Forum Settings
Forums

What's your opinion on people who lie about their gender on MAL?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 17, 2014 11:36 PM

Feb 2013
Majikkusesu said:
People lie about/hide their gender in real life too
My feminine looks betray me every time.

I insist upon my manliness but they never listen because my eyes are so kawaii and sparkle like a mahou shoujo.

Dead giveaway....deeeeead giveaway.
May 17, 2014 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
Plot twist! I'm actually a girl! lol
May 17, 2014 11:37 PM
Dec 2013
keragamming said:

My God. A barrage of people are coming out.
May 17, 2014 11:38 PM

Apr 2013
Marked-Ice said:
keragamming said:

My God. A barrage of people are coming out.

Out of the closet?

Well congratulations!
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
May 17, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, there are people like that.

I was one of them.

Why? There's plenty of reasons. People want to be perceived differently, people don't want their true gender to be known (because gender stereotypes often offend them), or maybe just listed as a blank because they don't care. In my case, I just did it for attention whoring fun. Which there's plenty of to be had, of course. But those days are over. Feel free to check this thread for a nice little "coming out" story.
Simbly said:
One thing I noted from the short time I've been looking here is:
Every active female is either a lesbian or a bisexual
Why is that? Do anime make females gay?
That's what I wonder myself. I have a (pardon the offensiveness) belief that they (just like I did) do it purely for the attention. Urbandictionary calls it a "flesbian" or "fake lesbian".
MellowJelloMay 17, 2014 11:42 PM
May 17, 2014 11:40 PM

Apr 2013
MellowJello said:
I just did it for attention whoring.

I'll just take it from a professional and say that's the ONLY reason.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
May 17, 2014 11:43 PM

Sep 2010
Simbly said:
name 3 les/bi female users
May 17, 2014 11:47 PM

Apr 2013
animeoppai said:
Simbly said:
name 3 les/bi female users

I would, but I do fear offending the parties involved.
May 17, 2014 11:48 PM
Nov 2008
if i change my gender to girl, i still won't be your gf op.
May 17, 2014 11:51 PM
Aug 2011
iSheep said:
Dr_Smurph said:
I could not care any less about anything online. It honestly makes no difference to me if someone wants to be portrayed a certain way.

I think of it as saying, "Yeah, I'm a chick. But down there, I'm a dude."

Take it or leave it?

No shits left to give more like it. Take it/leave it/do what you want as long as I am unaffected

Like I once told this very fit cross-dressing man in a bar "We can be friends, just don't touch my butt again."
May 17, 2014 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
Dr_Smurph said:
No shits left to give more like it. Take it/leave it/do what you want as long as I am unaffected

Like I once told this very fit cross-dressing man in a bar "We can be friends, just don't touch my butt again."

Never mind then. Hats off to you. :P
May 18, 2014 12:01 AM

May 2013
I don't see the logic as to why people should fake their gender in forums. In online games maybe wherein a girl (who's actually a guy) will tend to freeload from a stupid boy who just thought that he was dealing with a girl.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
May 18, 2014 12:02 AM
Dec 2013
pauro19 said:
I don't see the logic as to why people should fake their gender in forums. In online games maybe wherein a girl (who's actually a guy) will tend to freeload from a stupid boy who just thought that he was dealing with a girl.

Nobody can be that desperate...right?
May 18, 2014 12:03 AM

Apr 2013
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

It sounds like the type of scam that desperate boys fall for.

Unfortunately, scams like that do exist.
May 18, 2014 12:03 AM

Feb 2013
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

Worked for me. I got tons of free stuff.

Consider this the other answer to your earlier question of "why" people do it.
May 18, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2012
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

I have do it before.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 18, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2014
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

Very new to the internet indeed.
May 18, 2014 12:05 AM
Dec 2013
iSheep said:
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

It sounds like the type of scam that desperate boys fall for.

Unfortunately, scams like that do exist.

