3It was OK
8.5%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.5
47 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2009 5:43 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
54 out now!!!

Gag or serious for next story?
IZUMI64Sep 17, 2009 5:51 PM
Sep 17, 2009 6:09 PM

Nov 2007
Ha ha battle against the editor, but I have to agree with them the editor seems to disagree with them on a lot of points which I think he shouldn't have, it'll be interesting seeing where this goes.
Sep 17, 2009 7:18 PM

Jun 2007
First of all... page 18, first panel <33

They're finally facing their editor and i'm glad. I think it fits them better a dark manga, hope they convince him >:D
Sep 17, 2009 7:19 PM

Jun 2009
Now , let's start the guessing game. What will ashirogi's next manga be?

the obvious answer lies with the title 'bakuman' of course. So something about spirits, with battles and is darkish in tone. Something like Neuro or Kekkaishi perhaps.

Oh, good chapter, btw.
Sep 17, 2009 7:25 PM

May 2008
AHHH Its getting so good. I cant wait for the next chap!! i didnt expect them to go back to "money and intelligence".
Sep 17, 2009 8:31 PM

Jul 2008
that was a great chap, love the discussion on what to do next. really makes you think about manga and what makes some better than others, this is a manga for manga lovers. Thinking of raising my score of 9 for this to a 10 right about now lol.
Sep 17, 2009 10:37 PM

Jun 2009
After read this manga I knew why To-Love ru finished few weeks ago...Lol
Sep 17, 2009 10:41 PM

Nov 2007
yep a gag romance would be nice but really wouldn't suit them just as Miura doesn't as editor. something similar to money and intelligence should be nice.
Sep 17, 2009 10:43 PM

Feb 2008
well if they're going to go dark, they'll have to find a way to make it appeal to the Jump audience. which pretty much means making it an extremely violent angst ridden battle manga, or a mystery type manga with lots of gory and/or sadistic murders. maybe I'm underestimating the fans, but I don't think they'd really go for anything that relied on a dark and complex plot if there wasn't a whole lot of blood and violence to prop it up.
Sep 17, 2009 11:17 PM

Aug 2008
It's hard to tell what kind of dark settings they will use... the only thing I know is that they shouldn't have thrown the manuscripts too the goddamned river/ocean!!! they should have kept them... I know that the final outcome of that event of their life was a total let down, but damn.. even Eiji and Mr. Hattori, their first editor, the editor that fits them the most say it... They'll definitely make a better Dark manga than a gag manga... Plus Mashiro already knows what's to make a gag manga.. I mean his uncle did it.. And it was his only successful manga... But Gag mangas are tricky... Hmmm... Dark + Gag... That gotta be a great mix XD... And I see Bakuman coming!!! XD

Lol at Miyoshi... And YAY! here Boobs are back! XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2009 11:32 PM

Jul 2009
Are they going to write Seinen manga? wow..
I was hoping they will wrote parody like Gintama, but Seinen's dark manga is also awesome like Zetman perhaps?
Sep 17, 2009 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
Laevantein said:
I was hoping they will wrote parody like Gintama, but Seinen's dark manga is also awesome like Zetman perhaps?

Genius like Shujin write gag...

doesn't suit at all
Sep 17, 2009 11:45 PM

Jul 2009
IZUMI64 said:
Laevantein said:

Genius like Shujin write gag...

doesn't suit at all
That is was i hoping for, but i guess they will write Dark Seinen manga with gag as an ingredients with a hero of course like Zetman
Sep 17, 2009 11:46 PM

Jul 2008
so will they go comedy, or will they go dark? can't wait to see what they do
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 18, 2009 12:54 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i hope they don't do comedy.

LMAO at "without her around ppl might think we're gay"

eiji is epic as always :D

oh i just realized Eiji's character is gag + dark rolled into one! awesome!

edit: wow. i definitely meant to say that I DON'T want them to do comedy. I guess that's what happens when i post at 1am :|
NaruleachSep 18, 2009 4:42 PM
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Sep 18, 2009 1:08 AM

Apr 2009
A mix of dark and comedy might not be that bad...
And quite a challenge for them !

(loved Mashiro half-sleeping panels ^^)
Sep 18, 2009 5:03 AM

Jul 2009
I hope they do a serious manga. I still think it'll be called Bakuman whatever they do XD
Sep 18, 2009 5:22 AM

Jan 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Shujin combined both ideas and makes a manga which focuses on satire. Well, looking forward to more Bakuman that's for sure.
Sep 18, 2009 5:24 AM

Jun 2008
Hmm.. I wonder what they're gonna choose.
I'd prefer a dark manga, though. :P
Sep 18, 2009 5:25 AM

Jan 2008
it wouldn't feel right if shujin writes a gag manga
a dark manga is more fitting for them

i think that their next manga will be called bakuman^^
Sep 18, 2009 7:27 AM

May 2009
Things are really becoming interesting...a dark manga suit them pretty well..
Sep 18, 2009 8:41 AM
Jul 2008
i think a gag manga won't only not fit them, but also won't fit oba and obata. Can't imagine, that they can make a story about a gag-manga interesting, so i really hope it will be a dark manga, or maybe dark comedy.
Sep 18, 2009 9:25 AM

Jul 2008
I sense a rebellion~!
Sep 18, 2009 10:49 AM

Jul 2009
I think they'll go with comedy eventually
since bakuman means something like joy of laugher man
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 18, 2009 11:14 AM
Jan 2008
jacobpaige said:
well if they're going to go dark, they'll have to find a way to make it appeal to the Jump audience. which pretty much means making it an extremely violent angst ridden battle manga, or a mystery type manga with lots of gory and/or sadistic murders. maybe I'm underestimating the fans, but I don't think they'd really go for anything that relied on a dark and complex plot if there wasn't a whole lot of blood and violence to prop it up.

