring into question another's opinions when they keep it to themselves but of course you probably already knew this. Tell me because I would love to hear what exactly your opinions on this subject are beyond you know, just discrediting me which seems to become a little of your pass time. Although im glad this time you tried it face to face rather than behind my back on some wiki page.

As an American you don't have much to stand on as your own government supports such ideals as my own. In fact you yourself defended the actions of the American Government and military in developing countries. In fact policies and actions that fall much in line of the idea that one country knows the greater good of other people and inflicts their ideals onto others forcefully.

So please enlighten me on your ideology, please so I may not be at this disadvantage you have me at currently. Its far easier to pick at others when you keep your cards hidden after all. Enlighten me on the true universal truth of the world you have.

The matrix is real....
May 22, 2014 2:46 PM

Oct 2012
i prefer utilitarianism
RRRRRRRRRR
May 22, 2014 2:47 PM

Oct 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:

So please enlighten me on your ideology, please so I may not be at this disadvantage you have me at currently. Its far easier to pick at others when you keep your cards hidden after all.

My opinion on the Kantianism and Utilitarianism is that they are both useless as they fail the is-ought dilemma. OP isnt clear and consistent enough for me to respond to.

Good luck questioning my view.

I see you are adept at using poor and dishonest debate tactics....ad hominem, putting words in my mouth, bringing up irrelevant topics, etc.

In any case, regardless of what my opinion is, you shouldnt need to know my views to defend your own....lol
May 22, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
Astros477 said:

The matrix is real....

Nah I already knew that....wait which matrix?

RC I have things to say and will eventually say them once im done with FF give me an hour or so.
Quick thing I will say though is I call into question the legitimacy of your opinions when you yourself defend those very ideals in the other thread.

-> Letting someone/people decide that one value is greater than another is not good. Its impossible to work on a system like that.

->Meanwhile supports America's meddling in other sovereign countries affairs because they don't know any better and because "America is strong so they can do what they want" argument. Remember that, really not supporting those ideals there. American lives are worth more than some foreigners right? because of terrorism? hmm similar?

You can't have it both ways either you support that ideology or you live a lie in your own nation.

But again give me an hour or so.

*Arnold voice* I'll be back.
May 22, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2009
cabacc2 said:
utilitarianism isnt about usefulness, its about minimizing suffering and maximizing happiness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism

this is the utilitarianism i am referring to

even so you can make it about whatever you want. The fact of the matter is that it is impossible to calculate how something contributes to “utility” (nothing more, and nothing less – just plain utility).

Happiness is subjective. The value of anything that can be observed is never objective – empirical = subjective, by definition. There is no expert (and never will be) who can come up with a calculation involving maximum happiness (that is, just happiness, without regard for time, etc).

So, when you claim that we should govern actions – actions that influence everything (as any moral system seeks to be applicable to), including the life of an individual – should be based on a measure of happiness, suffering, “utility”, whatever, then what youre actually doing is measuring based on pure arbitrariness.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
Astros477 said:

The matrix is real....

RC I have things to say and will eventually say them once im done with FF give me an hour or so.
Quick thing I will say though is I call into question the legitimacy of your opinions when you yourself defend those very ideals in the other thread.

-> Letting someone/people decide that one value is greater than another is not good. Its impossible to work on a system like that.

->Meanwhile supports America's meddling in other sovereign countries affairs because they don't know any better and because "America is strong so they can do what they want" argument. Remember that, really not supporting those ideals there. American lives are worth more than some foreigners right? because of terrorism? hmm similar?

You can't have it both ways either you support that ideology or you live a lie in your own nation.

But again give me an hour or so.

i never said that "letting someone/people decide that one value is greater than other " is not "good". I dont throw terms like that around in a discussion such as this.

I also never support America's meddling in other sovereign countries affairs....again, me saying that it's not "wrong"=/= me supporting it. And, even if i did support it, I would say that like it, not that it's right.

You would have understood this back in the last topic if you read properly - I do not think anything is morally right or wrong in the context of these discussions. All I am doing is disproving you claims, with regards to logic, which you are obviously unable to defend and therefore need to make up nonsense about other topics ....
RandomChampionMay 22, 2014 3:14 PM
May 22, 2014 3:08 PM

Dec 2013
Kibura_Iburasa said:

Oh well glad you.... wait there's more than one? D:
May 22, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2012
beavis2323 said:
i prefer utilitarianism
Why?
May 22, 2014 3:24 PM
Nov 2013
Honestly, I don't care about intention as long as it's working for the best. If people are just egoistic, I don't care as long as it's working for the benefit of the person itself and the one related. In a economic exchange, for example, we are moved by self interest. But if it's working properly and both parts can have profit/benefit, that's fine for me.
May 22, 2014 3:48 PM

Aug 2012
Kolnikov said:
Honestly, I don't care about intention as long as it's working for the best. If people are just egoistic, I don't care as long as it's working for the benefit of the person itself and the one related. In a economic exchange, for example, we are moved by self interest. But if it's working properly and both parts can have profit/benefit, that's fine for me.
So basically, let's say someone is plotting to kill you.

