Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 9, 2014 9:36 AM

Jun 2013
I would drink Hoshijiro pee anytime too.
May 9, 2014 9:39 AM

Nov 2007
Fai said:
Arkaniet said:

At best its

May 9, 2014 10:51 AM
Feb 2013
skudoops said:
Darkmatterx76 said:

a long chain of mechs where each spends its fuel to get a set ways out, and/or

a large burst or speed and then the inertia to carry them to their destination.

The first one is self explanatory, if each did that then how do they get back if something goes wrong? Something as simple as a rogue asteroid could end up making them lose a ton of mechs/people and failing their mission.

Like I said this episode said more without the characters needing to, the formation thing is one of the things I was referring to. The reason for them is obviously to travel large distances while saving a large amount of energy. It's quite clear from this episode that on its own a lone mech can't get very far, but it's likely that the power increase from 3 others greatly offsets the added weight and allows them to travel faster/further while using less energy.

The second one also doesn't make sense to do because they'd be travelling so slowly the gap between sidonia, them and nagate would just get larger.

Of course their option was just as risky since they practically left Sidonia defenseless but in terms of success it was definitely the best one to use imo.

I don't think you quite understand how (motion in) space works. There is no friction in space, so the inertia one has is directly related to the maximum speed achieved when turning the engine off. If you go with full thrusters, you would definitely be far faster than the speed they are drifting around, and you *would keep going at that speed* even if you turned the engines off. The only problem is pinpointing where they are and calculating a trajectory that brings you in close range to them. Then again, with radar that should be easy (even today, with our technology, we can detect objects as small as 10 cm in LEO).

Which would also negate your first counterargument, btw, that an asteroid would suddenly smash into them unforeseen. First of all, space is very, very empty: the chance of that happening in deep space is next to impossible. Even if they would be in the middle of an asteroid-belt, it would be very unlikely: contrary to movies, asteroids are not packed one aside the other; there are hundred-thousands of kilometres between them. And even then, asteroids are really easy to detect, due to their seize (and if they're extremely small, they wouldn't pose a threat anymore to the ring of mechs).

In fact, I've been wondering what the use is of flying in 4-packs, or in a ring, like in this episode. Normally, this has no advantages. Speed in space is derived from the maximum speed per unit of mass (which gives the inertia and continuous speed, since there is no friction). But 4 engines giving the same thrust at the same time for 4 mass-units are not faster than 1 engine giving that same thrust to 1 mass-unit. One caveat though; I'm speaking of classical propulsion. We do not know how that Higgs-field work (not even *in story* I mean). Maybe those engines create a 'global' field that get exponentially stronger the more engines are creating Higgs-fields in close proximity, or something to that effect.
AnimageNebyMay 9, 2014 10:55 AM
May 9, 2014 11:02 AM

Apr 2014
great episode, thank god i found this anime

the "water" part was hilarious

hope this anime keep on the good tracks
May 9, 2014 11:36 AM
Feb 2013
deityignis said:
Stark700 said:

I liked Nagate's efforts this episode as he puts his own life in danger to save others. I also saw some cute scenes there in space :p. Nice episode again even though life is tough. Oh I also thought the music was done well that matched the mood pretty well with Izana and Nagate in space imo.

Think you mean Hoshijiro and Nagate.

Edit: Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine.

Minus the 'filtered'.
May 9, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 2012
Humza_96 said:
Is there an actual reason why she wears that mask?

Humza_96 said:
Did the Captain Kobayashi say she's 600 years old?

Think about it.
VeldarthMay 9, 2014 12:46 PM
May 9, 2014 12:52 PM
Feb 2011
I wrote on Facebook: #Hoshijiro_Juice
May 9, 2014 12:58 PM
Oct 2010
AnimageNeby said:
skudoops said:
Darkmatterx76 said:

The first one is self explanatory, if each did that then how do they get back if something goes wrong? Something as simple as a rogue asteroid could end up making them lose a ton of mechs/people and failing their mission.

Like I said this episode said more without the characters needing to, the formation thing is one of the things I was referring to. The reason for them is obviously to travel large distances while saving a large amount of energy. It's quite clear from this episode that on its own a lone mech can't get very far, but it's likely that the power increase from 3 others greatly offsets the added weight and allows them to travel faster/further while using less energy.

The second one also doesn't make sense to do because they'd be travelling so slowly the gap between sidonia, them and nagate would just get larger.

Of course their option was just as risky since they practically left Sidonia defenseless but in terms of success it was definitely the best one to use imo.

