Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2007 7:33 AM

Oct 2006
hm.. I'm still not convinced. Somethings I like, somethings I dislike.
I already knew one of the characters was gonna die but I did not expect it to be that one. He had the "main character" looks somehow... however this event was very interesting. I'm wondering how the rest of the cast will behave now that one of them, and also the one that was closest to being called a "leader", has died.
Apr 20, 2007 7:49 AM

Jan 2007
i was shocked myself, thought it was just some plain save the world thingy, never thought there will be a twist

tried to research a bit and

correct me if i'm wrong

i wonder how it will end
Life without Purpose
blog | multiply | flickr

Apr 20, 2007 7:54 AM

Oct 2006
darn I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler lol =P

*curiosity kills the cat.*

but well that's.... I don't know what to think. If that's true then it means that only that
Apr 20, 2007 8:39 AM

Jul 2005
Wow, this was really good episode! I'm getting really hooked to this show. The ending was great and now I'm just waiting for the next episode to come out. I didn't like that "leader" guy anyways so it doesn't really matter to me if he's in it or not.
Apr 20, 2007 12:10 PM

Mar 2007
I'm pretty sure Maki had a cot in the manga, and now they changed it to a rocking chair. Oh well, I still loved it regardless, I'm looking forward to more of this brilliant [so far] adaptation of Bokurano.
Apr 21, 2007 1:09 AM

Aug 2006
x0x0 said:
i was shocked myself, thought it was just some plain save the world thingy, never thought there will be a twist

tried to research a bit and

correct me if i'm wrong

i wonder how it will end

Yeah, I was just as shocked and I came to the same conclusion myself. This is proving to be a very interesting (and mysterious) anime indeed. I wonder who will be next? And for that matter ...
Apr 21, 2007 12:25 PM

Feb 2007
Ritsuka said:
Wow, this was really good episode! I'm getting really hooked to this show. The ending was great and now I'm just waiting for the next episode to come out. I didn't like that "leader" guy anyways so it doesn't really matter to me if he's in it or not.

Agreed.

I'm also pretty interested in the reactions of the other kids, and if they're going to do/say anything to the Ishida-clone.
Apr 21, 2007 4:56 PM

Aug 2006
I am really liking this show. My favorite of the new season at this point.
Apr 22, 2007 1:22 AM

Mar 2007
The end really shocked me. Like...A LOT.

I was told which character would die in that episode, but not how. I thought he'd die in the battle or something like. Not nudged off a cliff.

o_______o

Apr 24, 2007 12:45 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
It sure is possible but was there anything to proove that he actually died?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 24, 2007 2:37 AM

Oct 2006
Cyruz said:
you're right there isn't although the synopsis here says so. But I won't take that for granted. Even so I would be very disapointed if he "came back to life"... very..

I guess that's the reason they've made so many characters.
Apr 24, 2007 1:58 PM

Jan 2007
Cyruz said:

KaiserpingvinMar 21, 2011 1:40 AM
Apr 24, 2007 2:00 PM

Oct 2006
you could have put that on spoiler tags GruLen >.>
Apr 24, 2007 9:48 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Uh yeah, awesome GruLen, thank you. Seriously.

>_<

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 24, 2007 10:31 PM

Jul 2005
Cyruz said:

I wish he'll stay dead. And it seems so after GruLen's comment. n----n' argh, this was the only show right now that I don't wanna be spoiled about..
Jan 23, 2008 7:56 PM

Nov 2007
i like it so far but i didnt know
Aug 20, 2008 3:38 PM
Oct 2007
Well, to him to have "died" that way was unexpected. Wouldn't mind continuing, hehe..
Dec 28, 2008 12:14 PM

Apr 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmm.... I still dislike the robot fights a bit , the graphics and stuff, not a big mecha fan either here but still the idea and the psychological stuff behind it is kinda intereresting so I'll keep on watching...

