Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 31, 2015 12:16 AM
Nov 2014
Dark and brilliant, one of the best mushishi episode I have seen so far in the series. It shows you how crazy humans are sometimes and the last scene gave me the chills.
Jun 12, 2015 4:34 PM
May 2010
I don't really like how they used the same "they were never seen again" bit. I think they did the same with another villain back in season 1 too. Oh well.

Aside from that, I agree that it's a good episode. Just as profound as the others.
Jun 13, 2015 9:19 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Oct 14, 2015 4:48 AM

Aug 2008
lol, Ginko set fire to his house.
Never to be seen again.
Also that is some sick tradition with the girl being a tree and needing sacrifices to live longer.
Feb 5, 2016 9:29 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty morbid episode. Head-swapping? reminded me a bit of Kurozuka.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 3, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2010
A rather weird episode.

Pink_Ribbon said:
Never expected Ginko to deal with an ax murderer.
I know right.
May 19, 2016 10:23 AM

Apr 2009
The best and disturbing episode of Mushishi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2016 10:23 AM

Apr 2009
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2016 12:29 AM

Mar 2012
Aww dam, it was more enjoyable the first time I watched it since I didn't expect him to be insane :( Still a decent rewatch I guess.
Sep 14, 2016 8:22 PM

Jun 2016
Of the six I saw until now, this is the darkest, and it made me a bit unconfortable since I'm watching mushi-shi because I thought it was a calming anime.

But I think it has a deep meaning behind, just like all the episodes I've seen; in my opinion, such a tragedy happened because of the selfishness of the family in keeping up a tradition, even if it hurts people, even if it hurts the person they don't wanna hurt, who was Saho. It shows that humans can be even more dangerous than mushis. Fortunately, she got free at the end, and could finally rest in peace.
HATSUNE MIKU TOOK ALL MY WEED !!!!!!!11 😡😡
Oct 11, 2016 9:36 PM

Feb 2009
Ha! The guy was about to chop that head off! At least this one he didn't. Beautiful artwork in this episode as always, but I really wanted to know more about that mushi and the woman.
Nov 5, 2016 4:27 PM

May 2010
What a messed up episode. The moment the guy did the creepy smile and said "You can stay the night." All I could think was "rape??? But for what reason when he already has the tree girl?" So that's what it was about. Killing her and swapping heads. Scary.

Ginko burned that house like a boss. And he did right. That messed up family needs to rot in hell, keep a woman alive just 'cause she's beautiful. Just let her rest in peace.

I wonder how many years passed in that last scene.
Nov 10, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
Yeah, never trust the gardener.
I almost started thinking that Mushishi was getting a bit lighthearted this season, glad to be proved wrong with this episode.

Lighthearted? When that little girl died in the frozen lake? And her brother ended up losing several toes and fingers on top of that? ok we have different views on lighthearted. This episode was by far the darkest one though.

And rather vague as well. Many things where left unexplained. I feel this episode would have worked better as an ova or even a movie given a little more detail and time to explore what exactly has been happning. Like when did the family discover chopping and switching heads works? When did they start this? Was everyone in the family ok with that or did people protest? Did this start in the first generation or later on? Did they kill children when Saho was still a child? Did they end up killing female relatives as well? Is that why we see none currently? Are the men naturallu normal good people, and did her presence end up screwing them up ala like the one ring in lord of the rings screws up people? Or where they just genuine crazy? Did they touch her or was it more platonic protective obsessive? How does Saho not die when her own head gets chopped off and switched to another body? Is she even at all human or pure mushi/tree spirit something given form? Was there a baby abandond or was there a baby made by the tree? Like what was going on? And what happend at the end? Did Saho die? Did her spirit go back to the tree (if it came from the tree to begin with) and where did the guy go? Did after Saho dissapeard the obsession leave and he was overcome by horror of what he has done and kill himself? Was he still crazy and killed himself anyway because he can;t live withoud his precious..I mean Saho? Or did he get swallowed by the fire? If he is alive and Saho was indeed the reason he acted that way, does that mean he is now free and will try to redeem himself somehow somewhere? Or is he still batshit crazy and will hunt down Ginko for revange on taking away his Saho and home? If not why not? Crazy guy has reasons to dislike Ginko now... Like come on, what happend?! I get mystery can be a wonderfull thing. But this story was so interesting I can't help but want to know these things.

i love the episode and with some creative input you can give yourself answers to all of these things.
But I think this story would have worked better with more screen time and at least some of those things answerd.
Nov 28, 2016 2:48 AM

Jan 2012
Veethorn said:
Ha! The guy was about to chop that head off! At least this one he didn't. Beautiful artwork in this episode as always, but I really wanted to know more about that mushi and the woman.

yes thought we will know more about them after ending song but didn't happen

lol ginko solution just start fire

ezaya said:

i would say ep 4
The Hand That Caresses the Night

is more disturbing so far

Apr 4, 2017 10:12 AM

Jan 2016
Holy shit they've been cutting people's heads off! that's kinda too dark for Mushishi

Great episode tho, loved the dark atmosphere.
Jul 26, 2017 12:37 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty fucked up episode, I loved it.

Ginko didn't think it twice before setting the house on fire lmao.
Aug 21, 2017 4:13 AM

Aug 2017
Great episode as always.
At the end I expected another baby to show up btw.
Aug 24, 2017 9:34 AM

Nov 2011
This anime can do no wrong.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 29, 2017 6:56 AM

Apr 2013
This time it wasn't the mushi's fault. The doctors family had way too many screws loose.
Nov 19, 2018 5:17 PM

May 2013
omg Gin's face XDDD

he's so cute hahahah

What a crazy family though O____O||| I bet Saho wanted to die long ago. She just couldn't say it.
Nov 24, 2018 2:25 AM
Apr 2008
Incredibly somber, tragic, mysterious, intriguing. The darkest episode of Mushi-shi so far, by far. It was really like a murder mystery.