I don't think you quite understand how (motion in) space works. There is no friction in space, so the inertia one has is directly related to the maximum speed achieved when turning the engine off. If you go with full thrusters, you would definitely be far faster than the speed they are drifting around, and you *would keep going at that speed* even if you turned the engines off. The only problem is pinpointing where they are and calculating a trajectory that brings you in close range to them. Then again, with radar that should be easy (even today, with our technology, we can detect objects as small as 10 cm in LEO).

Which would also negate your first counterargument, btw, that an asteroid would suddenly smash into them unforeseen. First of all, space is very, very empty: the chance of that happening in deep space is next to impossible. Even if they would be in the middle of an asteroid-belt, it would be very unlikely: contrary to movies, asteroids are not packed one aside the other; there are hundred-thousands of kilometres between them. And even then, asteroids are really easy to detect, due to their seize (and if they're extremely small, they wouldn't pose a threat anymore to the ring of mechs).

In fact, I've been wondering what the use is of flying in 4-packs, or in a ring, like in this episode. Normally, this has no advantages. Speed in space is derived from the maximum speed per unit of mass (which gives the inertia and continuous speed, since there is no friction). But 4 engines giving the same thrust at the same time for 4 mass-units are not faster than 1 engine giving that same thrust to 1 mass-unit. One caveat though; I'm speaking of classical propulsion. We do not know how that Higgs-field work (not even *in story* I mean). Maybe those engines create a 'global' field that get exponentially stronger the more engines are creating Higgs-fields in close proximity, or something to that effect.

The asteroid was just an example, if they make a big chain and something interferes with it everyone will be lost since no one would have the fuel to get back into position.

The part about inertia I concede because I have no idea how movement in space worked and assumed that they would be slowed due to gravity being present everywhere. Third part of my statement is pretty much implying what you've just said. That there's a power increase from the formations that offset the added weight. You are definitely more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, so whatever explanation they give you can tell me if it's plausible or not.

Humza_96 said:
Did the Captain Kobayashi say she's 600 years old? She looks kinda hot without that weird mask on.
Is there an actual reason why she wears that mask?

And one again why the f is there a talking bear who is also apparently 600 years old?

LOL at the fresh 'water' he drank.

I believe in the first few episodes (maybe first) there was talk of "undead people" governing sidonia and people were protesting.
May 9, 2014 1:12 PM

Jan 2008
Lovely episode, they were both so adorable, alone, in the space.

Also, nice 'background story' part.
-
May 9, 2014 1:13 PM

Oct 2011
Those moments with Nagate and Hoshijiro were romantic. Giving your urine for your lover was beautiful. Sidonia knows their hero and they went to rescue him regardless. Hah 257 cells XDD.

Whoa Kuma, commander, and Nagate's grandpa know each other. Dat history lesson.

Kobayashi was the founder of Sidonia then????

I hope Izana and Nagate have some more moments with each other.

Why is this 12 episodes NOOO!!!
May 9, 2014 2:28 PM
Feb 2013
skudoops said:
AnimageNeby said:
skudoops said:
Darkmatterx76 said:

The asteroid was just an example, if they make a big chain and something interferes with it everyone will be lost since no one would have the fuel to get back into position.

The part about inertia I concede because I have no idea how movement in space worked and assumed that they would be slowed due to gravity being present everywhere. Third part of my statement is pretty much implying what you've just said. That there's a power increase from the formations that offset the added weight. You are definitely more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, so whatever explanation they give you can tell me if it's plausible or not.

Well, the point is, deep space is really, really empty: the chance that something of any considerable mass hits you there, is *extremely* low to non-existent. *In story* one may presume the most likely threat would be the Gauna. But let's face it; if fear of that was the reason, they wouldn't have left Sidonia unprotected in the first place, nor would they have gone without their spears. They were clearly confident that no other Gauna was in the neighbourhood, and the chance of any other 'natural' collisions in deep space is negligible.

There is another plausible reason why they didn't 'each' spend its fuel in turn to get a chain of mechs there (and back). That's inertia again. If one (or a couple) of mechs would have to get a whole ring or chain of mechs (aka, all the added mass) moving, the inertia to overcome would be gigantic, and thus, it would start to move very, very slowly. Seen the time-restraint (apparently, it took already 10-11 days to get there, depending on when they left), this might not have been the best option.