Oi what the hell !!?? Didn't see that one coming D: Did he actually die !?

for teh gintama watchers : Noticed right away already shinpachi's voice AND gintoki, but now ALSO : Kokopelli's underling janai !! KATSURA DA !! Hahahaha funny to see the whole VA Crew together here xD
May 13, 2009 11:46 PM

Feb 2009
One less person to remember. Unfortunately he seemed like the least annoying of the bunch, but oh well.
Nov 20, 2009 8:31 AM

Sep 2009
Surprising ending :o
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Mar 2, 2010 2:48 PM

Oct 2009
Ok Ushiro's slap on Kana was not good at all someone should punch him and remind him how to love a little sister. Also Waku has my T_T good boy he was in killing that stupid robot/mantis. I also loved his passion for soccer since it's a nice European sport!

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Sep 1, 2010 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
Ah I thought something like death to every pilot was going to happen
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2011 12:46 AM

Mar 2009
Good stuff. Not gonna say much since I already read the manga.

Anyway, I like the visuals for the ED. The OP is really good too.
Oct 14, 2011 11:57 PM

Apr 2011
Wow ... I kinda guessed from the old dude's cryptic comments in episode 1 that the pilot's life was forfeit regardless of whether the mecha wins or loses. He really should've let them know what they were getting into, but if he had who would have said yes? And then who'd protect humanity from the Angels ... or whatever the hell these things are?

This looks like it could end up a very depressing series as the main characters get killed off one by one through piloting the Zearth ... I'm betting that the imouto will be the only survivor, with the douchy older brother ironically saving her life. I'm sure before he meets his own death we'll see some flashback explaining why he's such an ass to her.

I see now why the series was listed as having such a high body count ... I look forward to seeing how this series will avoid the long plodding march towards doom, or if it'll wallow in despair like Eva did.

If nothing else, Gonzo makes some very unique shows ^_^ Love the art style too, it's so different from what's repeated everywhere today. Kinda old-school.

5/5
Mar 29, 2012 9:37 PM
Mar 2012
Well, THAT was unexpected.

That Dung Beetle thing is creepy. Like Hamtaro gone wrong or something. A deliberate smack at the tendency of anime shows to have cute mascots? At least Hoshimaru in Narutaru was kind of cute in the beginning, but this thing... egh...

Again, I like the scale of the battles, but I hope the enemy designs improve.

3/5
Dec 23, 2012 5:28 PM

Apr 2012
That ending. Heavy.

If I think what just happened happened, then damn. :(

But Dung beetle, loled at the name. Apart from that, the mech are a real pain to watch, it reminds of why I disliked Reideen so much: stupid shapes and poor incrustation.
Dec 24, 2012 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
I did not expect that ending o.o
Apr 27, 2013 11:52 PM

Jan 2013
2 down 13 to go.
That ending was so unexpected.
This is where the drama kicks in.
May 26, 2013 8:42 PM

Mar 2013
think rocking chair will be next. based off ending but im not sure if i will contivue watching because that was such a lame death
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
Feb 28, 2014 2:10 PM

Nov 2012
Yonatay said:
Surprising ending :o
Mar 4, 2014 7:35 AM

May 2012
Oh wow that ending O_O this shit is fucked up but damn awesome! The character development, the action the story just damn good! And well I think I know what's going to happen, every time another pilot is chosen and wins he'll die for whatever reason... We'll probably first see a bit of character development before the fight or so!
May 4, 2014 9:16 AM
Apr 2013
WHaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

No way! That's too much, really...

Depressing series ahead. Let's hope they explore some good themes.

Oh and the fights could be better.
Jun 6, 2014 6:51 AM
Jun 2011
Almost the whole time I was thinking that "damn, what crappy computer graphics, paper thin characters and horrible plot" but after the guy got thrown down I became interested again. I mean, that's something totally unexpected, which is always a big plus in these kinds of series.