Wait, so:

1. Find a girl.
2. Give her free stuff.
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

Okay, what's the profit? lol
May 18, 2014 12:06 AM

May 2013
if someone asks me i will always be straight and tell em im a dude =) i think it's fair to do whatever you like while online, but don't obscure the truth or lie, or try to trick people, and it's all good.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 18, 2014 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
Marked-Ice said:

Wait, so:

1. Find a girl.
2. Give her free stuff.
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

Okay, what's the profit? lol

Ever heard of Internet dating? Well, we live in a society where one man can spend $40,000 on Evony by scamming an old lady for her credit card information. Well, here's how that works:

In terms of Internet dating, just make it look really convincing that you're a girl, then lure in a desperate man. Men who go for internet dating have usually hit that stage where they've given up and can't do their searching offline and are at that prime age where they have to get married (or face becoming the laughingstock of their age group, other factors go into play here) and therefore use any means necessary to find a girl. This is where you, the "girl," decide to seduce him into thinking that you are a woman. If it's done correctly, you can start making demands. The man who cannot refuse (and is totally in love) will do anything you say.

Honestly, you can do this stuff on a lower scale. Just play an MMORPG or a social game. I guarantee it happens. You know what I said about people mistaking me for a girl? It actually happens in video games, and desperate guys who think that I'm a girl playing a male avatar actually do what I just described up there.

If you still don't believe me, try it out for yourself. Guys give girls everything because they're not thinking with their mind anymore.
May 18, 2014 12:14 AM
Oct 2013
iSheep said:
To be honest, there's nothing wrong with mistaking gender. People mistake me for a girl from time-to-time, and it's quite mortifying, actually. But I know where they're coming from so it's nothing to get heated up over.

However, those that try to play the part out..... yeah. What the hell are you thinking?
People mistake me for a guy from time to time. Most of the time I don't bother to clarify.
May 18, 2014 12:15 AM
Oct 2013
Marked-Ice said:
pauro19 said:

As a pubescent boy back in the days, I fell for it. I'm glad I'm the type who never gives anything expensive. I blame my own self for being innocent.
May 18, 2014 12:15 AM

May 2013
relationships do happen via the internet more than you'd suspect, i know a few examples actually.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 18, 2014 12:16 AM

Apr 2013
kanno_ said:
People mistake me for a guy from time to time. Most of the time I don't bother to clarify.

Brother! (if you know what I mean) :D
May 18, 2014 12:22 AM
Dec 2013
iSheep said:

Ever heard of Internet dating? Well, we live in a society where one man can spend $40,000 on Evony by scamming an old lady for her credit card information. Well, here's how that works:

In terms of Internet dating, just make it look really convincing that you're a girl, then lure in a desperate man. Men who go for internet dating have usually hit that stage where they've given up and can't do their searching offline and are at that prime age where they have to get married (or face becoming the laughingstock of their age group, other factors go into play here) and therefore use any means necessary to find a girl. This is where you, the "girl," decide to seduce him into thinking that you are a woman. If it's done correctly, you can start making demands. The man who cannot refuse (and is totally in love) will do anything you say.

Honestly, you can do this stuff on a lower scale. Just play an MMORPG or a social game. I guarantee it happens. You know what I said about people mistaking me for a girl? It actually happens in video games, and desperate guys who think that I'm a girl playing a male avatar actually do what I just described up there.

If you still don't believe me, try it out for yourself. Guys give girls everything because they're not thinking with their mind anymore.

Yikes. Thanks for explaining. I didn't know some people can be that shameless. If I'd play a female character, I bet they're going to think I'm masquerading, so I won't bother.
TyrelMay 18, 2014 7:55 PM
May 18, 2014 12:52 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Simbly said:

Yeh I've noticed that too, unless they're all just guys pretending to be lesbians.

Plus lets be honest, everyone loves boobs, male or female, especially the jiggly ones in anime.
May 18, 2014 1:24 AM

Feb 2012
Does gender really matter on mal? :\ If you get along, you get along.

May 18, 2014 1:26 AM
Feb 2014
if u see the big picture it doesn't actually matter. you can't virtual fuck someone(maybe someday)
May 18, 2014 1:40 AM

Dec 2009
(Answering the poll) Not that I know of, they hide it..
May 18, 2014 1:49 AM

May 2013
Gender really makes no difference. I assume everyone is Male until proven otherwise though, as they most likely are.
May 18, 2014 1:54 AM

Apr 2014
It doesn't matter even if state they are male or female there is know way of knowing
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
May 18, 2014 1:54 AM
Oct 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Gender really makes no difference. I assume everyone is Male until proven otherwise though, as they most likely are.
How to prove someone's gender?
May 18, 2014 1:59 AM