Nah, in deep space you would only have microgravity. And gravity doesn't inherently slow you down; it can also speed you up. It depends on what direction the gravity is in. If a very heavy object (planetmass) popped up right behind them, it would slow their forward movement, yes. But beside of such an unlikely thing, all trajectories are curves in space (ellipses, and such), and stars are much too far to have any drastic (slowing) influence on it (besides, there are stars in any direction). Basically, your speed remains and you don't slow down, unless one has to escape from a gravity-well.

As for what is 'plausible'. On itself, the whole 4-pack/ring thing with the mechs then being able to move faster or more efficient is implausible in reality. At least, with our current understanding of/for all linear propulsion methods, be it chemical, nuclear, etc. Of course, we're talking sci-fi here. And where one once thought things to be impossible, like the warp drive of Startrek, it seems you're never sure (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/164326-nasa-discusses-its-warp-drive-research-prepares-to-create-a-warp-bubble-in-the-lab).

Anyway, *within story* they use that higgs drive - which doesn't exist in r/l, and which we don't know much of in the anime neither - and if one wants to explain why a 4 pack would be faster than 1 mech (in comparison to their relative masses), then a possible explanation (again, *in story*) would be that those engines, when activated in close proximity, somehow generate a greater force together, than 4 individual ones apart. Otherwise, the whole set-up with pairing up in quads or rings 'to be faster', doesn't make sense.

Of course, one has to have some suspension of disbelief in anime, including this one. And not everything is (scientifically) perfect. But all in all they at least try to do a good job showing the different concepts in space (like gravity). So far, I'm liking the anime a lot.
AnimageNebyMay 9, 2014 4:33 PM
May 9, 2014 2:45 PM
Feb 2011
AnimeFan500 said:
Sidonia knows their hero and they went to rescue him regardless. Hah 257 cells XDD.

I almost expected the Vice captain would say, "so I'll just detonate them all!"
May 9, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2013
Finally they've been rescued. Tanikaze survived thanks to the "fresh" water.
May 9, 2014 2:56 PM

Mar 2012
I'm feeling romance somewhere *-*
May 9, 2014 3:02 PM

Jul 2008
AnimageNeby said:

Anyway, *within story* they use that higgs drive - which doesn't exist in r/l, and which we don't know much of in the anime neither - and if one wants to explain why a 4 pack would be faster then 1 mech (in comparison to their relative masses), then a possible explanation (again, *in story*) would be that those engines, when activated in close proximity, somehow generate a greater force together, then 4 individual ones apart. Otherwise, the whole set-up with pairing up in quads or rings 'to be faster', doesn't make sense.

Of course, one has to have some suspension of disbelief in anime, including this one. And not everything is (scientifically) perfect. But all in all they at least try to do a good job showing the different concepts in space (like gravity). So far, I'm liking the anime a lot.

I think the only "explanation" (I use that very liberally) for the group travel, as you say, is some unknown quality with the Higgs engine... Although the reference to "Higgs Particle Membrane" (translation?) made me wonder if their Higgs technology could be loosely based on some future (alternate / sci-fi ) reality study of the Higgs boson ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson ) or if the names are just coincidentally the same... would be a big coincidence though.

On a character note... Does anyone else think Hoshijiro might bite the bullet in the next episode or possibly the one after? The final scene in the preview coupled with the title ("Salute") gave me the feeling that her imminent demise may be upon us.
May 9, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
killbethy said:
AnimageNeby said:

Anyway, *within story* they use that higgs drive

I think the only "explanation" (I use that very liberally) for the group travel, as you say, is some unknown quality with the Higgs engine...

There is no Higgs engine in the anime. It's spelled Hyggs. It's delibaretely spelled differently because it has no link to the Higgs boson. It might just be named resembling Higgs just to look cool.
May 9, 2014 3:26 PM

Nov 2011
killbethy said:
On a character note... Does anyone else think Hoshijiro might bite the bullet in the next episode or possibly the one after? The final scene in the preview coupled with the title ("Salute") gave me the feeling that her imminent demise may be upon us.

The preview and the swift romantic development raised a ton of death flags; I don't think anyone would be surprised if she bites the dust instead of a bullet.
May 9, 2014 4:20 PM
Feb 2013
Kolios said:
killbethy said:
AnimageNeby said:

Anyway, *within story* they use that higgs drive

I think the only "explanation" (I use that very liberally) for the group travel, as you say, is some unknown quality with the Higgs engine...

There is no Higgs engine in the anime. It's spelled Hyggs. It's delibaretely spelled differently because it has no link to the Higgs boson. It might just be named resembling Higgs just to look cool.