That person tries to throw a brick on your head. But that person somehow misses. You're basically saying that you wouldn't want that person arrested because his/her's action didn't cause any damage.
May 22, 2014 3:56 PM
Nov 2013
lupadim said:
Kolnikov said:

That person tries to throw a brick on your head. But that person somehow misses. You're basically saying that you wouldn't want that person arrested because his/her's action didn't cause any damage.

Impossible to know the true intentions. We have to work with results. If someone kill me without the real intention, that will not change the fact that I'm dead.
May 22, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2012
Kolnikov said:
lupadim said:
Kolnikov said:

Impossible to know the true intentions. We have to work with results. If someone kill me without the real intention, that will not change the fact that I'm dead.
Of course it won't, but why should you punish the person if he/she had no intention?

Come on, what is the point of arresting someone? It is NOT a punishment. It is something like "Hey, you are too dangerous, so we are going to lock you there. Think at what you did". If the person had no intention to kill, what's the point? "Oh, I know you are not dangerous and that you would never kill anyone, and I know that your jail mates will rape you so much that you will probably become an actually dangerous person, but fuck you thats Utilitarianism bitch!!!"

Simply ridiculous. Kantianism would give the right sentence to the right person.
May 22, 2014 4:13 PM

May 2013
definitely Kant, while his theory is a lot more abstract and not as easy to apply to everday life, it defintely holds more worth in my opinion.
Bokura wa Minna Ikiteiru
May 22, 2014 4:14 PM
Nov 2013
lupadim said:
Kolnikov said:
lupadim said:
Kolnikov said:

Of course it won't, but why should you punish the person if he/she had no intention?

Come on, what is the point of arresting someone? It is NOT a punishment. It is something like "Hey, you are too dangerous, so we are going to lock you there. Think at what you did". If the person had no intention to kill, what's the point? "Oh, I know you are not dangerous and that you would never kill anyone, and I know that your jail mates will rape you so much that you will probably become an actually dangerous person, but fuck you thats Utilitarianism bitch!!!"

Simply ridiculous. Kantianism would give the right sentence to the right person.

That's ridiculous as well, because the people can have bad intentions, but if he or she isn't putting his intentions in practice there's nothing you can do about it. First of all, you won't know the intentions. Second, even if you know you can't punish someone that is following the society rules. Even if it's by accident, if you don't work with results you can't work because we are not in Minority Report.
May 22, 2014 4:18 PM

Nov 2012
I do think intentions matter to some degree but not nearly as much as results. Some of the greatest atrocities are committed under the best of intentions, so often times intentions don't amount to anything when it comes to morality. A moral system that does not consider the results of its actions is useless in my eyes. I'm generally not a fan of Kantian ethics. It is far too rigid and idealistic to ever practically work, and often times a white lie goes a long way towards keeping everyone's sanity.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 22, 2014 5:47 PM

Aug 2012
Kolnikov said:
That's ridiculous as well, because the people can have bad intentions, but if he or she isn't putting his intentions in practice there's nothing you can do about it. First of all, you won't know the intentions. Second, even if you know you can't punish someone that is following the society rules. Even if it's by accident, if you don't work with results you can't work because we are not in Minority Report.
Are you even aware of what I mean with "intentions"?

I am not talking about inner feelings. I am talking about the PURPOSE of an action. About something that is going to be put in practice.

Dictionary said:
the end or object intended; purpose.

^ That's what the dictionary states about intention.

So plz. Just stop. Or try to give proper arguments without using the Strawman fallacy.
May 22, 2014 6:54 PM
Apr 2011
OP:

Your definition of Kantianism needs clarification. There is no such thing as 'intention' in Kant's vocabulary. Immanuel Kante believed that the world was a closed causal nexus, as described by the Newton's law of physics that revolutionized the way of thinking about reality during those times. What a closed causal nexus entailed, to Kante, is a deterministic way of looking at reality. Every action that we do is predetermined by prior events. There is no freedom in a deterministic world, however, Kante couldn't accept that fully. He wanted morals, and to do so, he detailed a phenomenon that happens which he described as "morally salient" moments. These are moments where our INCLINATION wants to do one thing, but our WILL is wanting to do another action. To Kante, doing the GOOD is to follow our will instead of our inclination. To Kante, our will should be following the moral imperative, such as lying is always bad etc.... So under no circumstance is lying permitted. Even if our inclination is for us to lie, our will should take over and guide to tell the truth every time.

