Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
May 13, 2014 8:21 AM

Some of the main characteristics of psychopath/sociopath include manipulation, lack of empathy, impulsivity, being in desperate need to experience new things in order to "feel alive", lack of remorse for mistakes or misdeeds, need to be in control of situations and others, low tolerance for boredom, immaturity, narcissism and short temper. I think Haruhi has all of them. Do you think Suzumiya was created that way to portray a psychopath/sociopath?

May 13, 2014 8:24 AM

Analyzing characters in terms of psychological disorders is one of the easiest ways to devalue them and discredit otherwise meticulously reasoned and intentional actions on their behalf (read: on the artist's behalf).

Unless you were explicitly told otherwise, for purposes of critical analysis it's best to assume sanity.

Same goes for humans.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 13, 2014 8:24 AM
Well, she's kind of a tsundere so obviously she's a psychopath. They all are.

Deserada said:
Analyzing characters in terms of psychological disorders is one of the easiest ways to devalue them and discredit otherwise meticulously reasoned and intentional actions on their behalf (read: on the artist's behalf).

Unless you were explicitly told otherwise, for purposes of critical analysis it's best to assume sanity.

You do know that basing all interpretation exclusively on the artist's intention is an outdated concept?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Modified by sarroush, May 13, 2014 8:41 AM
no more forums

May 13, 2014 8:25 AM

No, but Ryoko Asakura is.

May 13, 2014 8:26 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Deserada said:

You do know that basing all interpretation exclusively on the artist's intention is an outdated concept?
You can only work with what the artist has provided. There's a fine line between deduction and speculation.

May 13, 2014 8:27 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

I think Haruhi is pretty awesome, and she can be whatever the hell she wants to be.

May 13, 2014 8:28 AM

On the scae of 1 to Gasai Yuno in this category, Haruhi gets like, a 4.

To me she just came off as a manipulative bitch.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"

May 13, 2014 8:33 AM

Deserada said:

Same goes for humans.

Do people even read the original post before posting or...? I asked if anyone thinks Haruhi was meant to portray a psychopath. Devaluing the artist's intentional actions? Did you see me asking if Haruhi comes off as a psychopath by accident? Maybe it was the artist's intention to create her that way. Just a thought.

Seriously, go watch Evangelion, most characters have a mental disorder and yes, the creator of Evangelion spent time on making them like that.

May 13, 2014 8:34 AM

Haruhi was normal.
Asahina is more of a psychopath.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 13, 2014 8:36 AM

StardustNyako said:
On the scae of 1 to Gasai Yuno in this category, Haruhi gets like, a 4.

To me she just came off as a manipulative bitch.

Gasai Yuno is not a psychopath. She was head over heels with Yukiteru. Psychopaths/Socipaths don't feel love, they just pretend to be in love only when they have a benefit, and nothing like that was suggested in Mirai Nikki.

May 13, 2014 8:37 AM
Deserada said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Deserada said:

You can only work with what the artist has provided. There's a fine line between deduction and speculation.

Well, if you study critical analysis (of any medium, it really doesn't matter) you'll quickly see that that concept is outdated since Roland Barthes. Not that it's not still done, but it's definitely not where an analysis ends. Just google 'death of the author' or 'structuralism' or whatever. Texts can be treated as independent entities and analyzed as such. There are a lot of different theories and concepts, but they all have in common that the total dominance of the author over his texts is questioned. It's more important what impact a text has on the reader than what intentions the author might or might not have had when he wrote it. Some even question the the author's intentions are his own and only see him as an instrument of his time, society and environment.
It's a lot more interesting and fruitful than analyzing everything under the light of the god-like author and everything he didn't put in the text on purpose is WRONG even if it can clearly be read into it. It's not like authors aren't influenced by their subconscious and all that.
no more forums

May 13, 2014 8:37 AM

judging from the first 3 episodes I have watched, yes.
Bokura wa Minna Ikiteiru

May 13, 2014 8:38 AM
Forum Moderator
DatLookTho

Thread moved & cleaned

Thread moved to correct series board.
Please refrain from quote chaining.