The likeness of the two words is too great to be coincidence. It's clear the mangaka was making a reference to it, if not as something that has to do with an imaginary/ sci-fi version of the actual particle, then at least as a way (in a meta-context) of having a terminology that resonates familiar with people (and, indeed, has the 'coolness' effect). And even more so now, where even most layman will have made the connotation of the word with physics, thanks to the discovery.
May 9, 2014 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
Some people here really need to learn how to use the spoiler tags...
May 9, 2014 4:43 PM

May 2012
05:31 swiiim

06:26 hug her already

12:57 naisu badii

GRAVITIEEE
7.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 9, 2014 4:54 PM

Jul 2012
One of my AOTS for sure. Perfect atmosphere - isolated, lonely, space-y, quiet. It did it all. The innocence of the couple is kind of sweet until the urine scene. That was kind of weird. I expected her to kiss him instead.
May 9, 2014 5:12 PM
Aug 2012
Oh boy, if this keeps following the manga from this point onwards, this show is going to be one hell of a rollercoaster of feelings.

Strap yourselves in folks, it's going to be great. . . A little worried about the 12 episode limit though.
May 9, 2014 5:34 PM

Dec 2008
The secret surrounding Nagate's existence is killing me!

Sent with Mal Updater
May 9, 2014 6:26 PM

Jul 2012
shurryy said:
Strap yourselves in folks, it's going to be great. . . A little worried about the 12 episode limit though.

Prayer circle for season two/sequel nao.
May 9, 2014 6:40 PM

Mar 2011
This is quite possibly the only anime I will ever watch where the main guy accidentally sees another girl nekkid because she was "photosynthesizing." I also found it hilarious how their magical spears come from a floating piece of space cheese. And of course, fresh water.
May 9, 2014 7:16 PM

Apr 2012
Ted Bear wouldn't have done it better :D

Anyway it was a great episode ^^
May 9, 2014 7:58 PM

Jan 2011
I actually thought about drinking urine to keep hydrated just before the filtration scene. Great atmosphere and this time the nudity didn't feel out of place.
May 9, 2014 8:44 PM

Aug 2013
She fed him her pee. How sweet :3

That was a REALLY good episode. One of my favorite episodes of Ergo Proxy is where they are stranded in the middle of nowhere, unsure of whether or not they will survive. This episode of Sidonia was exactly like that, and I enjoyed it just as much. It was a nice break from the non-stop action so far.

The blushing thing is happening SO often now, and it's so awkward, it's starting to be funny.
May 9, 2014 9:30 PM

Jun 2012
I bet this is how Bear Grylls got his wife, except instead of stranded in space they were in some rainforest or something.
May 9, 2014 10:02 PM

Apr 2012
Dat photosynthesis fan service huehue.
lol @ the filtrated pee. Then the guy offering Nagate some his filtrated pee XD. That was awesome

Epic rescue formation

this Hoshijiro x Nagate pairing is not gonna end well....... Just got a feeling b/c it's way too early into the show lol .
zzzeallyMay 10, 2014 1:54 AM

May 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, finally some good character development
May 9, 2014 11:28 PM
Oct 2013
Excellent arrangement, great anime.
May 10, 2014 12:35 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone knows a relationship cannot fully blossom until one drink its mate's urine.
May 10, 2014 3:41 AM
Jun 2008
Hannah_Ana said:
The secret surrounding Nagate's existence is killing me!

Sent with Mal Updater

Well if you want to know you can click this spoiler...

I suggest you wait though since its pretty interesting

Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
May 10, 2014 3:55 AM
Sep 2011
shurryy said:

It wont be able to cover much with 12 episodes, hoping for a split cour at this point... but not sure how likely it is
May 10, 2014 4:44 AM

Dec 2010
This episode felt as a good relief after all we've been through. It developed the relationship between my favorite characters.

The possibility that there may be other ships hooked me even more *o*
May 10, 2014 6:17 AM

Mar 2013
Don't these people know how space works?

Once they reach maximum thrust or hell even %50 thrust, they should kill their engines and drift. This whole episode could've been averted if the MC went half speed and drifted to his GF to conserve fuel.

Also, 256 units to recover 2 people? I'm no mission planner, but that seems like fucking overkill.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 10, 2014 6:43 AM

Mar 2008
DerpHole said:

Once they reach maximum thrust or hell even %50 thrust, they should kill their engines and drift. This whole episode could've been averted if the MC went half speed and drifted to his GF to conserve fuel.
I'm terrible with physics, so shoot me if i'm wrong.