That said, I definitely prefer Kantian philosophy over utilitarian philosophy. The goal of utilitarianism was to fabricate a moral theory that didn't derive itself from a worldview, whether it was religion, secularism, or others.. however, it is impossible to fabricate a concrete ideology without assumptions since we do not comprehend the full scope of reality. In the end, utilitarianism, turned out to be a failed moral theory. An empty moral theory.

Utilitarianism doesn't give morals, it doesn't guide anyone to become good. It is just counting heads. The biggest drawback to it is that we cannot fathom every possible consequence, so basing our moral actions on possible consequences is a doomed project.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

May 22, 2014 9:07 PM

Oct 2012
This isn't Kant versus Utilitarianism. This is more like virtue ethics versus teleological ethics.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 22, 2014 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
i will go for Utilitarianism, or the consequences side as you put it because it seems good that even if my intentions are bad they can have a good outcome
May 22, 2014 11:30 PM
Nov 2013
lupadim said:
Kolnikov said:
Are you even aware of what I mean with "intentions"?

I am not talking about inner feelings. I am talking about the PURPOSE of an action. About something that is going to be put in practice.

Dictionary said:
the end or object intended; purpose.

^ That's what the dictionary states about intention.

So plz. Just stop. Or try to give proper arguments without using the Strawman fallacy.

Again I don't give a shit about the purpose of the action because this is just bullshit. If the person is with a good purpose, but end up failing in preserve that purpose in the action itself, too bad. This person has to be punished anyway. If the person has a bad purpose, but the action itself end up being good or neutral, you can't do much about it. Of course, if I take my gun, point to somebody in the street, and hit the wall, I have to be punished because the purpose here is very clear. Also, I wouldn't label this as a good or neutral result, because even if nobody got hurt, the gunfire still has a bad result (everyone that heard and saw the gun shooting got scared and intimidated, then you have a bad result. So the intention was bad, and the action itself was bad. But if I just wanted to hit the wall, and not the person, I would have to be punished anyway, because the result is still the same). But you can't try to analyze the world and what's fair and unfair with only these two options.
blankflatMay 22, 2014 11:37 PM
May 23, 2014 12:29 AM
Jan 2014
Neither, I would consider myself a virtue ethicist in the mold of Aristotle and Alasdair Macintyre.

http://stanford.library.usyd.edu.au/entries/ethics-virtue/#3
May 23, 2014 3:06 AM
May 2009
I am mankind's saviour, everything I do is for the benefit of mankind.
May 23, 2014 5:24 AM

Mar 2008
Other

Peoples actions are obviously good or bad based on the results HOWEVER whether they are a good or bad person weighs more on their intentions. Yet if they are fully in negligence such as drunk driving killing someone by accident as result of actions with no bad intent then it obviously is their fault. Also a persons value as good or bad depends on how they react to the results. If something bad happens even though things went to plan then they should feel bad. If they do not feel bad then they are more bad for not adapting and ignoring feelings of others.

So essentially its a mix of both and case by case based.
May 23, 2014 7:15 AM
Jan 2014
Katsumonogatari said:
This isn't Kant versus Utilitarianism. This is more like virtue ethics versus teleological ethics.
I think what Lupadim described is actually virtue ethics vs. consequentialism.
how would the outcome of the scenario you described be useful to anybody?
May 23, 2014 9:11 AM

Aug 2012
shintai88 said:
I am mankind's saviour, everything I do is for the benefit of mankind.
You should act like that with your devianart on your signature.
j0x said:
i will go for Utilitarianism, or the consequences side as you put it because it seems good that even if my intentions are bad they can have a good outcome
But that is rare to happen. It is way more common that you have good intentions but the outcome ends up being bad. Thus, you should logically opt for Kantianism
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

23 by Dracowyn »»
13 seconds ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

25 by Ex-Aid »»
12 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

41 by -Jahra »»
20 minutes ago

» Is it a good idea to stay relatively anonymous online?

DesuMaiden - Apr 20

28 by vasipi4946 »»
34 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

68 by -Jahra »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.