Forum Settings
Forums

The end of Cowboy Bebop - SPOILER ALERT - do not read if you haven't finished watching the show

New
Jan 22, 2008 5:24 PM

Sep 2007
Simple question: would you have preferred a different ending?
A sort of happily ever after, or are you satisfied with how it ended?

This doesn't want to be an evangelion-style "the ending sucked" kind of topic, i'm just curious as to how you reacted. Also, if you could decide the end the show, what would your ending be like?

personally i was in tears at the end (yeah i know, i suck :P) but i don't think i'd change the ending for a "happier" one.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 22, 2008 9:13 PM

Jan 2007
Nah...I mean, of course it's sad when you spend 20-some episodes with the hero and then he goes off and dies, but the ending was too epic to mess with. I can't imagine it ending another way and still being as good.
Feb 1, 2008 6:11 PM

Jan 2008
I don't think there are much people who didn't like the ending. I was in tears too owo"
Feb 1, 2008 6:30 PM
Aug 2007
hounddog said:
Nah...I mean, of course it's sad when you spend 20-some episodes with the hero and then he goes off and dies, but the ending was too epic to mess with. I can't imagine it ending another way and still being as good.

QFT. It may have been a real tear-jerker, but it was still great.
Feb 2, 2008 6:11 AM

Sep 2007
it's nice to know we all agree :P
Feb 7, 2008 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
I have watched that ending about 6 times now, and every time it gets even more emotional. I'm really starting to understand that there was more to this show than just awesome fights and great music, and the ending epitomizes that.

He could have stayed with Faye and Jet and started all over again, and he probably would have been happy. But like he said, he had to find out if he was really living. For him the past three years were like watching a dream, and at some point, the dream has to end, and we must wake up.

At some point, we all have to come to terms with our pasts, whether anything good comes of it or not, just like Faye and Jet did. They had nothing to go back to, so they came back. Spike however, couldn't let Vicious get away with what he had done, he had to end it once and for all, and that was his way of coming to terms with his past.

Jet understood this, and that's why he let Spike go, but Faye, who has abandonment issues, knew that it had to be done, but was reluctant to let go of the little "family" she had left. That is why it was such a masterpiece.

It was tragic, yes, but I would have it no other way.

Mar 5, 2008 9:30 AM

Mar 2008
I think the ending was perfect!
Nothing more to add.
Mar 6, 2008 7:09 AM

Dec 2007
I agree with everyone else, it was a masterpiece of an ending. You can't just change an ending like that.

@masaba: It took me like 8 times watching the whole ending to see all that. Spike past was just to much to just keep running from, so that was the best way to take care of everything, finding revenge and truth.
Mar 10, 2008 3:01 PM

Oct 2007
The ending was perfect
Mar 12, 2008 3:00 AM

Mar 2008
the ending was perfect, it was emotional and unforgettable.
Mar 12, 2008 11:45 AM
Nov 2007
If Spike died then its the perfect ending.... Yeah i know thats kind of wrong. XD
Mar 15, 2008 9:30 PM

Oct 2007
couldnt have ended it better myself...
Mar 16, 2008 2:39 PM

Mar 2008
Lofoc said:
If Spike died then its the perfect ending.... Yeah i know thats kind of wrong. XD

He is dead!
Mar 16, 2008 3:58 PM
Nov 2007
basero said:
Lofoc said:

He is dead!
Well the official quote is: "'Ive never officially said that he's died. At this point, I can tell you that I'm not sure if he's alive or dead. I think probably rather than being yelled at for killing Spike, I think ... people are more upset that I might make a continuation." - Shinichiro Watanabe
Mar 21, 2008 11:26 PM
Mar 2008
there is no better ending for a show like that.
Mar 22, 2008 5:18 AM

Mar 2008
The ending is perfect in my opinion, don't want further continuation or some sort

Since episode 1 i think he's already "dead", during the whole series he's been dreaming, and when what happened with julia simply put spike at a point of no return

That's why this anime is a masterpiece
Mar 22, 2008 4:36 PM

Mar 2008
I think the ending was perfect the way it was. I cryed though. Bang
Mar 22, 2008 7:02 PM
Oct 2007
I loved the ending... Although a bit sad... And the Bebop is all over... but it was epic... I mean... if He lived, then it would go down as something like the main character cannot ever die.... which is boring... he gets closer and closer to death... until he touches it. and dies... which is so awesome!!!

Mar 31, 2008 8:39 AM

Jun 2007
Yep, I know I've seen the whole series through like maybe 7 or 8 times. I've watched the last 2 episodes like maybe 20 times. I don't want a continuation of the series, but what would be pretty dope would be a prequel of Spike and Vicious working for the syndicate together, and it leads up to a finale of vicious betraying Spike. Although I don't think I'd really even want that unless it's done in more of a retro style
Check out how a pimp blings.