Wait, do you mean Death Note got serialized in Afternoon and not in Weekly Jump?
Oh, and for those who say "I wish they'd do a seinen manga": they should turn to another magazine for that (they really should if they didn't want to have an anime of their series). It isn't SHONEN Jump's thing to publish manga for older audience.

Anyway, I can't help thinking about Death Note when reading Bakuman. The cult manga thing, everyone's high hopes for their new manga (I can't deny it), wanting to do the same thing without discussing it first (for example Gothic Lolita for Misa's character), Saiko doing artwork for others while they're not being serialized... I feel like the manuscript for Bakuman comes from experience. Maybe they've mixed their personalities because in this chapter, it would seem that Saiko is the clean type (unlike Obata) and Shujin be the one who doesn't care (opposite to Ohba). I wonder if they have more in common besides that.

Himo said:
i think a gag manga won't only not fit them, but also won't fit oba and obata. Can't imagine, that they can make a story about a gag-manga interesting, so i really hope it will be a dark manga, or maybe dark comedy.

Shujin wants to go with gags and Saiko feels frustrated drawing simple art for that... Oh the drama! I feel like that's what Obata's feeling right now. But Ohba likes comedy! : ---D
Anyway, when they drew Money And Intelligence, I would have loved to be able to read it, but I didn't get much of that feeling when they did Trap. I agree with your suggestions.

One gag a week, it was the same in DN, though it wasn't always so obvious in that. This week's gag was definitely the sports college thing. :D
I like Hiramaru gags the most though. :]
(Wow, someone should really update his description here! He's a comic relief character!)

Am I allowed to post without an avatar?
Sep 18, 2009 3:13 PM

Aug 2007
Takagi's talents are definitely with mystery, thriller, suspense... all the typical mystery type series. He had to study up on comedy. Of course that wouldn't be his strong point. Miura's trying to help, but he doesn't know them very well. Gintama is unique in its story, but if they made a manga similar to it, it would probably fall flat.

oooh this is so interesting. They really need to know their own strengths though! So they can argue with Miura properly.
Sep 18, 2009 3:53 PM

Dec 2008
fisher_88 said:
Now , let's start the guessing game. What will ashirogi's next manga be?

the obvious answer lies with the title 'bakuman' of course. So something about spirits, with battles and is darkish in tone. Something like Neuro or Kekkaishi perhaps.

Like people said earlier, they should add twisted humor in it too if they do go down that path, it'd only make it better, and at least the 'comedy' part will still be included although quite vulgar compared to the standards.

Nice chapter, although that last panel was drawn in an over-dramatic way, eugh.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Sep 18, 2009 4:06 PM

Aug 2008
Naruleach said:
i hope they do comedy.

LMAO at "without her around ppl might think we're gay"

eiji is epic as always :D

oh i just realized Eiji's character is gag + dark rolled into one! awesome!
Indeed man!!! Lol.... the GAY part was totally hilarious... And Eiji is quite interesting... Shujin really need to look to Eiji!!! Hahahaha... XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 4:36 PM

Apr 2009
yay the series iz moving along now! =D thank GOD they didnt go through a 3 chapter lag and their jumping right back into the game! w00t!! i think there should be a mix of dark and humor (Full Metal Alchemist and D.Gray-Man come to mind) their next manga will be most likely named Bakuman (like this hasnt been said before) i think doing the one-shot iz a smarter and safer idea, but that would probably make the story boring so they most likely will start the new series right away. i didnt agree with Miura very much but i think Saiko bashed him a little too hard >.< i hope there iz a little humor in the next series (just not based on humor)

there were a lot of little quirks to this chapter that i luved <3 i though the positions Saiko wuz in when he wuz mopping the floor wuz super-cute! and his reason for having Miyoshi there being "so nobody will think we're gay" made me lol so hard xDD and i luv when Hattori and Eiji ramdomly show up (i luv u both! <3)

this manga iz so awesome! i luv how its a big look into the life of a manga artist and it definitely made me look at manga in a new way =3 i cnt wait for the next week now!
Sep 18, 2009 5:55 PM

Jul 2008
oo a rebellion eh? XD
this is getting interesting how will they win over their editor....
Sep 18, 2009 6:46 PM
May 2008
hmm... i can't tell if bakuman would be the title for a dark or a gag manga...
and these are pretty extreme to find a way to compromise... but since they've done well with dark, i'd say dark.
Sep 18, 2009 9:19 PM

Feb 2008
Maybe they can do a mix?
Afterall, Trap's last chapters got some gags and they were on 13th.... And most people seem to enjoy some gag scenes, specially if they break the strong feeling when characters are saying some serious stuff.