May 13, 2014 8:40 AM

Chocolate-Cornet said:
Deserada said:

Same goes for humans.

Do people even read the original post before posting or...? I asked if anyone thinks Haruhi was meant to portray a psychopath. Devaluing the artist's intentional actions? Did you see me asking if Haruhi comes off as a psychopath by accident? Maybe it was the artist's intention to create her that way. Just a thought.

Seriously, go watch Evangelion, most characters have a mental disorder and yes, the creator of Evangelion spent time on making them like that.
I'll put it plainly. My answer is no.

Haruhi is consciously manipulative, but she can never comprehend how manipulative she really is. That is the central mechanic of her story.

I was operating under the assumption that you were aware of this, and further that I disagreed by suggesting an alternative. Unawareness does not make her a psychopath, or even suggest it. If there was one designed psychopath in the series, it would probably be easiest to say it is Ryoko.

May 13, 2014 8:46 AM

"Haruhi is consciously manipulative"
Uh, I know? Psychopaths are too.

"but she can never comprehend how manipulative she really is"
Where in the anime is that suggested?

Plus, why are you focusing so much on the "manipulation" part? There are so many other psychopath/sociopath characteristics I listed that perfectly fit Haruhi's character but you didn't bother to comment on them.

May 13, 2014 8:54 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Deserada said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Deserada said:

Well, if you study critical analysis (of any medium, it really doesn't matter) you'll quickly see that that concept is outdated since Roland Barthes. Not that it's not still done, but it's definitely not where an analysis ends. Just google 'death of the author' or 'structuralism' or whatever. Texts can be treated as independent entities and analyzed as such. There are a lot of different theories and concepts, but they all have in common that the total dominance of the author over his texts is questioned. It's more important what impact a text has on the reader than what intentions the author might or might not have had when he wrote it. Some even question the the author's intentions are his own and only see him as an instrument of his time, society and environment.
It's a lot more interesting and fruitful than analyzing everything under the light of the god-like author and everything he didn't put in the text on purpose is WRONG even if it can clearly be read into it. It's not like authors aren't influenced by their subconscious and all that.
You're splitting hairs. Analysis begins with what the author has presented. We can treat the work as an independent entity after it has made a significant cultural impact or otherwise been given the opportunity to be interpreted in a new way. Whether that change was designed by the author or not is what could put it in this category.

For example: Endless Eight was designed. It was designed to be tedious and a horrible experience to directly impose the feelings of the characters onto the audience. If you somehow thought that it became this way due to some external influence or cultural phenomenon then we could no longer hold the author accountable. It doesn't have too much of an influence on the analysis overall, but it would be preferable to assume the author's intelligence and think that they expected this.

I could speak at length and with countless analogies towards the inconsistencies and unfulfilling nature of expecting random and unintentional inclusions outside of the author's influence, but if you so vehemently defend your own position it sounds as though you just studied under someone (or yourself became) particularly resentful of the practice.

Chocolate-Cornet said:

"Haruhi is consciously manipulative"
Uh, I know? Psychopaths are too.

"but she can never comprehend how manipulative she really is"
Where in the anime is that suggested?

Plus, why are you focusing so much on the "manipulation" part? There are so many other psychopath/sociopath characteristics I listed that perfectly fit Haruhi's character but you didn't bother to comment on them.
I don't intend to pick apart your claim, I simply disagree and I stated my reasoning in the most concise manner possible.

(spoiler for the series)
In this way she acts in a manipulative manner superficially, enlisting the companionship of Kyon et al., but she also has an overbearing influence on the world.

Again, none of the evidence presented in the series thus far allows me to conclude that any of her actions are a result of the considerable mental instabilities which you have broached upon.
Modified by Deserada, May 13, 2014 9:04 AM

May 24, 2014 11:36 PM
Chocolate-Cornet said:
Some of the main characteristics of psychopath/sociopath include manipulation, lack of empathy, impulsivity, being in desperate need to experience new things in order to "feel alive", lack of remorse for mistakes or misdeeds, need to be in control of situations and others, low tolerance for boredom, immaturity, narcissism and short temper. I think Haruhi has all of them. Do you think Suzumiya was created that way to portray a psychopath/sociopath?