This episode also gave me strong vibes of Dark Souls. The same sense of wonder and melancholy at just how fucked up the entire lore was, with the same somber tone and presentation.
Jan 7, 2019 1:53 PM

Oct 2017
Oh my god, I was waiting for this episode for the longest time. Crazy dark tone and tragedy are the things I like the most about this show.
Mar 22, 2019 9:27 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I think I slowly get what disappoints me personally.
Season 1 had more depth. Every Mushi episode was brought with a deep thought about what why and how things have to happen.
Season 2 feels to me more like: Look a mushi this and this happens - end.
I mean rly wonderfull to watch anyway but it's not the 10 points greatness anymore
As if they lost ideas how to bring stuff in this great rational way they did before.

May 8, 2019 10:22 PM
Aug 2014
Geez they were chopping heads off for 300 years. What did the wives think of their husband's obsession with Saho...
May 31, 2019 12:52 AM

May 2013
I'm loving the second season so far; it's darker, creepier and the stuff of nightmares.

My only qualm being Saho's past and history: is she 300 or 80 years old?

Nate ©
Jul 10, 2019 6:18 AM
Apr 2016
Now that was really creepy, very dark themed episode. The psychopathic genetics run through the family, or perhaps all of them turn out like that due to Mushi? Probably.
Oct 6, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2018
Even more particular than usual this episode, whose narrative is interesting yes, but also gruesome at a given time. In truth, even in this story I see a hidden message. Wow! This time, there is no happy ending, how strange!
Drawings, OST etc, promoted with full marks.
Dec 25, 2019 10:10 AM

May 2016
Poor Saho, curse her biological parent for leaving her like that...
and Mansaku is one crazy bastard who started this, Ginko ended 300 years of suffering just like that lowkey...
Feb 12, 2020 6:42 AM

Mar 2019
This episode was full of emotion,the family was being corrupted and ginko finally put a end to it, we know ginko is a protector of life and nature, but for the first time we see him destroying a bit of nature for saving many human lives that would be lost . Overall great episode. Definitely a masterpiece that wont be forgotten
Apr 8, 2020 10:28 PM

Dec 2019
Holy fucking shit... so they have been chopping heads for 300 years??! what a great episode this was, i was scared for Ginko that moment the guy was holding the axe, thankfully everything turned out alright, deffo one of the best episodes in Mushishi!
                                                         🖤   

Jun 3, 2020 8:12 PM

Aug 2019
eeeesh another eerie and super spook episode. Crazy to think there was at least 4 generations of a family cutting innocent peoples heads off to swap their bodys with, basically a tree all thinking it was ok to do. I don't even think it was from any crazy paranormal influence from the Mushi, they were just straight insane.
Thank fuck Ginko put a supposed stop to this, the people you can come across in the wild are crazy.
Jul 26, 2020 12:48 AM

Aug 2018
Intense episode! Ginko continues to save lives!

Oct 18, 2020 2:52 AM

Aug 2018
Serious and dark episode, might actually be one of the darkest I've seen so far.
Feb 8, 2021 4:39 AM

Mar 2018
emeraldrosary said:

After thinking about this episode for a while I got a question. You know what I want to know? What kinds of people were sacrificed? Since Saho is a girl does that mean they required female sacrifices? What freaks me out even more is that the generations of gardeners might have actually sacrificed their own mothers/wives to prolong Saho's life. A terrifying thought.

This episode actually takes this into account per this quote from another thread

randomvoice said:

When Saho speaks at the end of episode six,

This episode already blew my mind on it's horror-ific atmosphere, to see them go into such detail to mix serveral voices to represent this tradition is quite masterful.
May 2, 2021 10:51 AM

Jan 2020
So apparently Saho is a human made of plant, the question is can she give birth to a human?
May 2, 2021 10:53 AM

Jan 2020
I must say this episode had potential to be one of the best episode of the entire Mushishi series however, it is a bit rushed and needs more conclusive end to the episode, like Ginko burned down the house, they were never seen again and the tree revives, THEND.
May 2, 2021 10:56 AM

Jan 2020
Amatniki said:
Intense episode! Ginko continues to save lives!

Indeed, but on the other side Ginko indirectly kills lives.
May 2, 2021 12:34 PM

Jan 2017
Oh man,
Literal goosebumps, this season is getting pretty dark.
I remember the episode featuring the dream eating Mushi was dark but this season is featuring some more messed up dark Mushis.
'Kodama' Mushi wasn't atrocious but the family safeguarding the Mushi did some messed up things.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Sep 2, 2021 12:19 PM

Mar 2007
After this episode I'll never view Cherry Blossom trees the same way again.

Chills AND Shivers.

To echo others, I would have liked to know what happened to the gardener.
Feb 16, 2022 12:14 PM
Nov 2020
shit went from a 0 to 100 REAL QUICK
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 AM

Jun 2007
What a ridiculous episode. It wasn't even explained why the new body is needed, I see no feasible uhh "tree logic" behind it. or mushi logic
see you, space cowperson . . .
Dec 5, 2023 11:47 PM

May 2019
How glorious is that cherry blossom tree? Yet the family is so messed up. This episode got creepier the more I thought of it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2014

125 by I-yas-yes »»
Mar 23, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2014

157 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 15, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2014

175 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 2, 1:25 PM

» Is it just me?

Jundal - Dec 29, 2023

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Jan 9, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2014

93 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 8:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.