But wait...
About Eiji... I don't know... They were asking him to say like he was their rival... And he even points that out in his thoughts ["a rival..."]... So, I think he might be lying to them and telling to do a dark manga.
:/ I don't know, I don't trust Eiji. But I still love him, of course.

They should talk to their editor. Editors are not always right. See the case about To-Love-Ru.

PS: I LOL'd so hard at that part when Shuujin was talking about "maybe we can do a manga about something normal that becomes exciting", cause Bakuman is a really good example of that XDDD Obata and Ohba really did a great job transforming something lame like being a mangaka into a super exciting story that gets me the same feeling that Claymore gets on me.

PS2: sorry about the Engrrriish, it's 1:20 am now and I'm so sleepy lol
Sep 18, 2009 9:35 PM

Jun 2009
There are few shounen titles that don't have some comedy in them, so that's not the issue.

The issue is whether they need to do gags (more episodic, think onidere) or a darker series - it's really hard to combine both in one series. The only way I can see it is if the start with gag, then turn serious, like what's been done with Kekkaishi and Reborn. Is there any other way to combine dark and gag (not the same as comedy)?

Hakoria said:
Like people said earlier, they should add twisted humor in it too if they do go down that path, it'd only make it better, and at least the 'comedy' part will still be included although quite vulgar compared to the standards.

Nice chapter, although that last panel was drawn in an over-dramatic way, eugh.

Like Neuro? Of course it's not gonna be a detective series.
Sep 19, 2009 3:50 AM

May 2009
god, i hope they do something dark again. it'd be disappointing if they did a gag/battle manga.
Sep 19, 2009 8:32 AM

Oct 2008
"We've been together since Jr. high. Without her around, people might think we're gay."

Awesome line.
Sep 19, 2009 2:43 PM

Sep 2008
hopefully they can make some dark manga like death note, or something lkike that
eiji can be good giving advices
go to hell miura
IZUMI64 said:
After read this manga I knew why To-Love ru finished few weeks ago...Lol
true
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Sep 20, 2009 3:47 AM

Nov 2008
I disagree with Miura too and Hattori was way better!
Eiji is a God XD I'm excited to see what they will do for their dark manga :D

Sep 20, 2009 6:29 PM
May 2009
Dark manga. Dark, dark, dark! ^^
It probably won't be called "Bakuman." o.o;

One-shot would be the best for them at this moment.
Sep 21, 2009 9:30 AM

Jun 2008
Can't wait to see what they come up with!!! :D I like the idea of a dark manga.
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
Sep 21, 2009 9:42 PM

Feb 2008
fisher_88 said:
There are few shounen titles that don't have some comedy in them, so that's not the issue.

The issue is whether they need to do gags (more episodic, think onidere) or a darker series - it's really hard to combine both in one series. The only way I can see it is if the start with gag, then turn serious, like what's been done with Kekkaishi and Reborn. Is there any other way to combine dark and gag (not the same as comedy)?

Hum... I think there can be dark and comedy mixed. Like in Kuroshitsuji [forgetting about the "shounen-ai" thing.]
Sep 22, 2009 11:57 PM

Feb 2008
i hope they do "money and intelligence" - but i guess they're gonna end up doing "bakuman" since that name hasnt even come up yet
Feb 3, 2010 3:35 AM

Oct 2008
thats right boys, stick to your guns, FIGHT THE POWER!
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 17, 2010 12:13 PM

Jun 2009
They should go for one genre or similar genre to Trap.. but to change it to the opposite will just make them Mr. Random
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 24, 2011 4:26 PM

Mar 2011
I liked how the mangaka subtly spoke of his excellence when he had them say the best mangakas make ordinary daily life interesting.

I also do like Myoshi's physical dominance over Saiko. I know she's supposed to be a judo champion, but I have seen no evidence that she still actively trains. She always seems to be with Ashirogi Muto.
Jun 17, 2012 6:10 AM

Oct 2008
Seriously, what's up with Miura? It's impossible to even think of Ashirogi Muto doing comedy. They should go for the dark manga! Eiji always gives the best suggestions. It's like he always guides them which path to choose.
Nov 10, 2021 4:38 AM

Dec 2007
full fight vs miura!!

seriously, gag doesn't fit takgi, there's clear difference between making non-stiff dialogues to make whole series of it.

takagi; genius manga is one who can make ordinary things to be interesting such going to school.
lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 144 Discussion

Naokohiro - Aug 21, 2011

39 by Adriannitro »»
Apr 2, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 22 Discussion

Kirstenx - Jan 23, 2009

39 by tectacles »»
Mar 5, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 21 Discussion

Faust721 - Jan 16, 2009

38 by tectacles »»
Mar 5, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 16 Discussion

Jello - Nov 28, 2008

29 by tectacles »»
Feb 13, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Bakuman Chapter 15 Discussion

Faust721 - Nov 20, 2008

31 by tectacles »»
Feb 13, 12:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.