Seems like another narcissistic teenager that things the world revolves around them. Of course in this case she might be right.I loved the episode when Kyon was about to slap her.

May 24, 2014 11:51 PM
Damn.. what do you want me to say? I don't know.

May 24, 2014 11:55 PM
No she's just a dickhead

May 29, 2014 5:11 AM

If this was right then all anime characters are psychopath

May 30, 2014 10:02 AM

Jojinik said:
If this was right then all anime characters are psychopath

How does this describe all anime characters?

Jun 4, 2014 8:30 AM

Manipulation, lack of empathy, impulsivity, being in desperate need to experience new things in order to "feel alive", lack of remorse for mistakes or misdeeds, need to be in control of situations and others, low tolerance for boredom, immaturity, narcissism and short temper. All the leaders in anime are like this (See Naruto,One Piece etc.) and the others are following them. So someone that follows a psycopath is a psycho and in the end all anime characters are psycho from your point of view. :)

Jun 4, 2014 8:36 AM

Haruhi has all the characteristics of a sociopath.
As to op's question on whether or not this was intended to show a social disorder. I do not know to be perfectly honest, I suppose her aggressive personality meshes well with the god concept and shows that to succeed you have to be as aggressive as possible and fight for what you want.
I think she's a well developed character even though in all honesty I wouldn't mind her getting a beer bottled smashed across her face because of how much of a bitch she is.
You could call her a tsundere, a far from typical tsundere which is one thing I like about her when making comparisons to other characters in the anime medium.
I would take her more seriously as a character though if she wasn't involved in such a shitty story.

Jun 5, 2014 4:34 PM

Sorry,my friend (i'm from greece too) what you said doesn't make sense.
I have watched all the episodes and the movie. Also i read a part of the novels and i have to say this: HARUHI ISN'T THE PSYCHOPATH IN THE SERIES. Maybe the real psychopaths are ryoko asakura(bitch) or yuki nagato(love her).But,not Haruhi. I don't want to spoil you so i won't mention part of the novel. But there Haruhi is consciously considerate for others and she isn't faking anything. She loves Kyon and that's why she grabs him and run wherever. She unconsciously being jealous of Asahina that's why she bullies her. And she treats the others just like she is supposed to treat them. And don't forget that in the series she is god but she doesn't know it. She have an extreme amount of power that pressures her. Her behavior probably is because she had a trauma that they didn't present us or because she needs attention. As for why she is searching for aliens,espers and time travelers, is because she want to have an interesting life. Even the novel titles says how she is supposed to act in the anime.
FIRST: THE MELANCHOLY
SECOND: THE SIGH
THIRD:THE BOREDOM
FOURTH: THE DISAPPEARENCE
FIFTH: THE RAMPAGE
6TH: THE WAVERING
7TH: THE INTRIGUES
8TH: THE INDIGNATION
9TH:THE DISSOCIATION
10-11: THE SURPRISE
With that you understand that she is only a teenager that needs attention,is bored and just wants an interesting life. This way she will feel that she exists .

May 24, 10:16 AM
I'm in the psychology rotation and thinking about mental illnesses Haruhi came to my mind so i searched if anyone was curious to what her diagnosis by a professional would be because she definitely acts abnormal and has multiple weird ideas and beliefs..
Since there was no actual psychological analysis i'll try my best to give one,
From my humble experience i would diagnose her with at least three personality disorders and maybe even some kind of chronic psychosis (Schizophrenia or something else..) let me explain.
She presents textbook signs and behavior of:
Borderline personality disorder: (The excessive sense of boredom and emptiness, self-destructive activities)
Anti-Social personality disorder: (Going against the rules, Using others, impulsivity)
Schizoid (And even schizotypal) Personality disorder: (Thinks she's better than others, Prefers to be alone & don't care what others think, Wears eccentric clothes and says weird things, has mystical delusions)
And finally the fact that she's convinced that there are aliens and ESPs, ect, means that she's Delusional and maybe has hallucinations => Psychosis.
Hope this helped, If someone with better knowledge disagrees, I'd be happy to argue about this xD