Jan 2014
Why would someone lie about their gender? I don't think there's any point doing so.
This is MAL not an MMORPG game!
May 18, 2014 2:04 AM

Jun 2013
Eh, it doesn't really surprise me that people do it, I know loads of people do it on steam. On the internet, I assume everyone is a male until they say otherwise
May 18, 2014 2:06 AM
Nov 2008
An entire forum i was an admin of thought i was female for most of the time i was there.
TyrelMay 18, 2014 7:52 PM
May 18, 2014 2:30 AM
Jan 2014
Its confusing and unnecessary. Stick with your real gender.
I know the joy it provides when you are suddenly treated like a god by a desperate crowd of males though. Its pretty damn amusing.

Heredity! You changed it again, screw you. (what was your avatar before the weird blond loli, btw?)
May 18, 2014 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing.

Particularly because if you lie about being the opposite gender you're able to figure out who is THIRSTY.

Like Zetrin for example.

But, now I can't lie about my.gender because my tumblr is in my sig.
removed-userMay 18, 2014 2:47 AM
May 18, 2014 4:00 AM

Aug 2009
Doesn't matter. Don't really care. If anything, it's the non specified people that I look down on.

May 18, 2014 6:32 AM

May 2013
I don't really care about gender, since it doens't matter at all, which is why I don't think about it too much. There are probably some people that actively try to act like females, without actually saying they are female with the intent to mislead people.
I'm all about dat kawaii life. I stay kawaii thuggin. All day. All night. Skraight stronk
May 18, 2014 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
Truth is I am a Futa. Sorry about lying guys.
May 18, 2014 6:45 AM
Mar 2014
I don't get why people would lie on their gender an also why people would think the others may be lying about their gender...
However if I take as an example an online game reserved (or at least classified as something girly girly) where I feel doubtful about the users that claim to be boys and flirt with every single girl out there. I know that most of the time they actually are girls but yes, a few percent of them may be real boys. A few.
But on MAL ? Seriously ?! You guys say that like if girls didn't like or at least watched animes. We're in 2014. Not in the cretaceous period. To be honest if I look at my acquaintances I can list something like 6 or 7 girls that watch and like animes and only 1 boy.
I personally take the gender shown as the true one and I don't question it.
May 18, 2014 6:51 AM

Apr 2008
I don't see why anyone would care. If you treat people so differently based on gender that you feel hurt or misled if someone's gender is different, you've got other problems. If some dude wants to say he's a girl on an anime database's forums, then what consequences should that even have? If you buy shit off of their amazon wishlist in exchange for nudes, that's 100% your problem.
May 18, 2014 6:56 AM

Dec 2012
they will die a painful death and sent to hell lest they repent and give accurate gender information
May 18, 2014 7:25 AM

Mar 2014
I look down on people who just do it for attention or to troll with people. I just don't see what the point is other than some cheap lulz
May 18, 2014 10:28 AM

Dec 2008
People were certain I was male until I decided to reveal that I am in fact female.

I don't particularly care if people lie about their gender. The only thing I care about when interacting with someone online is their age, it gives me an idea of where they're at in life.
May 18, 2014 10:53 AM

Dec 2013
Usually I'm thought of as female until someone stops being lazy and checks my profile on whatever site I'm on. Maybe I should use more male profile pictures lol.
As for why people lie about gender, could be a variety of things. Maybe entertainment, maybe to see if they're treated differently, maybe they're a closet transgender. Who knows, but overall, it's good to give benefit of the doubt rather than be paranoid over everyone's gender.
May 18, 2014 10:55 AM

Feb 2012
I don't really care. Until a person's lies are revealed they're just a character on the internet to me anyway.
May 18, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2012
I just assume that everyone here on MAL is male. It's easier that way.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 18, 2014 10:59 AM

Mar 2013
I treat everyone's gender like some cheap mystery, seeing if the things they say line up with the info they give.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 18, 2014 11:01 AM

Oct 2012
What? People actually do that?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

13 by 0arche »»
4 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

8 by traed »»
42 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

14 by Kikugi »»
44 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 11 hours ago

25 by Kikugi »»
47 minutes ago

» What do you think about tourism in your country?

Sad - 1 hour ago

2 by Sad »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.