I don't think it would have mattered if MC conserved fuel, because Sidonia continued to move - meaning they would never be able to catch up unless they were able to accelerate to a greater speed than that which Sidonia was moving away from them at.
May 10, 2014 7:23 AM

Mar 2013
Ckan said:
DerpHole said:

I'm terrible with physics, so shoot me if i'm wrong.

I don't think it would have mattered if MC conserved fuel, because Sidonia continued to move - meaning they would never be able to catch up unless they were able to accelerate to a greater speed than that which Sidonia was moving away from them at.

Once he achieved said "greater speed" than she was moving away at, he could've just cut his engines and drifted to her. Still having his engines on when he's already achieved the necessary speed is a waste.

For example, If you accelerate to 15000 MPH in space, you can kill your engines after achieving that speed and drift at that speed for eternity (as long as you don't encounter anything which might catch you in its orbit and slow you down).

I'm just being nit-picky because these mobile suits are always being shown with their thrusters on, when in actuality it would be better to cut them once you achieved your desired output.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 10, 2014 8:36 AM

Sep 2013
That was great, this show is the only one I'm truly looking forward to this season.

Also, holy shit I can't believe they actually showed the pee scene. It's awesome they did, yes, because that is what they should've done in a real situation, but still. That really caught me off guard. xD

But yeah, nice, almost "private" episode with Nagate and Hoshijiro. Just exactly what I wanted from all the action of last episode. The moments of slight romance were well done.

I'd say it's just a mecha trope in general. In Gundam, for an example, the mechas also always have their thrusters at full power, even when in space. Not really a big deal.
cupcMay 11, 2014 1:01 PM
May 10, 2014 9:18 AM

Aug 2012
DerpHole said:
I'm just being nit-picky because these mobile suits are always being shown with their thrusters on, when in actuality it would be better to cut them once you achieved your desired output.

"Inertial navigation" is only used effectively in long distances. It makes no sense for them to turn off their thrusters for short distances.
VeldarthMay 10, 2014 11:32 AM
May 10, 2014 12:06 PM

Aug 2013
I liked this episode, survival in space was interesting.

Also filtered urine.

I'm pretty surprised no one died this episode, this show has not a care in the world when it comes to killing someone off it seems like.
My Candies:
May 10, 2014 12:08 PM

Dec 2013
dragonlight said:
I bet this is how Bear Grylls got his wife, except instead of stranded in space they were in some rainforest or something.

I loled at this...

Sidonia no Kishi is definitely the surprise of the season, and think that I would not follow it. Too bad it will only have 12 episodes and we're already halfway.
May 10, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2010
Why is this so good, even with fanservice shots and silly romance. I inevitably fell in love with this show so I'm fine with everything that tries to accomplish. Not that I mean it was bad, but I usually don't enjoy it in these kinds of anime.
May 10, 2014 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
Akanezora said:
Why is this so good, even with fanservice shots and silly romance. I inevitably fell in love with this show so I'm fine with everything that tries to accomplish. Not that I mean it was bad, but I usually don't enjoy it in these kinds of anime.

Because photosynthesis fan service is the best kind of fan service

May 10, 2014 12:53 PM

Aug 2013
That was one big ass formation... Didn't expected that defense team to go save them. I guess they owe him their lifes after all, if he hadn't defeated the Gauna, those inexperimented soldier would have had to go fight or at least slow an enemy they don't even know.

Nagate is such a fucking boss, waging his life for Hoshijiro. Well, not that she isn't worth it... ;)

I don't know if Nagase is in watersport but if yes, he must have been fulfilled xD

Anyway, it was really oddly romantic, two souls lost in space. Izana will be mad by how close they are now :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 10, 2014 3:17 PM

Sep 2012
They've added some scenes there were supposed to appear only in next episodes, but otherwise it was very well-adapted and added a scene that was missing from the previous episode.
May 10, 2014 6:18 PM

Feb 2013
Who would approve of using ALL battle frames for a rescue?... on right, nobody, they did it on their own. That big ring of frames did look pretty sweet.
May 10, 2014 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
Six pages and no Bear Grylls joke? I know it's old, but still. MAL, you disappoint me.
May 10, 2014 6:52 PM

Jul 2011
Well I have to wonder if it's really necessary to go full nude for photosynthesis, and urine filteration in that skin tight suit (where? o.o) is convenient. But I like the development. There's romantic vibes for sure, but nothing explicit and I'm glad for that.

The Hive structures... hm, I wonder if they are Guana nests? Haha, we'll see. That episode flew past and even though I feel like nothing happened, alot of character and plot building was done.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.