Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Which death was the saddest among these three?

May 19, 2014 4:08 PM

So, the big three deaths so far..

Elliot's death was a great, mature choice of him. he couldn't resist the fact that he have to accept the chain who killed his siblings, so he rejected it.
Uncle Oscar's death hit me hard, the farewell words he said to Oz was so fucking dramatic. this has to be the most moment i've felt sad for Oz.
Break's death, that "i don't wanna die" and his tears were enough to make me feel depressed.

I'm obviously going to vote for Elliot, but i'm so torn between Oscar and Break. what do you guys think?

May 19, 2014 5:16 PM

They die??? shit... Don't feel like reading this anymore.

May 19, 2014 6:07 PM

^

Well, if you're one of those type of readers who lost interest in a manga if the author killed a certain character, Pandora Hearts is not really for you. Mochizuki Jun is such a butcher.. and she's really good at it!

May 21, 2014 6:32 PM

yea dam i dig the light and happy kind of anime/manga. guess i'll just leave this one alone for now.

May 26, 2014 12:58 AM
I voted Elliot because although Break's death was where I cried, I can still manage to look at his picture without feeling the waterworks start to build up. Elliot? Not so much. Especially not in flashbacks that involve Leo.

@Barto Lo Meo where are you in the manga?

May 27, 2014 6:07 PM

I'm not sure about saddest, but I'd say the best death was Elliot's. His death was pretty much the climax of the Headhunter arc, and because of its placing there and close integration into the plot, it arguably had the most impact of the three. That's not to say the other two weren't well placed or anything; it's just Elliot's was...well, frankly one of the best (if not the singular best) deaths in a series I've ever seen. It hit an insanely high level.

May 27, 2014 6:08 PM

Elliot's death was incredible. I have to agree with zacrathedemon5, it was one of the best deaths I've ever seen.

May 27, 2014 6:09 PM

I don't know any of them :(
POOINA MECUNT x

May 31, 2014 3:12 AM

SharniieSaidSo said:
I don't know any of them :(

They're characters from "Pandora Hearts."

Jun 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Really ? just one guy/girl voted for Oscar ?! OSCAR NEED MORE LOVE IN THIS FANDOM!

Jun 6, 2014 2:02 AM

Oscar for sure.

Jun 9, 2014 8:42 AM

Break, obviously. That was really hard for me :D

Jun 9, 2014 8:49 AM

Limonene said:
Break, obviously. That was really hard for me :D

And Oscar

Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.

Aug 28, 2014 12:40 PM
Break may be my absolute favorite character but i must say that Elliot deaths was sadder... that one really got me and then the next chapter on the first page ''Elliot is dead''.
Pandora hearts broke my heart

Aug 28, 2014 1:56 PM
Break :(
I've stay sad for about 4 month and yet nkw every time l've see his pic l cry *oh my heart* "(

Aug 30, 2014 5:47 AM

That's a really difficult decision.
Elliot's story is so sad and he was such an amazing person for rejecting the chain even though he knew he would die ;-;
But then Break was one of my favorite characters and he started crying when saw Sharon and Reim.... *tears*
But I think my vote goes to Oscar. He was such a lovable and fun character who cared about Oz, Gilbert, and Ada sooooo much. And then the part where he said he wished for Oz to be happy and then was KILLED BY HIS BROTHER while saying that he wished one day he and Zai would have been able to see eye-to-eye...
So yeah, my vote goes to Oscar.

Sep 3, 2014 5:11 PM
BREAK!

Or that's what I thought when I opened the thread anyway. My vote goes to Oscar. He was the guy that brought happiness onto it all and the whole thing was scripted and drawn was superb. The way we see that the gun is about to fire without ever drawing it out and then seeing him in the afterlife really struck hard.

No fucks given about Elliot.

Sep 4, 2014 4:49 PM
Anime Moderator
I knew Oscar wouldn't have many votes :( Although all three are incredibly sad and I cried with all of them, I think Oscar was slightly more heartbreaking because of the build up to his death in the same chapter from the flashbacks. And he was just so important as a father figure for both Oz and Gil. The afterlife part also hit me hard. Just thinking about it makes me cry.

Elliot's was heartbreaking as well, mostly because of the way he died, how he rejected Humpty Dumpty, just damn. I agree that it was the best placed death though, how it was the climax of the arc.

Break's was the most recent death (I think? Not sure if a certain someone died in chapter 97, still cried too though), so his I still remember really well. The way he smiled and told Oz and co. to go ahead, and how Oz knew the meaning behind his smile. The worst part that had me bawling was when Break said "I don't want to die" to Sharon and Reim.

Sep 9, 2014 11:56 AM

Elliot.

Sep 18, 2014 6:28 AM
Hey read chapter 98 someone dies and I'll give you a hint she has a gemren name for two.

Oct 3, 2014 11:37 AM

Probably Elliot. I think most of us all had a feeling Break would not survive the series, but Elliot's death took me completely by surprise.