Apr 2, 2008 4:35 PM

Nov 2007
loved the ending. i would be one of those people who would be mad at watanabe-sensei for continuing the series. it is perfect the way it is, even the ambiguity of it. couldn't have asked for anymore more.

(although i wouldn't mind for him to do another series :D samurai champloo was great too! watanabe is just a master of his work)
Apr 3, 2008 9:08 PM
Oct 2007
retro style... that might be pretty good... But then again... there isn't much plot to a pre new spike thing... I mean its war, syndicate kill, what not... but nothing much... at least I can't think of anything :P

Apr 8, 2008 8:51 AM

Mar 2008
No way i think the end of bebop is great, okay probably the best anime character dies, but i feel it was for the best, he sacrifices himself to stop vicious.

Apr 19, 2008 5:05 PM

Mar 2008
Any other ending wouldn't have been as...perfect. Still makes me cry though, especially with that ending song and that last shot of his face...
Apr 30, 2008 8:29 PM
Oct 2007
Neko_kurosaki said:
No way i think the end of bebop is great, okay probably the best anime character dies, but i feel it was for the best, he sacrifices himself to stop vicious.

IT could go both ways...

He could have sacrificed himself to stop vicious... or Vicious sacrificed himself to stop the doom of the world.

Jun 9, 2008 5:45 PM

Dec 2007
I kinda miss the last 4 mins.
(what?? I was sleepy it was like 2:00 am & and had waken up early) the ending it was ok with me cuz i couldnt think a lot ^^

But I would have like Spike to stay with Julia or with Faye

Jun 10, 2008 12:13 PM

Feb 2008
The ending was unexpected, shocking and damn sad....

.....thats why its just perfect! ^^
Jun 16, 2008 2:37 PM
Mar 2008
i dont think there could have been a better ending it was just perfect. if it carried on people would complain about it never ending and that the spike never dies no matter wat and how he fights.

even though i was sad to see him die and i did cry...but i loved it...
Jun 30, 2008 8:22 PM

Jun 2008
I loved the endong because it was sad. Things like this happen. I cant say I really actually loved it when Spike died. Youre not supposed to love it really, when the hero dies.
Jul 2, 2008 4:36 PM

Jun 2008
It was a really good ending but it took me by suprise. I actually broke down a little.
Jul 16, 2008 4:41 AM

Mar 2008
Just remembered something, the ending is quite a hit, but the episode about Faye past memories that almost made me cry

"A - TA - SHI! Ganbare! Ganbare!", man my heart almost stop at that point
Jul 18, 2008 2:45 AM

Sep 2007
Lister said:
Just remembered something, the ending is quite a hit, but the episode about Faye past memories that almost made me cry

"A - TA - SHI! Ganbare! Ganbare!", man my heart almost stop at that point

so true, another CB moment that had me in tears
>_<
Jul 18, 2008 8:28 AM

Mar 2008
It's basically time capsule, but never made that kind of thing
Sep 20, 2008 1:07 PM

Jun 2008
of course the ending was tragic
but I guess a happy-ending wouldn't suit this anime
it's too realistic, and Spike's survival wouldn't fit the general atmosphere

OEC ~ CCO ~ TSC+VIP ~ UC ~ TCO ~ TVMF ~ MCC + Other Badges
Nov 5, 2008 12:20 PM

Oct 2008
The first times I watched this show I really hated the end. Can't be... How can one of the greatest anime characters ever die just like that? I remember myself crying the whole time in my bed at night. ;_;

But lately my opinion changed a bit. Of course it's sad and it still makes me want to cry but a happy ending is totally unimaginable. I agree, it wouldn't suit CB at all.
Mar 29, 2009 9:02 PM

Nov 2008
It reminds me of Trigun's ending for some reason except Cowboy Bebop, the protagonist dies.
Apr 25, 2009 1:20 PM

Mar 2009
The ending was perfect. Yes he could've stayed with Faye and Jet, but it wouldn't make a difference. Spike still had his past to deal with.
"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the one.
Born to bear and read to all
The details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen,
Shit the bed again,
Typical."

Rosetta Stoned
Jul 10, 2009 6:55 PM

Apr 2009
For me the series was at like an 8, until the end (which bumped it up to a 10 for me). ''BANG''
Jul 12, 2009 6:54 PM

Jun 2009
The end makes Spike a legend, happy endings don't do that.
Aug 14, 2009 7:39 AM
Aug 2009
It was hinted that Spike was the son of Yuri from Dirty Pair, not Dirty Pair Flash if anyone remembers that anime. I also read someplace but I know with out a link not many people will believe me but anyways I read someplace that the director of the anime said that Spike did not die but he did not say it like that. He said something to the affect that Spike has been though tougher things in his life do you really think hes dead?
CrackerSenseiAug 14, 2009 3:02 PM
Oct 18, 2009 9:00 AM
Oct 2009
I Love How Faye Starts Opening Up To Him Begging Him Not To Go Back ANd Fight The Syndicate And Vicious...But I HEard Rumors That Wantanabe Might Continue The Story..U Can Check Cowboy Bebop's Wiki....He Said THis In An Interview That He Might Continue It...I Can See The Possibilties Cause Spike Could Have Easily Faked His Death
Oct 20, 2009 3:09 AM
Jun 2009
but what reason does spike has to continue living if they continued the series it would totally kill the mood of those two episodes
Oct 28, 2009 9:54 PM

Oct 2009
masaba said:
I have watched that ending about 6 times now, and every time it gets even more emotional. I'm really starting to understand that there was more to this show than just awesome fights and great music, and the ending epitomizes that.