Also, Dung Beetle with his asshole-y manners seemed quite interesting. I'll watch at least six episodes and see if this gets any better.
Jun 30, 2014 11:19 PM

Sep 2010
So whoever is the pilot will die afterwards? Poor kid though he was so happy for his victory. D=
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 22, 2014 9:17 PM

Jan 2011
well since its a mecha i assume most of the characters are gonna die, i hope we get to know them more though, that aside its an interesting start
Jan 22, 2015 7:22 PM
Apr 2013
Hmm, I hadn't really remembered Kokopelli's comment about forfeits in the pilot's life until after I read Blind_Guardian's comment... It's interesting, because even though he might have been pretty vague about it, the kids still hopped on anyway. They probably didn't think that was something big to worry about - you know, like when teens think they're the centre of the world and nothing can happen with them? Specially when you're a hero. You think you're invicible.

Komoda was the first one to point out that it might be good to tell the adults after they saw how the battle affected the common people. Obviously no one accepted it - it was their job to save the world! Then Komoda remembered them that someone else could do it too. But still, it wasn't enough to convince them. It only got them thinking for a while.

While I already knew from some spoilers about the pilot's situation after battles, I think some of day may die, some of them may live, I don't know - Waku's death seemed quite confusing. Before he was even nudged, he's eyes seemed empty.
I find it interesting that the character that was labelled by many as the one having ''leader'' characteristics was the first one to day.

Lastly, I thought the chairs were linked with everyone's personalities, but I guess memories construct personalities too so they're bound together.
Jan 25, 2016 2:20 PM

Jul 2015
Is every captain gonna die? Since Kokopelli 'dissapeared '
May 4, 2016 4:36 AM

Mar 2016
arinace said:

That's what this got me wondering as well. Except for the little girl? Idk seems they're foreshadowing something involving her later on.
May 7, 2016 10:08 AM

Aug 2012
The best character just died. Too bad
Those 3d fights are a pain to watch...
Nov 25, 2016 5:14 AM

Oct 2013
gg rriiippppp .
wasted.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 1, 2017 8:01 AM
Jan 2012
Say what you want, but I find the slow paced fights much more interesting than your usual mecha fight.

I expected something weird to happen by the end of the episode, but not that. It was really creepy, but mostly because of how the children reacted to that guy falling off. They were so nonchalant about it.

Also, forgot to say this in the first episode's thread, but the opening is SO SO good.
Apr 1, 2017 8:01 AM
Jan 2012
samofthewired said:
arinace said:

That's what this got me wondering as well. Except for the little girl? Idk seems they're foreshadowing something involving her later on.
Watch the little girl be the antagonist. I hope I am wrong lol.
Apr 29, 2018 7:12 AM

Apr 2014
I know the glasses MC didn't push him.

But jesus christ he's an ass.
Jun 16, 2020 1:33 PM

Mar 2016
So after someone pilots that robot, the chosen kid will die? That explains why Kopelli disappeared. Also, I'm curious about the appearance order of the kids in the ending.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 5, 2021 5:50 PM
Apr 2016
Kana getting dragged into all this makes me feel like the "contract" was never relevant to begin with, and exists solely in the name just to make it more believable. While Waku was really naive, idealistic, and childish, nonetheless I didn't expect him to just die like that... all of a sudden... Well, his falling certainly made the creepy atmosphere palpable; suddenly was overflown with a feeling of uneasiness.
Apr 26, 2022 7:50 AM

Nov 2016
I was wondering why Takashi quit soccer. Got my answers quickly at the cost of massive death flags. A shounen protagonist-esque character like him would either die or live long enough to become the villain in a series like this. Was legit facepalming in anticipation of a messed up death. He emerged victoriously to my surprise just to die from exhaustion because the mecha requires human energy? The question is, will the player die anyway or can it be prevented simply by not exhausting yourself too. In other words, you ought to pace yourself and try to control Zearth more efficiently. (No fucking screaming) Or is death linked to damage/casualties? It's a game wherein they're supposed to protect earth, alas Takashi did some damage himself.

RIP camera guy, lol. He just tried to clean up his reputation.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2023 1:12 PM

Dec 2022
The other kids were completely unfazed at him just being accidentally shoved into the water and killed like that. None of them care at all, displaying mild surprise at most. They desensitised to death already?

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.