Oct 16, 2014 6:58 PM

Elliot. His death was already sad but seeing how it affected Leo was even worse.

Oct 17, 2014 1:23 AM

Break, it was expected but still really sad.

Oct 17, 2014 1:44 AM

Add Echo to that now D:

I really can't choose though. If I had to then Break but all of them brought tears to my eyes T_T

Jul 28, 2015 9:25 AM

The saddest for me was Break because he is my absolute favorite.
(Also because he died saving Vincent who didn't want to live anyway and was always mean to him)

Dec 1, 2015 3:31 AM

(EDIT: I changed my post entirely XD)

Out of all of the deaths, I'd say this.
For me personally, I would say Break. Or at least, when he died, I was so bitter and upset for a couple of days. The word bitter is the perfect way to describe it. It had great portrayal and I have no actual problem with it(I expected it), but it still left me angry and bitter for a while. I guess it actually left me in depression.

In terms of which death made me cry the hardest, it had to be Echo. Just the way Oz was utterly speechless and could only repeat her name over and over and Echo just falls apart in his arms. After I read Break die, I didn't want her to die, but.. She did. And I just burst into tears. Coming from someone who doesn't cry much.

Then there's Vincent's death at the end. I cried throughout every chapter since Echo's death(I read the whole final arc in one sitting after all), but if the final retrace was all happy with just that moment, I still would have been in tears. Vincent's character redemption touched me hard and he just dies in Gilbert's arms after finding Oz and Alice's reincarnations. Except it was bittersweet tears, and I'm glad Vincent felt accomplished when he died.

Speaking of Oz and Alice, their "deaths" as well as Will and Cheshire's was also just as sad as Echo and Break's deaths, except I was already crying so I could only feel the impact which was strong. Also cried when Oz and Alice's reincarnations found Gilbert and he was possibly dying.

Oscar's death, while I didn't cry, I was impacted heavily. But I'm really glad he died with a smile on his face.

Then there's Elliot's death. Overall, his death was my favourite. It was just a great death scene and the writing was phenomenal and it impacted the story heavily unlike the other deaths(Just to add to the sadness)While the impact was the lowest, it was still the best death. R.I.P. Elliot Nightray. I'll never forget your character.

Oh yes.. And everyone dying. Let's not even get started with those..
Modified by JewellTH, Mar 25, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 1, 2015 5:02 PM

I can now confidently label Echo's death as the saddest. It felt like she had the most to live for, and she likely doesn't qualify for the cycle of rebirth like Break, Oscar, and Elliot all do. Meaning she's gone forever, for good.

Dec 3, 2015 1:59 AM

^ yep same echo was the saddest for me although break is my favourite char here

and eliot's death to me didnt seem sad at all but instead really cool

Feb 1, 2016 11:18 AM

I cried at all three. I cried at *all* the deaths in this series. This was gut wrenching. GAH
---"'As long as you're alive - you've got 100% chance of dying"---

---there are two infinite things, the universe and the human stupidity. about the first one I'm
not sure...---

---Math should go drown itself in the toilet---

Mar 23, 2016 10:50 PM

Oscar's death was the saddest, if only because he was close to the main characters and it was his own brother that ended his life. The chapters leading up to his death, that talked about the death of his wife and son, and his relationship with Oz, only made it feel like more of a tragedy.

I liked the other deaths too. Elliot's death was like poetry; significant to the plot, permanently changing the people around him, and revealing mysteries that would otherwise remain hidden. Break's death was heavily foreshadowed throughout the manga. You could see it looming on the horizon. When it finally happened, I felt strangely relieved.

Mar 28, 2016 2:53 AM

Would say that Elliot's was the best but Oscar had the saddest death.
He was probably the only family Oz, Ada and Gil used to have. And the years Ada was left alone she only had Oscar... All the flashbacks made the scene really emotional :'(

Mar 31, 2016 5:33 AM

Of the three, I'd have to give that honor to Oscar. The sudden nature of it only made it worse; right after he had helped Oz dig out of the darkest moment for him in the manga. I was just broken up about it sooo much. His showing his genuine, unconditional love for Oz was honestly one of the most touching moments I have ever had the pleasure to read. The true father of PH, especially in a world of shit dads.

Break's death was also sad, because it happened at such an inopportune time for him. Right when he had become attached to the people around him, he had to die. Despite before wanting his life to end, now he had a sense of purpose, and in that moment, it was stolen from him. Tragic. Nonetheless, he managed to do a good thing before going.

As for Elliot, it was also sad, but also powerful to see him resist to the very end. To me, his death only helped define who Elliot was.
Modified by Shiza-sennin, Mar 31, 2016 5:36 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 31, 2016 6:15 AM

Oscar of course .That was actually quite bad ......
The League of Demon Sealers! The First Generation is the Ancestor. The Second Generation is the Inheritor. The Third Generation is the most powerful. After the Fourth Generation, the successive generations grow weaker…. But the Ninth Generation is the ultimate! If the Ninth Generation is not slain, it is the pinnacle!