He could have stayed with Faye and Jet and started all over again, and he probably would have been happy. But like he said, he had to find out if he was really living. For him the past three years were like watching a dream, and at some point, the dream has to end, and we must wake up.

At some point, we all have to come to terms with our pasts, whether anything good comes of it or not, just like Faye and Jet did. They had nothing to go back to, so they came back. Spike however, couldn't let Vicious get away with what he had done, he had to end it once and for all, and that was his way of coming to terms with his past.

Jet understood this, and that's why he let Spike go, but Faye, who has abandonment issues, knew that it had to be done, but was reluctant to let go of the little "family" she had left. That is why it was such a masterpiece.

It was tragic, yes, but I would have it no other way.

0_0 *slow claps for you* Thank you. I love the ending personally and even though I do cry it's not really because I'm sad but because it's so beautiful. I hate it when people say it's depressing or that Spike did not die, 'cause I think it's the perfect ending for the show. The truth is Spike and Julia gave up on running away from Vicious forever (which would not have been a satisfying ending) and died ridding the verce of him. And Spike died for more than the girl just like he lived for more than the girl. I expected no less from him and no less from Watanabe-san. I don't need a continuation or a movie or anything, what we have is special and I love every moment of it.
But I love Samurai Champloo too! So yeah time for another great anime by our favorite director!
Spike2071Oct 28, 2009 10:12 PM

"We share the same soul...that's why I have to see him one last time..."
Nov 8, 2009 2:28 AM
Jun 2009
yeah its more plausible for a continuation of champloo than of bebop(remember in anime ,manga,comics nobody really dies...or dies forever u_u_
Nov 10, 2009 11:48 AM

Apr 2008
A continuation of Bebop would cheapen the series as it said all it needed to say in a masterful tone the way it did the first time around
Nov 15, 2009 5:24 PM
Jul 2009
yeah I was 13 when I saw the end and I cried and ate a whole bag of jelly bellys lol but I think it would have felt unresolved if it had ended with a goofy ending and it would have been terrible if they had been like "oh no more bounty hunting were gonna go get safe jobs" yuck
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Dec 21, 2009 5:21 PM
Nov 2009
To me I had tears raining form my eyes at the first half of ep. 25 and at the end I cried like there was no tomorrow. It was a great ending sad that Spike died though the only thing I would like to add to the ending is what happen to Jet, Faye, Edward, and Ein are they ok? And what happen to them? All I want to know is where are they now and what are they doing.
Feb 7, 2010 3:03 AM

Nov 2008
But you know that Spike do not have to die? I mean, author of CB didn't confirmed, that Spike died and that he live either. Its up to us.
But to me the best ending after all is when he really dies. Is very sad, as the most of you said, but it's the best solution.
Feb 8, 2010 3:27 AM

Jan 2009
Had this show had a different ending I don't think I would've liked it as much, it just had to follow the spirit of the series, I also got emotional and was deeply moved but that ending made me love Bebop even more!=)))

P.S.: And I agree with what Spike2071 had to say.
dechoFeb 8, 2010 3:32 AM

Join My Club Shigurui - Death Frenzy (Still in construction)
Feb 28, 2010 3:48 AM

Aug 2009
I think the ending was perfect the way it was.

Still I wouldn't mind if it turned out Spike didn't died and that there was more to it...
I've got faith that the showmakers would make that work too!
But for an ending, a real end, this one was as good as they come, and maybe even better ;) !
May 7, 2010 4:24 PM
Apr 2010
One of the saddest anime endings ever in my opinion!
R.I.P Spike.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Track ( 1 2 )

daya - Oct 16, 2007

54 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 12, 2023 10:36 PM

» Favorite episodes

cbkh915 - Jul 14, 2009

25 by Blazedkunai »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Favourite character?

Gurenn - Jan 14, 2012

29 by azufendei »»
Sep 28, 2022 11:16 PM

» Ed is SO annoying!

Pitrocks14 - Dec 30, 2010

18 by Gabeoclock »»
Apr 25, 2021 2:15 AM

Poll: » Least Favorite Character?

Pitrocks14 - Dec 30, 2010

17 by GrinfilledCelt »»
Aug 21, 2014 12:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.