Aug 24, 2016 8:23 AM
~SPOILERS AHEAD! DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE WARY OF SPOILERS!~

God, all of the deaths in PandoraHearts practically killed me, save for maybe Jack and Xai's deaths. (I hated Jack and Xai.)

But I voted for Elliot's death, and here's why.

I really liked Oscar, but he was important to the plot while always standing on the sidelines, which made it extremely difficult to love him as much as, say, Break or Elliot. When he died, I was sad, but in a disconnected sort of way. I felt worse for Oz than I did that Oscar himself had died.

As for Break...well, I loved Break. He was awesome, not because he was hot or obsessed with sweets, but because his character was intriguing. He was a badass, but he always tried so hard to be independent, which led to him not asking for help when he needed it. Sometimes Break did things he regretted and reflected on them later, not knowing what to do since he never wanted to ask for help but realizes he probably should have. But Break died during volume twenty-two, and by that time things had already started changing. PandoraHearts started going crazy much earlier, and many characters had already died or taken a change for the worse. And, to be quite honest, though I loved Break, I certainly didn't love him as much as so many others from the fandom. I don't know why.

Now, as for Elliot's death...

Elliot died during volume fifteen. Some people thought PandoraHearts started going crazy around volume five, but if they keep reading, they'll realize the insanity had only just started around that time. No major characters had died yet, and there were still characters who were at least half stable. Elliot's death was a huge shock factor for me since he was the first major character to die. I loved Elliot despite the fact that I didn't agree with a lot of his opinions, and I read his death on a plane. (It was a lot of work not to scream.)

So...yeah. That's why I picked Elliot's death as the saddest death.

Mar 10, 2018 6:36 AM

Elliot And Break + Uncle Oscar I feel sad for him too, but not like them

Mar 10, 2018 6:47 AM

Oscar, because the buildup to that moment was much better.

Mar 10, 2018 1:24 PM
It‘s not listed, but I found Echo‘s death to be pretty sad.

Mar 10, 2018 11:47 PM

T0ndo said:
It‘s not listed, but I found Echo‘s death to be pretty sad.
I agree with you that Echo's death was sad but I forgot that she died :(

Mar 17, 2018 8:45 AM

break broke my heart

Mar 17, 2018 8:47 AM

Vincent and Break's death

Mar 31, 2018 3:27 AM

Almost all of them tbh. But the one that broke me the most were the deaths of Break, Elliot and Vincent.

Apr 6, 2018 3:30 PM
Supreme Tsundere

All were freaking sad, but Break's was the worst, due to how he usually his, seeing to coming to an end like that for him...

Elliot's was when this manga started getting fucking real, major turning point, I could accept it very well, neither could feel much at first, but it came slowly, it came T_T

Oscar's too, but like others said Echo, Vincent and even, Glen's Oswald was also sad.

The manga did an amazing job making them feeling meaningfull but without too forced.

Apr 29, 2018 4:36 AM
Playcool said:
All were freaking sad, but Break's was the worst, due to how he usually his, seeing to coming to an end like that for him...

Elliot's was when this manga started getting fucking real, major turning point, I could accept it very well, neither could feel much at first, but it came slowly, it came T_T

Oscar's too, but like others said Echo, Vincent and even, Glen's Oswald was also sad.

The manga did an amazing job making them feeling meaningfull but without too forced.

This pretty much sums up how I feel...
This manga was so emotional and you really get attached to the characters.
I didn't think anyone was going to die at first. Honestly though, everyone's deaths were very sad but I chose Elliot's because it seemed so unexpected at the time. At least everyone else I sort of saw coming, I just didn't want them to die.

Best Waifu: Holo - Spice and Wolf
Favorite Anime: Steins; Gate
Read my Wolf's Rain fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12618229/1/Finding-Paradise-Wolf-s-Rain

May 2, 2018 8:36 PM
Break was the best character no doubt, and I hated seeing him go, I wanted him to be the one to fullfl Alice's wish so it got me.

But Elliot was the best death. Hands down. We all knew Break was likely to die, but Elliot came out of nowhere, we thought that he was Glen...and it affected everything that happened afterwards. Most of the characters were affected.

Mar 20, 6:41 AM

I am going to be fair here...
Break was the best character, Elliot's death was the most impactful one, but Oscar's death was a pure tearjerking ...

Apr 10, 1:50 PM

Elliot.
I was sad when Oscar and Break died but because i liked Elliot more his death impacted me the most...

"At least I... wasn't boring, right?" – Kokichi Ouma

Apr 24, 1:12 AM

It’s been a while since I finished the series, and I don’t really remember if I thought Elliot’s was the saddest, but it was definitely the most shocking to me. I remember thinking “wtf just happened?!” But honestly, all three of these are absolutely killed me. I’m pretty sure I balled my eyes out for (almost) each and every death in this series.

May 4, 1:53 PM

Elliot :/ When He died... I cried so much
I wonder where are my tears